Rams notebook: Person played all 71 offensive snaps vs. Packers/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams notebook: Person played all 71 offensive snaps vs. Packers
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_097baf6b-129b-5b47-bdb7-809e9bb57b94.html

It’s doubtful that Rams offensive lineman Mike Person had any trouble falling asleep Saturday night.

That afternoon, in the Rams’ 21-7 loss to the visiting Green Bay Packers, Person was on the field for all 71 of the team’s offensive snaps. And he accomplished the iron-man effort while seeing action at tackle, guard and center.

“Just trying to go out and make my mark wherever I can,’’ the fourth-year pro from Montana State said after the game. “I’m trying to make the team and if it takes playing all five positions on the offensive line, that’s what I’m going to do.’’

In his second start of the preseason, Person opened at left guard and later switched positions with first-round draft pick Greg Robinson, who started at left tackle. Later in the game, the 6-foot-4, 299-pound Person took over at his newest position, center.

With 2013 draft pick Barrett Jones (back) and 2014 draft pick Demetrius Rhaney (knee) injured and not expected back until after the preseason, Person is now the Rams’ No. 3 center behind 11-year veteran Scott Wells and Tim Barnes, a third-year pro from Mizzou.

“I’ve been a tackle all my life,’’ Person said. “But I’m comfortable at guard and I’m getting more comfortable at center. At this level, the more you can do, the better your chances of making a roster. No matter where they need me, I’ll go.

“Getting the start, even if it’s in the preseason, that definitely gets you going a little bit. Hopefully, I’m able to take advantage of it.’’

Person, 26, started the final 34 games of his career at right tackle for Montana State and was selected in the seventh round of the 2011 draft by San Francisco. After a year there, he was cut and split time in 2012 between the Indianapolis Colts and Seattle Seahawks.

He made his NFL debut early in 2013 with Seattle but was later cut. He was claimed off waivers by the Rams last September but was declared inactive for the final 14 games last season.

“Every day, I just try to go out and work my butt off,’’ he said. “Just taking it day by day. One thing I’ve really focused on is trying to learn all the ins and outs of the offense. By really studying and understanding the whole offense, I feel like I’m capable of playing anywhere along the offensive line, and that really helps you flow from one position to the next.’’

Person has enjoyed his time in St. Louis and is working hard to keep a spot on the Rams’ offensive line.

“It’s an awesome group of guys, guys who work hard every day,’’ he said. “These guys like to joke around, but when it’s time to go, it’s time to go. It’s a great room with coach ‘Boo’ (offensive line coach Paul Boudreau) and coach Dickerson (assistant offensive line coach Andy Dickerson). They keep things light, but when it’s time to work, things get serious in a hurry.’’

WESTBROOKS EXCELS

Getting a lot of action with the Rams’ second-teamers, undrafted rookie free agent Ethan Westbrooks had an outstanding game against the Packers.

Playing defensive end, he teamed with fifth-year pro and fellow West Texas A&M product Eugene Sims to wreak havoc during one second-quarter drive and then came up with his first professional sack just before halftime.

Westbrooks, who stands 6-feet-4 and weighs 267 pounds, finished with four tackles, a sack and a pair of quarterback hurries.

RAM-BLINGS

• The Rams will hold their final two open-to-the-public workouts today and Wednesday at Rams Park in Earth City. Both practices will begin at 3:30 p.m.

• Monday’s NFL transactions featured a number of players with regional ties: Pittsburgh signed former University of Illinois tackle Graham Pocic; Indianapolis signed former Southern Illinois-Carbondale running back and kick returner Deji Karim; former Ram Rokevious Watkins cleared waivers after being cut by Kansas City; Dallas waived former SIUC defensive back Korey Lindsay; and ex-Illinois receiver Steve Hull was waived by the New Orleans Saints.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
He's played really well, however, because the Rams needed him at center they had to play Sean Hooey at LT much to the chagrin of Ram fans and QB Austin Davis.

Coach O was right on point about Person and his versatility as he can play every position along the offensive line. At this point one could surmise that besides Joseph Person is the only depth the Rams currently have on the offensive line. Now with the injury to Jones I expect Rhaney to make the squad as long as his knee is okay, but I'm betting the Rams will pick up an offensive lineman that cut from another team because to this point the likes of Van Dyk, Dill, Morrell and even Bond have not shown well and throw in the Hooey disaster and you can understand why the Rams depth on the OL is cause for S.O.S.

A320driver

Rookie
He's played really well, however, because the Rams needed him at center they had to play Sean Hooey at LT much to the chagrin of Ram fans and QB Austin Davis.

