Rams offensive linemen know they have to help

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Rams offensive linemen know they have to help Jared Goff in his NFL debut on Sunday against Dolphins

By: Mike DiGiovannaContact Reporter

How Rams quarterback Jared Goff fares in his NFL debut against the Miami Dolphins on Sunday could hinge more on the play of the linemen in front of him than the golden arm of the former California standout and No. 1 draft pick.

“Knowing he’s a young quarterback, they’ll probably blitz us a little bit more to try to get him out of rhythm,” left guard Rodger Saffold said. “They’ll hide coverages more, change his reads on the snap.
Inconsistent play along the line has prevented the Rams from running or passing the ball with any kind of consistency; they’ve scored two offensive touchdowns in three games, and they rank last in the league in points, 31st in total yards, 29th in rushing yards and 25th in passing yards per game.

“We weren’t performing offensively, and a lot of that comes down to how we’ve been playing as an offensive line,” right tackle Rob Havenstein said. “I think a lot of us guys take a lot of it personally, so we’ve been working on it. We’re going to get it right.”

Defensive tackle Michael Brockers expects the Dolphins to do some of the same things the Rams did to rattle New York Jets quarterback Bryce Petty in Sunday’s 9-6 victory in MetLife Stadium. Petty, making his first NFL start, completed 19 of 32 passes for 163 yards, with one touchdown and a key fourth-quarter interception.

“They’ll do what most defenses do — they’ll switch up their coverages, kind of disguise things, bring unique blitzes, stuff the young guy isn’t used to seeing,” Brockers said. “What we have to do to counter that is to block these guys up, make sure we have max protection and let him show that arm that got him paid.”

There is an air of curiosity surrounding the rookie quarterback, and not just among the fans who chanted “We want Goff!” during the Nov. 6 game against Carolina in the Coliseum. Goff has practiced with the Rams for almost four months but has not taken a snap in a regular-season game.

“I’m really not sure,” tight end Lance Kendricks said, when asked what Goff could do differently than Keenum. “We’re just gonna run our offense regardless of the quarterback. Hopefully he does take some shots downfield. We need those big receivers to catch some balls downfield.”

The Rams are also curious to see how Goff responds to pressure.

“The biggest thing is being able to command the offense in times of adversity,” Saffold said. “That’s one of the toughest jobs you can have. Is he gonna be able to stand in there and throw the ball when he gets hit? We don’t expect him to be perfect. He’s gonna have some growing pains here and there.”

Brockers said he has seen growth in Goff since training camp, from the way the quarterback has learned the playbook to the way he is commanding the huddle. Goff, he said, is calling plays with more confidence and clarity.

“He’s grown up a lot,” Brockers said. “And his passes look good. It’s practice, so everything looks sweet.”

An injection of youth at quarterback, along with a strong arm and a playmaking ability that warranted a four-year, $27.9-million contract, could be the spark the Rams (4-5) need to make a playoff push.

“He’s young, and I think that gives him the ability to go out there and play free,” Brockers said. “At this point, he’s at the reins, so I just say, ‘Let it go, don’t be afraid to do what you did to get drafted. You’re a playmaker, let’s go see.’ ”

Keenum is scheduled to meet with reporters on Wednesday. Fisher praised the quarterback for his “leadership, his enthusiasm, his commitment and everything,” and said Keenum would remain one of the team’s captains despite his demotion. This came as no surprise to the Rams.

“He wasn’t just our quarterback; he was one of the leaders of our team and still is,” receiver Tavon Austin said. “We’re still going to answer to him. We still respect him, even though he isn’t starting.

“I just wish I could have done some more things to help Case be the starting quarterback he should be — we all could have helped him more. But you know, that’s how this game goes. That’s the business we live in. Jared Goff is up now.”

http://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/la-sp-rams-keenum-goff-20161115-story.html

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I really hope our O-Line comes to play this week, because it's going to be a battle with Miami's defensive front. If anything prove to themselves they can be a competitive group. Otherwise it might be a long debut for Goff. Time to show everyone it was worth the wait for Goff to start.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Welcome to the NFL Goff. This isn't preseason anymore the Dolphins are all in. Don't think for 1 second they're going soft on Goff, the OL is going to have their work cut out for them...I'm nervous. I hope he recognizes those blitzes.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Knowing and doing are two different things.

