Rams QB Jared Goff must learn to be a backup

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Goff had 5 turnovers in 49 pass attempts. There is a lot to progress with.
But, when a guy has to learn some very fundamental things....like taking a snap under center....along with all of the other rookie stuff, it is going to take time.
In this case taking the 30,000 foot view, the long term is also good in the short term.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Humility is a great character trait and I can attest that it took me years to acquire it and I believe Goff will be better off and it's just a matter of time before he's a perennial all pro and the same pundits will write about how being inactive humbled him, although I don't think that is an issue for Goff, he just needs to become more comfortable and @Mojo Ram is on point that playing in that Cal offense did him no favors.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Off that distinction, he separated himself from the rest of the quarterback group and the Rams built their justification to trade six picks to the Tennessee Titans to move from the 15th pick to the first pick overall to take Goff over North Dakota State’s Carson Wentz.
"The Rams exchange six picks over two drafts for THREE Titan picks in this years draft, including the top overall pick." You see, Vinnie, truth and clarity will bring you more respect, your lies and distortions? Only disdain and pity.

o to say there isn’t even a hint of disappointment that Goff didn’t distinguish himself as the second-string quarterback, let alone the starter, would be disingenuous.
How sad, and embarrassing for you, Vin, that you don't get this whole dynamic: young kid, in training, still learning the ropes, not ready yet. Why would they put him in the position of one-play -away from starting? The adults in the room understand this concept. Sounds like SOMEONE needs to go back to fetching coffee for the editors, until he understands basic football concepts. Huh, Vincent?

Based on how he performed during training camp and the preseason, it’s all we really have.
Again, "we" have a lot more than that.

And that’s disappointing considering the home run swing the Rams took to acquire Goff.
Try grand slam, puke.

And nothing like adding a dynamic new quarterback to carry the team to the next level.

That didn’t happen, obviously.
Nonsense, Vinnie. Just like when you were born and the doctor leaned over to the nurse and rolled his eyes, -totally unfair! It took years for people to properly conclude you're a loser. Please give Goff the same courtesy. I think his story may turn out better than yours.

To the untrained eye, Goff looks at least a year away from making a significant contribution. That goes for his level of play to his physical stature. He’s every bit the 6-foot-5 he’s listed. But 205 pounds never looked skinnier stretched over his lanky frame.
Uh, it's untrained. You might as well say, "To the gouged out eye, Goff appears..." You lost all credibility there.

I’m just going to be patient, wait until my number is called, and continue to get ready out on the field, and continue to practice as hard as I can,” Goff said. “When my number is called, be ready.
You see how an adult sounds, Vinnie? Rather than you, the nine year old girl.

Goff had 5 turnovers in 49 pass attempts.
I thought it was 4, with one fumble going out of bounds? Maybe I'm wrong there.

15 years ago, this wouldn't even be a story. People have lost their damn minds with regards to instant gratification in this league. It has been said before.....if Goff goes on to have a stellar career, will anyone even remember that he was inactive for his FIRST game??? Will anyone even CARE??
Bingo, Faceplant! Good call.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Never heard of it.
Yeah it's not in the jackass handbook.
200.gif

fearsomefour

Legend
"The Rams exchange six picks over two drafts for THREE Titan picks in this years draft, including the top overall pick." You see, Vinnie, truth and clarity will bring you more respect, your lies and distortions? Only disdain and pity.

How sad, and embarrassing for you, Vin, that you don't get this whole dynamic: young kid, in training, still learning the ropes, not ready yet. Why would they put him in the position of one-play -away from starting? The adults in the room understand this concept. Sounds like SOMEONE needs to go back to fetching coffee for the editors, until he understands basic football concepts. Huh, Vincent?

Again, "we" have a lot more than that.

Try grand slam, puke.

Nonsense, Vinnie. Just like when you were born and the doctor leaned over to the nurse and rolled his eyes, -totally unfair! It took years for people to properly conclude you're a loser. Please give Goff the same courtesy. I think his story may turn out better than yours.

Uh, it's untrained. You might as well say, "To the gouged out eye, Goff appears..." You lost all credibility there.

You see how an adult sounds, Vinnie? Rather than you, the nine year old girl.

I thought it was 4, with one fumble going out of bounds? Maybe I'm wrong there.

Bingo, Faceplant! Good call.
You are right with four turnovers now that I think of it.
I was counting the fumble that went out of bounds. Good correction.
Ball security was my point of course. Goff will get there.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
You are right with four turnovers now that I think of it.
I was counting the fumble that went out of bounds. Good correction.
Ball security was my point of course. Goff will get there.
I agree. (I wasn't "correcting" you, by the way. I wasn't sure myself.) He'll get there. If you think about it only the two fumbles were what you call "bone head" or showing of the need for adjustment. The two picks were great defensive plays-but also correctable with Goff's natural adjustment to the speed and quality of the NFL defense. No worries here.

FrankenRam

Starter
Well, the season's almost here and the focus will turn from Goff to the team. But I can't shake this feeling that Fisher mishandled this all from the beginning. Where would Goff be if he was established as the starter from day one? Got most of his reps with the 1st team? Played most of his preseason snaps with the 1st team? ......

If the kid can't take snaps from center, if he can't read defenses at the line of scrimmage, if he can't take a snap in the shotgun w/o fumbling, how is playing with the 1's going to aid those deficiencies. Those are individual player issues that need to be worked on by that individual player...along with the coaching staff. If those can't be accomplished with the 2's or 3's, playing with the 1's isn't going to help.

