Rams receiver Tavon Austin isn’t so sure about 100 catches this year...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
So, if I read this correctly, Fish wants Tavon to catch 100+ balls, and Austin says he's not sure if that's possible....Okay....anybody ELSE see why I want Quick as the #1 wr?

Why? Because Quick hasn't even caught 50 a season has he? Quick has not done anything aside from a handful of games when he showed his potential.....briefly.

So the Rams #1 WR is going to be Tavon? The vast majority of other teams WR's are real tall fast guys that can jump and fight for the ball and get it. To put this on Tavon is ridicules. Just one more reason I have no faith in the offense with Fisher as the HC.

I wouldn't say I have no faith but I do agree that trying to get the ball to 5'8" 170 lb Austin 100 times may not be the wisest strategy considering that with touches come hits.

RamzFanz

Damnit
So the Rams #1 WR is going to be Tavon? The vast majority of other teams WR's are real tall fast guys that can jump and fight for the ball and get it. To put this on Tavon is ridicules. Just one more reason I have no faith in the offense with Fisher as the HC.

#1 in catches? I have no problem with that at all. They won't be playing him deep, it'll be catches on/behind the LOS or slot I would think.

I still don't believe he'll have 100. I do think he will be #1 in touches though.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
If you wanna make a thread in the other section we can get more people. @Dieter the Brock lets car pool haha

Carpool yes! How hot is it in Kerrville?
I was supposed to lay pavers today by it's been so blazing here I'm 4 beers in and not a brick is down -- I did smoke this lamb leg (BBQ thread?)

image.jpg

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Quick has not done anything
http://www.nfl.com/player/brianquick/2532933/profile
http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/14914/brian-quick
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/Q/QuicBr00.htm
and with 32 targets in 2016, from arguably the worst QB tandem in Rams history...it's not surprising that he had his worst numbers statistically.
Decent QB, and he'll produce...just like in 2014, when he WAS headed for at least 50 catches, in what was still a very pedestrian offense. If he was starting in all of these years, with numbers anywhere close to this, of course you'd cut bait. We still haven't seen what he can do.
http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/7477/brian-quick
Coach Jeff Fisher said he's seen "significant improvement" from WR Brian Quick at OTAs.
Quick has always seemed to flash in shorts and shells on the practice field, but at 27 (next week) time is really running out for the fifth-year receiver to become something. Quick had a big first half of the 2014 season with 25-375-3 through six games, but tore up his shoulder and couldn't find the field in 2015. Quick is expected to compete for the No. 2/3 receiver job this summer. Jun 1 - 10:11 AM

RamzFanz

Damnit
http://www.nfl.com/player/brianquick/2532933/profile
http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/14914/brian-quick
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/Q/QuicBr00.htm
and with 32 targets in 2016, from arguably the worst QB tandem in Rams history...it's not surprising that he had his worst numbers statistically.
Decent QB, and he'll produce...just like in 2014, when he WAS headed for at least 50 catches, in what was still a very pedestrian offense. If he was starting in all of these years, with numbers anywhere close to this, of course you'd cut bait. We still haven't seen what he can do.
http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/7477/brian-quick

Quick probably isn't out, given the circumstances, but I'd have him in a full blown competition for his job. Potential and a half a good season only goes so far. Look at his numbers compared to Britt last season with the same QBs. Unlike Britt, who made some fantastic catches on bad throws, Quick was dropping catchable balls.

Of course, I'm pulling for the kid to prove me wrong. He's had a hard road and deserves some success.

Last edited:

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
100 catches would put him at over 6 a game, I think he can definitely do that if he stays healthy all year. Biggest problem with TA so far has been his route running, no one is afraid of him going deep and its impossible to get 100 catches on screens and slants. If he can become a deep threat he will change this offense and make himself one hell of a player. I am very happy with him running the ball though, barring injury he brings something no other team can compare and that makes this offense very dangerous, teams cannot practice Tavon Austin reverses.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'd have him in a full blown competition for his job.
As it should be....
Not sure about drops of catchable balls....Just feel he's been underutilized....and the one season he did get the targets, you see production.
Throwing to guys like Britt, Quick, Cooper, and Higbee will surely take this offense to another level...One that can't be reached by not using them....
And I really like North & Thomas....
Spruce & McRoberts have a lot to prove to me....

RamzFanz

Damnit
100 catches would put him at over 6 a game, I think he can definitely do that if he stays healthy all year. Biggest problem with TA so far has been his route running, no one is afraid of him going deep and its impossible to get 100 catches on screens and slants. If he can become a deep threat he will change this offense and make himself one hell of a player. I am very happy with him running the ball though, barring injury he brings something no other team can compare and that makes this offense very dangerous, teams cannot practice Tavon Austin reverses.

