Rams Positional Outlook: Offensive Line

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Rams-Positional-Outlook-Offensive-Line/72f662c3-a841-41ea-b35c-d9ed666f5688

Rams Positional Outlook: Offensive Line
Kristen Lago

The 2017 Rams won their first NFC West title since 2003 with an 11-5 regular-season record. As Los Angeles’ focus shifts to 2018 and beyond, we’ll take a position-by-position look at how the Rams performed in 2017 and how each group currently stands at the start of the 2018 offseason.

OFFENSIVE LINE

G | Jamon Brown

— 16 games played, 16 game started.

G | Rodger Saffold

— 15 games played, 15 games started.

C | John Sullivan

T | Andrew Whitworth *^

T | Rob Havenstein

—15 games played, 15 games started.

C | Austin Blythe

— 16 games played, one game started.

T | Darrell Williams

— 16 games played, one game started.

T | Cornelius Lucas

— One game played, one game started.

C/G | Aaron Neary

— One game played, one game started.

OL | Jake Eldrenkamp

— Eldrenkamp signed a futures contract with the Rams.

*Pro Bowl

^All-Pro

ANY FREE AGENTS?

Sullivan and Lucas will be unrestricted free agents, while Williams will be a restricted free agent at the start of the new league year in March.

LOOK BACK, LOOK AHEAD

The Rams underwent a major overhaul of their offensive line during the offseason — adding veteran linemen Whitworth and Sullivan. The two have a combined 23 NFL seasons between them and helped elevate the play of Saffold, Havenstein, and Brown throughout 2017.

While the Los Angeles’ offense as a whole surged under head coach Sean McVay — finishing the regular season No. 1 in scoring — the front five were key to the Rams’ success. All five lineman started the first 15 games, bringing much-needed consistency to the offense.

After giving up 49 sacks in 2016, the Rams gave up just 28 sacks on the season, according to Pro Football Focus. Quarterback Jared Goff was given much more protection up front, allowing him to throw for 3,804 yards and 28 touchdowns. Last year the Cal product was sacked 26 times in seven games, but was sacked just 25 times in 15 games in 2017.

Plus, the unit was able to limit negative runs to finish the year with 17 rushing touchdowns.

Per PFF, Whitworth and Saffold allowed just seven sacks and eight quarterback hits.

But Sullivan had a solid campaign as well, allowing just one sack on the season. The right side was equally as impressive as Brown and Havenstein showcased significant year-over-year improvements.

Scheme and execution allowed the Rams to open up run lanes, as the team's 1.89 average rushing yards before contact ranked No. 2 in the league. And according to PFF, no team was better than Los Angeles at opening holes through the middle, as the club produced 3.02 an average of 3.02 yards per contact.

The starting O-line remained healthy throughout the year so the reserves did not have many opportunities. But because of the Rams practice schedule — which allows for several veteran rest days throughout the week — Blythe and Williams received extended time practicing alongside the starters. That preparation paid off several times when they were asked to step up into game action, especially in Week 17 when Brown was the only starter to take the field.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
I really like where we are on the offensive line. Quality starters who stayed healthy, which I credit mostly to improved coaching and improved technique. Promising young players at key positions who should get better. re-sign Sullivan for one or two years and we are good for another season.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Corneilius Lucas is an enigma. An UDFA signed by the Lions, (2014-16) He only played one game for the Rams starting the last game at RT, and played pretty well. Lucas has the ideal size for LT. 6'8", 330lbs with quick feet and huge wingspan. If the Rams re-sign him I'm guessing Kromer thinks he can get him to play. Lucas could be Kromer's "diamond in the rough" as Whitworths replacement at LT. Darryll Williams is NOT that guy.

Rams gave Eldrencamp and new contract. Kromer must see some promise in him. Could be Sullivan's back up?

I have to believe they draft OL and sign a FA for depth.

I keep thinking about the OL's performance last year. Goff couldn't even do a 3 step drop back without hands in his face. Gurley fighting a defensive player for a handoff. Offense never even trying a run up the middle. Why? because Fisher kept starting Tim Barnes at center Why he didn't look elsewhere to find a better c is beyond me.

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Now we just need to improve the quality of our O-Line depth, and Plan for the Future!! JMHO!

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
For the immediate future I'd like to see them bring back Sullivan. And yes, they do need to invest for the future there. But they don't need to use their top pick. Find someone in the mid rounds who they can groom behind the vets for a year or two.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Just diving in on this upcoming 2018 season.... this OL is in very good condition. The only big question mark currently is @ center. Not having Sullivan back would be a good size loss here. However Kromer's has 3 youngins having undergone the Kromertizing process in 2017.

