Rams new Uni - when?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Another reason I wish we'd launch the new uni's.. How many of us are a little gun shy to buy Ram's gear since we know a change is coming?

I finally broke down and bought a Goff jersey, but I am holding back from buying knowing I'll want the new stuff.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Goff is my QB. :yess:

Mine too, for better or worse even in a San Francisco Jersey.
mlbf_135992583_th_46.jpg

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Another reason I wish we'd launch the new uni's.. How many of us are a little gun shy to buy Ram's gear since we know a change is coming?

I finally broke down and bought a Goff jersey, but I am holding back from buying knowing I'll want the new stuff.

Same. I woulda bought some jerseys if we'd won with the blue and yellow and the Super Bowl logo, but after looking at the budget and rethinking it, I decided to wait until the rollout.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
From a marketing standpoint it's a gaffe.

Disagree.

As a fan, yeah, I want the new uni’s ASAP. But from Kroenke’s point of view, I think teasing out the uni release until 2020 makes sense $ wise.

New stadium, new unis... everything will feel “new.” All those stadium gawkers will be rushing to the concourse shops to buy all their new stuff.

Everything so far about the Rams move to LA has been a wild success— McVay, LASED, building a fan base— and teasing out the uni release is yet another savvy marketing move, IMHO.

Rams will be the “It” team of 2020. And the merch will fly off the shelves.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I want royal and yellow.

Me too.

But I want the “classic” colors. The supposedly “retro” unis aren’t how they actually were back in the 70’s and 80’s.

IMO the current retro colors are too garish. The blue isnt royal, it’s lighter and louder. And the yellow looks like it’s from a neon highlighter pen.

Here, check out a recent pic of Gurley, as compared to the strong, understated look of Jack Youngblood back in the day:

422A3AF8-7D66-4699-8C07-203B76FF5C29.jpeg

5E015768-0045-4A6C-8F9A-BFF0C1F3601C.jpeg

The unis back in the 70’s and 80’s would “pop” more on a sunny day... but the 2016-2018 retro “neon” unis are too much of a good thing IMHO.

Last edited:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It feels like we've had this discussion for years!

I think the blue and yellow throwbacks aren't that great, to be honest. Something about the colors looks dated.

But, we know they'll refresh it or its not exactly a new uniform and wouldnt inspire much.

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I didn't see an answer to this:

When did the Rams announce they were pushing the new uniform release back to 2020?

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2019/...fans-bandwagon-fans-yellow-blue-st-louis-relo

The new Los Angeles Rams uniforms will eventually mark the distinction between old school fans and “bandwagon fans”

The Rams are still over a year away from officially revealing a new color scheme and uniform design that will surely be a major sticking point with the fanbase.
By Joey The Jerk Feb 27, 2019, 5:35pm CST

upload_2019-2-28_21-23-24.jpeg

There is a common belief among die-hard Los Angeles Rams fans that once the new stadium opens in 2020, COO Kevin Demoff and the rest of the front office will do the right thing and make the official colors of the Rams yellow and blue in accordance with the color scheme they adopted beginning in 1973:

It’s been made abundantly clear by old school Rams fans that the uniforms that are currently used as the throwback uniform should be the default look of the team, with possibly some minor improvements (like the blue in the helmet matching the blue in the jersey).

Or some believe that a modern take on the yellow/blue will be the eventual look.

upload_2019-2-28_21-31-28.jpeg

In fact, Chief Operating Officer & Executive Vice President of Football Operations Kevin Demoff told season ticket holders at a breakfast last year that the team is heading towards the direction of going in this direction. Good news for old school fans, right?

But Demoff and the rest of the Rams’ front office don’t have a sparkling record in matters of transparency and honesty. Just ask Rams fans in St. Louis..

On the Turf Show Radio podcast this week, we discussed the fact that Rams Owner Stan Kroenke is standing to make an endless amount of dollars on this new stadium complex that he’s funding himself. Yet, for the money to roll in, Kroenke knows that the product needs to appeal to a newer, younger group of fans.

To put it bluntly — all those trendy football fans in LA that are walking around in Tom Brady jerseys need to guy a Jared Goff jersey in a couple years. Or the kids that will be buying Patrick Mahomesjerseys in the next few seasons need to be copping a Goff one instead.

