Rams Practice Report 10/28: Making the Offensive Adjustments

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams Practice Report 10/28: Making the Offensive Adjustments

By Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-practicereport/Practice-Report-1028-Making-the-Offensive-Adjustments/da96b794-0f05-4a7b-b933-b44ed2be46b3

When it comes to improving the Rams’ offense, head coach Jeff Fisher has been clear. The team needs to start faster, sustain drives, and make third-down conversions.

One of the ways the unit found success against the Browns was by utilizing the no-huddle offense in the third quarter. On Wednesday, offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti said the strategy was a product of making some halftime adjustments.

“That’s something that just came up that, ‘Hey, what do you think about maybe going no-huddle and giving us a spark?’ Obviously, at that time, it was the right thing to do,” Cignetti said.

When the Rams went no-huddle in the third quarter, they may have caught the Browns a bit by surprise, as running back Todd Gurley was able to rip off a 48-yard run to get St. Louis deep in Cleveland territory. While the Rams did not score points on that drive, they would on their next third-quarter possession going no-huddle, as Kenny Britt made a 41-yard reception to put the Rams at the Cleveland 1. Gurley then finished off the drive with his first NFL touchdown.

Cignetti said one of the biggest reasons for utilizing the tactic was just to get a rhythm established.

“It gave us the spark that we needed,” Cignetti said. “We needed something to get us going and I thought we did very well in it.”

When the offense is running the no-huddle, clearly the quarterback has a significant amount of control on the field. Part of why the Rams can run it successfully now is the comfort factor between Nick Foles, his coaches, and his receivers.

“They have confidence in me to have some leeway in situations,” Foles said. “That'll keep going on as we build these relationships. They are building day to day and week to week. This is my first year in the offense -- first year with Cignetti -- so Frank and I are developing that relationship and learning each other each week.”

Plus, as Cignetti put it, the quarterback has the skill set to tun the no-huddle effectively.

“You look at his background, he’s very comfortable in the no-huddle offense,” Cignetti said. “Like all quarterbacks do -- it’s just not Nick Foles, but he sees the field better when he’s in the gun.”

As Foles said after Sunday’s game, he’s run the no-huddle not only with the Eagles, but also in college at Arizona and even in high school. That comes through in his ability to take command on the field and direct traffic. Foles said while he does have some flexibility at the line, he’s not just calling plays from thin air.

“I get with Cignetti during the week and we talk about it,” Foles said. “We talk about the offense in general, what my reads are. We have a gameplan going in. It's not just me freelancing whenever I run the offense.”

Utilizing that gameplan in order to get off to a faster start is one of the offense’s goals this week. Foles said the Rams must stay out of negative plays on early downs to do so.

“We are getting to too many 3rd-and-longs,” Foles said. “You get in 3rd-and-long, especially early in the game, it's really hard to convert. A lot of defenses do a lot of exotics on third down. It's one of those things where I think we're having to make adjustments on the sidelines, and then we get things going and try to find that rhythm. The big key is staying inside the chains -- on first and second down getting positive yards. That will help.”

“We’d love to start faster,” Cignetti said. “It’s something we’ve talked about -- minimize mistakes. In football, there’s things that stall drives. If we can start just eliminating some of those things, we’ll start faster.”

While defenses have sometimes come out in different sets than they’ve shown on film, Foles said the offense has been able to make tweaks on the sideline in order to get things going. St. Louis has also had success with that at halftime, as the club has outscored its opponents 38-16 in the third quarter.

“In the NFL you have to make adjustments and you have to make it on the fly,” Foles said. “Our coaches do a great job of that.”

And so while the Rams may or may not run the no-huddle against the 49ers this week, they do have it in their back pocket as a possible in-game adjustment.

“We're going to run our offense and do what works,” Foles said. “It's a week-to-week thing. Last week, we just sort of switched it up and needed to get something going. So this week we're going to run our offense and see where it goes.”

SAFFOLD IN GOOD SPIRITS

Offensive lineman Rodger Saffold was at practice on Wednesday, observing and helping coach up his teammates. The guard was placed on injured reserve on Oct. 15 after undergoing season-ending shoulder surgery.

While the offensive lineman was certainly disappointed in how his 2015 season ended, he said he’s looking forward to having an entire offseason to get back to full strength. Still, going on IR was made even more difficult knowing how the team is on the cusp of success.

“That's what made it tough because I understand the talent on this team and what they can accomplish,” Saffold said. “I want to be able to help them get there as best I can. The only thing is that now it's going to be from the sideline.”

