Rams sign DT Tyrunn Walker

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Brockers as a defensive end in a 3-4?
No chance.

It is pretty obvious what the plan is to me.

Brockers is the NT with Walker as the backup/rotational NT.

Donald at left defensive end.

Heasley at right defensive end.

Barwin at left outside linebacker.

Quinn at right outside linebacker.
(they rotate between Barwin and Quinn as the up Rush linebacker)

Ogletree and Barron as the inside linebackers.

JMO

Donald is the RDE. Yes, Brockers can play LDE in Wade's scheme. I'm not sure what the plan is at LDE and NT. I'd be concerned about starting Easley.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I don't think Brockers gets the credit he deserves. He will be good at NT in Wade's system. We shall see.....

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Brockers as a defensive end in a 3-4?
No chance.

It is pretty obvious what the plan is to me.

Brockers is the NT with Walker as the backup/rotational NT.

Donald at left defensive end.

Heasley at right defensive end.

Barwin at left outside linebacker.

Quinn at right outside linebacker.
(they rotate between Barwin and Quinn as the up Rush linebacker)

Ogletree and Barron as the inside linebackers.

JMO

Would appear most of our forum members do agree with your opinion here. & yes MB has been the starting interior DT over the nose since midway of the 2014 season. Right now MB is our best 34 NT starting candidate.

Here's some of the reasons I have moved from your opinion position if your interested:

*MB was a big time athletic freak & was a 6'5 255 outside LB'er/ DE when recruited out of high school. LSU had intentions to use him as a thick linebacker prospect.

*As MB grew out his 6-6 frame he put on the pounds & grown into a elite athlete with positional versatility.

*Just before the 2012 draft NFL teams many who were running 34's were very interested in MB @ DE. MB is athletic enough to work from the edge in a scheme that requires bigger ends to maintain their blockers and keep the linebackers free. Do you not think that Wade knows that this is key to keep Barron & Tree unmoslested?

* The 43 teams thinking was MB had most value as a 3-tech DT the post that Aaron Donald & Dom Easley are best suited for in a 43.

*How many 34 NT's with over 35 inch arms along with possessing an uncanny ability to diagnose screens and draws start in the NFL today? The only one close to MB would be Allan Branch who is 6-6 350 pounds & has shorter arms than MB. But Branch is playing in a 43 Defense in a 3 way rotation with the 2 starting DT's for the Pats.

* MB has a cap hit of over 11 million this season Branch's cap hit is 3 mil. How many 34 NT's are being paid that much?

*Ref. Dom Easley as your DL starter opposite side of Aaron Donald. How many games has Easley started in the NFL since he was drafted in 2014 ? How many games did he start last season? I'll give you a hint...Less than Ethan Westbrook did.Easley had a very good first season as a Ram & his best season as a pro but what was his role? Easley role was to be a relief clone to Aaron Donald & that worked for Donald & Easley. I see no reason to change that up now when that worked so well?

In conclusion MB has had to take on the double team NT responsibility since 2014. He has sacrificed this so Donald could shine after 3 seasons I would bet that he is chomping at the bit to earn a chance to showcase his vastly improved pass rushing abilities in a new position made to order for him. I just do not see Easley being a better choice over MB!.

Last edited:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I agree MB has pass rushing ability that has not been utilized by the Rams. He's done everything asked of him. Eating up two blockers at a time and clogging the middle. When given a chance he can rush the passer with success. Anyone remember that game vs the Bears a couple years ago when Brockers got in the backfield and creamed the Bears QB cleanly and got flagged? Brockers knocked the snot out of him. (was it Cutler?):deadhorse:

Brockers is not going to have any trouble playing NT OR DE in Wade's 3-4.

Rams are lucky to have him on their D line.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think everyone must reflect about the Rams recent past before Brockers. We were the gang that couldn't shoot straight, when trying fill the DT position. We used to mourn that with all of the draft picks used under Linehan and Spags to solidify it, it was an act of futility it seemed. Then Jeff Fisher/Les Snead picked the guy, and it was a homerun...gulp...Thanks Fish! (you have no idea how hard that was to say..lol)

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Its hard to say one way or another at this point in the offseason where Brockers will play. He has the length of DE, but the mass of a NT at almost 330 pounds. You don't see many 3-4 DEs at 330 pounds and you don't see many 3-4 NTs with 35 inch length.

Brockers makes 11 million a year, but IMO that doesn't factor in him playing NT or DE. At 11 million per year he would be the 3rd highest paid 3-4 DE and the second highest paid NT. The Top 3-4 NTs to hit FA the past 2 years Damon Harrison, Brandon Williams, and Dontari Poe are all in Brockers salary range even though Brockers is paid the most he still makes less than Marcel Dareus at 16 mil per. He trails JJ Watt and Mohamed Wilkerson as 3-4 DE salary, but both of those guys offer alot more as pass rushers and can play more on the edge.

Easley didn't start any games, but only Donald played more snaps in the defensive interior for the Rams. Granted Brockers was banged up. I think he is being underestimated a little bit.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Easley role was to be a relief close Aaron Donald & that worked very well for both Donald & Easley. I see no reason to change that up now when that worked so well?

Easley did play in relief for Donald at times, but they were also on the field together alot especially in nickel packages. With Quinn going down Easley was the second best pressure generator on the team.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
In Wade I trust.

Brockers, Easley, Donald, Walker......Wade will use them how they are best used.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Easley did play in relief for Donald at times, but they were also on the field together alot especially in nickel packages. With Quinn going down Easley was the second best pressure generator on the team.

Dom Easley has also logged in time @ over the nose with the Pats & the Gators. Easley does it very well in passing situations too! Easley is just as versatile as Brockers is just nowhere as proven & battle tested.

I would not sell Easley short at any time. His biggest HOLE IMO in his game, besides his past knee injuries is where Easley has the regularity to loose track of the ball carrier real easy.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Brockers IMO would burst onto the NFL highlight reels & be a new pro bowl candidate if he was to play to start @ the left side 34 DE post.When a team releases, trades & moves their top 3 starting DE's of the last two season in the off season there has to be a big change in the makings here.
I hadn't thought of that, but I like how you think!