The LA Rams are close to the basement when it comes to revenue, but near the top of the listwhen it comes to value as a team. That means that they have the potential to make a mint from fans since they’re in the huge LA market and they happen to have a winning team as long as they can build one of the smallest fan bases in the NFL into something more populous.

So, once they switch to their throwbacks full-time they’ll be all set, right?

Not exactly.

A Rams fan in his 50s or 60s could be very passionate about the throwback colors and uniforms, but a sixteen year-old kid in LA doesn’t have any connection to those colors for the most part. I expect Demoff and the design team at Nike to run extensive focus groups to come up with what they deem to be the coolest take that will change the identity of the franchise.

If I had to bet right now, the Rams will keep the helmet design, but everything else is fair game. Again, the Rams do not sell a lot of merchandise right now. And the fact that they have three different color schemes that they are selling in stores isn’t helping.

I like this design because it’s bare bones, but still has the horns on the jersey and the colors just work for me. I’m a blue/white guy because I have a problem with the color yellow for sports teams — I’m sorry, I’m a monster. But the heart wants what it wants.

upload_2019-2-28_21-34-5.png

Moving forward, the yellow and blue throwbacks will continue to be a large part of the Rams’ identity and the blueberry/gold will be wiped away like a bad dream.

And that means that once this awkward transition comes to an end, the new bandwagon fans will most likely accept whatever new design Nike throws out (if it’s cool, and that’s a big if...) and the old school fans will dig in their heels, as they should.

You’ll either be yellow/blue or whatever the new colors are. There will be two camps in the Rams fanbase. The Sharks or the Jets, the Montegues or the Caputlets.

So, even if the Fight for LA actually presents itself within the Rams’ fanbase, it might actually be a good thing. It could incite passion, discussion, and merchandise sales.

Which at the end of the day, is exactly what Demoff and company are hoping for.

Flint

Pro Bowler
From a marketing standpoint it's a gaffe. Coming off of (or leading up to) a trip to the SB is a better time to roll out new uni's than a stadium opening.

You couldn't ask for a better time other than winning a SB and rolling them out.

If they suffer from a SB hangover and miss the playoffs how will fans react to new gear then?

It is missed opportunity unless they get back to the SB so they have a shot to roll them out then.

Unfortunately, the way things worked out, I don’t know how many new fans came on board after the SB, Just the opposite in many cases judging by social media. There is still some sentiment that the Rams didn’t belong and got what they deserved.
I expect the team will still be competitive by the time the new stadium opens and that, along with the most elaborate stadium in the country will boost sales of Rams gear.
How can the Chargers not get crushed in all the hoopla though? I’m sure the Rams will be part of the opening week double header or MNF and the new unis. The horns will be all over and oh yeah the Chargers are here too.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Me too.

But I want the “classic” colors. The supposedly “retro” unis aren’t how they actually were back in the 70’s and 80’s.

IMO the current retro colors are too garish. The blue isnt royal, it’s lighter and louder. And the yellow looks like it’s from a neon highlighter pen.

Here, check out a recent pic of Gurley, as compared to the strong, understated look of Jack Youngblood back in the day:

View attachment 28496
View attachment 28497

The unis back in the 70’s and 80’s would “pop” more on a sunny day... but the 2016-2018 retro “neon” unis are too much of a good thing IMHO.
Did you considered the 80s uniforms to be throwbacks? I really like the blue and whites from the 60s the best even though that was before my time, but these are my second favorite. It's really weird, for a team with a solid history of excellent uniforms, the absolute worst was when they were in my city :)
jim-chris-everett6.jpg

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Blue and white, or blue and yellow. I can live with either. but for God sake get rid of that sickly gold.

MrRiceGuyRJ

Let's Make the Rams Great Again
Name
RJ
Id love a modern version of the old blue and whites. and keep the blue and yellow and similar for throwbacks and color rush types when we need to "pop"

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I still would love to see a dark navy blue with a reflective/burnished gold for the horns and numbers. But honestly I will come online with whatever they go with, just hope it's not clownish looking (Tampa Bay's recent uniform change being the perfect example of that to my eye at least).

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I don’t know the answer but a bunch of yawlz need to learn how to spell “color”.