Rams NFL sack leaders

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Sure, some of this has been gained against softer opponents, but after 8 games, the Rams lead the NFL with sacks at 25. Minnesota his 21 with a game to play still today, so this could be temporary.
Still, for many of us, pass rush was a concern. I wouldn't say worry, but concern, after losing Fox, Ebukam and Brockers.
Fox has one sack. Same for Brock. Same for Samson.

There were at least a few people who felt Floyd was overpaid and I think we can agree that it doesn't look like it.
Obo is spunky, Lewis has been a bigger presence than expected, Jamir Jones looks like he's at least on par with Ebukam as a pass rusher.. it's been fun.

The pass rush has been a strength, overall... if we can get Williams and Rochell healthy, I think they'll have enough pieces in place to really start putting together some good games. Donte Deayon has been a complete surprise to me... a fun one. Really nice 4th corner.

Tano

Legend
Sure, some of this has been gained against softer opponents, but after 8 games, the Rams lead the NFL with sacks at 25. Minnesota his 21 with a game to play still today, so this could be temporary.
Still, for many of us, pass rush was a concern. I wouldn't say worry, but concern, after losing Fox, Ebukam and Brockers.

There were at least a few people who felt Floyd was overpaid and I think we can agree that it doesn't look like it.
Obo is spunky, Lewis has been a bigger presence than expected, Jamir Jones looks like he's at least on par with Ebukam as a pass rusher.. it's been fun.

The pass rush has been a strength, overall... if we can get Williams and Rochell healthy, I think they'll have enough pieces in place to really start putting together some good games. Donte Deayon has been a complete surprise to me... a fun one. Really nice 4th corner.
I like the way Donte tackles. He flipped that one receiver today.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Love that we paid Floyd and hes delivering for us. I was hoping it wouldn't bite us and thankfully, it's going great.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Love that we paid Floyd and hes delivering for us. I was hoping it wouldn't bite us and thankfully, it's going great.
I love that on top of performing well, he really seems to be a tone-setter on the team.
Very professional.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Decided to take a spin through some advanced stats. Overall I am happy with some aspects of our defense, most notably our Passer Rating Against which prior to this game was 3rd in the league at 80.4 which is damn good. Only New Orleans and Buffalo were better as of this morning. Also we have played some elite QBs in Brady, Murray, and Wilson.

BUT...

Strangely enough though our pass rush percentage is not commensurate with that. I expected to see a higher ranking, maybe 5th to 10th kind of range. But actually we are at:

1635719835416.png

Now granted hurries are so subjective and sometimes full of shit. However even considering that this makes me think maybe our defense is one of those units who will be absolutely fearsome if and when the rush is getting home and causing pressures.

In other words this group has a lot of room to jump and perform a ton better.

Btw stats provided by https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2021/opp.htm

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Decided to take a spin through some advanced stats. Overall I am happy with some aspects of our defense, most notably our Passer Rating Against which prior to this game was 3rd in the league at 80.4 which is damn good. Only New Orleans and Buffalo were better as of this morning. Also we have played some elite QBs in Brady, Murray, and Wilson.

BUT...

Strangely enough though our pass rush percentage is not commensurate with that. I expected to see a higher ranking, maybe 5th to 10th kind of range. But actually we are at:

View attachment 49412

Now granted hurries are so subjective and sometimes full of shit. However even considering that this makes me think maybe our defense is one of those units who will be absolutely fearsome if and when the rush is getting home and causing pressures.

In other words this group has a lot of room to jump and perform a ton better.

Btw stats provided by https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2021/opp.htm
When your starters are only playing 3/4 of a game in a quarter of the games stats like that don’t mean much. Today’s 4th quarter was ridiculous compared t on the first 3.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Deacon and Youngblood also got sacks against some softer opponents. I'm not making any excuses for the weak teams, every good team plays a few suck teams (*cough* cheatriots the past 15 years) and their stats still count. Rams deserve to get some more scrub teams on the schedule, they don't need to be all playoff teams for our guys to have a great game.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I think the concern was warranted. Nobody was predicting Hollins good play. After him we were looking at two injured players in Obo and Lewis. It didn’t instill confidence. But it’s great how it’s worked out so far this season.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I think the concern was warranted. Nobody was predicting Hollins good play. After him we were looking at two injured players in Obo and Lewis. It didn’t instill confidence. But it’s great how it’s worked out so far this season.

Jamir Jones also inspires confidence that he'll get better, and we still have Chris Garrett to consider. Even without Hollins, we've just been plowing forward and making shrewd signings like what we did with Hollins last year. That's an enormous credit to whomever does the NFL scouting; they've simply made so many good moves, and it helps that we're one of the better drafting and UDFA signing teams.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I thought Hollins would play and be solid. Why would he after his season in 2020 and with a full offseason to focus on OLB?
But, yeah.. counting on Obo and Lewis is always dicey.