AUSTIN’S BLOCKING

Wide receiver Tavon Austin is known for his shiftiness on the field as an offensive and special teams weapon. But after Sunday’s performance, Austin has gotten some well earned recognition for his downfield blocking.

“It just goes back to, what you want is team-first guys,” Foles said. “He’s a guy who everybody talks about his explosive play-making ability, but he’s a team-first guy and he shows it right there blocking down field. Without those blocks, Todd doesn’t get in the end zone. Who knows, Todd can do a lot of things, so he might bulldozer guys. But, having Tavon down field, a guy like him, a playmaker blocking, is a great example for everyone else.”

“When you see a perimeter player down the field, laying the wood like Tavon did, I mean, that’s exciting,” Cignetti said. “That’s football. You have to love it. It creates energy.”

Austin’s defensive teammates noticed the effort as well.

“You have guys that really care about each other, and they’ll sell out for each other,” linebacker James Laurinaitis said. “You’ve got the smallest guy on the field trying to throw one of the biggest blocks to try to spur another guy for a huge gain. That’s awesome. I love it, especially when you see that kind of passion. It basically elevates the whole team, really.”

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams light on defensive linemen in Wednesday's practice
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...t-on-defensive-linemen-in-wednesdays-practice

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The St. Louis Rams practiced Wednesday without four of their regular defensive linemen.

Ends Chris Long (knee), Robert Quinn (knee), William Hayes (thigh) and defensive tackle Nick Fairley (illness) did not participate in the workout. Long didn't play last week as he recovers from a hyperextended knee and coach Jeff Fisher indicated Monday that he probably won't be back this week.

Elsewhere, the Rams were without safety T.J. McDonald (shoulder) and running back Tre Mason (ankle) also did not practice.

Here's the full breakdown of Wednesday's injury report:

Did not participate: DE Chris Long (knee), DE Robert Quinn (knee), DE William Hayes (thigh), DT Nick Fairley (illness), RB Tre Mason (ankle), S T.J. McDonald (shoulder)

Full participation: LB James Laurinaitis (elbow), TE Lance Kendricks (thumb)

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
They have to do something to move this offense in more positive direction. Now is a good time to figure it out be fore we meet up with the Bengals and our 2nd match ups with Seattle and Arizona.

RamWoodie

Legend
The adjustment should start with a more diversified attack that uses the size of your WRs to your advantage. Short passes that allow Quick and Britt to catch and then break tackles, as well as getting Bailey in the mix.

These are game breaking WRs the Rams have but if you use them properly they can be quite effective. I'd like to see more "quick slant" and quick out routes.

Take a look at how the Cardinals use their big WRs Fitz and Floyd...they get them the ball forcing the DBs to try and make the tackles.

You use your WRs at what they do best!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
it’s just not Nick Foles, but he sees the field better when he’s in the gun.”

So there is the coaches explanation of why so many shotgun formations

In football, there’s things that stall drives. If we can start just eliminating some of those things, we’ll start faster.”

I wont even mention the name. You already know it.

The adjustment should start with a more diversified attack that uses the size of your WRs to your advantage. Short passes that allow Quick and Britt to catch and then break tackles, as well as getting Bailey in the mix.

These are game breaking WRs the Rams have but if you use them properly they can be quite effective. I'd like to see more "quick slant" and quick out routes.

Take a look at how the Cardinals use their big WRs Fitz and Floyd...they get them the ball forcing the DBs to try and make the tackles.

You use your WRs at what they do best!

I agree totally. I get that they want the field opened up, but if they call a run play and Britt and Quick are in the middle they can block DBs. That is as good as running them deep. All the sideline routes take them out of the play too much so that they can't even contribute to block most of the time.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams notes: Worthington is promoted to roster
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_e064a752-d434-5898-92d8-4c4f1c0f17f8.html

Defensive tackle Doug Worthington joined the Rams late last season and has been on the team’s practice squad.

Until now.

Before practice Tuesday, the well-traveled Ohio State product received the news that he’d been promoted to the 53-man roster.

“It’s just an awesome feeling. Definitely a blessing,’’ the 28-year-old Worthington said. “This is a Rams organization that gave me a chance late last year when I really wasn’t expecting it and now I’m trying to make the most of it. This is the best defensive line in the NFL, so I’m very humbled and very happy to be here.’’