The two top replacements in line to replace Sullivan are Austin Blythe entering 3 season & Aaron Nearly enter his 2nd season. Both had starts for the Rams in 2017.The other area of concern lurks @ OT back ups...there are none on this roster:eek:.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
https://www.dailynews.com/2018/02/18/los-angeles-rams-offseason-analysis-offensive-linemen/

Los Angeles Rams offseason analysis: Offensive linemen
By RICH HAMMOND

1115_spo_ldn-l-whitworth-hg10.jpg

Photo by Hans Gutknecht, Los Angeles Daily News/SCNG

Some magic took place along the Rams’ offensive line in 2017. Sean McVay was named the NFL’s Coach of the Year, but line coach Aaron Kromer might have been the true wizard.

The Rams’ line, which struggled equally in run and pass blocking in 2016, was strong and consistent and, as a unit, perhaps was the most valuable of any on the team. Only a couple tweaks were made during the offseason, but a combination of skill and good luck helped the Rams.

Thanks to the line, running back Todd Gurley was named the league’s Offensive Player of the Year and quarterback Jared Goff enjoyed a bounce-back sophomore season.

There are some issues for the Rams to address this season, mostly related to age. As part of an ongoing series, here’s an in-depth glance at the Rams’ situation on the offensive line:

2017 STARTERS: Left tackle Andrew Whitworth, left guard Rodger Saffold, center John Sullivan, right guard Jamon Brown, right tackle Rob Havenstein.

RESERVES: Darrell Williams, Austin Blythe, Cornelius Lucas.

PENDING FREE AGENTS: Sullivan, Lucas, Williams (restricted)

GRADING 2017
At the start of the season, this looked as though it could have been a disaster. The Rams imported Whitworth, at age 35, and Sullivan, who had a recent history of injuries. McVay insisted that Kromer, a veteran coach, thought he would be able to improve the group without more substantial changes.

That turned out to be an understatement. Whitworth proved to be a rock in a Pro Bowl-selection season, and was the biggest key to Goff’s improvement. Sullivan stayed healthy and not only excelled in run blocking but brought intelligence to an important position.

What few people saw coming was the improvement of Saffold, a veteran who, because of injuries and uncertainty during the previous coaching regime, had been moved all over the offensive line. Saffold found a home at left guard, did a phenomenal job and should have been a Pro Bowler.

Things looked dicey on the right side of the line in training camp, when Brown and Havenstein flipped positions. That didn’t seem to be a great statement of confidence by McVay and Kromer, but both linemen performed well. GRADE: A

ANALYZING 2018
Things couldn’t have gone much better for the Rams in 2017, but that’s kind of the rub. The entire season was a best-case scenario, with a group of veterans that sustained zero significant injuries.

Can the Rams really count on that again in 2018? Whitworth is 36 and, by the start of the season, Saffold will have turned 30. The Rams must make a decision whether to re-sign Sullivan, who turns 33 in August.

The Rams would be wise to add to their depth and start to plan for the future. Blythe played well in a backup role in 2017 and could be a long-term option at center or guard, but the Rams need to identify and develop Whitworth’s eventual replacement. It probably won’t be Williams, who has been a capable backup but wouldn’t seem to be left-tackle material in the NFL.

It might seem counterintuitive for the Rams to draft linemen, when that position performed so well in 2017 and when there are other, more immediate areas of need, but the Rams have to keep one eye on the future and also be mindful of the injuries they avoided last season. LEVEL OF NEED: MEDIUM

fearsomefour

Legend
I would put the depth inside as Blythe at G and Neary at C.
Blythe was solid when he played at G or C, Neary looked solid at C vs the Whiners. His pass was good over all, what he lacked is what most Cs lack....push in the run game.
Will be interesting to see how it develops.
T? Who knows?
I would expect a late round pick, some UDFA additions and maybe a lost cost FA.
Brown and Havenstein are both UFA next year.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Keep the same guys, add depth. Simple as that for this group!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Keep the same guys, add depth. Simple as that for this group!

I would not keep Williams, I would let him go and draft the heir apparent at LT....Tyrell Crosby Oregon might be the one and I also concur with @bubbaramfan I would keep Cornelius Lucas as he showed some promise at RT.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Blythe was solid when he played at G or C, Neary looked solid at C vs the Whiners. His pass was good over all, what he lacked is what most Cs lack....push in the run game.
T? Who knows?
You forgot Rodger Saffold will join Brown & Havenstein UFA'ville. Look to see drafted OT's & a UFA veteran OL added.

fearsomefour

Legend
You forgot Rodger Saffold will join Brown & Havenstein UFA'ville. Look to see drafted OT's & a UFA veteran OL added.
I would assume either Brown or Havenstein would be gone. I assume Brown of their level of play stays the same.
The Rams have too many needs for the draft pics they have.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
T? Who knows?

