Rams Report: Recapping OTA's Dani & Myles

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
More positive buzz about Mike Thomas and Cooper Kupp. Robert Woods too.

I am really excited for Higbee and Everett in this offense. We're going to see waaay more from the TE position this year.

Austin, Gurley, Goff... we've got some young talent tee'd up.

Unleash it, McVay!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
More positive buzz about Mike Thomas and Cooper Kupp. Robert Woods too.

I am really excited for Higbee and Everett in this offense. We're going to see waaay more from the TE position this year.

Austin, Gurley, Goff... we've got some young talent tee'd up.

Unleash it, McVay!
I am going crazy right now, to see what we will be this year. If HALF of what we believe will happen, happens....We will win the NFC West. I think I gotta a fever....:yess:

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think this video highlights one of the issues guys who drop the ball often have (Outside of concentration issues). They have what I think of as 'Late Hands'. Go to 3:05 of the video and watch the slow motion clips. You can see that Mike Thomas' hands are just a touch late, and he ends up catching the big part of the ball (middle third), instead of the first third of the ball. Then watch Cooper Kupp and the other receivers, and you can see them catching the point of the football. It is one of those things that you can't see without slow motion, because it happens too quickly, but it really jumps out in this video.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Higbee & Mike Thomas....probably prove to be serious players. Kupp and Woods....look like our top 2 weapons. Austin better hurry up and get out there.

I don't get all the Right tackle hype...no pads, no idea who's effective.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The one thing I heard Dani say which I think is untrue..."The offense always looks good before they are in pads"...No, I always have heard through the last two coaching regimes to relax because the offense is always behind the defense at this point....I think Dani is very smart, but she is wrong here.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This summer is going to be miserable for me, because I want football..Screw every other sport because I love this game and wish we were seeing two-a-days and camp that lasted four months...Yeah, I'm greedy...lol

or maybe a 30 game regular season..:rockon:

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
More positive buzz;

Anyone "notice" how Temarrick Hemingway sneaks into some of the OTA photos?

You can't miss those "dreads" and
McVay has been............

kind of low key, as if maybe he's casually keeping Hemingway---

tumblr_inline_n6cqm542y71qbzv4w.jpg
radar_screen_anim_md_wm.gif

temp170607_OTA9_HU043--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

temp170607_OTA9_HU024--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

temp170607_OTA9_HU026--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

temp170523_Gallery_OTA_025--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

temp170605_OTA7_HU_011--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

temp170605_OTA7_HU_050--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

temp170522_073_Rams_OTA--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

secret-weapon-sidebar.png
back_and_forth_questions_md_wm_v2.gif

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
That was excellent Dani does a great job of facilitating on the broadcast Simmons is better with commentary then being the host with Farr IMHO.

That hit on many areas more on offense and Simmons talking about Brown's footwork at RT which enables him to hold off the edge rushers gave us insight as to why he's getting more reps at that position. The website has come a long way and these two are a major reason why, well done!

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That was excellent Dani does a great job of running point on the broadcast Simmons is better with commentary then being the host with Farr IMHO.

That hit on many areas more on offense and Simmons talking about Brown's footwork at RT which enables him to hold off the edge rushers gave us insight as to why he's getting more reps at that position. The website has come a long way and these two are a major reason why, well done!
I liked it too...but I also like Farr messing with Miles...Maybe it's just the troll in me...
DTsf3Di.png

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Anyone "notice" how Temarrick Hemingway sneaks into some of the OTA photos?

McVay has commented a few times about the novelist and I fully expect the Rams to keep 4 tight ends this year with Hemingway being one of the four. Very athletic which McVay likes in his TE's and IMHO this unit under Shane Waldron could be a strength with Higbee, Everett, Hemingway and Harkey being the blocker.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I liked it too...but I also like Farr messing with Miles

I do too I like anyone who messes with an Ivy Leaguer because I really enjoy doing that at work, they are too easy some of them, when you question their analyses or due diligence with a facetious tone their reaction is priceless.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Higbee & Mike Thomas....probably prove to be serious players. Kupp and Woods....look like our top 2 weapons. Austin better hurry up and get out there.

