Rams part ways with 5 coaches, including Jeff Garcia

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

psxpaul

Rookie
Name
Paul
Is it just me, or have the Rams had a lot of RBs look great as rookies, only to regress big time in their sophomore years?
Trent Richardson
Zac Stacy
Tre Mason
All three of those guys looked like they could develop into a starter, only to disappear the following season.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I've been wondering about the WR coaching for years. Maybe we'll see some improvement now.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Is it just me, or have the Rams had a lot of RBs look great as rookies, only to regress big time in their sophomore years?
Trent Richardson
Zac Stacy
Tre Mason
All three of those guys looked like they could develop into a starter, only to disappear the following season.

It's Darryl Richardson. And they were all replaced virtually right away. So it's hard to say they regressed. Mason took over right away from Stacy pretty much and Gurley did the same to Mason. Mason still has skill.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Trent Richardson
Zac Stacy
Tre Mason

(Think you mean Daryl), but yes, it's just you. Comparing Stacy and Mason to Gurley's kinda like comparing Cook to Gronkowski.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know, it's got a Todd Hewitt kinda feeling IMO.
Hoping that @Mojo Ram is right in assuming this paves the way for a big time OC to name his staff

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I like this approach and i said so about 2 weeks ago.

http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads...nd-you-get-one-more-season.42083/#post-685248

This is encouraging.

Me too

[QUOTE ] Give me a good OC, get a new Oline coach because Paul Beaudreau hasn't been very good (cmon, he has been given a pass for too long) and get rid of Sherman for a better WR coach... just an all new offensive staff... [/QUOTE]

A week earlier :sneaky:

In all seriousness, this is pretty much what I was hoping for. Just a legitimate acknowledgement that our offensive staff was not getting it done and significant changes are needed.

psxpaul

Rookie
Name
Paul
(Think you mean Daryl), but yes, it's just you. Comparing Stacy and Mason to Gurley's kinda like comparing Cook to Gronkowski.

You're right, I was thinking of Daryl Richardson. I didn't mention Gurley though, so no such comparison was made. BTW, Mason had a huge dropoff this year, going from 4.3ypc to 2.8ypc. Richardson went from 4.8 to 3.1, while Stacy stayed even at 3.9 (but yards dropped from 973 to 293). Numbers don't always tell the whole tale, but to me, they all looked like they regressed on the field. I guess the argument could be made that all 3 were banged up the following year.

Alan

Legend
What's the thinking on this? It's the assistants faults? HUGE shakeup! :LOL:
Maybe that's just the tip of the iceberg?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I had been saying sherm should be fired for 3 years, not loud but the lack of production, and the appearance of confusion was startling....after that first year thing with Quick...and all the lack of route/coverage recognition/abilities by most of the wideouts....Hell....I just assumed since Bruce was backing him he knew what the hell he was doing...

Garcia gets a tough break...he's a QB...a QB coach....and he's being asked to work with the wrs...

too many chefs in this kitchen anyway...

Wonder how did Weinke save his job? Keenum?

Does Foles feel bad?

Ram65

Legend
This should give way for a new OC that can pick his main coaches at RB and WR. Got to give Weinke more time and talent. Speaking of talent the Rams could use some more of that too. Rams management knows they got to move quickly to get who they want. Hope they get it right. A little more offense can go a long way with this defense.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Did they SHOW the DOOH to the wrong BOUDREAU?

I don't agree with some that are bagging on Boudreau the OL coach. #1, he wasn't given a ton of talent to work with when he came here. #2, OL plays best as a UNIT, and yet for the past few seasons it seems like he is always forced to play musical chairs in the middle of the season due to injuries. Guys like Saffold, Long, Well, etc. in and out of the line up (more out than in). This year, it's no coincidence that our OL was at its worst in midseason when guys were dropping like flies and we were shifting lineups every week. But for the final five weeks, we had a stable lineup and the OL play improved. Havenstein, a rookie, gave up not a single sack this year. Wichman was improving weekly. Barnes was taken off the scrap heap, and while he's no all-pro, he was actually a serviceable center, especially when he started having the same two guys line up next to him for multiple consecutive weeks. And even GRob, everyone's favorite whipping boy, was playing better toward the end of the season.

I don't think Boudreau is the problem. Injuries are the number one problem, and I don't think the number two problem is even close. We have a promising group of guys going forward thanks to last year's draft, and Wichman, Brown, and Havenstein all showed signs of being developed nicely. Barnes was brought up to the point to where, at worst, he was not a liability. GRob has been slow to develop but we knew he was raw and there were signs of the light coming on for him toward the end of the year. And prior to that, a nobody like Barksdale was made into at least a competent OT, if nothing spectacular.

Trent Richardson
Zac Stacy
Tre Mason

Daryl Richardson, but I got what you meant. And no, it's not just you, I was thinking the same thing after Mason's underwhelming performance in the finale. Probably one reason the RB coach was let go, because it is just stunning how the three guys you mentioned just seemed to forget how to play football in their sophomore seasons. Hopefully, Gurley can avoid that fate, but given his talent level, I think he's someone who could thrive with Urkel as his position coach.

wmc540

Pro Bowler
Wow, sounds like the new OC is going to be able to make his own hires. This is great news as far as the autonomy Fisher is willing to give up. Wonder if this is conditional with him keeping his job?

Also interesting letting Boudreau Jr. go while keeping Boudreau Sr. Any bad blood gonna come out of that?

Does Gregg miss Blake?

WestCoastRam

Legend
I can't think of a WR that Sherman developed for another team. He was the most underwhelming of the offensive hires when Fish came in.

jap

Legend
So what I hope happens here is that Fisher realizes that his ground and pound offense has to be updated. And with that being said it may be time to bring in a new coaching staff that can get results from the guys we have and the Rams jump into the 21st century passing game on Offense. lol

The unraveling of Nick Foles, the early OL injuries and the scarcity of long scoring drives had to hurt Fish very hard. I am sure he knew he would have had a serious playoff team and potential division champion if the QB & OL units and offensive coaching were solid.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I don't know, it's got a Todd Hewitt kinda feeling IMO.
Hoping that @Mojo Ram is right in assuming this paves the way for a big time OC to name his staff
Well, if zero changes were made it'd have that feel that the Rams are oblivious and content to sit on their hands.
It's encouraging to me that changes are being made. I mean, besides Weinke and Garcia coming in a year ago haven't all of the position coaches pretty much remained static through Shotty, Cignetti and Boras as OC's?

It's quite possible that some of the problems with guys like Sherman and the other coaches haven't become apparent until Fisher got a new pair of eyes and ears reporting to him directly(Rob Boras). Speculation of course.

Then again i'm reading a lot of stuff from fans who'd rather just call these firings scapegoat moves because all they really want is Fisher shitcanned. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Same mentality when Foles was stinking it up.
"Bench his ass Fisher!"
[Fisher benches him]
"Geez Fisher what took you so long? Why didn't you start Keenum from day one?"

Silly.