Ram65

Legend
The sack numbers are nice.

I like to see more pressures. The coverage has been a little soft. The coverage in the flats gets weaker the longer the QB has to throw. When Donald gets contained the Rams don't see to get the pressures. The Rams have been playing the bend and don't break defense which the Cardinals took advantage of. Let's see how Obo, T Lew and Hollins (when he comes back) continue to develop. I think Rams will make a move to help the defense before the trade deadline. The defense still has time to gell in the second half of the season.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
The sack numbers are nice.

I like to see more pressures. The coverage has been a little soft. The coverage in the flats gets weaker the longer the QB has to throw. When Donald gets contained the Rams don't see to get the pressures. The Rams have been playing the bend and don't break defense which the Cardinals took advantage of. Let's see how Obo, T Lew and Hollins (when he comes back) continue to develop. I think Rams will make a move to help the defense before the trade deadline. The defense still has time to gell in the second half of the season.
They’re playing with their 4th & 5th corners, and lost their starting nose tackle this week.
The CBs will come back and that entire unit will look much better. Safeties are growing.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I thought Hollins would play and be solid. Why would he after his season in 2020 and with a full offseason to focus on OLB?
But, yeah.. counting on Obo and Lewis is always dicey.
Hollins was headed to the Broncos practice squad. He looked decent last year but I don’t get too excited about dvelopmental types too early in their career. There are not many London Fletchers showing up so early in their career.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Hollins was headed to the Broncos practice squad. He looked decent last year but I don’t get too excited about dvelopmental types too early in their career. There are not many London Fletchers showing up so early in their career.
He played more than 300 snaps for the Rams last year. Prototype size/athlete.. needed to get stronger and focus on a position.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
He played more than 300 snaps for the Rams last year. Prototype size/athlete.. needed to get stronger and focus on a position.
Like I said. I don’t get too excited about developmental players until I see it. Anything before that is projection. Hundreds of drafted players are projected every year at draft time.

Most including me were pleasantly surprised by the big step forward in Hollins play this season.

If you weren’t at all surprised by how much better Hollins has played this year, then you must be an incredible talent evaluator. Maybe you should be a GM.

I find in general fans get overly excited about late round picks and UDFAs. For instance it seemed that from the buzz Jordan Fuller would be a pro bowler this year. Hollins played well for a first year player but he wasn’t ‘that’ good.

Deac

Starter
Name
Sean
I think our overall pressure may be a little misleading due to offenses gameplanning for AD.

One stat I would like to see, is time from ball being snapped to ball being passed. I would guess our defense ranking would be near the top of the list for lowest amount of time. AD is best dealt with, with a very swift passing game, which would affect our overall pressure percentage, as they have less time to rush.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Like I said. I don’t get too excited about developmental players until I see it. Anything before that is projection. Hundreds of drafted players are projected every year at draft time.

Most including me were pleasantly surprised by the big step forward in Hollins play this season.

If you weren’t at all surprised by how much better Hollins has played this year, then you must be an incredible talent evaluator. Maybe you should be a GM.

I find in general fans get overly excited about late round picks and UDFAs. For instance it seemed that from the buzz Jordan Fuller would be a pro bowler this year. Hollins played well for a first year player but he wasn’t ‘that’ good.

Hollins was probably a tad better than I thought he would be, but I had him down as a solid starter coming into the year. He surpassed Ebukam last year and looked pretty good, showed some outstanding versatility by being able to cover.

This year he clearly improved his pass rush.

But I think fans have a tendency to do the opposite of what you're suggesting. It's like what fans did to Troy Hill prior to last season. Most were down on him even though he had shown to be a solid player for most of his tenure here. He scores three defensive TDs - two of which any DB in the world could have scored mind you - and suddenly fans are bemoaning the fact that we let him go.

Like Hill from 2017-2019, Hollins last year was a solid starter and good role player trending in the right direction. So while his play early this year was better than expected, it wasnt too far from what I thought he would be this year. And it's also worth noting - I'd expect that had he not gotten hurt, he would disappear for a few games at a time (from a pass rush perspective).

Flint

Pro Bowler
I love that on top of performing well, he really seems to be a tone-setter on the team.
Very professional.
You know who else? Kupp, doesn’t matter if it’s a td or a 5 yd out, toss the ball to the ref, get ready for the next play. No spiking no flexing no screaming.

Ram65

Legend
They’re playing with their 4th & 5th corners, and lost their starting nose tackle this week.
The CBs will come back and that entire unit will look much better. Safeties are growing.
I wasn't referring to today's game.