Rams new MLB may be on the roster already

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Putting Tree in the middle makes it that much more important to have decent run stuffing DT's. I believe Brockers has one more year left on his contract so maybe now is the time to lock him up long term too.

I think the penetration of the Dline should be disruptive enough to quell the middle run game. JL was never a thumper inside, instead he was a chaser. Teams seem to have more success against the Ramson the edge and that is why Fisher loves hard hitting corners and safeties.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The fans who didn't seem to like JL will come to miss his being on the field every down and for all the job can't shed blocks wait till we have to deal with Olgetree in the middle missing reads.. he still have a lot to learn we have to remember that he haven't even been playing linebacker that long.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
If you look at the top 2 4-3 defenses in the league their MLBs are Keuchly and Bobby Wagner both guys aren't thumpers and are the same size if not smaller than Tree. Tree is just as athletic as those guys. This move makes the Rams faster and more athletic the way most defenses in the league are moving. With Brockers and Donald playing in front of him he will be one of the better protected LBs in the league and his athleticism will be on full display.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Excellent idea...My only concern is Barron at WLB for 16 games....
Alec Ogletree was a beast at middle

http://draftbreakdown.com/?s=Alec+Ogletree

Love this tape. Look at Tree strike fat Lacey in the hole at 3:41 in a goal line situation and stop his momentum. Alot of people have complained about his ability to shed blocks, but I thought he did pretty good in that regard against Alabama's physical pro style O-line with 4 or 5 guys who got drafted. IMO his biggest problem was and at times still is false steps which comes with the lack of experience playing LB. His combination of long arms and closing speed simply outstanding.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
@StealYoGurley

Seems like there are 30 NFL players in this game...yeah he missed a few tackles...Lacey is running hard & slim...and TJ Yeldon will be a breakout star in Jacksonville.....I actually like both of Georgia safeties....and really liked Williams after he ran a 4.4 at the combine....

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Hate this idea.

Love AO on the outside running free and continuing to growin the roll he had before missing most of this season.

I don't think he can get back to where he was before the injury in time for the season to start. I don't think he has the bulk to play MLB he was a safety a few years ago and I don't like not going after a bonafide stud to plug into the middle of this defense. They already had game where they were unable to stop the running game. AO in the middle is going to make the worse not better.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Let's not get too wrapped up in the whole Mike label. The Rams may technically run a 4-3, but more realistically, they like to run a kind of nickel hybrid that's a 4-2-1-4 where the SS/OLB hybrid is asked to do a tone of different things depending on the offense, from cover TEs to rush the passer to run support. It's the very flexible nature of this role which allows Williams to disguise his looks and make the D think he's in a typical 4-3 set when in reality he's in a nickel set as soon as the ball is snapped, the QB is seeing something he didn't expect.

It's fine to have Tree as the Mike. Or if Hager picks it up, maybe he becomes a 2 down player with Tree being the QB of the D. I dunno. Of all the things facing this team going forward, I'm really not worried about this.