Coach O was right on point about Person and his versatility as he can play every position along the offensive line. At this point one could surmise that besides Joseph Person is the only depth the Rams currently have on the offensive line. Now with the injury to Jones I expect Rhaney to make the squad as long as his knee is okay, but I'm betting the Rams will pick up an offensive lineman that cut from another team because to this point the likes of Van Dyk, Dill, Morrell and even Bond have not shown well and throw in the Hooey disaster and you can understand why the Rams depth on the OL is cause for S.O.S.

I just don't get it ? Rhaney and Van Dyke where never going to make it as they're to far behind the others, and that's pointing towards their respective grasp of the play book.
Jones was always in as per his 4th round status albeit he never got on the field likened to B. Washington.
Mike Person by virtue of his versitality is pretty much a lock..After that you have got 3 guys WHO ALL !
Are playing only one back up position!....So why do people fail to see/hear what Fischer has pointed out in the Post game Presser about your so called Hooey disaster ? The guy has played solid at RT.
They were so depleted they stuck him in at LT in the last series. He had 4 bad snaps due to being pretty tired with the second most snaps after Person.
Neither Joseph, or Bond have not played as much as them, nor even been thrown into the mix outside ..why ?
Last year Joe Barksdale struggled mightily at LT, and he became a solid RT when Saffold struggled at RT and lost games due to the shoulder.injury. When he came back they put him in at RG, and he shined.
Hooey graded out very well at RT, why can't people listen to the coaching staffs explanation, and accept it for what it is!
Sorry don't understand all the hate , and stupidity towards what Boo, and Fischer say is a solid guy at RT?

Perspective: As of this weekend the falcons have to decide between a first round bust from the Bears Carimi, and another UDFA to play their RT because of Baker going down at LT , Mathews moving over....The number one pick from a year ago E. Fischer is really struggling to even see the field at KC at guard, or Tackle...The Giants can't find Another Tackle..etc. Etc.
So guys where are we gonna find "the guy everybody says is going to be there"
Fact is We have options at LT, and RT. But they are not Joseph, and or Bond !
It's Saffold/ Robinson/ person at LT...and Hooey at RT....And those are the facts as we have seen them in the pre season.

Alan

Legend
A320driver just like many of us, not seeing any alternatives:
Saying stuff that's full of Hooey.
Do we have any choice about keeping Hooey? :(

A320driver

Rookie
Do we have any choice about keeping Hooey? :(

Alan ..like the hamster says in the sprint commercial : "hey I don't know where your going with that" :)

I guess what I am trying to say is that when Barksdale came over from Oakland everyone was riding him as a reject from a lousy team, and we could do better!...his play at LT was far from acceptable, and his play at RT was suspect. Joe was one year out from being converted from A 3rd round pick at D line. He just needed time, and reps. Hooey was an oft injured player in college that went undrafted but had great upside. When he did play he blew open big holes for his teammate I. Pead. That didn't get overlooked by the scouts/coaching staff.
They must see the same thing in him as they did Barksdale, or they would have cut him, and never came out like they did Monday and do some damage control in the post game presser....I haven't seen that before, especially for an UDFA, as there is no shame in letting a practice body get hammered by the press/ fans. That kind of action is usually reserved for covering your butt on a guy drafted in the top rounds .
The point is that Boo and Fischer made their decision, stuck by Joe ,and now you have a rock solid place holder at RT. ...I don't see any difference on how they are handling Hooey.. I think he's still very much one of their guys, and not going anywhere but maybe the PS for another year. WTBS, it also would not surprise me to see him carried on the 53.
Cheers ;)

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
At this point one could surmise that besides Joseph Person is the only depth the Rams currently have on the offensive line.

Travis Bond has been playing very well. Another mountain of a man, all three of Bond / Saffold / Robinson are 6'5+, 330+. Person got manhandled by Green Bay's Mike Daniels when he was playing against the 1s as LG. Imho, Person was MUCH better at T.

...which is to say that I can easily see a gameday 8 OL of the starters plus Joseph, Person and Barnes. For the 53, you can add Bond and some veteran waiver wire depth.

Hooey, Van Dyk, Rhaney, practice squad at best this year.

PS - Barrett Jones (back) and Washington... all depends on health I guess as I've seen neither in game action.

Last edited:

CoachO

Hall of Fame

You're forgetting about Tim Barnes, as the first option at Center, and he will most likely be backing up at LG on Game day.

Rhaney will not make this team, and could actually be out longer than Jones with what is being called a deep bone bruise to his knee. (4 to 6 weeks) My guess is he gets placed on IR, or at the very least Practice Squad. IR would be the safest way to ensure he stays in the organization, and gets the "red-shirt" year he was going to need regardless.

