Rams not going all in to win the Super Bowl

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Posting only the Rams' portion written by Steve Wyche from NFL REPORTER'S NOTEBOOK:

Rams' grand plans

The Los Angeles Rams' acquisition of former Jacksonville Jaguars pass rusher Dante Fowler at this week's trade deadline -- in exchange for a third-round pick in 2019 and a fifth-rounder in 2020 -- continued a trend by the league's only undefeated team to aggressively part ways with draft picks for players who boast an NFL resume.

This offseason, Los Angeles surrendered a first-round draft pick in a deal for wide receiver Brandin Cooks. The Rams also made trades for cornerbacks Marcus Peters and Aqib Talib, and added standout defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh in free agency.

The additions have paid off, as the Rams enter Week 9 at 8-0. But while the record has been perfect, the roster wasn't. The decision to part with pass rushers Robert Quinn (via trade) and Connor Barwin (via free agency) this spring left a void that interior defenders Aaron Donald, Suh and Michael Brockers could only cover up for so long.

So the move was made for Fowler, a former No. 3 overall pick who hasn't lived up to his lofty draft status, but who is expected to pay dividends over the final half of the season. His contract expires after 2018, so this is an audition for Fowler. The Rams didn't mind giving up a third-round pick, because if Fowler pays off, general manager Les Snead said, they're better. If it doesn't work out and the sides part ways, then the Ramsstill likely will have two third-round picks in the 2019 NFL Draft, because they're expecting corresponding compensatory picks for losing cornerback Trumaine Johnson and wide receiver Sammy Watkins in free agency.

"It drives me nuts when people say that you're going all in to win the Super Bowl this season," Snead said. "You're going all in to maybe give you a millimeter, centimeter, an upper hand.

"Building through the draft leads to sustainability. You've also been able to watch what a team like New England's done. They've used draft picks, but they've also used picks to make trades. They've used free agency. Your whole goal is to acquire players that are going to help Sean McVay and his staff execute in any way possible."

The Rams did build a nucleus through the draft that includes running back Todd Gurley, Donald, Brockers and safety Lamarcus Joyner. Quarterback Jared Goff was drafted No. 1 overall in 2016 -- don't forget, though, that the rising star was acquired after a trade with the Titans to move up to the top spot.

It took McVay, hired in 2017, to improve the perpetually woeful Rams, but he needed supporting pieces, starting with as much offensive help as possible. The Rams' offense ranked last in the league in 2016, which was the team's first season back in L.A., having returned to the city following a 21-year relocation to St. Louis.

Left tackle Andrew Whitworth and center John Sullivan were acquired in 2017 free agency. Wide receiver Robert Woods was, too. The Rams traded a second-round pick to Buffalo for Watkins. Los Angeles then went on to win the NFC West, but got knocked off by Atlanta on Wild Card Weekend.

The Chiefs signed Watkins to a three-year, $48 million contract this spring -- too rich for the Rams. McVay and Snead pondered waiting for a rookie wideout to possibly fall to them at No. 23 in the draft, but they didn't like their chances that maybe Calvin Ridley would be there. Even if he was, would he immediately measure up to the tsunami of offensive production they'd established?

So, they traded a first-rounder for Cooks with every expectation that they'd sign him to a long-term deal. (He ended up inking a five-year, $81 million extension.) McVay wanted him in 2017, but the Rams didn't have the assets to trade for him then.

L.A. can make a lot of these moves and pay out some hefty contracts in part because Goff is in the third season of a rookie contract that pays him less than $3 million in base salary in 2018. That number is going to radically inflate in a few years -- based on the current quarterback salary escalation, $30 million annually will be the baseline -- but that won't mean the Rams will have to make a massive salary dump to keep Goff.

By then, Whitworth, who is now 36, could retire, and Talib could be gone, as well, clearing two contracts at high-salaried positions. Also, the extensions Cooks, Donald and Gurley signed this offseason will be more middle-of-the-pack in terms of dollar value by then, especially with the expected continued increase in the salary cap.

That's why, despite all the talk that the Rams are making moves to close the deal this season, Snead said they haven't done anything in a vacuum.

"This isn't just for 2018," Snead said. "We don't want to be 2018 and it's over. What's going on, it's microscopic -- and telescopic."

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
Kid me not, we are absolutely going all in for the Super Bowl but it’s for;

“Infinity and beyond” -Buzz Lightyear

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
We have rebuilt the roster to the point we’ll need the draft picks going forward for cheaper labor to round out the roster.

But... the way I look at it... yes... we’ve traded picks... but in doing so every one of those picks was a “hit” pick. Meaning, they added to the roster. Our first rounder netted Cooks (hit), our second rounder netted Peters (hit), etc.

In the draft, you don’t always get that.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I think all these media people believe the rams signed all these players to one year contracts. That could be the only way they could think the rams were all in for this year only.

Ram65

Legend
They see draft picks as assets that can pay dividends either by making player selections or trades. The biggest assets the Rams have now are the people evaluating talent coming out of college and already in the NFL. Snead got both the scouting department up to a high level with the pro player evaluation department. They are hitting on all cylinders while taking some risks in free agency and trades. So far they have minimized the risks and are reaping the dividends of many new additions over the last two years.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree it's a lazy and thoughtless comment by media and opposing fans alike. The one I keep seeing that drives me nuts is we trade away too many picks. So last year we had what 11 draft picks? Next year we have 6 in a 7 round draft. Yeah I know this is a foreign concept to a reporter but think and research before you type something out. It'll only help you look and sound less idiotic.

tempests

Hall of Fame
"There is a tide in the affairs of men, which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune."

Strike while the iron is hot. That's what the Rams are doing.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I think all these media people believe the rams signed all these players to one year contracts. That could be the only way they could think the rams were all in for this year only.

I agree it's a lazy and thoughtless comment by media and opposing fans alike. The one I keep seeing that drives me nuts is we trade away too many picks. So last year we had what 11 draft picks? Next year we have 6 in a 7 round draft. Yeah I know this is a foreign concept to a reporter but think and research before you type something out. It'll only help you look and sound less idiotic.

I'm with you guys, it's just a dumb way to frame what Snead has done, and how he did it.

I think he views picks the correct way, and the way I view them too by the way. They are currency to acquire players. Period. And no matter the use or method, that's what draft choices are. So using between 1 or 2 or 3 per year to "draft" (trade for) role players with proven track records, good players that maybe need some new surroundings, upper end talent that fits the system and all points in between. They are just getting "drafted" from an NFL team, not a college team.

The only downside, which can be managed if a watchful eye is kept, is that you don't have quite as much cheap talent on the roster. But it's not so much that they would end up in cap trouble.

It's great that we have the "Big Three" in place, and I suspect they will all be together for many years to come.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nothing irks me more.

Rams will have at least six picks next year and probably seven after all the comp picks. Year after we're only missing a fifth rounder. We have made all of these moves and will essentially not be missing any picks.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
They are hitting on all cylinders while taking some risks in free agency and trades. So far they have minimized the risks and are reaping the dividends of many new additions over the last two years.

This is right on the money and could be it's own thread/topic.

The list of players brought in during the last 2 years has been a near complete re-do of the offenses weapons, and some very key defensive players as well.

I laugh when I hear talking heads, or posters, talk about the potent offense and say "look what McVay is doing with the Rams, why couldn't Fisher get points on the board like this".

Well, it ain't really those Rams anymore!!!

Not taking a thing away from McVay I think he is very, very similar to the good things about Mike Martz, but Snead reshaped this roster in a flash by NFL standards/timelines.

What it was, and what it is, are so different it's remarkable.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I like the team that Les has assembled overall. And I don't think it's being critical to say that he does need to be careful with the picks moving forward in a general sense, since at some point nobody is going to bat a thousand irt hitting on enough late round dudes to sustain a winning roster.

Peters I think is a good example of how you're gonna have trade off in terms of making these moves that I would moreso call "win now" vice "going all in for the Super Bowl." Because Les is right that no move you make can be valued in the beginning with the thought that you have to win the Super Bowl to make it worth it. It's made simply to improve the roster where you're weak and hopefully give your team a boost.

To me it's kind of like a credit card type deal. Where you want to be careful of the price of having it now, vice waiting until later. And I know Les & Kevin and probably Sean weigh that stuff by looking at the draft positional quality and where they'll be picking and know what they're doing and all that. But even then you do want to be careful because it's that trade off of low cost/control vs win now.

The interesting thing the rest of the way is going to be Fowler. There are some good rush ends in this draft, but what will late first round look like? Might end up being something like corner there at 31 :D in terms of BPA. So if Fowler can come in and give us a boost how is that business side gonna line up? And is he a guy you trust where if you pay him he'll get right back to work next year? I'm trying to curb my excitement with him because I loved him coming out in the draft and my concern is he's missing something upstairs to not live up to so much potential. But damn he's a great fit for what Wade does. I know there's a way to go and all that, but it's interesting to think about.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"There is a tide in the affairs of men, which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune."

Strike while the iron is hot. That's what the Rams are doing.
"omitted, all the voyage of their life is bound in shallows and in miseries".
I immediately think of the Browns.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The interesting thing the rest of the way is going to be Fowler. There are some good rush ends in this draft, but what will late first round look like? Might end up being something like corner there at 31 :D in terms of BPA. So if Fowler can come in and give us a boost how is that business side gonna line up? And is he a guy you trust where if you pay him he'll get right back to work next year? I'm trying to curb my excitement with him because I loved him coming out in the draft and my concern is he's missing something upstairs to not live up to so much potential. But damn he's a great fit for what Wade does. I know there's a way to go and all that, but it's interesting to think about.

Good point about Fowler, and like @Ram65 pointed out they are taking some risks, and this one seems to be worthwhile. A 3rd isn't a big deal since two should be coming in comp picks, and a 5th is nearly a throwaway. And since those comp picks can be traded now it gives Snead ammo to move up, if he thinks he needs to do that in order get a guy he wants.

If Fowler works out and they get to extend him this will get added to the list of "Snead fleece" deals. And by the way I look at the trade up to get Goff as a fleecing. Imagine what the Titans think now..........they didn't really get much out of that and imagine if Goff was their QB not Mariota. Instead we got the star QB and they still have an underachiever.

