Rams part with 4 scouts, 3 weeks before draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Zero

Pro Bowler
Rams part with 4 scouts, 3 weeks before draft
Posted by Michael Gehlken on April 9, 2017

135247317-e1491776459810.jpg
Getty Images

NFL personnel department changes are fairly common in the spring, mainly because the scouting calendar does not end in the regular season as it does with coaches but instead continues through the draft.

That’s why the Rams’ moves are somewhat unusual.

With the draft less than three weeks away, Los Angeles has parted with four scouts. Those dismissed reportedly are director of pro personnel Ran Carthon and three area scouts: Evan Ardoin, Danton Barto and Sean Gustus.

Jason LaCanfora of CBS first reported Sunday that Carthon was among the dismissals. On Saturday, Neil Stratton of Inside The League first reported that four Rams scouts were let go, following it with Sunday’s full list.

Much of a club’s legwork for the draft now is already done. Pro days are over. Draft boards are all but set.

Moving on from these scouts now may assist their job search, although most jobs elsewhere won’t become officially available until May.

Carthon was the Rams’ director of pro personnel the past five seasons. The ex-Florida running back also worked with Rams GM Les Snead for five years as a Falcons scout.

Ardoin spent eight seasons with the Rams. Barto, a former Arena Football League head coach, and Gustus spent four and five years with the club, respectively.

The timing of the Rams’ decision is far from unprecedented.

The Browns dismissed six scouts at about this same time last year.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/09/rams-part-with-4-scouts-3-weeks-before-draft/

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Saw this, not a shock to see a change there to go in Snead's desired direction. All the scouting reports are in these guys aren't going to do much other than pound the table for their guys.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
They probably already had their office cleaned out weeks ago

Rams43

Hall of Fame
We're these the scouts pushing for Quick, GRob, and Tavon?

Just kidding.

Sorta...

Ram65

Legend
Who makes the changes? Could be McVay or other coaches have some favorites. Like the articles says the leg work has been done. The Rams organization seems to be in better order all around.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
much ado bout nothing, IMHO. New gegimes typically will bring in their own guys.. .. or re-assign them.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Who makes the changes?

Demoff makes the changes not sure what will happen with Snead again him and McVay seem to have a good rapport, but maybe McVay needed to get his foundation and then get the guy he truly wants to oversee personnel. Who knows at this point, but I would recommend @jrry32 , @OldSchool , @jakebogen95 & @BonifayRam for the 4 job openings.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Demoff makes the changes not sure what will happen with Snead again him and McVay seem to have a good rapport, but maybe McVay needed to get his foundation and then get the guy he truly wants to oversee personnel. Who knows at this point, but I would recommend @jrry32 , @OldSchool , @jakebogen95 & @BonifayRam for the 4 job openings.

I appreciate the mention haha, but I wouldn't want the job. I'd want to do something more similar to what Demoff does.(contracts, cap, administration/logistics, and occasional scouting) (y)

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I appreciate the mention haha, but I wouldn't want the job. I'd want to do something more similar to what Demoff does.(contracts, cap, administration/logistics, and occasional scouting) (y)

I just thought it would get you in the door remember how Demoff started.;)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
We're these the scouts pushing for Quick, GRob, and Tavon?

Just kidding.

Sorta...

I'm sure Les went back and graded out all his scouts this past offseason after he got his stay of execution. I know I would. Nobody's perfect in scouting, granted, but I'm guessing those guys probably had multiple grades that didn't translate well, maybe personality clashes or they jumped on the table for the wrong guys lol, who knows.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Makes sense...mistakes were made by the coaching staff AND the personnel dept. Lets get this thing rollin!

For those who were let go, i hope they land on their feet and find a place where they're successful.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I am sure a guy in Demoff's position is paid well above a Scott's pay grade. Plus it would be using some of your lawyerly skills as opposed to living on the road, making 65,000.00 a year. So, yeah. Good choice.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I am sure it isn't the case but if you hire 4 new now don't you get to add their info to the already acquired info.
Sounds like a way to cheat the system and double up on intel

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I am sure it isn't the case but if you hire 4 new now don't you get to add their info to the already acquired info.
Sounds like a way to cheat the system and double up on intel

Normally a clause in there firing is a severance pay that they can't take a job until the draft is completed.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Gotta say I'd be worried they let some info slide about the Rams' draft board. Hope they weren't privy to too much of it.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
My only issue is the comparison to the Browns.
I am ready for this team to get to a place where they never have things in common with the Browns...

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Gotta say I'd be worried they let some info slide about the Rams' draft board. Hope they weren't privy to too much of it.

Looks like the scouts were more on the pro (NFL) side of scouting. Not a good track record. The coaching staff knew what they were looking for.

You could do smock now &'there would be all kinds of changes . Tomorrow is the first day. Today is of players with coaches at all. Not sure how that works exactly.

Anyway -The Adams need new faces. They done a great job of change. Different mind set now.