They will need too, both of these Ram drafted receivers laid big nasty rotten eggs during their rookie seasons. As you said both have good talent in college. If they don't upgrade their game.... both may be WWC material by the first of September 2017.

I have been down on Tyler Higbee big time & have little faith from what I saw in 2016 that he is a starter in this NFL. Either Fisher's OC or Tyler himself cloaked them well.

I have no issues with Thomas making TA bench material. TA has been out there for 4 NFL seasons :sleep:. From all of what I have seen TA is no starting wide out in the NFL. He is a good gadget player RB/PR/WR/SL but with UN dependable & reliable abilities to catch the ball.....best to look elsewhere to find your top 4 Ram WR's in 2017. Woods/ Kupp/ Reynolds & yes Thomas will be a great addition if he will catch the ball.

Ref. the RT competition & getting the hype....your right no pads but there is a reason for no pads in OTA's IMO .....this is where the OL coach can refine & perfect his desired basic technical mechanics that Kromer demands in his OT's. Then once his demands are digested its on to the next step to blend these tech's with the pad side element of practice.

However if Jamon Brown is supplanting & gaining in his advantage over GRob by these very early important non pad OTA practices ,its sure to make Kromer in acing his RT relationship with Jamon Brown as his man @ RT. Is Kromer the kind of OL coach that will endure for long .....with the well known & often displayed sloppy technical efforts delivered by GRob entering the 4th NFL season?:thinking:

If an OL'er who has been nothing but an interior OL'er in the NFL, is entering his 3rd season & has not started & played RT since his sophomore year in college ...is looking real good with his quick solid footwork & outstanding hand placement why would the OL coach abide with GRob as his top prospect @ RT?:shocking:

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend
I think this video highlights one of the issues guys who drop the ball often have (Outside of concentration issues). They have what I think of as 'Late Hands'. Go to 3:05 of the video and watch the slow motion clips. You can see that Mike Thomas' hands are just a touch late, and he ends up catching the big part of the ball (middle third), instead of the first third of the ball. Then watch Cooper Kupp and the other receivers, and you can see them catching the point of the football. It is one of those things that you can't see without slow motion, because it happens too quickly, but it really jumps out in this video.

The first hard thrown pass hit Thomas in the face mask. He did better on the second one. He actually caught a long pass late too. Thomas is known as having questionable hands. Slow hands and a little less eye hand coordination than say a Cooper Kupp. He is working hard according to reports and this is something he has to keep working on. It's good that he has a teaching coaching staff to help him. There was a thread on players improving on drops. Thomas has value getting deep so it's good he is working on his hands.

http://ramsondemand.com/threads/do-wrs-with-suspect-hands-ever-become-great.49840/page-3#post-907994

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If an OL'er who has been nothing but an interior OL'er in the NFL, is entering his 3rd season & has not started & played RT since his sophomore year in college ...is looking real good with his quick solid footwork & outstanding hand placement why would the OL coach abide with GRob as his top prospect @ RT?:shocking:

Brown alternated at LT/RT in college as Louisville moved him around to the strong side on certain plays so he did play there from time to time after his Sophomore season albeit not consistently. McVay also stated that he has taken to Kromer and his instruction and has been doing a good job of translating those methods onto the practice field, add in that Robinson missed time for personal reasons and now you have a competition.

Again looking forward to seeing the guys play when the pads go on, but Brown is putting the pressure on, which is good for Robinson as we shall see if he's up to the challenge as I already know how you feel about him.

Zero

Pro Bowler
Jamon is gonna be the 1 at least for a while.
Greg was raw coming out and JMO but previous staff has done Nothing for his technique.
Good to hear about Jamon's footwork.Good footwork = balance + leverage.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Yeah, Brown seems to have the inside track over GRob for RT. Anybody really surprised?

The more I learn about Kromer, the more I like. Seems like an outstanding hire at this point.

