Rams notebook: Person played all 71 offensive snaps vs. Packers/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
You are on the right track, but I would suggest, that Joseph and Bond, at this point are ONLY options at RG. The #1 backup at LG will be Saffold, and then Barnes after him. Person can play LG, but IMO just isn't big enough, as demonstrated on Saturday to hold up against bigger DT's.

Regardless of where they move Saffold to, Joseph comes into play RG, with Bond then becoming his primary backup.
I agree, our best 5 in that scenario would be having Saffold, and Joseph playing Guard.

Alan

Legend
mr.stlouis thinking positively:
To his credit, Fisher said he graded out much better at RT and LT was very new to him. Who knows?
That's why I think he makes the 53. Having said that, I sure hope he never sees the field.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
The Rams offensive line has yet to put its best foot forward as a unit and I think the depth on the offensive line is actually better than the play we have seen from some of the backups in the preseason games. A lot of guys are playing in alternate positions without the cohesiveness of playing together for a while and the line makeup does not truly reflect how things will emerge if injuries occur. Essentially in the first 2 preseason games, the O-line has been without their two best players in Long and Saffold plus Wells was out for the first game as well. The only starters that have played any significant snaps are Barksdale and Robinson with Wells getting some time in game 2. Robinson is learning and will only get better (Even though he has had a few bad moments in pass pro, his talent is obvious).

As we all know, with good health the Starting 5 should be: Long, Robinson, Wells, Saffold, and Barksdale. After that, the final 4 by my guess would be Joseph, Barnes, Bond & Person - Plus Hooey if they keep 10 with Van Dyk and Rhaney to the PS. If they only keep 9 then it could be Hooey, Van Dyk, and Rhaney to the PS assuming they all clear waivers. Noted below are estimated depth charts purely based on my humble opinion. From my perspective the Rams actually have some pretty good depth and a lot of flexibility with their starters and backups.

LT Tackle Depth Chart (IMO)
Long
Saffold - Joseph to RG
Person
Robinson - Bond to LG
Barksdale - Hooey to RG

LG Depth Chart
Robinson
Joseph
Bond
Person
Barnes

Center Depth Chart
Wells
Barnes
Person
Rhaney (activated from PS)

RG Depth Chart
Saffold
Joseph
Bond
Barnes
Person

RT Depth Chart
Barksdale
Saffold - Joseph to RG
Hooey (if they keep 10)
Robinson - Bond to LG
Van Dyk (Activated from PS)
Person
If Saffold and Joseph go down at RG I have to think Dahl gets a phone call.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
That's all great in lala land, but NO ONE but Hooey has got any reps at RT? So we agree that they could bring in a guy off waivers. ..Person is not an option at this point in time, and that is determined by what's gone down in practice. ..so far ?

Person played RT last year both in the pre-season and 1st game against Seattle for a few snaps. There is nothing la la about it. I'm just saying that in any game, if Barksdale goes down, Saffold goes down, Person is next in line. With probably only 8 OL dressed, it'll likely be Person, Joseph or Barnes as next in line. The Rams are really fortunate that they can move Saffold out to RT and bring in Joseph to play RG. Almost every team has a swing tackle to backup the both T positions.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
puke-in-my-mouth.gif

Having an Adam Goldeberg as 9th or 10th on the depth chart and most likely not in uniform on Sundays would make you dry heave? How much do you want to pay for your 9th or 10th OL?

A320driver

Rookie
Person played RT last year both in the pre-season and 1st game against Seattle for a few snaps. There is nothing la la about it. I'm just saying that in any game, if Barksdale goes down, Saffold goes down, Person is next in line. With probably only 8 OL dressed, it'll likely be Person, Joseph or Barnes as next in line. The Rams are really fortunate that they can move Saffold out to RT and bring in Joseph to play RG. Almost every team has a swing tackle to backup the both T positions.

Junkman ..Iam cool with that info, but like coach O says " it's about now, and what can you do today"
They have already decided that this kid is going to be in the mix by playing only him behind Joe Barksdale.
As far as anyone else on the current roster, only Saffold has played for the rams in this offensive scheme of Schottenhiemer's at RT..Mike Person has never seen a snap,in St. Louis ..Only some mop up duty in Seattle 2 years ago, and during the pre season. He wasn't a Ram until we plucked him off Seattles practice squad last year and that was after a couple of games..not sure of the exact date ? He has stuck around on the practice squad of 4 different teams before coming to ST. Louis last season. He spent most of the entire season on the 53, and was activated for the 46 for a couple of games near the end of the regular season. I am in no way dissing Mike. In fact I think he's earned a spot this year by virtue of his steady play...Albeit we have 2 more games, and we will see how much time Hooey gets @ RT ? That my young friend will be the litmus test . If he continues to make progress AT RT ! ;)....then he'll be with us on the 53.
Cheers !

Last edited: