Rams need to Draft Lineman

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OhioRam

Rookie
Love for the rams to go OT in the first round and pick up a OG somewere in round 2 to 4.
I like the young Wr's we have so maybe pick up another Cb with good speed and a
backup rb and qb.
Maybe go OT and DT with first two picks.
I am also open for a trade down.

duckhunter

Starter
We still have some weak spots for sure. Safety and QB may be our weakest positions. If Killer keeps tearing it up I may have to eat my words about QBs. I love that he's going downfield rather than that dink and dunk crap.

Of the safeties on our roster that I like there is McLeod and then there is McLeod. Maybe we see Davis a little sometime to see if he can contribute.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Me: OL, S, and CB

If we can get some help in FA, great. Otherwise I go oline high and often in the next draft.

OhioRam

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Lol I am not very high on KC Tavon had to slow down and wait on that deep ball which was about 30 to 35 yards.
He has hit Wr's that were wide open thanks to the rams new found running game.
He has missed a lot of throws downfield so the big plays came from run after the catch.
Look like the rams didn't trust him at all sunday in the 2nd half and keep trying to run the ball even when the
colts took it away in the 2nd half before the long run of Benny.

OhioRam

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I want the rams to look for Safety in a free agent a Major Wright of the bears or Byrd from the bills.
Even T,J.Ward come the browns maybe.

F. Mulder

Starter
Personally I like them getting a FA/Vet Safety to pair with McDonald and use McCleod as a 3rd Safety and someone who can play slot DB in a pinch. I'm not as high on McCleod as others. I thought Stewart got a bit of a raw deal last year but he has shown me less than anything this year. Start Jenkins and Johnson and put McCleod in Finnegan's role and cut Finnegan.

They need at least 2-3 new OL. Saffold won't be back and one of the replacements will be Jones. Lots of uncertainty with both Guards and a 3rd Tackle. I think they get one more year out of Wells and then slide Jones to center after next year. I hope they get a Guard and Tackle somewhere in the draft.

F. Mulder

Starter
BTW, Clemens has been gutsy but to me he is a pure try-hard guy with limited upside. Get someone who could play well for long stretches and develop. Qb is definitely on the draft board for me.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Personally I like them getting a FA/Vet Safety to pair with McDonald and use McCleod as a 3rd Safety and someone who can play slot DB in a pinch. I'm not as high on McCleod as others. I thought Stewart got a bit of a raw deal last year but he has shown me less than anything this year. Start Jenkins and Johnson and put McCleod in Finnegan's role and cut Finnegan.

They need at least 2-3 new OL. Saffold won't be back and one of the replacements will be Jones. Lots of uncertainty with both Guards and a 3rd Tackle. I think they get one more year out of Wells and then slide Jones to center after next year. I hope they get a Guard and Tackle somewhere in the draft.

It's hard to argue with that.

I like that we have Brent Jones "tucked away"... and I agree Wells is likely back. The glaring need, as you've said, is both guards and 3rd tackle.

EDIT: Oh, and... cutting Finnegan only saves $4M against the cap. Harvey Dahl same thing; $4M. ... not much savings. Then again, if I'm the owner of this team, cutting Finnegan saves me $9M in base and roster bonus. That's significant.

Last edited by a moderator:

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I don't think we will be high enough to get Matthews. So I don't think they will draft an OT in the first round.

We really need interior OL help. But I expect that to happen in the 2nd and 3rd round, not 1st.

Demoff has said FA WRs rarely pay off, so I think they will draft one high again. And a CB or FS high as well if the value is there.

V3

Hall of Fame
Really don't get all the requests for an OT in the first. They aren't getting rid of Long any time soon and I refuse to take a RT in the first. Something tells me the Rams won't take a RT in the first, either. Heck, I don't see them taking any OLineman in the first.

I'm sticking with CB, S, and/or WR in the first. I wouldn't mind an OG or RT in the 2nd, though.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I agree an OT and OG should be selected in 2014. I want another RB, QB, LB, and CB. If Finnegan is still around, move him to S. I'd like to see us garner a couple extra picks with the 1st rounders again if THE guy isn't staring us in the face.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams
Love for the rams to go OT in the first round and pick up a OG somewere in round 2 to 4.
I like the young Wr's we have so maybe pick up another Cb with good speed and a
backup rb and qb.
Maybe go OT and DT with first two picks.
I am also open for a trade down.

