Rams' offense should be better, but by how much?/ESPN

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams' offense should be better, but by how much?

upload_2017-6-22_10-48-0.png

Rams coach Sean McVay says his approach to the offense this winter was about "evaluating the pieces and then figuring out what's the best way to put it together." Jayne Kamin-Oncea/USA TODAY Sports

Alden Gonzalez

LOS ANGELES -- The optimist sees the 2017 Los Angeles Rams like this: Good on defense, good on special teams, and now it's just a matter of how quickly they can fix the offense.

Sean McVay, the rookie head coach who was brought in for that very task, isn't ready to set expectations.

"It sounds cliché -- I think the expectation is that we're just going to continue to try to get better every single day," McVay said last Thursday, the day after the conclusion of his offseason program. "I know this, in terms of the predictions, things like that, we don't really talk about it. But when you talk about the time, the effort that you put into each week, your expectation is to try to win that game."

The short answer: Nobody really knows how much better this unit can be with one offseason.

There's way too much ground to make up.

The Rams were dead last in the NFL in yards each of the past two years, but their struggles are even deeper and more pronounced than that. They have finished within the bottom 10 in yards per game each of the past 10 years. During that 10-year stretch, they didn't have a Pro Bowl quarterback and only had two 1,000-yard receivers -- Torry Holt in 2007 and Kenny Britt in 2016. Using its DVOA (defense-adjusted value over average) metric, Football Outsiders has the 2016 Rams as the fourth-worst offense in the past 30 years

McVay has since cleared the decks.

Only six of those expected to start the 2017 season were starters on offense during the stretch run last season. That includes quarterback Jared Goff, the No. 1 overall pick from 2016 who must be given a real chance; running back Todd Gurley, the Offensive Rookie of the Year in 2015; left guard Rodger Saffold, by far the Rams' best offensive lineman last season; receiver Tavon Austin, who might have a one-year tryout with this new coaching staff; and linemen Rob Havenstein and Jamon Brown, each transitioning to new positions on the right side.

At left tackle, the Rams swapped Greg Robinson for Andrew Whitworth. At center, Tim Barnes was replaced by John Sullivan. At receiver, Robert Woods and Cooper Kupp will essentially take the place of Britt and Brian Quick. At tight end, Tyler Higbee seems primed to absorb the targets that were once directed at Lance Kendricks.

"I don’t necessarily know if it was about kind of changing the structure of the entire offense," McVay said, "but more evaluating the pieces and then figuring out what's the best way to put it together."

Regardless, it will be a largely different group implementing an entirely different philosophy.

McVay was able to elevate quarterback Kirk Cousins while serving as the offensive coordinator and play-caller in Washington these past two seasons. He will call plays for the Rams, too, and has spoken constantly about being able to marry the run and the pass, something he wasn't really able to accomplish in his prior gig. It's even more important now because McVay wants to take a lot of the pressure off Goff, who's still only 22 years old.

The Rams' offense should be better, but it's impossible to know by how much.

"To say how our offense affects what we'll be able to do as a team, it's hard to say," McVay said. "And there's so many things that change from year to year. But I think when you look at what's been done in the past, we're optimistic that we're improving as a team."

[www.espn.com]

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Can't get any worse....and I rarely say that now. Too dangerous...cause it can always...literally...get worse.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Prediction: Jared Goff 2017 -(Att 600) - (Comp 402) - (Pct 67.0)- (4500 Yrds) -(27 TDs) - (interceptions-9 ) -
Todd Gurley 2017 - (Att 250) -(1400 Yrds) - (14 Tds) - (Rec 50) - (550 Yrds)

Ram65

Legend
He will call plays for the Rams, too, and has spoken constantly about being able to marry the run and the pass, something he wasn't really able to accomplish in his prior gig. It's even more important now because McVay wants to take a lot of the pressure off Goff, who's still only 22 years old.

I've said that getting the running game going is a must to take some pressure off Goff. I assume "being able to marry the run and pass" means a good balance without being predicable. Really glad McVay is aware that he didn't do this in Washington and will make the effort to do it with the Rams.

The Rams' offense should be better, but it's impossible to know by how much.

The Rams were dead last in the NFL in yards each of the past two years

I get carried away thinking the Rams will have a greatly improve offense with the new coaching staff and player changes. Last place in yards two years running will not be hard to improve on. I do think they have the talent to make a nice jump in yards and scoring. Going 32 to 24 would be a good start. They still have the a very good defense and special teams so they can win more with a modest offensive improvement.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Prediction: Jared Goff 2017 -(Att 600) - (Comp 402) - (Pct 67.0)- (4500 Yrds) -(27 TDs) - (interceptions-9 ) -
Holy cr@p! I was quickly scrolling down, thinking "I'm gonna make one hella bold prediction and blow peoples minds".....Then I read your post and said to self "Self, tell him to slow his ROLL!" lol

Naw...I believe last years offense was so horrific, but this year will be radically different inmho. I think we would all be excited if Goff threw for 4000 yards and 25 TD's and 16 Ints.....Gurley, 1200 yards, and Cooper Kupp, OROY (Yeah, I SAID IT!):rockon:

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Holy cr@p! I was quickly scrolling down, thinking "I'm gonna make one hella bold prediction and blow peoples minds".....Then I read your post and said to self "Self, tell him to slow his ROLL!" lol

Naw...I believe last years offense was so horrific, but this year will be radically different inmho. I think we would all be excited if Goff threw for 4000 yards and 25 TD's and 16 Ints.....Gurley, 1200 yards, and Cooper Kupp, OROY (Yeah, I SAID IT!):rockon:
Who is better? (offensive philosophy) Wunderkind genius Sean McVay vs mental midget Jeff Fisher