All that shows is Sullivan could be gone. Kromer is adding value to the cap ?

Which player starts ? I’d say Blythe starts & Neary is the back up in case of injury at guard. Then Blythe would move to guard as Neary to Center.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I would assume either Brown or Havenstein would be gone. I assume Brown of their level of play stays the same.
The Rams have too many needs for the draft pics they have.

You have to know there is going to be added competition. At what extreme ? The scouts (Kromers) have there eyes on a few options. Weather Williams is apart of the line will be determined soon enough.
I expect the the offensive line to be better in 2018 !! The Rams have to look ahead to 2019 as well though.

fearsomefour

Legend
All that shows is Sullivan could be gone. Kromer is adding value to the cap ?

Which player starts ? I’d say Blythe starts & Neary is the back up in case of injury at guard. Then Blythe would move to guard as Neary to Center.
Depends.
Blythe would be ahead of for both spots last year. Neary was solid at C vs SF. It would probably come down to line calls etc. in terms of C.
Having a little depth does not make the starter expendable. I think Sullivan stays as either Blythe or Neary would be a downgrade (particularly when you consider line calls etc) at this point.

fearsomefour

Legend
You have to know there is going to be added competition. At what extreme ? The scouts (Kromers) have there eyes on a few options. Weather Williams is apart of the line will be determined soon enough.
I expect the the offensive line to be better in 2018 !! The Rams have to look ahead to 2019 as well though.
The likelihood the Rams experience another year of health like the line didnin 2018 is unlikely.
I would work on extending Havenstein now.
Brown was the weakest link on the line last year, although, he was massively improved and the team would be fine with him starting going forward. A T is harder to find and costs more money to replace. Resign Sullivan for 2 years and sign Havenstein now. Gives the Rams time to get deals done and or find replacements at both G spots.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Depends.
Blythe would be ahead of for both spots last year. Neary was solid at C vs SF. It would probably come down to line calls etc. in terms of C.
Having a little depth does not make the starter expendable. I think Sullivan stays as either Blythe or Neary would be a downgrade (particularly when you consider line calls etc) at this point.

Well if The Rams sign Sullivan then Neary most likely will get cut ,or another year in practice squad ? Imo

Then again The majority of Rams player that get cut will get claimed off waivers , because the depth will be that much better.

-Yes the fact is McVay playing all the 2nd starters against the Niners gives the team more experience. They also have game film with the lights on.It also have them a chance to see who might not make it further.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The likelihood the Rams experience another year of health like the line didnin 2018 is unlikely.
I would work on extending Havenstein now.
Brown was the weakest link on the line last year, although, he was massively improved and the team would be fine with him starting going forward. A T is harder to find and costs more money to replace. Resign Sullivan for 2 years and sign Havenstein now. Gives the Rams time to get deals done and or find replacements at both G spots.

I think Reggie does an excellent job at keeping players healthy in general. Have the veteran day off saves the wear & tear
For the most part.

I think Kromer using his foundation & techniques also play apart. To add McVay & Kromer now the run coordinator have a good understanding of players health & what they ask of them.

Maybe I’m talking out my azz ? I do believe there is something to be said about there coaching style.

—I’m not totally sold on Big Rob ? He can play guard as well , so he might be a good swing guy.
If The Rams could get a solid LT in the draft that could play RT might be an excellent fit .
Even moving Whitworth to the RT if there is a starting LT on the draft board at 23 ? I think Whitworth came up as a RT ? He played a little in the Pro Bowl. Someone said not that well , but the times I watch he looked good ?
The could wait to do that next year as well.

I think you have to get to OTA’s & through the draft in order to lock some guys up to longer contracts.

It’s all a process. I’m just glad the combine was not this week. I like to record it for a few weeks to go back on reference. As FA goes the draft needs & wants changes.

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
Well if The Rams sign Sullivan then Neary most likely will get cut ,or another year in practice squad ? Imo

Then again The majority of Rams player that get cut will get claimed off waivers , because the depth will be that much better.

-Yes the fact is McVay playing all the 2nd starters against the Niners gives the team more experience. They also have game film with the lights on.It also have them a chance to see who might not make it further.
Whitworth, Saffold, Sullivan, Brown, Havenstein, Blythe, Neary, Lucas, back up LT.
Keeping 9 is very possible. Won't dress 9 week to week but keeping 9 on the 53 man roster is very doable.