In 2014 Rams have two starters who will be UFA's ORG Saffold & ORG Williams. Rams top reserve OG the last two yrs Shelley Smith is also have a Restricted Free Agent. In addition to those three Rams main top reserve OC/OG Tim Barnes is a Exclusive Rights Free Agent, this should be a easy resign. Rams will not have to worry about starting ORT Barksdale or ORG Harvey Dahl & back up OT Mike Persons until 2015 all three will be UFA's.

Rams could go with Shelley Smith as the starting OLG in 2014 @ a lower rate than the 1.38 mil that Chris Williams cost. I think Shelley is already better than Chris Williams. I have seen enough of CW to desire a no repeat. Replacing Saffold will be the real hard matter. Saffold playing costs is very small ...a little under 900 k this season. Last yr the Rams paid 3.7 million for Swing OT Wayne Hunter. This Swing OT should be the top main focus as far as OL'ers in the draft. Rams do have some OL'ers who have played OT in college under contract in Barrett Jones & Mike Persons..plus they have practice squad OT Sean Hooey. I not sure how any of those three would do if they had to start for Jake Long. Ideally both Jones & Persons would be better working in the interior OL.

Another element that will figure into this matter is the need for cap relief. My favorite OL'er Harvey Dahl could be a bonified legit 4 million $$ cap casualty. Replacing both starting OG's will be hard to overcome. Fact is Rams have four current OL'ers that have contract ending this season. So it would be a good ideal to get half of that amount in this upcoming 2014 draft.

The top OT's will go real fast just like in 2013 draft. If you need a OT & most teams need one or two or three (and the Rams sure do) you will have to reach a bit in any of the 7 rounds. Finding a prospect that can Swing to both OT's is even harder. If it were me I would be looking for several OT's in the draft & have one shift inside like Dahl, Saffold & Williams have done if needed.

Rams will also have high needs in the secondary too. CB/Nickel Cortland Finnegan is awful & starting Safety Darian Stewart's contract concludes. So its a easy read to say a CB & Safety. But the protection of Sam Bradford is got to be the priority.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Geez. So you expect 4 of our O-linemen to be gone? I don't quite see it that way.
And Jones isn't starting because he's likely being groomed to be the backup center.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I don't think we will be high enough to get Matthews. So I don't think they will draft an OT in the first round.

We really need interior OL help. But I expect that to happen in the 2nd and 3rd round, not 1st.

Demoff has said FA WRs rarely pay off, so I think they will draft one high again. And a CB or FS high as well if the value is there.
Really don't get all the requests for an OT in the first. They aren't getting rid of Long any time soon and I refuse to take a RT in the first. Something tells me the Rams won't take a RT in the first, either. Heck, I don't see them taking any OLineman in the first.

I'm sticking with CB, S, and/or WR in the first. I wouldn't mind an OG or RT in the 2nd, though.

Yup.

Right now this team has better personnel than many teams including the Colts. The Rams really don't need a whole lot more talent to be a playoff team. Help in the secondary and on the OL are the biggest "needs", but I think it's smart to add playmakers in the first round regardless of position. I wouldn't pass on an impact WR1. They are gold in today's NFL. So I would take a WR over an OT, especially since the Rams won't have a shot at Matthews. I would also consider a TE if there was a great one.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
When I said he's being groomed to be the backup center, I meant the replacement center. I just find it kinda premature to suggest he's not good enough to play when he was just drafted this year and missed most of training camp. Then again, Rams Nation is kinda quick with the axe this year, so...

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

flv ...It could be that he had surgery to his left foot earlier this 2013. Barrett Jones suffered this serious foot injury in the first quarter of the SEC Championship game but played the entire game so well that his teammates did not even know he had been injured. Even with the injury, in the BCS Championship game 4 weeks later, Jones handled Notre Dame nose tackle Louis Nix III mostly alone. Barrett had a Lisfranc injury of the left foot with many torn ligaments.

IMO Barrett will be a outstanding reserve OL'er for Fisher & Boudreau in 2014. Barrett has played all five of the OL position in college. Rams have many good reserves like 4 yr vet Saffold, 3rd yr vet Shelley Smith & 2 yr vet in Tim Barnes...rookie Ol'er who missed OTA's mini camp & most of training camp will be far behind the above three reserve OL'ers.