Great observation about Thomas' tendency to not catch the front third of the ball. That's perhaps a technique thing that can be overcome, and quickly. If it's a vision or reaction time physical thing thing, then it could be a problem. Fingers crossed, because a Thomas without drops could be a devastating weapon in McVay's O.

Yep, Tavon is gonna have some serious competition for snaps during camp. I wish him luck, but I think he's behind when it comes to football smarts, size, and hands vs some of these other guys. Plus, Goff is busy establishing chemistry with Tavon's competition right now. I don't have to tell anyone how much McVay values football smarts and good hands in his receivers, do I?

Bottom line? I see a quantum leap forward at every O position under McVay this year.

QB
RB
Entire OL
TE
WR

Like I said, every O position. Lack of O talent was not the reason our O finished dead last in '16.

McVay>Fisher as penthouse>outhouse, Offensively speaking.

Yeah, I said it. Lol.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Brown alternated at LT/RT in college as Louisville moved him around to the strong side on certain plays so he did play there from time to time after his Sophomore season albeit not consistently. McVay also stated that he has taken to Kromer and his instruction and has been doing a good job of translating those methods onto the practice field, add in that Robinson missed time for personal reasons and now you have a competition. Again looking forward to seeing the guys play when the pads go on, but Brown is putting the pressure on, which is good for Robinson as we shall see if he's up to the challenge as I already know how you feel about him.
Its good to have a tag team bud in here to assist me when I have failed to further expand on Jamon Brown's strong side experience in college:grouphug:.Yep as @den-the-coach stated is 100% correct ....while JB was listed as the starting LT for his last two final years, JB played a ton of strong side OT. Besides having proved he could swing both sides @ OG the last two seasons JB appears to have added a 3rd OL post that he is showing he can play. I will be hoping that this third post is the charm for him & though being very early I am fully hoping that JB can be our starting RT for the next 2 seasons.

The GRob MT event & PI excuse has been used before with him. PI's are easy excuses in work forces today. Having over 3 decades of past vocational involvement with PI's they usually not always but Usually end up indicating a weakness involving the employee in the long run when they are pulled out of the hand more than once. (Yes I am fully aware of making this statement is not so PC with our PC card carrying backpackers)......;)

The Lions just lost their starting LT Decker or up to 6 months maybe they would be interested in the Iron Man GRob for a trade?:whistle:

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The Lions just lost their starting LT Decker or up to 6 months maybe they would be interested in the Iron Man GRob for a trade?:whistle:

Actually I had posted earlier that the Rams would trade GROB for a conditional draft choice so watch him start the first two preseason games to showcase him, but that might be the best scenario all the way around. Again I trust Kromer on this, if he feels that the Rams are better without Greg Robinson then I'm on board as the Rams do have others that could play LT like Saffold (injury risk) Donnal (half a game) and everybody's favorite Pace Murphy, who is the offspring of Orlando Pace & Yo Murphy!
GettyImages-494088.0.jpg

yo-murphy-st-louis-rams-wr-image-taken-color-slide-73934910.jpg

600x360-160901_191_Rams_at_Vikings_RT.jpg

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Not sure how I would missed one of your posts @den-the-coach Sorry :oops:. I have been on a vacation family reunion up a mountain in NC south of the GSM with out any internet. I would agree with any trade that provides Snead/McVay some extra draft selections in 2018. I would have to get @flv involved to see what cap $$$ could be had with a trade of the near 7 million cap of GRob. If the Ram Org could recover some of those millions it would come in handy.

Pace Murphy saw extensive work in the last two games of 2016 @ RT after spending pre season playing LT behind GRob. Andrew Donnal would have no issues taking up the reserve position @ RT IF he has recovered from his hip surgery back in January. Yes Saffold is an excellent back up to Withworth & Kromer has 2 three pro's Cody Wichmann & Andrew Donnal along with Rookie Jake Eldrenkamp to fill in behind Saffold @ LG if need be.

Last edited: