Rams sign QB Nick Foles to 2-year extension

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
Fair enough.
Eagles with Foles: 14-4
Without Foles: 5-8
Sometimes a QB makes a difference.
I agree. Just giving a QB a win loss record gets on my nerves. They aren't playing defense or special teams and even on offense they need 10 other guys doing their job.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The Rams are gambling a little here, and it's a risk that makes sense.

[Reward] This creates stability in the budget to begin planning for the 2016 roster free agents.

[Reward] So long as he performs well (and that doesn't mean he needs to play at a pro bowl level); the QB position is amazingly affordable for the next 2-3 seasons and there isn't a looming bidding war.

[Risk] If he doesn't perform well, or gets injured, at least the cap damage is minimal should the Rams decide to move away. So that's the risk in this deal. You don't get the reward without taking the risk.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2015/8/8/9120447/rams-nick-foles-extension-scrimmage-presser-aug-7

Rams’ QB Nick Foles Thinks Just About Everything is “Great"
By Brandon Bate@NoPlanB_

usa-today-8728174.0.jpg

The St. Louis Rams wrapped up practice on Friday evening, and quarterback Nick Foles - who the team just locked up for two more years - stuck around to answer a few questions from the media.

To clarify, Foles answered 12 questions...and he used the word "great" 17 times in his responses. Here’s the full transcript...see if you can spot all 17.

Nick Foles – Post-Scrimmage- August 7, 2015

(On his reaction to signing a new contract)

"Oh, I’m blessed. I’m just really thankful to (Owner) Mr. (Stan) Kroenke, (Head) Coach (Jeff) Fisher, (GM) Les (Snead) and (Executive VP of Football Opps and COO) Kevin (Demoff) for working through it. I’m thankful to be here, be with these guys, be with the Rams. Ever since I’ve been here, like I’ve said the team has opened their arms to me. The players here have been extremely welcoming, extremely helpful with just getting me going along. We still have a ways to go, but it really is an honor to be here and you know, to be wanted here."

(On why he didn’t want to wait on signing his contract)
"I mean, it’s something the team had talked to my people about and you know, we have agents. I want to be here. I think when you feel it out in the middle of the season stuff, I want to focus all on my teammates. I want to be all in. I don’t want to have to worry about contract issues or anything. To me that can be selfish. You know, I’m very fortunate to be here. I’m fortunate to the organization that we…I’m fortunate to have a contract. To me, I’m very thankful."

(On his thoughts about the signing process progressing so quickly)
"Yeah, I mean like I said, I’m just very, very thankful. I’m thrilled to be here. It’s a dream come true and I’m really just excited to be part of this team and be with these guys, be in this city. It was great coming out tonight with all the fans here, getting our practice in. We have a lot good work. We’re competing. Every day we compete against the defense. They’re giving us great looks. We’re giving them good looks, so that’s what I enjoy and I’m just thankful for the opportunity."

(On if he was surprised about being approached so quickly to sign a contract, having not played a game yet)
"It’s just one of those things where it just happens. It’s not like a surprise thing. You know, the trade happened; that was a surprising thing and you get into those kind of thoughts. I want to be here. Got to meet with the guys, got along with the guys and now it’s like a family, so it’s a place I want to be. They wanted me here as well, so it worked out for both parties."

(On if he has a peace of mind going into the season now that his contract has been taken care of)
"I think just entering the season with it all taken care of is great, but either way I would have been me. It’s one of those things, it’s not going to affect me when I play this game. I play it for my teammates. I play for it the people that support us and my family, so that would never change the way I play the game."

(On his comfort level with Head Coach Jeff Fisher)
"Coach Fisher I mean I, around the league guys that had played for him, coaches that have coached under him they just say he’s the best. He’s just one of those guys that I’ve just never heard a negative thing about. When I met him and since I’ve been here I can see why that is. He’s a guy you want to fight for; he’s a guy you want to play for. All these guys here love him. And that’s why we have such a great culture that we’re building here. I’m excited to be a part of it."

(On Coach Fisher saying it’s his team and it’s time to go)
"Yeah, I mean when you’re the quarterback you’re one of the guys that everyone is going to look to automatically, so there’s definitely a leadership role that takes place. But there are many leaders on this team that do a great job and that’s how you build a culture of a winning franchise. I can’t do it alone. There’s a lot of guys on this team that do a great job of working hard and keeping guys going. It’s a team game. I’m just a small piece of the puzzle."

(On if his teammates know about his contract deal)
"I don’t know. I honestly, I don’t know. I haven’t talked about it, I’ve been working. My job is to come out here today and play football. And get the looks and get the defense and just keep learning this offense and keep executing. So I don’t know. They might now I’m not sure."

(On how he thinks things went in the scrimmage tonight)
"I think we got a lot of great work in tonight, a lot of great positive work. Was everything one hundred percent clean? No. But is it ever in a football game? And it’s usually never in a practice. But I think everybody is giving everything they have, and everything is correctable. So I think tonight was a great work day, and it was fun because the fans were here. We’ll go back to the film like we always do. We’ll detail it up and we’ll go back and we’ll get after it again."

(On how many years the deal was for)
"I’m not going to get into any particulars on the deal. I’m sure you all have ways of finding that out. But like I said, I’m honored and very fortunate to playing in the NFL and very fortunate to be playing for the St. Louis Rams, and I’m very thankful for that."