I don't know a lot about him..........OK he's an edge rusher. Is he going to help shore up the run D at all?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Good point about Fowler, and like @Ram65 pointed out they are taking some risks, and this one seems to be worthwhile. A 3rd isn't a big deal since two should be coming in comp picks, and a 5th is nearly a throwaway. And since those comp picks can be traded now it gives Snead ammo to move up, if he thinks he needs to do that in order get a guy he wants.

If Fowler works out and they get to extend him this will get added to the list of "Snead fleece" deals. And by the way I look at the trade up to get Goff as a fleecing. Imagine what the Titans think now..........they didn't really get much out of that and imagine if Goff was their QB not Mariota. Instead we got the star QB and they still have an underachiever.

I don't know a lot about him..........OK he's an edge rusher. Is he going to help shore up the run D at all?

Yeah the Goff trade is going to be an interesting one to look back on. And teams at some point are going to realize that with a running QB you will have instant impact in terms of them being able to slow the rush due to their threat of running the ball, but in terms of longevity running QBs tend to suffer. Lot of them even suffer just in terms of adjusting to pocket play in general in year two when teams tend to start putting more on their plates, that's how it's gone at least with a lot of the more recent running QBs.

Fowler isn't great vs the run and I don't think he'll be in there on early downs until he knows more about the defense. But they may rush that simply because our other OLBs aren't distinguished on the contain either. Maybe by his second or third game we'll see him in there on earlier downs, I'm guessing vs Seattle for example.

Flint

Pro Bowler
NE has been operating this way for years and Belichek is a genius.
It plays well in the hyperbolic media though, “the Rams are gonna be in trouble when Goff comes due,” well the salary cap will continue to rise in the meantime and the contracts we’re signing now will be nothing special.

The hags fell apart because they drafted poorly not cuz they paid Wilson, the Rams have gotten good value from the picks they’ve had despite not having high round picks.

VARAM

Starter
Thanks guys. Great points made. The assumptions some reporters make about what the Rams are trying to achieve is absurd. Maybe they are lazy.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
t plays well in the hyperbolic media though, “the Rams are gonna be in trouble when Goff comes due,” well the salary cap will continue to rise in the meantime and the contracts we’re signing now will be nothing special.

The hags fell apart because they drafted poorly not cuz they paid Wilson, the Rams have gotten good value from the picks they’ve had despite not having high round picks.

A very good point. The cap will be up plenty so no real fear there. It'll take 30MIL though.

Another thing with SEA is they paid a handful of players, so they did it to themselves and the cap ramifications will linger too. They were hoping to keep that window open and weren't looking in the rear view mirror at the Rams.

Ram65

Legend
Not taking a thing away from McVay I think he is very, very similar to the good things about Mike Martz, but Snead reshaped this roster in a flash by NFL standards/timelines.

I think it's Les having the information about players and doing the research before the Rams commit. It is a two way street with communication between all parties about who they consider moving on with. McVay and Phillips have to communicate what they like in a player and even don't like. By now I think they have an agreed upon blueprint for the type of player they want. They seem to like players that are passionate about football, have football smarts, are team oriented and good citizens/human beings as Snead says. Marcus Peters may be the farthest outliner as far as being a little more about himself.

The Rams not signing Junior Galette was very interesting even though he fit a big need and they flew him for a look. I suspect from reading about to be more than a rotational player was a big factor in not signing him. His quotes seemed a little self centered. Weather true or not, it shows that the Rams will not just sign anyone that fits a need. Galette's edge abilities would have helped the Rams. That brings us to the Fowler signing. He must have passed the test as far as fitting the Rams player blueprint even with a little bagage. He plays a position of need and could be the edge rusher the Rams need. Snead does his thing with lowering the compensation to a conditional 3rd round pick in 2019 and a 5th rounder in 2020.

The signing of Fowler gives the Rams a chance to improve the edge pass rush this year. That is well worth the price for this year alone as the Rams are likely to make the playoffs being at 8-0 at the halfway mark of the season. They could be making a deep playoff run including the Super Bowl. Beyond this season Fowler's future will depend on how well he plays. He could stay a Ram or leave. There are no guarantees either way. He isn't considered at this time to be a high demand free agent that gets the Rams a 3rd round comp pick but, they could get some compensation if he leaves. He is another piece of the puzzle fitting the Rams player blueprint that could help the Rams win a Super Bowl this year and possible beyond. They Rams haven't sacrificed the future with the signing of Fowler.

Last edited:

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I think Kroenke and the Rams front office are banking on the salary cap to go up significantly once we start ponying up contracts for Goff, Kupp, J. Johnson, etc.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Nothing irks me more.

Rams will have at least six picks next year and probably seven after all the comp picks. Year after we're only missing a fifth rounder. We have made all of these moves and will essentially not be missing any picks.
I think we are experiencing a leading edge organization. The way snead is using draft picks, the way mcvay sat his starters in preseason, the way the rams run the offense and the way they train and rest certain players. It is successful and will be copied.