I'm not even a terribly big Fisher fan, but he's really getting a raw deal from many on this forum for Goff not starting. Fisher, Weinke, Boras, and whoever else you want to throw in can 'coach him up' as much as the CBA will allow, but if the kid isn't ready, they can't do a Vulcan Mind Meld on him.

And anyone that thinks Fisher is just holding him back 'because Fish doesn't play rookies', that's just nuts. Do 'you' really think they would expend the draft capital on a player they used of Goff and NOT play him if he's ready.....because he's a freakin' rookie.(?????) Seriously?!?!?!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And anyone that thinks Fisher is just holding him back 'because Fish doesn't play rookies', that's just nuts. Do 'you' really think they would expend the draft capital on a player they used of Goff and NOT play him if he's ready.....because he's a freakin' rookie.(?????) Seriously?!?!?!

Yes and no. I think Fisher is stuck in the 90s. His presumption is that a rookie isn't ready to play Week 1. Which is why he has a track record of not starting his first round picks Week 1. Go back through his history as a HC. I'd guesstimate that only around 30% or 40% of his first round rookies started Week 1. And 0% were QBs.

So no, Fisher doesn't have the mindset that Goff is ready, but he won't play him. Rather, Fisher's mindset is that a rookie isn't ready until he proves it. Some will defend this mindset. Personally, I think it's antiquated. When you look at the seasons that rookie QBs (and players as a whole) have been able to produce over the past decade or so, it makes you realize that the game has changed. Players are more capable of making an impact as rookies today than they were in the past.(QBs especially)

FrankenRam

Starter
Yes and no. I think Fisher is stuck in the 90s. His presumption is that a rookie isn't ready to play Week 1. Which is why he has a track record of not starting his first round picks Week 1. Go back through his history as a HC. I'd guesstimate that only around 30% or 40% of his first round rookies started Week 1. And 0% were QBs.

So no, Fisher doesn't have the mindset that Goff is ready, but he won't play him. Rather, Fisher's mindset is that a rookie isn't ready until he proves it. Some will defend this mindset. Personally, I think it's antiquated. When you look at the seasons that rookie QBs (and players as a whole) have been able to produce over the past decade or so, it makes you realize that the game has changed. Players are more capable of making an impact as rookies today than they were in the past.(QBs especially)

Isn't that the way it's supposed to work...isn't it supposed to be the players that give a team the best chance of winning the next game should be the ones that do?

You're making some broad generalizations about the 'readiness' of rookie players. Some may thrive, some may perform 'adequately', others take time. You can't lump them altogether and say because 'X' # of players were able to play week 1 of their rookie yr, Goff should be able to do so as well, and it's Fisher's fault if he isn't. Each player has to be assessed individually. Because Carson Wentz and/or Dak Prescot showed well yesterday has absolutely no bearing on Goff's level of readiness.

The '0% QB's" stat is utterly meaningless. How many QB's have been drafted by Fisher coached teams that might have been hoped to be ready to play Wk1. I don't know the #, but I feel damn confident in saying it's WAY too few to provide a meaningful sample size indicative of Fisher's philosophy towards playing rookie QB's.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
What about the rest of the team? Most of the players are expecting to make the playoffs. Some even signed extensions because they believe they have a chance for a winning season behind Keenum. And then If Fisher had declared Goff starter, even though he's not ready? "Trial by Fire " Fisher declares. You can be sure a lot of Rams players would be thinking "Oh crap, another losing season while the rookie learns the ropes."
In Pliladelphia, there were a few comments by the talking heads that there were just those sort of anoyomous comments by Eagle players when Wentz was named starter.

jap

Legend
I keep seeing this statement being printed. I'm no QB guru but even i knew this wasn't true simply because of the offense he ran at Cal.

It's blatant locker room fodder---or more likely Jared Goff fodder.

jap

Legend
I'm not even a terribly big Fisher fan, but he's really getting a raw deal from many on this forum for Goff not starting. Fisher, Weinke, Boras, and whoever else you want to throw in can 'coach him up' as much as the CBA will allow, but if the kid isn't ready, they can't do a Vulcan Mind Meld on him.

That's what you think!
Chris Weinke, the Vulcan, is capable of anything!

23487d5ab03afee3165e62efce418e2483e49294.jpg

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Isn't that the way it's supposed to work...isn't it supposed to be the players that give a team the best chance of winning the next game should be the ones that do?

No. That isn't the way it works in the NFL today. It's the opposite school of thought. The talented first round rookie is ready until he proves he's not.

You know why it is that way now? Because teams realized it typically gave them the best chance of winning the most games.

You're making some broad generalizations about the 'readiness' of rookie players. Some may thrive, some may perform 'adequately', others take time. You can't lump them altogether and say because 'X' # of players were able to play week 1 of their rookie yr, Goff should be able to do so as well, and it's Fisher's fault if he isn't. Each player has to be assessed individually. Because Carson Wentz and/or Dak Prescot showed well yesterday has absolutely no bearing on Goff's level of readiness.

I feel comfortable with my "generalizations." When every top 5 pick but Bortles and Goff over the past decade were "ready" enough to play (and the majority played well), I feel comfortable saying that this falls on Fisher.
(JaMarcus Russell isn't being counted because he held out until September 12th)

The '0% QB's" stat is utterly meaningless. How many QB's have been drafted by Fisher coached teams that might have been hoped to be ready to play Wk1. I don't know the #, but I feel damn confident in saying it's WAY too few to provide a meaningful sample size indicative of Fisher's philosophy towards playing rookie QB's.

Actually, it's quite meaningful. It shows a modus operandi. When you have Fisher bucking a league-wide trend by doing something that falls exactly within his MO, it speaks volumes.