Rams part ways with 5 coaches, including Jeff Garcia

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Fisher fires 5 assistants, sets up interview with OC candidate
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_1282d86b-e876-5e7b-bbaf-cf02bcd28ea9.html

Jeff Fisher usually doesn’t rush into coaching staff decisions. He lets the dust settle on the season, steps back, and evaluates. Not this year.

The Rams coach hinted late last week about possible coaching staff changes following the 2015 season, and didn’t wait long to make changes.

The team announced Wednesday it will not renew the contracts of five assistant coaches: Assistant strength and conditioning coach Adam Bailey, assistant special teams coach Paul F. Boudreau, offensive assistant Jeff Garcia, wide receivers coach Ray Sherman and running backs coach Ben Sirmans.

Boudreau is the son of Rams veteran offensive line coach Paul Boudreau, who remains with the club.

“We appreciate all of the hard work and dedication each of our coaches have given to the organization,” Fisher said in a statement. “We wish them well in their future endeavors.”

In terms of sheer volume, it represents the most sweeping offseason changes for Fisher as Rams head coach. Paul F. Boudreau, Sherman, and Sirmans were part of Fisher’s original Rams staff in 2012, and Fisher has a reputation of being very loyal to his assistants — some would say too loyal.

Bailey actually predated Fisher’s arrival, working for Steve Spagnulo’s staff in 2011, and also on a volunteer basis in 2010.

Garcia, the former Pro Bowl quarterback, was hired this past offseason and helped Sherman with the wide receivers.

Easily the most tenured assistant among those not retained was Sherman, who began his coaching career in 1988 with the Houston Oilers. Over the years, he has worked with the likes of Jerry Rice, Terrell Owens, Donald Driver and Robert Ferguson as a receivers coach, and with Warren Moon as a quarterbacks coach.

Sherman, 64, also has had stints with three teams over the years as an offensive coordinator. He has known Fisher for years, having previously worked for Fisher’s Tennessee Titans in 2005-06 as wide receivers coach.

In a phone interview with the Post-Dispatch on Wednesday night, Sherman says he leaves the Rams with no hard feelings.

“I’ve been doing this a long time,” Sherman said. “I’ve coached a lot of great players. Coached some nice young talent there (with the Rams). Whoever gets them is gonna have a great group.

“The thing is, the way we were on offense this year, it’s the head coach’s job to fix it the best way he can. I understand. Jeff didn’t even have to say anything.

“I said, ‘Coach, I got it. Don’t worry about it.’”

The Rams finished 32nd in total offense, 32nd in passing offense, and 29th in points scored this season.

“I understand this business,” Sherman said. “I’ve been doing it a long time. Sometimes people have to move on and other people have to come in. I get it. I’m OK, and I just want to make that clear.’

“So I love him. Jeff is a great coach. He’s a great guy. There’s no bitter feelings. We’re still friends, and we always will be friends. I don’t want any bashing of him or his decision. We laughed, we hugged, and — shoot — we’re good.”

Sherman said he already has received some phone calls about continuing in coaching.

“I’ll have some options,” he said. “I want to decide if I want to continue to coach, or if I’m gonna shut it down.”

With three of the departed coaches working with either wide receivers or running backs, it’s clear that Fisher wants to shore up the offense any way he can.

Another indication that that’s the case is the Rams’ interest in John DeFilippo as a potential offensive coordinator. The Post-Dispatch confirmed Tuesday night that the Rams had requested permission to interview DeFilippo, who was offensive coordinator this season in Cleveland for the now-fired Browns head coach Mike Pettine.

On Wednesday, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reported that DeFilippo was scheduled to interview with the Rams this coming Monday.

At his season wrap-up press conference, Fisher praised the work of Rob Boras, who replaced the fired Frank Cignetti as offensive coordinator over the final four games of the Rams’ season. But Fisher also indicated he might look at other options for the position.

DeFilippo, 37, is a native of Youngstown, Ohio, who played quarterback at James Madison University. Beginning in 2005 as an offensive assistant with the New York Giants, he also has worked in Oakland (in two stints) and with the New York Jets — mainly as a quarterbacks coach — before coming to Cleveland in 2014.

In between that run of NFL jobs, DeFilippo spent the 2010 and ’11 seasons in the college ranks at San Jose State, where he coached quarterbacks and was offensive coordinator. His only NFL experience as a coordinator was this past season with the Browns.