And what can Worthington add as the Rams prepare to take on the San Francisco 49ers Sunday in a noon game at the Edward Jones Dome?

“Depth,’’ he said. “I’m a hard worker, I know my assignments and I’m going to get in there and be grimy. I’m going to play and play hard.’’

Worthington was selected by Pittsburgh in the seventh round of the 2010 draft and began that season on the Steelers’ practice squad. He finished 2010 on Tampa Bay’s practice squad and was with Washington from 2011-13. There, he played in six NFL games, contributing three tackles and a deflected pass in 2012.

He was in training camp last year with San Diego and signed with the Rams on Dec. 16.

“My career has been kind of up and down,’’ he admitted. “Even here, in camp I never got a chance to flourish like I wanted — had a little bit of a quad injury — but luckily they saw enough in the five practices I did have to keep me around.’’

With the Rams’ defensive line a little banged up, the 6-foot-5, 318-pound Worthington clearly fills a need.

“Doug’s a big man,’’ Rams coach Jeff Fisher said. “He can play the run. He’s stout. He’s smart.... I don’t know how things are going to unfold toward the end of the week, (but) it’s almost November (and in) November, people start running the football. You look at our schedule down the road here starting with this week’s opponent, they’re going to run the ball. Doug’s a run-stopper. He’s a load inside and he’s smart. Keeping him active is going to be another challenge on the 46 (game-day roster), but we’ll see how it goes.”

INURY REPORT

The Rams were without defensive linemen Chris Long (knee), Robert Quinn (knee), William Hayes (thigh) and Nick Fairley (illness) for Wednesday’s practice at Rams Park. Running back Tre Mason (ankle) and safety T.J. McDonald (shoulder) also sat out.Linebacker James Laurinaitis (elbow) and tight end Lance Kendricks (thumb) were full participants in the Wednesday workout.For San Francisco, linebacker NaVorro Bowman (shoulder), running back Carlos Hyde (foot) and defensive tackle Tony Jerod-Eddie (not injury related) did not practice Wednesday, with guard Alex Boone (shoulder, knee), linebacker Ahmad Brooks (shoulder), safety Eric Reid (chest) and tackle Joe Staley (shoulder) limited.

Quarterback Colin Kaepernick (right hand) and tackle Erik Pears (back) were full participants.

WATTS’ RETURN

Running back Trey Watts made his season debut on Sunday, taking part in nine plays on special teams and making his first tackle of 2015.Signed as an undrafted free agent after a standout career at the University of Tulsa, Watts played in 14 games a year ago and impressed the club with his versatility. But after sitting out the first four games due to an suspension for violating the NFL’s policy on substance abuse and spending another week inactive with a roster exemption, Watts was released, signed to the practice squad and promoted to the 53-man roster, all in the span of 11 days.“It’s been an interesting couple of weeks,’’ the 24-year-old said. “I’m just happy to be back on 53 and getting an opportunity to play. When I was released, they told me the plan was to bring me back on practice squad, so I wasn’t too stressed out. From there, you just do what you can to make sure you’re ready. We had some injuries, I go my opportunity and I felt like I was able to contribute on Sunday.

“I had a lot of fun getting out there and playing again.’’

AENEAS HONORED AGAIN

Former Rams defensive back Aeneas Williams is starting to pile up the Hall of Fame honors.Inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame’s Class of 2014, Williams has been named to the Black College Football Hall of Fame, the group announced Tuesday.“I’m so glad I was blessed to put the work in college and then also in the pros,” Williams, who played at Southern University, said. “For the selection committee just to remember how I played the game and my impact on the game when I played, to be selected is just a tremendous honor.”

Williams is joined in the Class of 2016 by Ken Burrough (Texas Southern), Jethro Pugh (Elizabeth City State), Otis Taylor (Prairie View A&M) and Emmitt Thomas (Bishop College) as players, and the late Lloyd “Judge” Wells (Texas Southern) as a contributor.

Wells was a former Kansas City Chiefs scout.

Thomas, 72, is still in coaching as defensive backs coach for the Kansas City Chiefs. He was an assistant coach with the St. Louis football Cardinals from 1981-85.

“Being inducted with the great Emmitt Thomas, it’s another truly humbling experience,” Williams said.

Thomas also is a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

The Class of 2016 will be honored at the seventh annual Black College Football Hall of Fame Enshrinement Ceremony, Feb. 27 in Atlanta.

