Rams receiver Tavon Austin isn’t so sure about 100 catches this year...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

KNUCKLEHEAD

I won't say it unless you don't.
http://www.dailynews.com/sports/201...-better?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Rams receiver Tavon Austin isn’t so sure about 100 catches this year, but the more touches the better

AR-160619954.jpg&maxh=400&maxw=667

By Vincent Bonsignore, Los Angeles Daily News

OXNARD >> Given the full context, the slant pass Tavon Austin took to the house on Friday shouldn’t illicit more than a casual nod of approval.

Like everyone else on the Rams organized team activity practice field, Austin was in shorts, jersey, cleats and helmet. Which tells you all you really need to know about the limited physicality during the 11-on-11 portion of practice.

This was two-hand touch, NFL style.

So digest the play as you will.

The door you just heard open is the exit opportunity the pessimists will likely take advantage of right about now.

The optimists might want to stick around a bit.

See, by the time Austin made the catch just a few yards off the line of scrimmage, a group of defenders began converging on him. All it would have taken was one of them getting a good solid hand on Austin and the play would have been over.

Never happened.

A twitch here, a juke there and Austin was beyond the first couple of Rams defenders. Then a lean, a jab step and whoosh, he exploded past the second group on his way to open grass.

In his wake, flailing arms, disbelieving looks and genuine frustration.

And a chorus of oohhs and aahhs from his offensive teammates.

In a very imperfect version of football, this was as legitimate an explosiveness play as you see.

And it was Tavon Austin, defined.

Get him the ball, by any means necessary and at any point on a football field, and let the havoc ensue.

“The one thing we know about Tavon is, he’s a special playmaker,” said Rams offensive coordinator Rob Boras.

Which is why the Rams have made it an objective to get Austin the ball more this year, a quest that began last season when Boras took over as offensive coordinator the last four games and has carried over during the offseason.

“Any way you can get an explosive guy like that the ball, we’ve got to get creative and do it,” said Boras, who is concocting ways to do exactly that along with new Rams passing game coordinator Mike Groh.

Rams head coach Jeff Fisher let that little nugget out of the bag a couple of weeks ago when he predicted Austin could double the 52 catches he had last year to 104 this season.

“This offense has been re-designed to make sure he gets touches of the football,” Fisher said. “He’s going to have a big year this year.”

Still, the 104 catches seems extraordinarily ambitious for a player who’s averaged 41 catches per season over his first three years. Especially with rookie Jared Goff likely to be the starting quarterback.

If given the chance to explain, Fisher would probably amend his prediction to Austin doubling his offensive yardage production across the board.

Not just through pass receptions.

Austin did his best the throw Fisher a lifeline on that one Friday.

“I don’t think he means 100 catches,” Austin said, smiling. “That’s hard to do. This is the NFL.”

On the other hand, Austin isn’t about to quibble with the overall intent.

“Anytime your coach says he wants to get the ball in your hands more, that’s great,” he said.

Austin averaged 6.5 offensive touches per game last year, with 52 catches and 52 rushing attempts for a total of 907 yards and nine touchdowns.

There is no question the Rams can jack that touch count up. Maybe not double it, but elevating it to 10 per game from the line of scrimmage not only gives him a better chance to produce the big yardage Fisher hopes for, but it also forces defensive coordinators to account for him so much he becomes almost as valuable as a decoy as he does with the ball in his hands.

If the Rams establish Austin as an even bigger focal point, that means less focus on running back Todd Gurley and perhaps more space for fellow wide receivers to operate in.

But mostly it means the ball in the hands of Austin more, and for an offense that scored the second-fewest points in the NFL last year and was among the worst in most other offensive categories, that is essential.

The trick is figuring out creative ways to do that. Boras made it clear he is considering all options, so expect Austin to line up in a variety of different positions and for the ball to get in hands by all means available.

“Obviously, as a receiver, everyone wants to talk about catches he gets. But we can line him up in the backfield as we’ve done in the past, we can get him the ball on the perimeter on screens and reverses,” said Boras.

Austin is one of the most talkative Rams on the field, but admittedly quiet off it. Don’t expect him to make any demands one way or another.

“However it happens, whatever they need me to do, I’ll do it,” Austin said. “But for the most part, I don’t pay too much attention to all the numbers.”