I'm going to get booed for this (again), but in the NFL TA has never been, and will never be, a consistent deep threat. He's not tall enough, he can't fight for the ball, he's not fast over distances (according to him too), and quite frankly, I don't think he can catch as well deep. He's a trick play, broken coverage, or, oops, I didn't expect TA back here, occasional deep threat.

Regardless, with an accurate ball Britt is always a deep threat. Quick may wake up too.

Last edited:

RamzFanz

Damnit
Not sure about drops of catchable balls....Just feel he's been underutilized....and the one season he did get the targets, you see production.

As it should be, like it should have been with Foles, but we can't count on it.

Yes, but why was he underutilised? Was he playing hurt or scared? Bad routes? Lack of confidence from the coaching staff? Couldn't absorb the playbook?

He definitely dropped some drive killing and catchable balls. I just don't see why they would choose not to target him last season if he was 100% as stated, especially by mid-season, if it weren't a bigger underlying issue. They targeted Britt, not well, but they did. Marquez had more receptions. Cook was so bad, they cut him and he had 3 times as many receptions.

Last edited:

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Yeah, it doesn't matter, give him the ball with 1 second of separation, and it doesn't matter how you did it. Best all around player on the team and it isn't even close. Gurley may just prove me wrong though, and I hope so.

Nah...he's just a gadget guy. Where you been?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Yes, but why was he underutilised? Was he playing hurt or scared? Bad routes? Lack of confidence from the coaching staff? Couldn't absorb the playbook?
That's the $500,000 question....I was looking at some boxscores of some drives... Here & here & here. If you have time, just look over the offense...look at the type of plays ran...why wouldn't Boras or Cig use Quick? What took so long to bench Foles? Was it the coaching or was Foles just unable to move the ball? Still not sure, but despite all the new coaches the Offense ran worse than EVER b4....I say it's the players that WERE targeted (too much Cook, Tre, Benny imo) and not enough....not enough STUDS out wide...with passes going their way...
Small part of me is into the conspiracy theory....can't move a winning franchise...and it seemed the last thing they wanted was to win...Washington was just manhandling us....The Redskins...
With a much better QB, we'll get some answers very soon on the wrs that should be on the field....

and if you really wanna see why I like Quick, go to the 2014 boxscores..the Cowboy game..the Eagles game..go to the games when he was supposedly slowing down...games 5-6....see why...Who was Davis throwing the ball too? And why?

RamzFanz

Damnit
That's the $500,000 question....I was looking at some boxscores of some drives... Here & here & here. If you have time, just look over the offense...look at the type of plays ran...why wouldn't Boras or Cig use Quick? What took so long to bench Foles? Was it the coaching or was Foles just unable to move the ball? Still not sure, but despite all the new coaches the Offense ran worse than EVER b4....I say it's the players that WERE targeted (too much Cook, Tre, Benny imo) and not enough....not enough STUDS out wide...with passes going their way...
Small part of me is into the conspiracy theory....can't move a winning franchise...and it seemed the last thing they wanted was to win...Washington was just manhandling us....The Redskins...
With a much better QB, we'll get some answers very soon on the wrs that should be on the field....

and if you really wanna see why I like Quick, go to the 2014 boxscores..the Cowboy game..the Eagles game..go to the games when he was supposedly slowing down...games 5-6....see why...Who was Davis throwing the ball too? And why?

I had the idea that Goff wasn't accurate deep based on his college stats total for accurate over 20 yards throws and this would be the last nail for Quick. Turns out Goff got better every season and was throwing a smoking hot over 20 ball last season.

...I'm feeling my mind start to change on his chances. Not all the way, but the needle's moving. Whatever it is with Quick, let's hope it's over because we know he has a high end that is a game changer.

A55VA6

Legend
All I care about is touches. Get the ball in the guys hands 10+ times a game. I don't care how you do it, just do it - he'll make some plays.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fisher is putting a lot of pressure on Tavon. I don't ever recall Fisher talking up a player like this. I guess he wants Tavon to prove what he is worth before his fifth year option comes up.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I'm going to get booed for this (again), but in the NFL TA has never been, and will never be, a consistent deep threat. He's not tall enough, he can't fight for the ball, he's not fast over distances (according to him too), and quite frankly, I don't think he can catch as well deep. He's a trick play, broken coverage, or, oops, I didn't expect TA back here, occasional deep threat.

Regardless, with an accurate ball Britt is always a deep threat. Quick may wake up too.

there is other small receivers that can run deep routes, they don't need to go over the top of anyone and make jumping catches. Cook on the saints and Desean Jackson both run great deep routes for little guys, if Tavon could pick something up form them and add a few deep routes to his arsenal it would make him a lot better. If not then I agree that he is just a gadget player, but no way he gets 100 catches if they use him how they did last year.