(On his rapport with TE Jared Cook)
"I think (TE) Jared (Cook) is one of those guys that you know, he’s just making me look good out there with the catches that he’s making. He’s a great football player. He has a great feel when he’s running routes. He has a big catch radius and he’s a guy that were’ going to have to get the ball to. But we’re going to have to spread it around. We have a lot of play makers on offense. And the guys are doing a really great job. We’re still getting comfortable we’re still bonding, so that’s what camp’s all about, is everyday bonding, talking, communicating, audiblizing everything. I’m happy where we’re at. I’m happy where Cook’s at."

(On the pressure that he’s receiving from the defense)
"It’s awesome. It’s great for a quarterback. It’s great for our offense, to go against pressure like that. As a quarterback, it’s just your eyes have to really see what’s going on. You have to recognize it. It’s a lot of different looks. It’s great for me. It’s great for our young O-line and great for our receivers for their route running. We’re helping them out, they’re helping us out and that’s what you want. We’re sharpening each other up."

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I am very good with this deal. It solves/relieves several questions for us. Nick will be given TWO yrs to show he is either worth a larger contract or not. We didn't shell out MAJOR $$$ and cap space o get it done. Gives time to develop Mannion for a couple seasons. This was a good deal for both sides and a fair one, IMO.

Now had it been a 4 yr deal and at the $15-16 mil. range with a high SB ... I would have cringed a little. This deal to me is more along the lines of when they brought KB in. A decent # to give the player a chance to prove he deserves more.

RamBill

Legend
Rams QB Nick Foles signs two year extension: 3 things to know
By John Breech | CBSSports.com
August 7, 2015 9:47 pm ET

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...les-signs-two-year-extension-3-things-to-know

Nick Foles might not know what city he's going to be playing in when 2016 hits, but at least he knows what team he's going to be playing for.

The 26-year-old quarterback signed a two-year extension with the Rams on Friday that will keep Foles with the team through the 2017 season, whether the team is in St. Louis or Los Angeles.

Foles has been with the Rams since March when the team acquired him in a trade with the Eagles that sent Sam Bradford to Philadelphia.

Rams coach Jeff Fisher said on Thursday that he was "pleased" with the way Foles has played so far during training camp.

"He can make every throw," Fisher told NFL Network. "Talking to his teammates, they really like the way he runs the huddle and manages the offense. So I'm very pleased with where he's going right now."

Tight end Jared Cook has been raving about Foles since June.

"He's everything that you want in a quarterback -- everything that you've always wanted," Cook said during OTAs. "It just feels like he belongs here, and it feels like he's been here for a while, which is a good piece. It's what we need."

Here's what you need to know about Foles' deal.

1. Average per year. Foles will be getting a big raise from the $1.522 million he was scheduled to make under the final year of his rookie deal in 2015.

According to ESPN.com, Foles' two-year extension is worth $24.5 million in new money, meaning he is now scheduled to make a total of $26 million over the next three years. The $8.67 million average salary makes Foles the NFL's 21st highest paid quarterback.

2. Guaranteed money. The important part for Foles is the guaranteed money and that number comes in at "just under $14 million," according to FoxSports.com. If that's the true guarantee, then Foles will get almost as much in guaranteed money as Peyton Manning this year.

Manning's playing under a two-year, $34 million deal that will guarantee him $15 million. It's not exactly a fair comparison for Manning, but you have to think Foles will go home happy knowing he's pulling in as much guaranteed money as Manning.

3. The deal is good for both sides. Although Foles went to the Pro Bowl in 2013, it's still not clear what he's capable of. Foles put up monster numbers in 2013 (27 touchdown passes, two interceptions), but then he fell back to earth during an injury-riddled 2014, where he threw 10 interceptions and only 13 touchdowns.

So why's this a good deal for both sides?

On Foles' end, if he puts up the numbers that he did in 2013, then he can get out of the contract after the 2016 season. According to NFL.com, the final year of the deal is voidable if Foles makes the Pro Bowl. So if Foles puts up big numbers, he'll be able to negotiate a new, bigger contract after the 2016 season.

On the Rams' end, they're only paying $14 million in guaranteed money to find out if Foles is their quarterback of the future. If Foles crashes and burns in 2015 or 2016, then the team can move on and look for a new quarterback.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
The real unsung hero for this move is Kevin Demoff, I'm glad Kroenke didn't give him the pink slip after we cleaned house. Demoff knows how to evaluate a player's worth, keeping them into quality contracts in close-to-ideal situations.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The real unsung hero for this move is Kevin Demoff, I'm glad Kroenke didn't give him the pink slip after we cleaned house. Demoff knows how to evaluate a player's worth, keeping them into quality contracts in close-to-ideal situations.

He's done a masterful job working the cap, paying as we go. Paying JL55 and Quinn their bonuses when due as opposed to working those dollars into the future, as examples.

This is going to be an interesting offseason for KD. Lots of wiggling to do.

Something is going to happen with Chris Long, and a lot depends on if he stays healthy. Little doubt we try to extend him to lower his cap hit in '16. But... Again, it depends on his health how that contract looks.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Looks like a fair deal on both sides... those are the kind I like.

Would have liked an escape clause in year 3 for the team, though.