Rams Practice Report 10/28: Making the Offensive Adjustments

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
The adjustment should start with a more diversified attack that uses the size of your WRs to your advantage. Short passes that allow Quick and Britt to catch and then break tackles
I think they are trying to do what you're saying, it just seems they aren't establishing any rhythm or consistency at all in their short passing game. Foles is #1 in YAC% of all QBs -- it's skewed by the number of receptions going to Benny and Tavon -- but Britt's YAC is 61% of his yards. So the YAC is there, yet none of it seems to reliably happen on 3rd-and-long, and I think it gets back to what you suggest about the patterns.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
The adjustment should start with a more diversified attack that uses the size of your WRs to your advantage. Short passes that allow Quick and Britt to catch and then break tackles, as well as getting Bailey in the mix.

These are game breaking WRs the Rams have but if you use them properly they can be quite effective. I'd like to see more "quick slant" and quick out routes.

Take a look at how the Cardinals use their big WRs Fitz and Floyd...they get them the ball forcing the DBs to try and make the tackles.

You use your WRs at what they do best!
I agree with your thoughts on how to use the size advantage of our WRs but it's unfair to compare them to Fitz and Floyd. Those two are #1 type WRs and we don't have anything that compares to them.

RamWoodie

Legend
I agree with your thoughts on how to use the size advantage of our WRs but it's unfair to compare them to Fitz and Floyd. Those two are #1 type WRs and we don't have anything that compares to them.
I disagree when it comes to Floyd...but as for Fitz none of the Rams WRs measure up. The main difference is Arians is an offensive mind. He finds ways to get them the ball that suits their abilities.

Brain Quick can be a #1 WR...he was coming on nicely last year before he was injured. I'm not sure if he and Foles really have a good feel for each other.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
Rams were doing that from day one this season tbh, making good adjustments at halftime. I credit Cigs and the offensive staff there. They just need to do a better job getting a full 60 from the offense. IMO they are very close to being a strong unit, given the status of the run game with Gurley in the backfield. Really hope they start hitting on at least 3/4 cylinders here soon.

I see what you did there, Fish. I like his creative efforts in ensuring the Rams don't overlook anyone this season, it seemed to work pretty well with Cleveland so here's hoping the message stays effective.
the irony is that the offense would probably be decent if Schotty were around to turn in a weekly homework assignment of 10-15 first half scripted plays and turn it over to Cig for the second half adjustments lol

KNUCKLEHEAD

I won't say it unless you don't.
Rams Practice Report 10/28: Making the Offensive Adjustments

AUSTIN’S BLOCKING
“You’ve got the smallest guy on the field trying to throw one of the biggest blocks to try to spur another guy for a huge gain. That’s Tavon awesome. .”

Fixed it.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I disagree when it comes to Floyd...but as for Fitz none of the Rams WRs measure up. The main difference is Arians is an offensive mind. He finds ways to get them the ball that suits their abilities.

Brain Quick can be a #1 WR...he was coming on nicely last year before he was injured. I'm not sure if he and Foles really have a good feel for each other.
Well we will have to agree to disagree on Floyd. Quick was playing better in 2014 but to be honest he wasn't killing it either. He had 3 good games and 3 very average games. He got hurt in the 7th game so I won't count that one. That we all got so excited from above average play shows how little he did before that. But I pray he proves me 100% wrong and I will gladly eat crow because I believe he's the only WR we have that has the potential to be a #1 WR

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Well we will have to agree to disagree on Floyd. Quick was playing better in 2014 but to be honest he wasn't killing it either. He had 3 good games and 3 very average games. He got hurt in the 7th game so I won't count that one. That we all got so excited from above average play shows how little he did before that. But I pray he proves me 100% wrong and I will gladly eat crow because I believe he's the only WR we have that has the potential to be a #1 WR

If you add the WR that Quick was before that injury to THIS team, the offense will probably take off.

It's about matchups. Gurley and Austin together are downright nasty when Cigs gets them rolling with that misdirection and play action. But two matchup probs with a bunch of inconsistent tertiary options are not enough in the NFL. Rams need a third to have a good offense. And if they get four somehow as this season progresses, i.e. both Bailey and Quick step it up and build rapport with Foles, this offense could be excellent.