Rams new MLB may be on the roster already

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They better have a good backup. JL's ability to stay in the lineup was amazing, even if it hurt his stats this season with the arm injury he played through. Ogletree already has missed many times more time than JL has.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
They better have a good backup. JL's ability to stay in the lineup was amazing, even if it hurt his stats this season with the arm injury he played through. Ogletree already has missed many times more time than JL has.

Ogletree was rolled up on. Prior to that; he played in all games.

I don't worry about him with injury more than any other player.

Can he handle the middle? That's the bigger question.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Can ogletree shed blocks?

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Two things if they make this move. AO needs to learn to "read and diagnose" a little better. He tends to get fooled a bit on stuff like play action and such. He also better learn better tackling form. Even back into his college career, Alec tends to like to tackle high ( up around the shoulder pads and head area) and "wrestle" the ball carrier down. NOT good form for ANY LB, but particularly bad for the guy in the middle.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Can ogletree shed blocks?

Two things if they make this move. AO needs to learn to "read and diagnose" a little better. He tends to get fooled a bit on stuff like play action and such. He also better learn better tackling form. Even back into his college career, Alec tends to like to tackle high ( up around the shoulder pads and head area) and "wrestle" the ball carrier down. NOT good form for ANY LB, but particularly bad for the guy in the middle.

These two quotes are why this makes me nervous

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I don't like this idea. He's too skinny to play MLB. You need a burley dude in there to take on blockers. Alec doesn't do that well. I would much prefer Akeem Ayers to move to MLB since that was his position on the Patriots.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
No matter what they do with AO .. they NEED to replace JL in this draft. There may be some offensive schemes and situations that playing the L/R scheme they seem to like with AO and MB ... but there are also times that we are going to need a TRUE MLB and all three on the filed in traditional roles. The Rams should not "pigeon hole" or weaken themselves by trying to be too cute and too in love with their own scheme to think that it would be the answer for every situation/game plan. The NFL is too good at identifying your weakness and attacking it.

fearsomefour

Legend
I don't care for the concept of moving Olgetree to MLB. Sure, he would be maybe the most athletic MLB....but like others have said, he has trouble getting off blocks and has trouble reading and reacting. There is more to the position (like C) than just athleticism.
Where JL may be missed is his running of the D and making adjustments. We will see. It would not surprise me if someone else is brought in as well.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
I think cutting JL was a huge mistake for many of the reasons you guys have mentioned. Long and especially Cook I can see but JL another blunder imo.

Ants

Starter
I don't like the idea either. I mean, if we had a legit run-stopping type to mix in, I'd be ok with it.
I guess they figure success will depend more on the scheme and not so much on who plays where. :thinking:

AllGasNoBrakes

Air Traffic Controller
Maybe bring in a guy like Tulloch. Fisher drafted him so there are ties there. He's a guy who can get a defense organized and diagnose plays quickly. He's older but we spend a lot of time in the 4-2-5 which will give him plays off.

If he comes cheap or on a short term deal it would give more time to draft and develop future MLB.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I don't like the idea either. I mean, if we had a legit run-stopping type to mix in, I'd be ok with it.
I guess they figure success will depend more on the scheme and not so much on who plays where. :thinking:
It is the one thing that I don't like about the "Fisher regime" . They tend to think they can "outsmart" everyone. Something works for them then all of a sudden, they think they re-invented the wheel and the cure. Like the "pound the ball" theory. ... although I do agree that a great running game is paramount for long term success (always has been), I also think you need to make sure you can be more balanced ... and I think Fisher's philosophy on "balance" is still a bit weighted to one side. They can be the same way on defense with the playing deep coverage and the "bend but don't break" mentality. Sometimes you NEED to not just blitz all the time and play that coverage. Sometimes you need to just stand your ground and don't give an inch.
I know we have had some great success with stopping teams inside the Red zone .... but we also have given teams too many big play shots from way outside the RZ. It's a double edge sword. I'd like to have the ability to do both. And I'd like to have that run thumper on our team ... even IF he is only on the field for two downs.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
I like the idea of Ogletree at MLB, Barron at WLB and Ayers SLB. In todays NFL you rarely see the big thumper playing in the middle especially in 4-3 where and MLB has to drop in the middle zone, make more plays sideline to sideline, and play all 3 downs. I believe Tree can excel in those aspects of the game. I do have some concerns about his ability to shed blocks, but when you have Donald consistently demanding double teams and Brockers absorbing them you give Ogltree a little more protection. My Biggest concern is the mental aspect of the game, but the best way to improve there is with more reps. Lets not forget Ogletree came into college as a safety. All in all i think we will be fine and this will improve the overall speed of the defense

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I have posted this many times over these past two months that IMO the ideal plan is to have both Ogletree & Barron on the field most of the time as the 2 OSLB'ers. Rams do not stay in their base 4-3-4 long in fact we all know that our DC may run more 4-2-5 than any other NFL team. To add to that Gregg plays a ton of 4-1-6 too.

Its not my belief that Fisher will move Tree into the MLB post. That part time post will either be played by a yet unknown veteran FA or yet better by Ayers/Hager/Lynch/Bates in 2016. Yes Snead will draft a MLB either on day two or three of this upcoming draft.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I never realized watching every Rams game that JL55 was such a hall of fame player that he's being made out to be. He was an adequate MLB at best from what I saw, I don't think it'll be hard to replace him at all. Heck if not Ogletree his replacement might be on the roster in Hager.