Rams select Stetson Bennett (QB) with the 128th pick.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah I once observed my friends drinking for several in order to achieve first downs.

I have never been able to skull a beer. I like sipping and enjoying the experience.

My aunt's husband used to be able to skull a schooner in less than a second.

Tano

Legend
I have never been able to skull a beer. I like sipping and enjoying the experience.

Shawn Mendes Kiss GIF by BuzzFeed

Do you need a nipple for that beer?

Sorry couldn't help myself.

That's what my college roommates would ask me whenever I was sipping a beer.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

There is a time and place to be a barbarian.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Shawn Mendes Kiss GIF by BuzzFeed

Do you need a nipple for that beer?

Sorry couldn't help myself.

That's what my college roommates would ask me whenever I was sipping a beer.

Sucking on nipples is my favourite thing in the world.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Not sure about that, but again, we will know soon enough. Again all that matters is, if Bennett is healthy, mentally & physically. If football is the spark, that takes him down that long & winding road, then he might have to walk away, but regardless, we will know well in advance.

Whatever he decides, I will hope for the very best for him.
Having Carson Wentz right now is sort of a pipe dream.This is so good for The Rams.

If he is brought back then that is excellent for everyone.Stinson will make more money playing football than probably anything else he can for the rest of his life.
No matter what happens? I’ll still not give up on a player like this until there is a conclusion or at least solid reports that he is far from done.

The Rams will need a 3rd QB.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Having Carson Wentz right now is sort of a pipe dream.This is so good for The Rams.

If he is brought back then that is excellent for everyone.Stinson will make more money playing football than probably anything else he can for the rest of his life.
No matter what happens? I’ll still not give up on a player like this until there is a conclusion or at least solid reports that he is far from done.

The Rams will need a 3rd QB.
Not sure how this plays out, I still believe the Rams will draft their future QB in the 2024 NFL Draft and Stetson Bennett will be just looked upon as a bad selection.

oldnotdead

Legend
IMO Stetson is a backup talent at this level. Breakdowns of his preseason have been negative to many and I concur. He isn't good at his pre-snap reads beyond two. He waits for the play to breakdown to make the play. The Rams simply got it wrong because McVay himself wasn't involved in the selection of the backup position to the most crucial position on the team. He delegated the selection and the guys got it wrong and didn't bother to vet their choice. IMO more evidence of his burnout. The "old" McVay is a micro-manager. He would never have ignored this pick the way he did.

At best Bennett is a multi-year project player. That is not the guy you want starting at QB1. I saw enough in preseason to know at this point he's a backup talent at best. Whether he even has an NFL career is debatable. IMO he will have to prove himself and develop outside of the NFL for a few years to have any shot at all again. This was the break he would have wanted and he blew it big time.

Carson is a legit backup with the arm talent to make all the throws in McVay's offense. Beyond that has yet to be seen. But he has had proven success at this level. He simply wasn't as consistent as you need from your starting QB, i.e. much like Baker. Carson is good enough to win a game if called upon. I have no doubt that the Rams beat the Steelers if he were playing.

This is why IMO it's a potentially huge signing by the Rams for this stretch run. Just how much can they depend on Stafford staying healthy to finish the season? No doubt he will have surgery in the off season on his thumb to play his final season in 2024. IMO that is exactly what Carson and his agent were looking at when he signed here. Anyone looking at Matt's contract and factoring in his health issues will know that he will probably retire after the 2024 season.

Carson hopes to be in the mix as the next starter. IMO that depends upon how the draft goes. I think the Rams are targeting one maybe two at most QBs in this draft. If they aren't able to get either then they might look at Carson as a viable bandaid for a couple of years on a prove-it contract.

I hope that is not how it goes. But with all the other FA vet QBs out there why Carson? I think the answer is obvious. His age and he's the only one that really potentially fits McVay's scheme. As a backup or a short term starter, I have no problem with Wentz. But not as a QB1 long term.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bennett was drafted to be a backup. And he may or may not become one eventually
Only time will tell and frankly nobody will care because only the starting qb matters

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
"They say an old man is twice a child."

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
The Rams simply got it wrong because McVay himself wasn't involved in the selection of the backup position to the most crucial position on the team. He delegated the selection and the guys got it wrong and didn't bother to vet their choice. IMO more evidence of his burnout. The "old" McVay is a micro-manager. He would never have ignored this pick the way he did.
This sounds right to me though we don't know for sure at this point. There was something odd about how McVay spoke at the time of the pick of Bennett as a staff choice. It's also hard to think that McVay ever saw Bennett as the Rams' QB of the future. He wasn't.

Someday we'll find out what happened. I personally continue to think the Rams wanted Hendon Hooker but he vanished in a trade for the pick immediately before Rams at #69.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Why they drafted Bennett.
So far it is looking like a wasted pick. But he was higher on their board than some others. Plus, he was not drafted to be the heir apparent. He was picked to be strictly a back up. They couldn't foresee this kind of stuff happening with him. It happens. We'll have to see how things go next training camp if he's gonna get another shot at it.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
... But he was higher on their board than some others. ...
This must be correct but it gave me pause then, and it still does.

Right after the pick ... which totally shocked me ... I posted that I don't watch college football. Accordingly,
I don't have opinions on players. However, drafting well is critical to a team's success. So, once a season ends, I read and view anything and everything I can find; and do so for the two months leading up to the Draft.
Any opinions I may have come the Draft are based on the information I consumed, and Not on what I have seen because I have not see anything.

The Bennett pick shocked me because I did not read, view or hear a single pre-Draft report or analysis rating Stetson Bennett as anything more than a late round pick or priority undrafted free agent.