Rams sign Kicker Zach Hocker

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Some people can't get around their hate colored glasses.
It's extra silly because GZ isn't even that bad, he's getting boned by taking more 50+ fgs than any other kicker in the league because of the hype on his leg and because our offense is so bad it has to be bailed out constantly.

He doesn't miss any more from other ranges than anybody else, but taking 8 attempts at 50+ when most of your games are outdoors is rough. There's a reason most kickers only attempt 2 or 3 a season and guys who do so more aren't any more consistent than GZ. Nobody is counted on to try to bail his team out of it's ineptitude as much as GZ.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
It's extra silly because GZ isn't even that bad, he's getting boned by taking more 50+ fgs than any other kicker in the league because of the hype on his leg and because our offense is so bad it has to be bailed out constantly.

He doesn't miss any more from other ranges than anybody else, but taking 8 attempts at 50+ when most of your games are outdoors is rough. There's a reason most kickers only attempt 2 or 3 a season and guys who do so more aren't any more consistent than GZ. Nobody is counted on to try to bail his team out of it's ineptitude as much as GZ.
You nailed it, and I don't understand how some Rams fans who have seen all of the games can just bring up the field goal percentage like that's all there is to it. Then again, maybe they haven't seen all of the games. I haven't looked it up, but I believe GZ's best season came in his second year when his field goal percentage was 93%. Wanna know the difference? That's right, he only attempted two 50+ yard field goals that year.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Yes, GZ has attempted the most 50+ yard field goals. How convenient that nobody mentions that he still has the lowest average on kicks over 50+. He's 3/8 while many kickers are 4/5 or 3/4 or better. Yeah he kicks more, but he's still missing at a higher rate.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Yes, GZ has attempted the most 50+ yard field goals. How convenient that nobody mentions that he still has the lowest average on kicks over 50+. He's 3/8 while many kickers are 4/5 or 3/4 or better. Yeah he kicks more, but he's still missing at a higher rate.
So what you're saying he's hitting as many as most people who benefit from not trying to kick more?

People who have kicked just as many as him. Justin Tucker 2/7 Cairo Santo 3-6. Good teams don't force their guy to try to kick from that much out and expect consistency it just doesn't happen.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
So what you're saying he's hitting as many as most people who benefit from not trying to kick more?

People who have kicked just as many as him. Justin Tucker 2/7 Cairo Santo 3-6. Good teams don't force their guy to try to kick from that much out and expect consistency it just doesn't happen.

Denver 5/6, Chicago 4/5, Green Bay 4/5, New England 4/5, Seattle 4/4, Tampa Bay 4/6, Buffalo, Indi and Oakland 3/4, Dallas, Detroit and NYG 3/3 Consistency doesn't happen? Really? Cuz all of these teams managed to get consistency out of their kickers from beyond 50. GZ has not played well, period. Has missed one from 30-39 and two from 40-49. And then the 5 from 50+. Blaming the length of field goals is such a bullshit cop out for crappy play. Other teams are getting consistency from far out, with kickers with much less leg strength than GZ.

Edit: Lawyered

tempests

Hall of Fame
You nailed it, and I don't understand how some Rams fans who have seen all of the games can just bring up the field goal percentage like that's all there is to it. Then again, maybe they haven't seen all of the games. I haven't looked it up, but I believe GZ's best season came in his second year when his field goal percentage was 93%. Wanna know the difference? That's right, he only attempted two 50+ yard field goals that year.

I believe the difference was Zuerlein hit on 93%(96% in his best year) of kicks under 50 yards his first two seasons but is only 82% his last two seasons. Those kicks comprise the bulk of his attempts and influence a percentage drop from 83% (2012-13) to 74% (2014-15).

His performance on 50+ kicks remains consistently inconsistent. 8-15 his first two years and 8-14 the last two.

I would add GZ has historically struggled kicking on grass; he's just 23 for 35 in his career.

Last edited:

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Denver 5/6, Chicago 4/5, Green Bay 4/5, New England 4/5, Seattle 4/4, Tampa Bay 4/6, Buffalo, Indi and Oakland 3/4, Dallas, Detroit and NYG 3/3 Consistency doesn't happen? Really? Cuz all of these teams managed to get consistency out of their kickers from beyond 50. GZ has not played well, period. Has missed one from 30-39 and two from 40-49. And then the 5 from 50+. Blaming the length of field goals is such a bullcrap cop out for crappy play. Other teams are getting consistency from far out, with kickers with much less leg strength than GZ.

Edit: Lawyered
So blocked kicks are always the fault of the kicker? Which is the case with both "misses" from 40-49 yards & the XP.

and how many of the 50+ have been beyond 55 yards. Meaning kicks that the other teams you are referencing don't even attempt.

Blaming Zuerlein for the woes of this team is absurd. He's the least of their offensive issues.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Blaming Zuerlein for the woes of this team is absurd. He's the least of their offensive issues.

It starts and ends with the offensive line coach and the Rams went young and now with injuries are paying the price. Quarterback issues have not helped either. Zuerlein has a great leg just needs to be more consistent, but I concur the offensive issues starts and ends with the Head Coach.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Im not one to be negative but I'm not blind either. GZ has not been consistent which is the primary characteristic you want in your kicker. Plus, what you gain in his field goal kicking power, you lose in his kickoff power. I think targeting Roberto Aguayo in this year's draft is completely justified. He is the model of consistency.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Looked pretty good for the opportunities he got

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like GZ, but I have to admit, I don't have a lot of confidence when he lines up for a kick with the game on the line.