Rams QB Jared Goff must learn to be a backup

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams QB Jared Goff must learn to be a backup

By Vincent Bonsignore, Los Angeles Daily News

[www.sgvtribune.com]

THOUSAND OAKS >> The starting point is nowhere near were Jared Goff originally imagined. In that respect, he’s no different than anyone else. The Rams included.

If anyone says they would have predicted or anticipated or been OK with the first overall pick starting his NFL career at the back of the Rams quarterback line, they’re either lying or not in the loop.

Goff was generally regarded as the most National Football League quarterback available in last April’s draft, and that wasn’t an opinion exclusive to the Rams.

Off that distinction, he separated himself from the rest of the quarterback group and the Rams built their justification to trade six picks to the Tennessee Titans to move from the 15th pick to the first pick overall to take Goff over North Dakota State’s Carson Wentz.

So to say there isn’t even a hint of disappointment that Goff didn’t distinguish himself as the second-string quarterback, let alone the starter, would be disingenuous.

“My whole life, I’ve been the starter,” Goff said.

Now he’s third string. And that takes some getting used to.

For everyone.

Instead of returning home to the Bay Area the starting quarterback of the Los Angeles Rams, he’ll be standing on the sideline in street clothes.

Instead of preparing for the season opener against the San Francisco 49ers, he’s focused on a long-range plan that will eventually lift him from the raw prospect he looked like during training camp to the player everyone assumed he’d rapidly be upon the Rams taking him with the first overall pick.

It’s about having faith in the process rather than trusting this week’s game plan.

“And there is a process,” Goff said. “You’re just going to trust the process, and know that it’s all going to work out.”

He said this with conviction in his voice. But more and more the conversation about Goff is based on hope rather than certainty.

Based on how he performed during training camp and the preseason, it’s all we really have.

Yes, the Rams preached patience with Goff going all the way back to their pre-draft evaluation of him. And in talking to the former Cal Golden Bear, Rams coach Jeff Fisher was up front that getting him on the field could be swift or a prolonged ordeal.

“He talked about if (prolonged) was the case, there will be no rushing,” Goff said. “Whenever it’s time, it’s time. If it needs to happen early, it happens early. If it needs to happen a little bit later, it happens later. I’m just going to continue to trust him and to trust the process, and know that they have a really well thought-out plan in place, and I’m still a part of it.”

But completion of that plan seems so much further away than anyone could have imagined.

And that’s disappointing considering the home run swing the Rams took to acquire Goff.

It was move made for reasons both obvious and subtle.

No question they wanted to make a bold first step back into the Los Angeles market, and it doesn’t get much grander than trading for the first overall pick and grabbing a future face of the franchise at the most important position on the field.

Just as importantly, in talking to Rams folks, there is a sincere belief they are inches away from taking that next step in the growth process rather than feet. Closing that gap was predicated primarily on better quarterback play.

With one mighty swing of the bat, they felt they achieved both objectives.

Nothing like making a bold move to stir up the second-biggest market in the country.

And nothing like adding a dynamic new quarterback to carry the team to the next level.

That didn’t happen, obviously.

Goff performed through training camp and preseason like a prospect still in need of major seasoning. Without the benefit of the minor leagues for more fine tuning, he’ll toil away behind the scenes trying to get up to speed.

To the untrained eye, Goff looks at least a year away from making a significant contribution. That goes for his level of play to his physical stature. He’s every bit the 6-foot-5 he’s listed. But 205 pounds never looked skinnier stretched over his lanky frame.

Meanwhile, starter Case Keenum and second-year man Sean Mannion significantly out-played Goff. So when the Rams drew up their depth chart for Monday night’s season opener, there was no justification to elevate Goff over the two veterans.

Discouraging.

But prudent.

And for the kid for whom so much was expected, about as humbling as you can imagine.

His name was called first overall among 253 players drafted last April.

But no telling when his named will be called upon.

Nobody had that in the script.

“I’m just going to be patient, wait until my number is called, and continue to get ready out on the field, and continue to practice as hard as I can,” Goff said. “When my number is called, be ready.”

Goff’s NFL future pretty much depends on it.

His ability to process and compartmentalize what can only be deemed a set back and learn and grow and emerge better for it are the keys to everything.

And he’ll have to do it as much mentally as he does physically.

With practice time cut down in the NFL over the years and reps at a premium for the starter and back up, third-string quarterbacks get precious few chances to get snaps during the course of the week. So Goff will have to rely on his eyes and ears watching Keenum and Mannion almost as much as his legs and arm.

“Just continue to learn and take mental reps,” he said. “I’ve never done it before, so I am learning how to do that as well. Just trying to try to learn from what they do well, and then learn from their mistakes. Case has been in the league for a long time now. I just pick his brain and ask him as much as I can, and get to know as much as I can before my number is called, so I can be ready.”

When that time comes is anyone’s guess.

fearsomefour

Legend
Goff had 5 turnovers in 49 pass attempts. There is a lot to progress with.
But, when a guy has to learn some very fundamental things....like taking a snap under center....along with all of the other rookie stuff, it is going to take time.
In this case taking the 30,000 foot view, the long term is also good in the short term.
It will be interesting to watch the rookies this season and RG3 too.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Well, the season's almost here and the focus will turn from Goff to the team. But I can't shake this feeling that Fisher mishandled this all from the beginning. Where would Goff be if he was established as the starter from day one? Got most of his reps with the 1st team? Played most of his preseason snaps with the 1st team?

