Do WR's with Suspect Hands ever Become Great?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
but normally, or else they would not be considered great.

No. They're considered great because the number of passes they catch greatly outweigh the number of passes they drop.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Amari Cooper, Julio Jones, and even Jerry Rice. Some were calling Rice a bust part way through his rookie season.

Here's a really good, but long read.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/walkthrough/2006/too-deep-zone-jerry-rice-rookie-bust

Here's one on Rice and Julio drops
http://www.espn.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/36670/jerry-rice-julio-jones-and-dropped-passes

And here's one on TO/other top WR drops
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/02/18/terrell-owens-dropped-passes-as-great-receivers-do/

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
No. They're considered great because the number of passes they catch greatly outweigh the number of passes they drop.

Holt was great his rookie year, except there were too many weapons and he only gained 700 plus yards that season. His completion percentage was only six percent better in his sophomore season (but he caught 1635 yards that season). Sure he caught a lot of balls, but some were also consequential catches, more than the others. I think we are both right.

Last edited:

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
So which one our WR's is the next Mike Evans?

Loyal! Give me a tough question, COME ON MAN!!! ;)

EASY, his fellow Aggie, Josh Reynolds!

aka Mike Evans lite (by Aggie Fans)... There's gotta be something in that Texas water.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
We are all gifted in some way.

Some WR's are blessed with natural hand-eye coordination and therefore very good with only moderate practice catching footballs. It's natural for them.

For the rest of us, practice doing anything... helps. So, guys with lesser hand-eye coordination can improve by practice. But they'll always have to work harder at it.

For the guys that drop a ball here and there; I'm content so long as they are practicing at improving and doing their best. But, from our vantage point we'll never really know if guys like Thomas and Tavon are working the juggs machine as hard as they can. But... the coaches know.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Everybody in the pros can catch...Some much better than others....Practice helps.
Think of rookies Isaac Bruce, Torry Holt, Flipper Anderson, and Henry Ellard. These guys had great hands from the get-go. They were also great route runners, if memory serves.
Every player you named had drop issues early...Bruce, Ellard, and Holt became great. Flipper on the cusp. The first three were tireless workers on their craft. And still occasionally dropped the ball.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
"I used to catch bricks helping my Dad lay brick"
~Jerry Rice
"I know this might be a little illegal, guys, I just put a little spray, a little stickum on them, to make sure that texture is a little sticky."
~Jerry Rice