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
The Rams OL is the weakest link. Either Paul Boudreau lives by reputation or he is not good at coaching up the linemen.

We'll see how Ndamukong Suh, et al are bringing the heat and how well the Rams OL stands up to the challenge.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Goff's quick release will definitely give the O-line lots of help.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Goff's quick release will definitely give the O-line lots of help.

We'll see how oiled those throwing mechanics are. We're definitely going to need him to quick release that would be a huge plus. Obviously the routes will have to be in his favor at the time of play.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Crank up the Ghost Motion with Tavon to get Gurley more creases in the run game. With Britt and Quick playing so well outside it frees Tavon to help the run game IMO. Also, get Goff going on some Boot Action in the run game early. It will be there for Play Action passing later. Help the O line by scheming more creatively!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I really hope our O-Line comes to play this week, because it's going to be a battle with Miami's defensive front. If anything prove to themselves they can be a competitive group. Otherwise it might be a long debut for Goff. Time to show everyone it was worth the wait for Goff to start.
I think Goff practicing against our Rams "D" will help Jared a lot!;)

jap

Legend
Let it be written that on the 20th of November in the Year of our Lord 2016, Jared Thomas Goff officially flipped up the towel adorning C Tim Barnes nether regions to commence his NFL debut . . .

Jared sounds calm and ready in his interviews. However, will the butterflies be fluttering come game time at the Coliseum? The civilized chaos of the practice fields abruptly gives way to the exotic misdirections of NFL DC's, hell bent on confusing the thought processes of yet another franchise QB wanna-be. How much of an introduction to organized mayhem has Greg Williams baptized our would-be savior with thus far? Has it been enough to allow him to keep his head when live 'bullets' start flying?

As the remaining weeks dwindle on the 2016 regular season, we will finally begin seeing the full passing offense of of Mike Groh unveiled in all its glory through the mental machinations and golden arm growing pains of the Showtime! city's blue chip rookie. It is almost certainly too late for Jared to qualify for a bid for the third consecutive Rookie of the Year winner for our Horns. In fact, we will probably be treated to mostly asynchronous play as our blue chip baby takes his first steps upon the NFL stage. Sharing the backfield with Jared will be last year's Offensive Rookie of the Year winner, Todd Gurley, who has been experiencing a frustrating sophomore campaign. Ultimately, these two young franchise hopefuls need each other as they try to lead the salvation of this crazy season towards an improbable playoff berth.

It will be interesting to see who starts emerging as Jared's go-to receivers in crunch-time. The memories of the aerial heroics of Isaac Bruce, Torry Holt, Az-Zahirhir Hakim, Ricky Proehl, and Marshall Faulk will linger long in the minds of GSOT fans, who wouldn't mind seeing even a rough semblance of that magical era resurfacing in the remaining weeks. Hopefully, our TE's will become a bigger part of the offensive game plan, as Goff stands taller than the demoted Case, enough to clearly survey the middle of the field that Keenum rarely saw. It will probably take a while for our blue chipper to develop a consistent rhythm as he adjusts to the greater speed, quickness, strength, and sheer savvy-ness of the defenders at the pro level. The big passing windows at the collegiate level are so much narrower and close so much more quickly at the ultimate plateau. If Goff can even achieve sporadic success downfield, it may be enough to back the defenders up enough to release the Gurley Man enough times for our two-headed offensive coordinators, Groh and Rob Boras, to start gradually dictating a "Pick Your Poison" offensive scheme to increasingly hapless defenders.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
One thing that bothered me about Case the past few weeks was that it appeared he walked back, or ran up into sacks. One example of that last week was when he took a snap out of shotgun, then went back another 6 steps RIGHT into the RDE. Robinson cannot be blamed for that. If Case steps up he has a clean pocket.