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
As log as all his " Catches" are for TD's, I don't care how many he has!!:mrburnsevil::homercrawl:

jap

Legend
Tavon is a realist. However, the doubling the touches and trying to optimize his opportunities in the open field can really open the floodgates to YAC & TD's.

KNUCKLEHEAD

I won't say it unless you don't.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If given the chance to explain, Fisher would probably amend his prediction to Austin doubling his offensive yardage production across the board.
I'd like to see him get a hundred catches, but if he simply doubles up across the board... I'd be ecstatic!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
So, if I read this correctly, Fish wants Tavon to catch 100+ balls, and Austin says he's not sure if that's possible....Okay....anybody ELSE see why I want Quick as the #1 wr?

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
You know what we are going to be saying sometime this season??? There just aren't enough balls to go around!!!!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Tavon is an "explosive play" guy, so the number of catches aren't what's important. What matters is that they get him the ball in space on time and accurate, and if they do that it's gonna be about him flipping field position and getting big yards and TDs.

Fish knows damn well he won't get Tavon 100 catches. But a getting up there around 75 would be good because it will come with more of those explosive plays. Which will in turn give him that YPC he needs to put up real receiver numbers.

I do think Fish is right that Tavon's gonna have a big year. Him and Gurley are going to be the central focal points of the offense with lots of options around them with those kids like Coop and Higbeest cracking the highlight reel from time to time.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
100 touches? absolutely

100 catches? Doubtful. It would be great to see though.

If TA catches 100 balls, he will be a very rich man next year. Like 13 mill a year rich.

RamzFanz

Damnit
So, if I read this correctly, Fish wants Tavon to catch 100+ balls, and Austin says he's not sure if that's possible....Okay....anybody ELSE see why I want Quick as the #1 wr?

No, I don't. Austin = big play, Quick = no play.

Of course, if Quick proves me wrong, I'm all for it. Goff and Austin are a match made in heaven. Fast release to YAC monster, Goff and Quick are polar opposites.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Tavon is an "explosive play" guy, so the number of catches aren't what's important. What matters is that they get him the ball in space on time and accurate, and if they do that it's gonna be about him flipping field position and getting big yards and TDs.

Fish knows damn well he won't get Tavon 100 catches. But a getting up there around 75 would be good because it will come with more of those explosive plays. Which will in turn give him that YPC he needs to put up real receiver numbers.

I do think Fish is right that Tavon's gonna have a big year. Him and Gurley are going to be the central focal points of the offense with lots of options around them with those kids like Coop and Higbeest cracking the highlight reel from time to time.

This.

Austin is due for a breakout season. Kid just keeps going like the energizer bunny and improves every season. We will be hearing Goff to Austin a lot this season followed by... he's still going, look at that, TD!

RamzFanz

Damnit
100 touches? absolutely

100 catches? Doubtful. It would be great to see though.

If TA catches 100 balls, he will be a very rich man next year. Like 13 mill a year rich.

Yeah, it doesn't matter, give him the ball with 1 second of separation, and it doesn't matter how you did it. Best all around player on the team and it isn't even close. Gurley may just prove me wrong though, and I hope so.

Last edited:

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Yeah, it doesn't matter, give him the ball with 1 second of separation, and it doesn't matter how you did it. Best all around player on the team and it isn't even close. Gurley may just prove me wrong though, and I hope so.
He sure is fun to watch, isn't he.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Yeah but he can't go deep remember ;)

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Dude, it's like you read my mind. I've never even said that outloud.

You guys up for a New Orleans Rams game?
I was thinking about that. Im down. It's the closest game to me anyway. It's on November 27th though isn't that Thanksgiving?

jap

Legend
All I am concerned with is that when Tavon or Todd has the damn rock, anyone not making a concerted effort to block has to be given 50 lashes by GRob and the Incredible Brock each. Those two (i.e., Tavon or Todd) can literally destroy defensive plans when they have room to roam. If everyone does their blocking assignments, a lot of DC's will be suffering migraine headaches this season and every season afterward while they are together as fellow Horns.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
So the Rams #1 WR is going to be Tavon? The vast majority of other teams WR's are real tall fast guys that can jump and fight for the ball and get it. To put this on Tavon is ridicules. Just one more reason I have no faith in the offense with Fisher as the HC.