Last edited:

CoachO

Hall of Fame
You're forgetting about Tim Barnes, as the first option at Center, and he will most likely be backing up at LG on Game day.

Rhaney will not make this team, and could actually be out longer than Jones with what is being called a deep bone bruise to his knee. (4 to 6 weeks) My guess is he gets placed on IR, or at the very least Practice Squad. IR would be the safest way to ensure he stays in the organization, and gets the "red-shirt year he was going to need regardless.

You are really over stating the case for the lack of depth. Hooey, regardless of his implosion at LEFT Tackle Saturday night, has actually graded out pretty well at RIGHT TACKLE. And best case scenario for him, would be the 6th OT in the pecking order, (3rd at RT). Travis Bond has played pretty well, and shows to be an definite upgrade over the likes of Brandon Washington, who many seemed to think was a good depth guy last year.

Too many seem to be focusing on the woes of guys who will not be here a week from now. But with a lineup of Long, Saffold, Wells, Robinson, Barksdale, Barnes, Joseph, Person, Bond, and Jones/Hooey as a 10/11 man unit, they are deeper than they have been in this coaching staffs tenure, and as is the norm with a Boudreau unit, VERY flexible.

Last edited:

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
The Rams offensive line has yet to put its best foot forward as a unit and I think the depth on the offensive line is actually better than the play we have seen from some of the backups in the preseason games. A lot of guys are playing in alternate positions without the cohesiveness of playing together for a while and the line makeup does not truly reflect how things will emerge if injuries occur. Essentially in the first 2 preseason games, the O-line has been without their two best players in Long and Saffold plus Wells was out for the first game as well. The only starters that have played any significant snaps are Barksdale and Robinson with Wells getting some time in game 2. Robinson is learning and will only get better (Even though he has had a few bad moments in pass pro, his talent is obvious).

As we all know, with good health the Starting 5 should be: Long, Robinson, Wells, Saffold, and Barksdale. After that, the final 4 by my guess would be Joseph, Barnes, Bond & Person - Plus Hooey if they keep 10 with Van Dyk and Rhaney to the PS. If they only keep 9 then it could be Hooey, Van Dyk, and Rhaney to the PS assuming they all clear waivers. Noted below are estimated depth charts purely based on my humble opinion. From my perspective the Rams actually have some pretty good depth and a lot of flexibility with their starters and backups.

LT Tackle Depth Chart (IMO)
Long
Saffold - Joseph to RG
Person
Robinson - Bond to LG
Barksdale - Hooey to RG

LG Depth Chart
Robinson
Joseph
Bond
Person
Barnes

Center Depth Chart
Wells
Barnes
Person
Rhaney (activated from PS)

RG Depth Chart
Saffold
Joseph
Bond
Barnes
Person

RT Depth Chart
Barksdale
Saffold - Joseph to RG
Hooey (if they keep 10)
Robinson - Bond to LG
Van Dyk (Activated from PS)
Person

CoachO

Hall of Fame
The Rams offensive line has yet to put its best foot forward as a unit and I think the depth on the offensive line is actually better than the play we have seen from some of the backups in the preseason games. A lot of guys are playing in alternate positions without the cohesiveness of playing together for a while and the line makeup does not truly reflect how things will emerge if injuries occur. Essentially in the first 2 preseason games, the O-line has been without their two best players in Long and Saffold plus Wells was out for the first game as well. The only starters that have played any significant snaps are Barksdale and Robinson with Wells getting some time in game 2. Robinson is learning and will only get better (Even though he has had a few bad moments in pass pro, his talent is obvious).

As we all know, with good health the Starting 5 should be: Long, Robinson, Wells, Saffold, and Barksdale. After that, the final 4 by my guess would be Joseph, Barnes, Bond & Person - Plus Hooey if they keep 10 with Van Dyk and Rhaney to the PS. If they only keep 9 then it could be Hooey, Van Dyk, and Rhaney to the PS assuming they all clear waivers. Noted below are estimated depth charts purely based on my humble opinion. From my perspective the Rams actually have some pretty good depth and a lot of flexibility with their starters and backups.

LT Tackle Depth Chart (IMO)
Long
Saffold - Joseph to RG
Person
Robinson - Bond to LG
Barksdale - Hooey to RG

LG Depth Chart
Robinson
Joseph
Bond
Person
Barnes

Center Depth Chart
Wells
Barnes
Person
Rhaney (activated from PS)

RG Depth Chart
Saffold
Joseph
Bond
Barnes
Person

RT Depth Chart
Barksdale
Saffold - Joseph to RG
Hooey (if they keep 10)
Robinson - Bond to LG
Person
You are on the right track, but I would suggest, that Joseph and Bond, at this point are ONLY options at RG. The #1 backup at LG will be Saffold, and then Barnes after him. Person can play LG, but IMO just isn't big enough, as demonstrated on Saturday to hold up against bigger DT's.

