Rams need to Draft Lineman

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think the best medicine for this offense is a fortress along the OL.

1) Protect Bradford
2) Open the running game for Stacy
3) Allow the current WR time to get open

I draft oline (or pursue FA's) this offseason as priority #1.

V3

Hall of Fame
Yup.

Right now this team has better personnel than many teams including the Colts. The Rams really don't need a whole lot more talent to be a playoff team. Help in the secondary and on the OL are the biggest "needs", but I think it's smart to add playmakers in the first round regardless of position. I wouldn't pass on an impact WR1. They are gold in today's NFL. So I would take a WR over an OT, especially since the Rams won't have a shot at Matthews. I would also consider a TE if there was a great one.

Good call on TE. I actually wanted Eifert last year. Cook isn't a TE, IMO. Way too inconsistent. Not sure about effort, also.

V3

Hall of Fame
I think the best medicine for this offense is a fortress along the OL.

1) Protect Bradford
2) Open the running game for Stacy
3) Allow the current WR time to get open

I draft oline (or pursue FA's) this offseason as priority #1.

I'm not sure pass-pro has been a big issue except for a couple of bad games.

jjab360

Legend
A lot of people seem to think that everybody but Long is going to be replaced on the O-line next year. I strongly disagree, I think our O-line has performed admirably this year, and I think the only new starter we see next season will be at LG and maybe RG depending on how Dahl finishes the season. OT is just fine with Long and Barksdale starting, but we could use a new swing tackle. Wells will also stick at C until Jones or Barnes is ready to take over, but that may be a while from now.

Cyril Richardson, Gabe Jackson, and Xavier Su'a-Filo are all great options at OG in the mid-late first or second round.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
A lot of people seem to think that everybody but Long is going to be replaced on the O-line next year. I strongly disagree, I think our O-line has performed admirably this year, and I think the only new starter we see next season will be at LG and maybe RG depending on how Dahl finishes the season. OT is just fine with Long and Barksdale starting, but we could use a new swing tackle. Wells will also stick at C until Jones or Barnes is ready to take over, but that may be a while from now.

Cyril Richardson, Gabe Jackson, and Xavier Su'a-Filo are all great options at OG in the mid-late first or second round.

Agreed. Long, Barksdale, and Wells return.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dahl makes the cut... but I don't think he will if the draft falls in our favor.

V3

Hall of Fame

Tend to agree with this. I think they'll get at least one new OG and if they want to save some cap space, they'll let go of Wells and put Jones in there. If they don't trust Jones yet, they'll keep Wells.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
CB, Tackle ( able to play LT), Safety, LB, Guard.
A players draft value will determine the order. Can't over draft for need. A fourth rounder in this group maybe a starter

I'm all for drafting a backup QB, but in late rounds.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Here's what the Rams should have available with little effort in the 2014 OTA's:

#1-OC Scott Wells 11 yr
#2-OC/OG Tim Barnes 3rd yr ERFA
#3-OC/OG Barrett Jones 2nd yr
#4-OG Shelley Smith 5yr RFA
#5-ORG/ORT Harvey Dahl 8yr
#6-OG/OT Mike Persons 4yr
#7-OG/ORT Brandon Washington 2nd yr
#8-OT Sean Hooey 1st yr
#9-OLT Jake Long 7th yr
#10-ORT Joe Barksdale 4th yr

None of the five estimated Ram reserves have any NFL starts. Only OC/OG Tim Barnes has NFL game experience & has played in 25 Ram games. You could be blind and see that the OT status is super thin. Guess you could use Harvey Dahl as a ORT if needed.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Here's what the Rams should have available with little effort in the 2014 OTA's:

#1-OC Scott Wells 11 yr
#8-OT Sean Hooey 1st yr
#9-OLT Jake Long 7th yr

None of the five estimated Ram reserves have any NFL starts. Only OC/OG Tim Barnes has NFL game experience & has played in 25 Ram games. You could be blind and see that the OT status is super thin. Guess you could use Harvey Dahl as a ORT if needed.
I've noticed you have a serious handle on O-line stuff. Is that your passion, or do you have some experience?

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Yup.