987ff87b4625ab141301c43227b80a7e.gif

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
tumblr_npwieqvP0R1saqvcqo1_500.gif

You're really gonna love this

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2017/quarterbacks-and-pressure-2016

It is time that we talked about Goff, a true Hollywood horror film. With or without pressure, his DVOA was the pits of 2016. Now the fact that he had the highest pressure rate of any quarterback since 2010 (40.4 percent) might draw him some sympathy, but let's consider the fact that teammate Case Keenum's rate was only 21.2 percent, ranked sixth in the league. The Rams had four offensive linemen play at least 893 snaps last year, so there was not a massive decline in talent and continuity when Goff took over. Defenses blitzed Goff more than Keenum, but there was not a huge difference. It is more likely that the rookie just got a bit confused at times, mixing up where the next pass-rusher was coming from with where the sun was going to set.

Before we bring the sun down on Goff, we do have to reiterate that the No. 1 overall pick was just a rookie, and even Terry Bradshaw and Troy Aikman once recovered from horrific rookie seasons to make the Hall of Fame. The Rams are likely not building a dynasty beneath our noses, but it is worth mentioning again: you can't fully dismiss a player after one struggling season.

However, one of the absolute best stats in judging whether or not a quarterback can cut it in this league is DVOA without pressure. Some crazy results can happen under pressure, but you expect the quarterback to do well when given a clean pocket from which to operate. This is where Goff's season -- and granted, it was seven starts on an offense that has been barren for years -- gets really scary. Since 2010, no quarterback had a worse DVOA without pressure than Goff's -45.2%. In fact, it was not even close.

This is really discouraging. Peyton Manning knew it was time to retire after 2015. Curtis Painter (2011 Colts) and Jimmy Clausen (2010 Panthers) were so bad that their teams were able to draft Andrew Luck and Cam Newton with No. 1 overall picks. Matt Cassel and Mark Sanchez will only get work this fall if Mike Glennon or Marcus Mariota are injured. Terrelle Pryor ended up converting to a wide receiver, and the Cardinals had a hell of a time bridging from Kurt Warner's retirement to the acquisition of Carson Palmer.

IMP;2149;partner_id=icrossing&campaign_id=Dstillery&creative_id=%7B1%7D&placement_id=%7B2%7D
[media_channel_id]

Christian Ponder and Blaine Gabbert may have started more than a dozen games each after their 2011 rookie seasons, but the Vikings and Jaguars moved on to draft Teddy Bridgewater and Blake Bortles in 2014. Bortles might be on his last legs in Jacksonville too.

If we dropped the requirement to 100 passes, that would bring up a holy trio of awfulness in Ryan Lindley (2012 Cardinals), Tyler Palko (2011 Chiefs), and Caleb Hanie (2011 Bears). It also includes Kirk Cousins in his 2013 season, and he has at least made something of himself in these last two years for Washington. It is worth mentioning that new Rams coach Sean McVay took over as Cousins' offensive coordinator in 2014. However, one name out of two dozen is a major problem. If a quarterback can't reach at least 10.0% DVOA without pressure, he just might not be capable of starting in the NFL. Ambiguous Hollywood ending: Goff has a long way to go....

Attachments

• Goff chart.pdf
    163.1 KB · Views: 194

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Personally I hope ESPN goes the-way-of-the L.A. Don's!! NO LONGER IN EXISTANCE! I find any articles they come up with regarding the Rams as " Tiring " !!

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

From your lips to God's ear, my brother!

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom

giphy.gif

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The answer is IMMENSELY better.

Our OC last year was a first-timer at the NFL level, without having worked under any offensive mind of note. Our offensive line was a sieve. Our running game was non-existent due to no holes and a scheme that was not capable or willing to throw over a stacked box. Our wideouts did whatever the F they wanted, dropped balls, blocked like crap, etc.

Do the math. This offense is going to be night and day from last year.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

After 4 long, painful years I'm eager to see what a real offensive mind can do with tavon. He will be taught properly and primed to break out.

Bring it on.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Personally I hope ESPN goes the-way-of-the L.A. Don's!! NO LONGER IN EXISTANCE! I find any articles they come up with regarding the Rams as " Tiring " !!
D@mn Dave, the LA Don's reference just went over even long time Ram fans heads! I'm a historian that was interested in the fledgling leagues like the AAFC, which was folded into the NFL around 1949.
GSNcQnP.png

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
It's better by default. Getting rid of Fisher was the key and bringing in a young guy who loves offense helps immensely. The thing they're missing is, we're not trying to get better. The offense is just trying to be something. You can't really improve on something if what you're trying is completely different. If McVay kept Fishers playbook then yes, we would be trying to improve. But it's like having a 99 Malibu for 4 years and then buying a brand new Ferrari and hoping your track time gets better. Well duh your car is brand new.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's better by default. Getting rid of Fisher was the key and bringing in a young guy who loves offense helps immensely. The thing they're missing is, we're not trying to get better. The offense is just trying to be something. You can't really improve on something if what you're trying is completely different. If McVay kept Fishers playbook then yes, we would be trying to improve. But it's like having a 99 Malibu for 4 years and then buying a brand new Ferrari and hoping your track time gets better. Well duh your car is brand new.
I love this! Not only did we have a 99 Malibu, there was an old Taco Bell bag that worked it's way behind the gas pedal with the other trash on the floor board. The car couldn't go over 35 MPH and the driver and lousy mechanics never figured it. This new culture is, like you said, a new car, that is going to be lovingly cared for, this is the new Rams! Seahawks were horrible forever and look how that culture changed with one coach. I think this is going to be something very special for years to come.