Rams sign QB Nick Foles to 2-year extension

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
12 mil a year isn't bad for a starting QB. It's a bit of a gamble but nothing compared to what we've been used to (whether Bradford can make it though a season). Also gives Mannion time to learn since he seems to have some potential.....

Agreed.

It's a fair amount of coin. But both are betting on each other at that level.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Unless he absolutely sucks there was little chance the Rams would want to replace Foles for 2016 - Mannion would likely need more seasoning in the best case scenario. This way the Rams get Foles for 2016 - and then either give him an extension if he's a star, or get to choose whether to cut him and eat a little salary cap space, and give Mannion the job. It'll be interesting to see what conditions have to be met for the last year to be voided.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Great news. That's a steal if he ends up being a solid QB for us.

If we didn't sign him and he went out and had a strong season, he could've easily earned $16-18M per season on the free agent market.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
St. Louis signs St. Nick
830ebf25568467.5537c1cdadb1d.png

RamBill

Legend
Rams sign Foles to contract extension
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_5249bd39-5147-5ccf-a705-c3b8e3a2665f.html

Without throwing a pass for the Rams in the regular season, or even the preseason, the Rams have seen enough in Nick Foles. They signed their new starting quarterback to a two-year contract extension Friday, shortly before the start of the team's practice/scrimmage at Lindenwood University.

Confirmed contract details weren't immediately available, but Foles will be under contract through the 2017 season with the Rams. Initial reports via ESPN said it was a two-year extension for $24.5 million. Other reports indicated that $14 million was guaranteed.

"It's his baby now," said coach Jeff Fisher, who announced the deal after Friday's practice. "This is his team. So we've got to go win games."

The Rams have more than a dozen players, either starters or key role players, with contracts that expire at the end of this season. Foles, who was acquired in the Sam Bradford trade in March, was at the top of the list.

"I think from the moment we made the trade, we always knew we wanted to try to find a way to get Nick some security," Rams executive vice president Kevin Demoff said. "And for us to be able to plan for the long-term future with Nick at quarterback. We looked at a lot of different ideas and concepts, and spent a few months with his representatives trying to come up with something that made sense for both sides."

Foles, 26, earned a Pro Bowl berth with Philadelphia in 2013 _ a season in which he threw 27 touchdown passes and only two interceptions. But he struggled in 2014, and missed half the season with a broken collarbone.

"I'm blessed," Foles said after practice. "I'm just really thankful to Mr. (Stan) Kroenke, Coach Fisher, Les (Snead), and Kevin. I'm just thankful to be here _ be with these guys. . . .It really is a honor to be here and be wanted here."

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Read recently the Rams hsd 6.5 M of cap space. Then Pead took about a 700k hair cut. So I would guess some of Foles' extension comes in the form of a bonus this year to reduce his cap number next year, but of course they still need some space to extend Jenkins or whoever.

Also starting to think both Hayes and Sims could be gone next year if Westbrook steps up. Plus Ayers adds pass rush and I would think Fisher is itching to draft DE high in the draft.

RamBill

Legend
Jim Thomas ‏@jthom1

Numbers confirmed at $26 million over 3 years. The 2-year extension is $24.5 million (for 2016 & '17). The '17 season can be voided.

The '17 season voided based on team wins and Pro Bowl. So it keeps Foles around for a while, but not exactly a long-term deal.

Nick Wagoner ‏@nwagoner

Here are the numbers for Foles. Wrote over the summer that deal in the $12-14 million annual range would make sense.

At first blush, this seems like a logical deal on both sides between #Rams and Nick Foles.

For #Rams, it doesn't break the bank and they can get out relatively easy if he struggles

For Nick Foles, he gets another bite at apple soon if he excels. He'll only be 29 when this deal would presumably expire.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Read recently the Rams hsd 6.5 M of cap space. Then Pead took about a 700k hair cut. So I would guess some of Foles' extension comes in the form of a bonus this year to reduce his cap number next year, but of course they still need some space to extend Jenkins or whoever.

Also starting to think both Hayes and Sims could be gone next year if Westbrook steps up. Plus Ayers adds pass rush and I would think Fisher is itching to draft DE high in the draft.
It's an extension. He plays this year under his current contract and then the extension starts in 2016. Nothing changes for the 2015 salary cap.

Ram65

Legend
Unless he absolutely sucks there was little chance the Rams would want to replace Foles for 2016 - Mannion would likely need more seasoning in the best case scenario. This way the Rams get Foles for 2016 - and then either give him an extension if he's a star, or get to choose whether to cut him and eat a little salary cap space, and give Mannion the job. It'll be interesting to see what conditions have to be met for the last year to be voided.

Good point.

I was wondering if Mannion could be ready next year. He and Foles share similarities. I guess the Rams feel better giving him more time as well as having the security having Foles for 2 or 3 more years. Rams can manage Foles higher cap hits over the short extension. Going to be very interesting indeed!

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I know it is an extension, doesn't mean though that he did not get a signing bonus thatis included in the 26M over the next 3 years.

fearsomefour

Legend
I was all for it....until the $12+ M per year.
But, in a market where McCown can get $5M+ per year it is to be expected.
I hope Foles exceeds my middling expectations.
(I will also not mention that signing him before the season starts almost assures he gets injured in preseason).

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Great News...No limbo towards the end of the year.