But DeFilippo, known by the nickname “Flip,” received generally good reviews for his work with less-than-stellar talent in Cleveland. Slowed by injuries, veteran Josh McCown finished with the second-highest passer rating of his career (93.3) this season. And despite his off-field issues, Johnny Manziel’s play improved noticeably over his rookie season.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
While at San Jose St. DeFillipo had a hand in recruiting my boy David Fales in 2011.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I really don't see the need for most of the specialized position coaches...Not sure what they accomplish...Garcia and Weinke in particular had me vexed...What the hell credentials did/does Garcia have to coach/consult (or whatever the hell he really does) WRs ??? Other than being a scrappy high motor QB, he brought nothing to the table as a coach to the best of my knowledge..

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I don't agree with some that are bagging on Boudreau the OL coach. #1, he wasn't given a ton of talent to work with when he came here. #2, OL plays best as a UNIT, and yet for the past few seasons it seems like he is always forced to play musical chairs in the middle of the season due to injuries. Guys like Saffold, Long, Well, etc. in and out of the line up (more out than in). This year, it's no coincidence that our OL was at its worst in midseason when guys were dropping like flies and we were shifting lineups every week. But for the final five weeks, we had a stable lineup and the OL play improved. Havenstein, a rookie, gave up not a single sack this year. Wichman was improving weekly. Barnes was taken off the scrap heap, and while he's no all-pro, he was actually a serviceable center, especially when he started having the same two guys line up next to him for multiple consecutive weeks. And even GRob, everyone's favorite whipping boy, was playing better toward the end of the season.

I don't think Boudreau is the problem. Injuries are the number one problem, and I don't think the number two problem is even close. We have a promising group of guys going forward thanks to last year's draft, and Wichman, Brown, and Havenstein all showed signs of being developed nicely. Barnes was brought up to the point to where, at worst, he was not a liability. GRob has been slow to develop but we knew he was raw and there were signs of the light coming on for him toward the end of the year. And prior to that, a nobody like Barksdale was made into at least a competent OT, if nothing spectacular.

Daryl Richardson, but I got what you meant. And no, it's not just you, I was thinking the same thing after Mason's underwhelming performance in the finale. Probably one reason the RB coach was let go, because it is just stunning how the three guys you mentioned just seemed to forget how to play football in their sophomore seasons. Hopefully, Gurley can avoid that fate, but given his talent level, I think he's someone who could thrive with Urkel as his position coach.

If injuries are the reason his unit has mostly underperformed, and if he gets a pass for this reason, doesn't Fisher deserve the same?

I agree that Beaudreau hasn't had much to work with. The guys that have played well on our line came in fairly developed. My biggest problem with Sherman and Beaudreau is the amount of time it takes for players to develop and the fact that neither have been able to develop late round or udfa's into key contributors.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Fisher saving his job by firing these coaches he should be leading the way out the door.

I disagree. He knows the offense needs to be fixed and is trying to lure a better OC by giving him room to pick his assistants. I am fine with it.

More scapegoats. I wish we would take care of the real problem. Fisher.

Who do you bring in? How many of our large number of free agents actually decides that leaving sounds better with the turnover? Fisher has one more year. I say let him ride it out and then decide. I really think that with the right OC things would be fine. Heck earlier this season the Rams were considered playoff bound. They are close.

I don't know, it's got a Todd Hewitt kinda feeling IMO.
Hoping that @Mojo Ram is right in assuming this paves the way for a big time OC to name his staff

Todd Hewitt was a leak. He had to go. He was not loyal to the team. If you think Sherman didn't deserve to be let go, then I am speechless. The Rams receivers have not developed at all. And Garcia? What exactly was he brought in for? His drive and winning attitude to rub off on the team? I like the moves. Fisher could not attract a good OC last year and he is doing what he can to make this one year trial more attractive by allowing a guy to bring in his own coaches. It should have been done last year.

I had been saying sherm should be fired for 3 years, not loud but the lack of production, and the appearance of confusion was startling....after that first year thing with Quick...and all the lack of route/coverage recognition/abilities by most of the wideouts....Hell....I just assumed since Bruce was backing him he knew what the hell he was doing...

Garcia gets a tough break...he's a QB...a QB coach....and he's being asked to work with the wrs...

too many chefs in this kitchen anyway...

Wonder how did Weinke save his job? Keenum?

Does Foles feel bad?

Me too. Sherman has not produced.

