Rams reach out to Kliff Kingsbury as offensive assistant/consultant

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Obviously mcvay thinks any inside info on Patrick mahomes would be useful for a likely Superbowl rematch

it serves two objectives.

it gives McVay better ideas of how to exploit offenses AND he can pick Kingsbury's mind about which defenses gave him trouble as the spread becomes more prevalent in the NFL.

McVay will have a better idea both of how to exploit spread principles while continuing to help the defense innovate on ways to stop them... cuz much as I would like Wade to coach another 20+ years being at least as good as he is now, at some point hopefully in the distant future, we'll need another DC.

This is yet another sign that McVay is about as mindful a person with respect to his profession as you'll ever come across.

I practice mindfulness and it's VERY easy to recognize other mindful people and honestly, McVay is the poster child for it.

We couldn't be more blessed having McVay as our HC.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
it serves two objectives.

I like to think there's another objective in the Rams' interest in KK (being just semi-serious here).

Expand the Fight for LA! to include USC football. The more teams the Rams can knock off the front of the sports page, the better for the Rams. I mean if anything could turn a dumpster fire into a dumpster inferno, USC losing KK to the Rams after leaking the stories of a deal in principle for KK to be USC OC could do it. All the heat that Swan is under for bringing back Helton would be turned up past 12 for not being able to close the deal for KK.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I like to think there's another objective in the Rams' interest in KK (being just semi-serious here).

Expand the Fight for LA! to include USC football. The more teams the Rams can knock off the front of the sports page, the better for the Rams. I mean if anything could turn a dumpster fire into a dumpster inferno, USC losing KK to the Rams after leaking the stories of a deal in principle for KK to be USC OC could do it. All the heat that Swan is under for bringing back Helton would be turned up past 12 for not being able to close the deal for KK.

That's pretty Machiavellian and if I can say one thing with as much certainty as one can have for someone they've never met, it's that McVay is the last person to be a schemer.

His very nature of being all about football and his laser focus almost prevents devoting energies to such a pursuit.

Moreover, there are plenty of compelling football reasons to bring KK in.

Spread concepts are becoming more popular by the day. Offenses have to incorporate them and defenses have to learn how to stop them. Of the spread proponents, only Lincoln Riley and Kliff Kingsbury are both top minds and potentially available. Riley hasn't made any decisions and his team is still playing, Kingsbury was let go (MISTAAAAKE!!!).

There is too much potential synergy to not make the call. We may lose more offensive coaches and McVay's recruiting HAS to continue. As we continue to excel, our offensive coaching staff will continue to be poached as long as they have success and so far they have.

Kingsbury, if he has any ambition to be successful in the NFL has to know that college HCs who go directly to being Pro HCs have a terrible success rate. Becoming an OC and really learning the differences between college and the NFL is key to success. And it sure can't hurt to have "worked with Sean McVay" on his resume.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
That's pretty Machiavellian and if I can say one thing with as much certainty as one can have for someone they've never met, it's that McVay is the last person to be a schemer.

His very nature of being all about football and his laser focus almost prevents devoting energies to such a pursuit.

Moreover, there are plenty of compelling football reasons to bring KK in.

Spread concepts are becoming more popular by the day. Offenses have to incorporate them and defenses have to learn how to stop them. Of the spread proponents, only Lincoln Riley and Kliff Kingsbury are both top minds and potentially available. Riley hasn't made any decisions and his team is still playing, Kingsbury was let go (MISTAAAAKE!!!).

There is too much potential synergy to not make the call. We may lose more offensive coaches and McVay's recruiting HAS to continue. As we continue to excel, our offensive coaching staff will continue to be poached as long as they have success and so far they have.

Kingsbury, if he has any ambition to be successful in the NFL has to know that college HCs who go directly to being Pro HCs have a terrible success rate. Becoming an OC and really learning the differences between college and the NFL is key to success. And it sure can't hurt to have "worked with Sean McVay" on his resume.

Well, I did say "Rams' interest", not just McVay, and also "semi-serious". The advantages for KK were/are really pretty obvious. The not so obvious is the possibility that McVay didn't make the call to KK totally on his own and/or organizational support for other reasons - someone in marketing/upper management could have given encouragement or offered material assistance.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Well, I did say "Rams' interest", not just McVay, and also "semi-serious". The advantages for KK were/are really pretty obvious. The not so obvious is the possibility that McVay didn't make the call to KK totally on his own and/or organizational support for other reasons - someone in marketing/upper management could have given encouragement or offered material assistance.

I would hope so.

Honestly, that makes sense with this org focusing and emphasizing communication as much as they do.

I can't imagine McVay not even consulting with anyone prior to making a call like that. Just wouldn't fit literally everything we know about him.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Hire me.....
"Hey Coach, keep doing what you're doing.
I can deposit this check today, right?"
Can you believe he turned me down for much the same offer? I even offered to hold the check until Tuesday.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Can you believe he turned me down for much the same offer? I even offered to hold the check until Tuesday.
You do realize you have pretty dog smart don't you? Not saying you're not smart, but I'm not sure you're dog gone smart.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Who wouldn't want to work with Sean Mcvay ?

Has there ever been a coach more open to suggestion , help or brainstorming . Most of the guys my age think they know everything , especially a rookie coach of the year in the nfl . However mcvay seems to love learning , instead of thinking he knows defense he brings in wade Phillips. He has already got a few guys promoted and it would be a huge opportunity for any ncaa coach to work with mcvay.

I love this coach more and more every week, again thank you les and management ! Best rams move in over a decade !!

Kevin Demoff has a lot to do with the both of them being Rams (Wade & McVay)

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

View: https://twitter.com/PSchrags/status/1069275348821454848

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/video/1386575427687

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...eportedly-targeted-by-rams-for-assistant-role

Obviously, most will know Kingsbury for his time at Texas Tech and the dynamic offenses he led there. This reminds me of Belichick bringing in Chip Kelly a year or two before Kelly came into the league. With all the focus and innovation on offense, bringing in a guy like Kingsbury would have some nice benefits. One would hope he would bring in some new wrinkles that add to the production and help the team get over the hump in crucial situations.

Kingsbury is going to be a highly sought after coach soon but is stuck in a bit of a purgatory in this current time frame, so it's a good time to bring him in for a short commitment for the rest of the year. He adds it to his résumé and the Rams get to use whatever knowledge he has to benefit the team. Seems like an "everybody wins" situation.

EDIT: I didn't realize there was a post on this already. My bad.

But if he waits until the Super Bowl all the jobs will be filled.

Ram65

Legend
So much for that. Can't hurt reaching out to who is now a local high profile college head coach.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Trichechus?

And the science joke falls flat.

Was hoping someone would look up the genus Trichechus, but apparently I'm surrounded by luddites. @bluecoconuts probably uses a manual telescope and an abacus!

Clearly, I will have to step my game up to entertain.

Fart jokes incoming!!!

1maGoh

Hall of Fame

Was hoping someone would look up the genus Trichechus, but apparently I'm surrounded by luddites. @bluecoconuts probably uses a manual telescope and an abacus!

Fart jokes incoming!!!
We won't stand for size discrimination around here Mack!

Your fart jokes better be clean.

bluecoconuts

Legend

Fart jokes incoming!!!

Don't hate on my abacus! The only Trichechus I care about is in the Aquila constellation.;)