Rams sign DT Tyrunn Walker

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I love this signing. We need DL depth. Tyrunn is a great fit for Wade's scheme. He can play both NT and LDE. Kid has a lot of potential, but he needs to stay healthy.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Don't know much about him TBH but I love the fact that roster holes are being filled with proven guys - having switched from 3-4 to 4-3 obviously shows his capabilities - and he could be a great rotational guy for us.

Every FA signing fills a hole on our roster and free's up the draft for us to draft cleverly and improve positions not just out of need to fill a hole.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
How many 310 plus DL'ers do the Rams have on their roster after Brockers? Sure appears like a clone of the many different NT's Wade Phillips has utilized over the last decade.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2015/03/scouting_report_and_random_fac.html

"Playing in New Orleans' 3-4 defensive scheme, he played every alignment from nose tackle to 5-technique (to the outside shoulder of the tackle), getting a surprising amount of work playing directly over center. "

http://www.nfl.com/player/tyrunnwalker/2535892/profile

http://sidelionreport.com/2015/03/12/detroit-lions-sign-free-agent-dt-tyrunn-walker/

Just a side note on the question of status of DT Ethan Westbrooks....The Rams placed an original round restricted free agent tender on Westbrooks worth $1.797 million the first of March of 2017.
http://www.scout.com/nfl/rams/story/1763006-rams-ethan-westbrooks-won-t-face-charges

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
He went from one of the worst defenses in the league....to one of the best defensive lines in the league. Got benched (injured?). and came to us. What the hell is there to be excited about...This aint Nick Fairley.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He went from one of the worst defenses in the league....to one of the best defensive lines in the league. Got benched (injured?). and came to us. What the hell is there to be excited about...This aint Nick Fairley.

somebody get him a barrel of koolaid.
haha I think having something is better than nothing! We needed bodies at NT and we got it.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
somebody get him a barrel of koolaid.
haha I think having something is better than nothing! We needed bodies at NT and we got it.

Plus didn't he play for Johnson ?? The Rams D"Line coach is going to have this guys getting after the QB

Maybe he is insurance when The Eams can't resign Aaron Donald. Donald will be franchised.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Plus didn't he play for Johnson ?? The Rams D"Line coach is going to have this guys getting after the QB

Maybe he is insurance when The Eams can't resign Aaron Donald. Donald will be franchised.

Lolol... the Rams are keeping AD99 for a long LONG time, have no worries. They are working on his massive deal as we speak. I'm sure they are trying hard to move TJ's contract before they finalize the numbers for AD99.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know that anybody is excited but he's shown flashes and provides depth at a spot we needed it. Now if we draft a NT it's because he's bpa and not reaching for a need.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
usa-today-8858387.0.jpg
cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptdiy2myzwuxnji4ndi2nwy1ntq2mzjjyja2odewztyw.jpeg
Tyrunn+Walker+Arizona+Cardinals+v+New+Orleans+rSMrttoP-97l.jpg
colin-kaepernick-of-the-san-francisco-49ers-loses-the-ball-after-hit-picture-id458835788
tyrunn-walker-nfl-arizona-cardinals-new-orleans-saints-590x900.jpg
B99251762Z.1_20150312213334_000_G1DFAHM8.1-0.jpg

I'm kinda likin' this guy
I like the visual evidence of what is possible with him!!(y);):D Good depth piece!

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I like the signing A depth guy who can play multiple positions on the d-line.
Bring him into camp and get a good look.

I'm thinking Westbrooks will be that rotational fourth DL rush guy that spells Quinn.

An outside linebacker that plays up closer to the line of scrimmage.

Westbrooks is just another guy to get a good look at in Camp.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
So, if Brockers gets injured, then teams just hand off the ball every down?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

No, ... signing Walker doesn't negate our need for a strong rush defender backing up Brockers in the middle, but it does allow us to perhaps seek someone lower in the draft or even a CAP casualty following the draft. Probably doesn't even need to be on the 53 so long as we find a competitive guy for the Practice Squad. I'm more curious how Westbrooks fits the scheme and watching Trinca-Pasat/Tyrunn Walker compete for snaps during the pre-season. jmo.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Not so sure that the 6-3 thicker Ethan Westbrooks is 34 defensive right OSLB'er myself. EW won a roster spot in the NFL as an interior DL'er not at DE. First two seasons as a Ram he played inside DT in the rotations. Last two seasons EW played most of his back up role as Wm Hayes @ LEFT DE.

I would agree that EW heart is rushing the passer & he does have natural ability to harass quarterbacks. But I was thinking that EW would be an excellent LDE in Wades 34 defense. Could be one of the reasons that Wm Hayes was traded away. When you match EW with Quinns measures you see why many here think that Quinn has the talent to play in Wade's D.

Hey Champ did Walker have two injury plagued seasons with the Lions?

Dislocated ankle, broken leg in 2015 & I was under the impression that he never got healthy or recovered enough after that bad injury in 2015 to have any impact in 2016. Tyrunn Walker has missed 13 games while being in Detroit. Guess our DL coach is bringing him in to see if he is healthy & can return to what he was for him in New Orleans.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I suspect that the starting NT position will be more fluid than solid. I also think the primary NT for this 2017 Wade defense is not here yet.

Better than Cam Thomas at least.
Cam Thomas is the very opposite type NT that Wade Phillips desires. Thomas will not return.
Your have some merit in this statement but if the RB can NOT get a clean hand off from the QB due to penetration buy our 270 & 280 pound quick DL'ers that would resolve the size issue. I am thinking we will see several draft prospects who will look very close to Tyrunn Walker size to play NT for Wade.
Bill Johnson our D-Line coach was his D line coach in New Orleans. He was a big 4-3 DE in College. Probably depth at the 3-4 DE spot where we currently have no one behind Easley and Donald if we didn't tender Westbrooks.
Are we really so sure that Brockers is cemented in again @ NT? Have we though somewhat out of the box here where Brockers who is now our highest paid DL'er & just signed a 3 year, $34 mil.contract .including a $3,000,000 signing bonus, $24,396,000 guaranteed, & an average annual salary of over $11 mil. is going to be just a space eater? I don't think so. In this Wade D he is sure to finally be turned loose to join all pro Aaron Donald as our starting 34 DE's when the season starts. When you then mix in the talents that a Dom Easley behind Donald & Ethan Westbrooks behind Brockers? Its the perfect scenario for dominance.

Brockers IMO would burst onto the NFL highlight reels & be a new pro bowl candidate if he was to play to start @ the left side 34 DE post.When a team releases, trades & moves their top 3 starting DE's of the last two season in the off season there has to be a big change in the makings here.

Last edited:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Brockers as a defensive end in a 3-4?
No chance.

It is pretty obvious what the plan is to me.

Brockers is the NT with Walker as the backup/rotational NT.

Donald at left defensive end.

Heasley at right defensive end.

Barwin at left outside linebacker.

Quinn at right outside linebacker.
(they rotate between Barwin and Quinn as the up Rush linebacker)

Ogletree and Barron as the inside linebackers.

JMO