Right now this team has better personnel than many teams including the Colts. The Rams really don't need a whole lot more talent to be a playoff team. Help in the secondary and on the OL are the biggest "needs", but I think it's smart to add playmakers in the first round regardless of position. I wouldn't pass on an impact WR1. They are gold in today's NFL. So I would take a WR over an OT, especially since the Rams won't have a shot at Matthews. I would also consider a TE if there was a great one.

Like Eric Ebron from UNC?! I'd take him mid 1st round without hesitation and attempt to work a trade with J. Cook.

fearsomefour

Legend
It's hard to argue with that.

I like that we have Brent Jones "tucked away"... and I agree Wells is likely back. The glaring need, as you've said, is both guards and 3rd tackle.

EDIT: Oh, and... cutting Finnegan only saves $4M against the cap. Harvey Dahl same thing; $4M. ... not much savings. Then again, if I'm the owner of this team, cutting Finnegan saves me $9M in base and roster bonus. That's significant.

I still like the idea of moving Finnegan to S. His attitude and experience could certainly help a young group of S. With McDonald, McLeod, Finnigan and who ever the fourth S is that is relatively deep. I would like to see some FA money go to adding a vet running back (Michael Bush for example) and CBs. A couple of solid, cover CBs for depth. Then use one of our first round picks on CB. That would give us more depth at S, much more depth at CB and hopefully three starting level guys (JJ, Johnson, first rounder).
By bringing in a solid vet RB, doesnt have to be a big name by any means, like a Bush it gives the Rams a safety net. Clearly Stacy is the starter. A vet than cat run, catch and most importantly block give the team a safety net if they need a guy to be in for the majority of snaps for several games without sacrificing blocking. So, Stacy as the starter Bush (or someone like him) as the vet back up, Richardson as a spot guy and Cunningham as your fourth.
As for the Oline, all sort of ways this could go. I do not see anyway Wells is let go. He has been playing well of late and C is only behind LT as far as importance to the Oline. With no proven depth, he stays. Dahl could be gone along with Williams and Saffold. If Saffold is willing to move to RG then the money being spent on Dahl/Williams could be moved over to Roger. Then the team would only have to fill the LG spot. I say this NOT as a joke. I would consider trading for Incognito. I dont care about this nonsense in Miami....I believe it is 95% nonsense. You could put conditions in his contract regarding social media/behavior issues ect. Being able to plant him at LG (Pro Bowler last year if I am not mistaken) between Long and Wells would be a major upgrade and you could certainly get him on the cheap at this point I would think. All of that said, I still think the Rams need to find a T early in the draft. I do like our inside depth overall, Jones certainly comes with the college resume' but hasnt seen the field, Smith has played well this year and Barnes has been solid and offers depth at all three inside positions.
For the Draft, I go DT, CB in the first round, OT after that. FA, CBs and a vet RB. Being able or wanting to bring in a slew of FA just doesnt seem realistic to me. Also, dumping Wells, Dahl, Williams and Saffold doesnt seem practicle to me either. Dahl maybe, Saffold...we probably dont have a choice, Langford, possible....Finnigan....who knows, only saves 4 vs the cap. I would rather see if he brings leadership and value to the S spots.

fearsomefour

Legend

#1-OC Scott Wells 11 yr
#8-OT Sean Hooey 1st yr
#9-OLT Jake Long 7th yr

I agree that Smith and Barnes should be resigned. Smith has outplayed Williams (you were right about Smith, I was right about Barksdale....so there!!). Long/Smith/Wells/Dahl/Barksdale while not exciting does not spell disaster like some of the other suggestions.....like getting rid of almost everyone. The line has sort of morphed into a power blocking line. With guys like Wells, Dahl and Long this makes sense....certainly not a zone blocking line or a line that is going to have a lot of success running stretch run plays. Good on Schott for realizing this and dumping the stretch runs for the most part.
I am interested to see what Persons brings to the table.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I think it makes all the sense in the world that we draft OLine in 2014. As we all know this is the youngest roster in the league. The OLine is the only area where we're not young.

I agree with someone who said that this roster isn't as talent-depleted as some may think. It's just green,unseasoned and incomplete. I expect some changes on our OLine,offensive backfield and in the secondary in 2014...not much else.