That is where we all hope and expect Goff to be an improvement. Finding and moving within the pocket to find throwing lanes. That, coupled with his height and arm should open things up in for the offense in the long run. Also, for some reason, I think the offensive scheme will change more than they let on. I expect Boras to use Tavon more out of the backfield and in motion to help keep the defenses guessing and....hopefully buy more time for our young QB.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

One can only guess. From what I've seen is The teams progression is that much better. Jared Goff will be fine.
--Ask Tavon about knowing & doing. If he plays better like he said, Case Keenum is the starter still.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Very true counselor and I (along with many others) have not been pleased with the play upfront, albeit, last week against the Jets I thought they looked the best they have looked in a very long time against a very good defensive front.

OL Coach Paul Boudreau could be in trouble, they replaced everyone else on the offensive side so I will not be shocked if the QB and OL Coach are replaced next season, if the current regime stays in place.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

BTW - aren't you the poster calling for Fishers head, & to start Jared Goff ??

Now your having doubts ?? Doing is something Fisher wanted to see from Jared Goff. He want for when he was ready,or at least until he couldn't wait any longer.
--LA Ram fans over there history have been very vocal about playing a certain QB. They also love to Boo !!
If Goff plays worse than Keenum , you'll start hearing chants for Mannion. If Tavon Austin keeps dropping passes you'll hear chants for Spruuuuce.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Very true counselor and I (along with many others) have not been pleased with the play upfront, albeit, last week against the Jets I thought they looked the best they have looked in a very long time against a very good defensive front.

OL Coach Paul Boudreau could be in trouble, they replaced everyone else on the offensive side so I will not be shocked if the QB and OL Coach are replaced next season, if the current regime stays in place.

QB coach ???? Case was starting all season for a reason. It's not like he played bad. Score from the one yard line please. Gurley or any other RB should be able to score from there on 3 or 4 chances.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
BTW - aren't you the poster calling for Fishers head, & to start Jared Goff ??

Now your having doubts ?? Doing is something Fisher wanted to see from Jared Goff. He want for when he was ready,or at least until he couldn't wait any longer.
--LA Ram fans over there history have been very vocal about playing a certain QB. They also love to Boo !!
If Goff plays worse than Keenum , you'll start hearing chants for Mannion. If Tavon Austin keeps dropping passes you'll hear chants for Spruuuuce.

I think you missed the point. The OL knowing it needs to help and doing it aren't the same thing. I have concerns about the OL stepping up. I don't have any doubts about moving to Goff. It was the right move. I have doubts about the OL coming through for this team.

It's kind of hard for Fisher to ask for "doing" of Goff when he refused to play him. That's kind of a big part of doing; you have to actually be on the field to do it. I'm also not concerned about Mannion chants.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

He really has not done well with the O'line. -- Scary with Rhaney starting Sunday.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think you missed the point. The OL knowing it needs to help and doing it aren't the same thing. I have concerns about the OL stepping up. I don't have any doubts about moving to Goff. It was the right move. I have doubts about the OL coming through for this team.

It's kind of hard for Fisher to ask for "doing" of Goff when he refused to play him. That's kind of a big part of doing; you have to actually be on the field to do it. I'm also not concerned about Mannion chants.

I get it now .

I guess your trying to give Goff an out. Keenum played well under the offensive line as far as not getting sacked.
-- The preseason I think the O' line played a bigger part of Goff not starting right away. He took a couple big hits.
-- The offense as a whole is just messed up.Keenum on some timing plays put the ball right there,but some bad drops.Then he has his bad throws,because he does not have the best arm strength . The holds have hurt , but lack of run game is surprising.
-- Peete as RB coach ?? He turned the rookie of the year into what ?? Surprising Todd Gurley has not rushed for 100 yards in a game this season. In a run first offense.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Hopefully Suh doesn't take any cheap shots on our rookie (as he is prone to do).

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Think Jrry answered this...he's referring to the o-line...

Scary with Rhaney starting Sunday.
Where's this posted? Barnes is hurt?

I'm actually interested in how he plays. He's been here a while now...

Surprising Todd Gurley has not rushed for 100 yards in a game this season. In a run first offense.
Gurley has 1 game of rushing over 100 yards since Keenum took over as starting QB. ONE... Let that sink in...

Not really worried about O-Line and pass pro...I'm excited about how this loosens the box for Gurley....and extends the routes of Britt & Quick. I think the offense will finally get a boost.