Rams sign QB Brett Rypien to one year deal

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
The Rams signed Brett Rypien to a one year deal.

He's got an average arm, and came in needing a whole lot of work just to be a backup. Looks like a camp arm but who knows. After 2 years maybe he's developed. I don't see him as a threat to Bennett at this time. If they like him maybe he hangs around on the PS.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's the backup QB, Bennett gets a redshirt year.
I like this move

Suggested Mod Edit thread title naming Brett Rypien

Last edited:

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
His Cousin played in the lingerie football league. She had quite an arm among other things Ahem.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
His Cousin played in the lingerie football league. She had quite an arm among other things Ahem.
1683208739096.jpeg

1683208762974.jpeg

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Just about every team takes four QBs to Camp.

To control the amount of throwing, and have enough guys to throw to the many WRs, TEs and RBs.

With two rookies behind Stafford (Bennett and Winn), figures the 4th QB would have some experience.

The Rams opened the 2022 season with three QBs on the 53-man roster. They could carry three in 2023.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I am not a huge Brett Rypien fan, small hands, average arm at best and if you remember Cobie Durant likes him because of the 78 yard interception return against Rypien on Christmas Day. Rypien also does not have the ability to run, but he is accurate and is 2-1 as a starter albeit he has thrown 4 touchdowns & 8 interceptions in his career.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I am not a huge Brett Rypien fan, small hands, average arm at best and if you remember Cobie Durant likes him because of the 78 yard interception return against Rypien on Christmas Day. Rypien also does not have the ability to run, but he is accurate and is 2-1 as a starter albeit he has thrown 4 touchdowns & 8 interceptions in his career.
Out of curiosity, I pulled-up Wolford and Perkins regular season stats (2-3 W/L; and 2/7 TD/Interception ratio).

Wolford was given credit for a 2022 win but I did not recall him at QB in any of the Rams' five victories. He actually gets credit for the Raiders win because he stated the game ... only was in for three snaps before Mayfield replaced him but the starter gets the Win or Loss.

Seems kind of dopey but then I remembered that Wolford also got (technically) credit for the Rams' 2020 playoff-win in Seattle despite playing just one series.

madrid311

RomandeacondickersonolsenwarnerStafforddonaldkupp
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Madrid311
Wolford...ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Tano

Legend
Must have liked how he ran after Durant on that TD

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Wolford...ha ha ha ha ha ha.
I just can't believe McVay ever thought he was a number 2 QB in the NFL. So many others out there that were better. And then Perkins? I never saw anything in any game, regular or preseason, that even gave me a little hope for success with them in the line up. I just don't know what they saw in those 2 guys. It sure blew up in their faces. Quite frankly, it makes me very cautious regarding any QB they chose to be back up at this point. I am hopeful though. I find it hard to believe we could have taken a step back.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Not a bad camp arm or 3rd stringer. Isn't the NFL now allowing a 3rd QB for game day that doesn't count towards the maximum number? Or was that rule shot down?

madrid311

RomandeacondickersonolsenwarnerStafforddonaldkupp
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Madrid311
I just can't believe McVay ever thought he was a number 2 QB in the NFL. So many others out there that were better. And then Perkins? I never saw anything in any game, regular or preseason, that even gave me a little hope for success with them in the line up. I just don't know what they saw in those 2 guys. It sure blew up in their faces. Quite frankly, it makes me very cautious regarding any QB they chose to be back up at this point. I am hopeful though. I find it hard to believe we could have taken a step back.
I too wonder if our backups will ever be good enough to take over under McVay's watch. Those two knuckleheads were not NFL qbs. we all got to see that ourselves with the eye test, were they not looking, or what were they looking at. ha ha. After Stafford I wonder what they figure is gonna happen to get another good one. Caleb Williams is not the answer. go rams!

oldnotdead

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Perkins squandered his opportunity. He simply went through the motions and didn't put in the work. That is why he's gone. So much of this game is what is between their ears. Kendrick is a marginal talent physically, but he came in with an over-inflated ego. His effort was inconsistent and he was often lost in his assignments. IMO if he comes in again this year without having put in the work, I don't see him beating out the UDFA CBs for a depth position. When the Rams drafted Hodges-Tomlinson that was aimed right at Kendrick. Then they sign UDFA CBs like Jordan Jones and Cameron McCutcheon both of whom have the speed and athleticism lacking in Kendrick he's got to know he's got to take the opportunity seriously.

McCutcheon is a tall CB with good speed and agility. A lot of tall CBs struggle with their change of direction, but he is fluid and smooth. His height gives him a play radius lacking in the smaller CBs on the roster. He's a natural redzone matchup for TEs and tall WRs and I'd be surprised if he doesn't make the roster.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Perkins squandered his opportunity. He simply went through the motions and didn't put in the work. That is why he's gone.

I'm sorry but you have No Way of Knowing that.

Might be accurate but it's pure speculation without some reporting that I am unfamiliar with.

oldnotdead

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You can tell. His mechanics have the same flaws as he had in his rookie year. Didn't you note that when he got on the field he was simply handing off? They didn't even call any passes. That tells you a lot about what the coaches think of his attitude. If he was busting his butt like he should have been they would have allowed him to showcase his improvements. That's why when offered the opportunity to resign he didn't. He wasn't an unrestricted free agent. McVay said publicly they were willing to have him return but it was his choice.

He couldn't beat out Wolford despite having more talent tells you alot. Rypien doesn't have the arm talent or the athleticism of Perkins, but here he is still trying. That's why I'm saying welcome to LA, Brett.