None of that even matters now. Whats done is done. Goff isn't ready and Keenum will lead the team. Fisher is gambling Keenum can win. All I know is, if we have another losing season under Keenum, Fisher's handling of all this can only be considered a monumental blunder.

Because if you can't win with the guy you established as your number one while the first pick of the entire draft is a healthy scratch, you either severely miscalculated that pick or you severely mishandled the way you coached him. Either one would not be good.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Doesn't anybody listen? Fisher has said time and time again he was going to go slow with Goff and there was no rush or time table for getting on the field, even before OTA's. And the there's Fishers history with Rookies. He just doesn't paly them right away.
I knew on draft day it would be more of a shock if he played in the first game than not. Fisher's othe QB he drafted didn't see the field for quite a while.
No one should be surprised, there were plenty of indicators Goff was never going to see he field right away.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
15 years ago, this wouldn't even be a story. People have lost their damn minds with regards to instant gratification in this league. It has been said before.....if Goff goes on to have a stellar career, will anyone even remember that he was inactive for his FIRST game??? Will anyone even CARE??

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Vinny is a trash writer IMO. This is just to drum up clicks and watercooler talk. Goff will be fine as soon as he's comfortable dropping from under center. He's already made some throws that make me say, "Ohhh yeah!", like the Koolaid Man! Keenum with a healthy Gurley and D will be just fine for the first quarter of the year IMO. I'm looking for Goff to start around the Buffalo game or the bye after the London game.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Because if you can't win with the guy you established as your number one while the first pick of the entire draft is a healthy scratch, you either severely miscalculated that pick or you severely mishandled the way you coached him. Either one would not be good.

But's the thing is the Rams' established guy is Case Keenum. They went 3-2. Granted, not great, still above .500 with Case.

IDK why some are saying this is a Jeff Fisher issue. Could it be simply, that Jared himself needs more time? It's on him to adapt to the pros. Why could both Case and Sean Mannion do it, but not Jared? I'm not saying that he isn't learning, but at the end of the day, he's a rookie. A rookie that needs more time than expected.

And, if he was ready out of the gates, he should be lighting up the UDFAs and JAGs that will never see another team. Practice squad if lucky. That didn't happen. Its also a competition thing, Jared didn't beat out Case (or Sean). Yet. I fully expect Jared to start this year, but it won't be for a few weeks.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
If anyone says they would have predicted or anticipated or been OK with the first overall pick starting his NFL career at the back of the Rams quarterback line, they’re either lying or not in the loop.

Goff was generally regarded as the most National Football League quarterback available in last April’s draft, and that wasn’t an opinion exclusive to the Rams.
IMO, Both of these statements are not true!! Other 1st round picks have not started their 1st regular season games! And Wentz was considered the most Pro Ready QB not Goff! Goff was considered the more Athletic w/ more up-side! JMHO!

…..

Legend
In completely related yet unrelated news, I'm thinking the Rams that are actually suiting up Monday are going to have a great game and we'll all be impressed with the play calling and the offensive rhythm.

I know this is fascinating for some people to follow, but I've washed my hands of this, am taking a wait and see attitude, and am completely focused on the players actually playing, and all else not Jared Goff.

We will not be the 1st team in NFL History to win a game while sitting around talking about a bench player.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No Vinny, Fisher has said consistently that they would move slowly with Goff....If you want to call the man a liar, then why don't you man up and say it straight, you POS.....He said he was not disappointed with Goff's progress, so there is that. We as fans have perhaps an unreal expectation of the top QB in the draft starting day one..But then often the team that gets that guy is the worst team in the NFL, which we are not. We have a better chance to win at the moment with Keenum, and the other 52 guys on the squad arn't thinking about the next ten years, they are thinking right now, because that's all they have. Fisher has a responsibility to them to field the best starting team that he can.

As for training Goff to be a back up? I DNR the long assed article beyond the first couple of paragraphs, but I'd rather train Goff to be the Alpha Dog starter, thank you very much.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Bullshit

Goff doesn't need to learn how to be a backup.

He needs to learn how to prepare for an NFL game by watching someone with limited talent do it.

Hard work beats talent.

Goff is learning how to be a professional.

And I hope he doesn't crack a smile the entire game (except when we score and win and have big plays).

He should know that it should be him on the field.

I hope he is HUNGRY to lead this team to VICTORY.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I went to several of the Rams TC's in Irvine and from what I saw Goff do, he could start. Fisher had his mind made up and said so many, many times. " We're going to bring him along slowly". Goff didn't exactly lite it up in camp but he showed enough that Fisher could start him. I don't think Fisher would have started him game one even if he did lite it up. They decided that no matter what, Goff was going to sit and watch games form the sidelines.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
lol. Okay then.
I've said for YEARS that I think drafted QBs need to sit and learn as opposed to being thrown into the mix day one.

But whatever.

A55VA6

Legend
lol. Okay then.
I've said for YEARS that I think drafted QBs need to sit and learn as opposed to being thrown into the mix day one.

But whatever.
Agree 100%. Plus, Goff is only 21 years old, so he's got plenty of football ahead of him...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No. Goff must never learn to be a backup. He's a starter.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
No. Goff must never learn to be a backup. He's a starter.
That i agree with. I think the better phrase would have been "he has to learn to deal with being a backup."

For now.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Goff was generally regarded as the most National Football League quarterback available in last April’s draft
I keep seeing this statement being printed. I'm no QB guru but even i knew this wasn't true simply because of the offense he ran at Cal.