Regardless of where they move Saffold to, Joseph comes into play RG, with Bond then becoming his primary backup.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
You are on the right track, but I would suggest, that Joseph and Bond, at this point are ONLY options at RG. The #1 backup at LG will be Saffold, and then Barnes after him. Person can play LG, but IMO just isn't big enough, as demonstrated on Saturday to hold up against bigger DT's.

Regardless of where they move Saffold to, Joseph comes into play RG, with Bond then becoming his primary backup.

I agree with you that those scenarios actually make more sense than what I listed.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
If the Rams loose more than 3 starters along the offensive line then we are probably looking at a doomsday scenario anyway but one thing to also keep in mind is that the depth guys also provide value with regards to practicing even if they never start, so a guy like Person has hidden value because he can slide around to so many positions in practice as well.

Alan

Legend
A320driver liking hamsters:
Alan ..like the hamster says in the sprint commercial : "hey I don't know where your going with that" :)
:LOL:
First of all, I agree with much of what you said in your post. My point is that even if what you said wasn't true we'd still have to keep him. With Jones not an option, we have to keep Hooey because no one else is even close to his level at tackle. Left or right.

EDIT: Other than Person of course.

Hopefully you're right about his ability to play RT. Though I'm pretty sure if he has to replace Barks it will drastically change what we do on offense because we'll have to help him out on all our pass plays.

I missed that commercial. Sounds like it was one of the few good ones. :)
upload_2014-8-19_14-31-25.jpeg
images

Last edited:

A320driver

Rookie
Travis Bond has been playing very well. Another mountain of a man, all three of Bond / Saffold / Robinson are 6'5+, 330+. Person got manhandled by Green Bay's Mike Daniels when he was playing against the 1s as LG. Imho, Person was MUCH better at T.

...which is to say that I can easily see a gameday 8 OL of the starters plus Joseph, Person and Barnes. For the 53, you can add Bond and some veteran waiver wire depth.

Hooey, Van Dyk, Rhaney, practice squad at best this year.

PS - Barrett Jones (back) and Washington... all depends on health I guess as I've seen neither in game action.

I 'd say your pretty darn close, and wouldn't be surprised to see this. However, I think we have to wait and see how Bond, and Hooey do this week because the waiver wire is a non entity until the 26th..At that juncture we will know pretty much if they think they have to look else where for help. They need depth more at OT than at guard so that's where they might go. They absolutely don't want to put Saffold back to RT unless it's the only resort. But it will take at least 5-6 weeks before another guy can get comfortable enough to consume schottys offense...that's why This week is so important for depth guys. If both of them grade high again at RG and RT tackle respectively I'd say your 8 plus those 2 to the 53.

A320driver

Rookie
:LOL:
First of all, I agree with much of what you said in your post. My point is that even if what you said wasn't true we'd still have to keep him. With Jones not an option, we have to keep Hooey because no one else is even close to his level at tackle. Left or right.

Hopefully you're right about his ability to play RT. Though I'm pretty sure if he has to replace Barks it will drastically change what we do on offense because we'll have to help him out on all our pass plays.

I missed that commercial. Sounds like it was one of the few good ones. :)
View attachment 2675
images

Can one of you other computer gurus post that sprint commercial for Alan ? It's the one where the dude says TRE GOOD ..and the hamster replies. I think it's called Sprint family dinner with grandpa.

;) thanks!

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
RT Depth Chart
Barksdale
Saffold - Joseph to RG
Hooey (if they keep 10)
Robinson - Bond to LG
Person

Totally agree with all the extended depth chats except RT, that Person comes before Hooey. Unlikely Hooey is active at any point this year imho while person will be active day 1imho.

I'd still kinda like to see a proven serviceable versatile veteran waiver guy added to the mix, someone like a Todd Steusie or Adam Goldberg.

A320driver

Rookie
Totally agree with all the extended depth chats except RT, that Person comes before Hooey. Unlikely Hooey is active at any point this year imho while person will be active day 1imho.

I'd still kinda like to see a proven serviceable versatile veteran waiver guy added to the mix, someone like a Todd Steusie or Adam Goldberg.

That's all great in lala land, but NO ONE but Hooey has got any reps at RT? So we agree that they could bring in a guy off waivers. ..Person is not an option at this point in time, and that is determined by what's gone down in practice. ..so far ?