I really don't see the need for most of the specialized position coaches...Not sure what they accomplish...Garcia and Weinke in particular had me vexed...What the hell credentials did/does Garcia have to coach/consult (or whatever the hell he really does) WRs ??? Other than being a scrappy high motor QB, he brought nothing to the table as a coach to the best of my knowledge..

I think being a scrappy high motor guy is why he was hired. I think Fisher just wanted his influence around the team and hoped it rubbed off.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, if zero changes were made it'd have that feel that the Rams are oblivious and content to sit on their hands.
It's encouraging to me that changes are being made. I mean, besides Weinke and Garcia coming in a year ago haven't all of the position coaches pretty much remained static through Shotty, Cignetti and Boras as OC's?

It's quite possible that some of the problems with guys like Sherman and the other coaches haven't become apparent until Fisher got a new pair of eyes and ears reporting to him directly(Rob Boras). Speculation of course.

Then again i'm reading a lot of stuff from fans who'd rather just call these firings scapegoat moves because all they really want is Fisher shitcanned. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Same mentality when Foles was stinking it up.
"Bench his ass Fisher!"
[Fisher benches him]
"Geez Fisher what took you so long? Why didn't you start Keenum from day one?"

Silly.
I hear what you're saying, but I'm clearly not one of "those guys". Fisher is our coach and I'll support him.
In the grand scheme, there was no collateral damage here.
The offense needs an overhaul and if the end result is what you suggested, then its great. To me, and despite having my support, it just comes off hollow. If Fisher was courting an OC that carried clout, I dont see where Fisher couldnt tell him that he could keep who he wants, and replace who he wants. Dont see how firing them now makes the next move any more or less attractive.
Sherman was expected to turn shidt in to shanola. Not sure he did a good or bad job. I know this much, it sure is easier to be a WR coach when you have an Odell Beckam, Julio Jones or Calvin Johnson.

So I'll look forward to you being right, just expressing it doesnt sit well with me

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Pretty smart moves, I'd think. Let's see who ends up as our OC in 2016. I will echo others in wondering if the Paul F./Paul T. thing ends up being like Williams and Lil' Williams from a couple years ago.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
One more thing...I hope...MAN I hope...He lets the NEW OC, PICK A QB, HIS TYPE of QB, and some WRs in THIS draft....

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
I disagree. He knows the offense needs to be fixed and is trying to lure a better OC by giving him room to pick his assistants. I am fine with it.

Who do you bring in? How many of our large number of free agents actually decides that leaving sounds better with the turnover? Fisher has one more year. I say let him ride it out and then decide. I really think that with the right OC things would be fine. Heck earlier this season the Rams were considered playoff bound. They are close.

Todd Hewitt was a leak. He had to go. He was not loyal to the team. If you think Sherman didn't deserve to be let go, then I am speechless. The Rams receivers have not developed at all. And Garcia? What exactly was he brought in for? His drive and winning attitude to rub off on the team? I like the moves. Fisher could not attract a good OC last year and he is doing what he can to make this one year trial more attractive by allowing a guy to bring in his own coaches. It should have been done last year.

Me too. Sherman has not produced.

I think being a scrappy high motor guy is why he was hired. I think Fisher just wanted his influence around the team and hoped it rubbed off.[/QUOTE
The offence can't be fixed so long as Fisher is still the head coach.He has no killer instinct he's to conservative and other teams know this already. He singlehandedly lost more than 1 game for us with his conservative approach.

jap

Legend
One more thing...I hope...MAN I hope...He lets the NEW OC, PICK A QB, HIS TYPE of QB, and some WRs in THIS draft....

There isn't much point in selecting as new OC, bringng him into a team with a troubled QB unit, and then handcuffing him with respect to input on QB choices. This appears to be Fish facing up to his offensive short comings. He is solid on defense and special teams. Establishing a dynamic offensive unit will really shove this team over the top.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Good to see Fish moving quickly to get ahead of things this offseason. Getting these moves made before the search for OC gets a full head of steam might help bring in a top tier guy. I'm not enamored with the idea of sifting through the Browns trash heap but I trust Fisher to his due diligence and make a good hire.

psxpaul

Rookie
Name
Paul

Aren't coaches criticized for making this same type of excuse? And 4.8ypc -> 3.8ypc is still a massive dropoff.

psxpaul

Rookie
Name
Paul

Even if you take out Mason's long run, 3.8ypc -> 2.8ypc is a big difference, so I'm not sure what your point is.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Anyone else think that they fired both WR coaches because they just figured they don't need one?

They don't plan on throwing the ball at all next year!