Rams new MLB may be on the roster already

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
I have posted this many times over these past two months that IMO the ideal plan is to have both Ogletree & Barron on the field most of the time as the 2 OSLB'ers. Rams do not stay in their base 4-3-4 long in fact we all know that our DC may run more 4-2-5 than any other NFL team. To add to that Gregg plays a ton of 4-1-6 too.

Its not my belief that Fisher will move Tree into the MLB post. That part time post will either be played by a yet unknown veteran FA or yet better by Ayers/Hager/Lynch/Bates in 2016. Yes Snead will draft a MLB either on day two or three of this upcoming draft.

Thats what I was thinking this whole time. If Barron is moving to LB would the Rams even really run much 4-3 anyway. I really think this whole Ogeltree to MLB thing is a bit blown out of proportion.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Thats what I was thinking this whole time. If Barron is moving to LB would the Rams even really run much 4-3 anyway. I really think this whole Ogeltree to MLB thing is a bit blown out of proportion.

Lets just say for the sake of this subject that Snead & Fisher do perform the unbelievable win & land the big four secondary UFAs in McLeod/Jenkins/Johnson/Barron (its still a big question mark). This highly talented quartet rejoins the other talented remaining DB's McDonald/Gaines/Joiner/Alexander/Roberson...think :thinking:on that for a moment. That's one very seriously :love:talented secondary RIGHT? Would you not want to get all those DB play-makers on the field? The last thing on you mind in stopping all these talented QB's & their speed & abilities at running...last thing your concerned about is keeping your run stopping MLB'er on the field. You want far ranging side line to sideline Lbers who can make a play and you get that with Tree & Mark.

Its a passing league guys like it or not. I do think that veteran NFL coaches like Fisher & Gregg know defenses & know what direction & trends of the NFL defenses must go to contend with these new offenses. I believe that JF/GW are ahead of the trend here & at least with the defense are going where they need to go....now the opposite in ongoing with the offense.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Ogletree, Ayers & Barron and then take Ayers out on passing downs this is how it's going to play out...Key is to have your best players on the field the majority of the time and IMO Ogletree & Barron trump the combination of Laurinaitis & Ogletree.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Move down and get another good pick? How does Reggie Ragland grab ya?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Ogletree, Ayers & Barron and then take Ayers out on passing downs this is how it's going to play out...Key is to have your best players on the field the majority of the time and IMO Ogletree & Barron trump the combination of Laurinaitis & Ogletree.

You mentioning Akeem Ayers above .....Ayers is a Jack knife defensive player type. Ayers has played inside for the Pats & in addition played strong side DE for them too in the in last yrs SB. If the Rams have a emergency need @ Chris Long & William Hayes DE post Ayers has enough size to play there as well. I really doubt we see much of a prototype MLB'er in this defense this season.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Not exactly a prototype MLB but a guy who can play that role and be versatile and athletic enough to move around - and a guy who can thump you just for good measure - which is why I'm so high on a guy like Antonio Morrison

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
You could have Tree man the middle and have Barron play WLB and draft a guy like Deion Jones or Eric Stiker in the 4th or 6th for depth. You'd still have Hager as MLB depth and who knows who wants to come here as a UFA with a job opening behind a really strong front four. I feel like like it will be addition by subtraction at this point, if they hit on a real player in the middle this defense can get to top 10 and maybe more.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ideally you want to get better though, not stay the same

We are getting better. Ogletree is far more athletic and better in coverage. Especially when compared to 2015 Laurinaitis.

4-3 teams are no longer employing thumpers in the middle in today's NFL (for the most part). Teams want athletes. They want range. They want coverage skills. The Rams are no different. The Ogletree + Barron combo gives the Rams a lot of speed, range, and coverage skills. And I don't see that combo being deficient vs. the run.

Debacled

Starter
I never realized watching every Rams game that JL55 was such a hall of fame player that he's being made out to be. He was an adequate MLB at best from what I saw, I don't think it'll be hard to replace him at all. Heck if not Ogletree his replacement might be on the roster in Hager.

And if the defense just falls apart would your opinion of that change?

JL was never a flashy player. He did his job and was fantastic when it came to managing that defense from the field and calling adjustments. The man missed what...like 21 snaps? the ENTIRE time he was with the team.

Don't think Ogletree is the answer at MLB and Hager hasn't really done anything to make me any less concerned about the position. With what this team expects from the MLB (considering how often they blitz) having someone like Ogletree who struggles with play recognition and shedding blocks in the middle could turn out to be a disaster.

I liked what I saw from Barron in Ogletrees absence, and it would be disappointing to lose him or have to put one of those two on the sideline because they both played very well at the position. I just don't think Ogletree is the MLB fix

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Whoever it is they wouldn't of just cut jl without having a plan in place. Will be interesting to see what direction they take.

diggity

Rookie
Ogletree's speed makes him valuable outside. He's fun to watch. Bottling him up in the middle? J.M.H.O., but the RAMS should look for one...if one is not on the team already.
GO RAMS!!!!!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And if the defense just falls apart would your opinion of that change?

JL was never a flashy player. He did his job and was fantastic when it came to managing that defense from the field and calling adjustments. The man missed what...like 21 snaps? the ENTIRE time he was with the team.

Don't think Ogletree is the answer at MLB and Hager hasn't really done anything to make me any less concerned about the position. With what this team expects from the MLB (considering how often they blitz) having someone like Ogletree who struggles with play recognition and shedding blocks in the middle could turn out to be a disaster.

I liked what I saw from Barron in Ogletrees absence, and it would be disappointing to lose him or have to put one of those two on the sideline because they both played very well at the position. I just don't think Ogletree is the MLB fix

Laurinaitis was worse than Ogletree at shedding blocks so we're not losing anything there. And the claim that Ogletree struggles with play recognition seems dated to me. Ogletree was our leading tackler by a significant margin prior to his injury. He had 42 tackles in the first 4 games compared to Laurinaitis having 29 tackles. And when you watch the film, he wasn't accruing meaningless tackles. His play recognition skills have improved markedly each year...which isn't surprising considering he's a young player. Ogletree is still only 24 years old.

A55VA6

Legend
Linebackers in todays NFL are slightly bigger than most safeties. I think Tree can make a nice transition to MLB.

Kind of funny, a couple months ago on Madden 16 I released JL and moved Ogletree to MLB.. lol

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Can ogletree shed blocks?
This - he's a finesse guy designed to fly around making plays and spying the QB - as he was doing before he got hurt.

Do you move him inside and risk weakening us at two positions? I'd be happier with us drafting the mlb replacement or signing a guy personally - or even rolling with Hager or Bates. Keep your best players in their best positions.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
AO played so much faster last year, it was ridick. I think, and have for some time, thought, he could play the middle. Can he shed blocks???? The best MLB's beat the guards to the hole. AO, was showing that he is a a beast. I will miss JL55's class, and leadership, but I am excited about the future of the Rams linebackers.....speed, and versatility.

On a side note, the LB's we brought in last year, Hagar and Lynch, were exciting prospects, and Bates played well, in his limited time.

MarkMyWords

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Mark
Putting Tree in the middle makes it that much more important to have decent run stuffing DT's. I believe Brockers has one more year left on his contract so maybe now is the time to lock him up long term too.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
In the other MLB thread I said that maybe they could play Barron at MLB similarly to Arizona playing a lighter safety type in Buchanon in the middle. I never thought Ogletree was that instinctual of a LBer to be calling the Defense. Barron seems to have the game down. But, I guess that Barron could call it from the OLB spot just as easily.