Rams not going all in to win the Super Bowl

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I dont know why we put any thought or response into these articles. They obviously don't follow the Rams or do any actual research.

Again journalism is dead.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
My theory on drafting a player vs trading that draft pick for a player is simply illustrated in the Cooks trade. Cooks is a known commodity 3 of the 4 years over 1100 yards and 70+ catches. What first rounder most likely the 2nd or 3rd wr off the board will be available in the mid 20s vs a known elite commodity.

Elite is the key here all the trades or FA pickups I consider elite. Peters is not playing like an elite player but making the pro bowl 3 years says he was elite. Elite equals known commodity. Draft equals unknown commodity. You got to look at the college tape and see why that draft pick is truly a first rounder. Most likely the sacks or ints or catches are against players that couldn't get an NFL tryout so the compition level is very minimal thus elevating that players success profile hence when they get over drafted they resemble the Robinson, Fowler etc of the world. 50% of first rounders are busts they may be cheap in comparison to an elite NFL player, but they also take a year plus to learn what they need to, catch up to the NFL speed of the game and bulk up and train smart so it is still a learning curve. An elite player steps in day 1 and elevates the position as well as an added benefit he can coach other players in his position group.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
However, we are trying to win now and get that SB, but we have signed most of these trades to long term deals minus a couple of players .
If fowler and Suh end up playing well thru the end of the year of would bet they try to tie them up for a couple more.
Peters is in a weird situation. Started the season well and started to get exposed in the SD game before his injury. I don't know what we do with him. In a way it helps the Rams sign him to a team friendly deal but also gives another desperate team a chance to over pay him, I just hope he doesn't pull a JJ or TJ move and go for the money to a shit team.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I like the team that Les has assembled overall. And I don't think it's being critical to say that he does need to be careful with the picks moving forward in a general sense, since at some point nobody is going to bat a thousand irt hitting on enough late round dudes to sustain a winning roster.

Peters I think is a good example of how you're gonna have trade off in terms of making these moves that I would moreso call "win now" vice "going all in for the Super Bowl." Because Les is right that no move you make can be valued in the beginning with the thought that you have to win the Super Bowl to make it worth it. It's made simply to improve the roster where you're weak and hopefully give your team a boost.

To me it's kind of like a credit card type deal. Where you want to be careful of the price of having it now, vice waiting until later. And I know Les & Kevin and probably Sean weigh that stuff by looking at the draft positional quality and where they'll be picking and know what they're doing and all that. But even then you do want to be careful because it's that trade off of low cost/control vs win now.

The interesting thing the rest of the way is going to be Fowler. There are some good rush ends in this draft, but what will late first round look like? Might end up being something like corner there at 31 :D in terms of BPA. So if Fowler can come in and give us a boost how is that business side gonna line up? And is he a guy you trust where if you pay him he'll get right back to work next year? I'm trying to curb my excitement with him because I loved him coming out in the draft and my concern is he's missing something upstairs to not live up to so much potential. But damn he's a great fit for what Wade does. I know there's a way to go and all that, but it's interesting to think about.
You are correct about snead not getting carried away with the acquisition of players. What I will suggest though is we have been behind the curve when it comes with what the rams are thinking or what the plan is. These things you bring up could very well be considerations when formulating the plan. Our FO and coaching seem to be very wise over the last season and half.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Jealousy is never far beneath the surface; we had the same cap, draft system, FA market player acquisition system as everybody else. Snead just outplayed the league.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
One other thing is the trades the Rams make aren't for over the hill one year rentals or even over the hill inflated contracts they are for young either established, up and coming, or maybe even under achieving but young. For instance cooks was 24 when we acquired him Calvin Ridley was what at the time 22,23? I will take cooks anyway and every day no matter what established over hopeful. The only acquisition the Rams made that was a bit older but by no means over the hill or washed up and actually a good contract was talib and you can clearly see how much we miss him his play and leadership. Talib also strikes me as a dude that could switch to safety if and when shutdown corner is no more. I truly love every trades this regime has made even Watkins it all worked out to bring us here. Not to mention we also get back compensatory picks out of some of our players we didn't want.

Last edited:

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What kills you... absolutely kills you, is giving up draft picks on acquisitions that don't pan out.

This Rams management has a strong handle on what players fit the system and will produce.

When that happens, giving up some draft picks for the right players builds championships.