RAM-BLINGS

The NFL Network’s Emmy-nominated show, A Football Life, featuring former Rams coach Dick Vermeil, will make its debut Friday at 8 p.m. The one-hour show will highlight Vermeil’s experiences coaching at all four levels of football and his success as an NFL head coach with the Rams, Philadelphia Eagles and Kansas City Chiefs.• Former Rams running back Daryl Richardson, a seventh-round draft pick who played here in 2012 and 2013, has been signed to the Houston Texans’ practice squad.• Brandon Dixon, a defensive back from Northwest Missouri State, has been released from the New England practice squad.

Jim Thomas of the Post-Dispatch contributed to this report.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Offensive lineman Rodger Saffold was at practice on Wednesday, observing and helping coach up his teammates. The guard was placed on injured reserve on Oct. 15 after undergoing season-ending shoulder surgery.

While the offensive lineman was certainly disappointed in how his 2015 season ended, he said he’s looking forward to having an entire offseason to get back to full strength. Still, going on IR was made even more difficult knowing how the team is on the cusp of success.

“That's what made it tough because I understand the talent on this team and what they can accomplish,” Saffold said. “I want to be able to help them get there as best I can. The only thing is that now it's going to be from the sideline.”
I'm so tired of this type of message from Rodger...He reminds me of DX, Sam, and a host of other injured Rams players....I'm tired of this element around this team....TIRED!!!
Fixed it for ya flv!!!:yess:

Excellent point Woodie....I'm bringing this down here...because it would seem obvious to most that this is a way to get the offense going...moving...something....use Quick, Britt, and damnit COOK!!!! Yea, I said it...again....we need this guy...

Look, I love Tavon & Sted....I do...I just don't think those guys are ready to shoulder the starting wide-out roles....We've basically used them the whole season...It's winning time now...we need to go with what works in the NFL....Getting all the time...all the routes...all the plays...and we're dead last in passing...And it's not all them...But lets at least TRY to get Foles going....Otherwise, I'm about ready to be convinced this guy is just awful....Hell, this kinda play got Austin Davis cut....HELL, AUSTIN DAVIS WAS BETTER THAN THIS.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Wow all of our top three starting DE's & our top reserve DT ....did not practice and are hurting! Leaving just the just recently returning Eugene Sims & Ethan Westbrooks healthy. Looks like DT Doug Worthington may see his first Ram regular season action this Sunday.

These Injuries is about normal for near mid season of the NFL.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
obviously the offense has some serious issues. but in the 3rd and 4th quarter they always pick it up. not something we ever saw with Schotty. I wonder how much of that is Cig and how much is just Gurley beating the shit out of teams til they break

RamWoodie

Legend
I like what Foles said in that interview...but the problem is each week they don't produce *could* lead to another loss. The Rams cannot ask the defense to hold it down game after game.

I'm not gonna act like I have all the answers...but Foles and the WRs need to be putting in the work to get on the same page. We don't have burner WRs except for TA, the rest are good to very good solid WRs...and the Rams can win if they get it going offensively.

I don't mind saying I'm not to certain about beating the NIners if the offense can't move the ball consistently. If the Rams keep giving Kap opportunities...that guy has the mobility to break things down and next thing you know a SF WR is loose deep down the field!

THE OFFENSE HAS TO PRODUCE...or this is a scary game!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
obviously the offense has some serious issues. but in the 3rd and 4th quarter they always pick it up. not something we ever saw with Schotty. I wonder how much of that is Cig and how much is just Gurley beating the crap out of teams til they break

Rams were doing that from day one this season tbh, making good adjustments at halftime. I credit Cigs and the offensive staff there. They just need to do a better job getting a full 60 from the offense. IMO they are very close to being a strong unit, given the status of the run game with Gurley in the backfield. Really hope they start hitting on at least 3/4 cylinders here soon.

Fisher:SF Record Not Reflective of the Type of Team They Are

Head coach Jeff Fisher talks about squaring off with a division rival and how San Francisco is better than their record indicates.

I see what you did there, Fish. I like his creative efforts in ensuring the Rams don't overlook anyone this season, it seemed to work pretty well with Cleveland so here's hoping the message stays effective.

rambone

UDFA
“That’s something that just came up that, ‘Hey, what do you think about maybe going no-huddle and giving us a spark?’ Obviously, at that time, it was the right thing to do,” Cignetti said.

Huh?? Say what?? You’ve got thousands of fans begging the Rams to go no-huddle and the guy they are paying to do this with years of NFL experience, says “it just came up”??? WTF?