Rams Must Find Offense from Foles After the Bye

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams Must Find Offense from Foles After the Bye

Posted by: Brandt Dolce

http://www.101sports.com/2015/10/16/rams-must-find-offense-foles-bye/

After starting the season 2-3, the St. Louis Rams’ bye week comes at a good time for a team with obvious areas for improvement.
nick foles-2

Foles has a QB rating of 77.6 so far in 2015.

After a thrilling overtime win against Seattle in week one, the Rams have sputtered, going 1-3, with their lone victory being an upset over the Arizona Cardinals on the road.

The Rams are 30th in the NFL in points per game, at just 16.8 per contest.

Running back Todd Gurley’s emergence as a legitimate NFL-caliber workhorse is a positive sign, but even with his production, the club hasn’t been able to turn those yards into points.

Gurley has 55 carries for 314 yards (5.7 per attempt) in his rookie campaign. In his debut against Pittsburgh, the back struggled to find a rhythm with limited action on six carries, totaling nine yards.

At Arizona, as the feature back, Gurley exploded for 146 yards on 19 attempts. The 7.7 yards a clip showcased the kind of talent the Rams hoped for in selecting Gurley 10th overall in the NFL Draft last spring. He took over the second half, especially the fourth quarter.

Gurley once again made hay on the Frozen Tundra. For a second consecutive week, he broke a carry for more than 50 yards, and had 159 yards on 30 attempts.

To say the passing game waned despite Gurley’s production would be an understatement.

Nick Foles had his worst game as the Rams’ quarterback, going 11-30 for 141 yards, with one touchdown and four interceptions. One of the picks came back for a touchdown.

The Rams fell 24-10, and Greg Zuerlein missed three field goals. Not a good Sunday.

The Rams have an opportunity to get back to .500 and beyond after the bye

St. Louis’ schedule enters a soft stage after the bye, with the Cleveland Browns and San Francisco 49ers coming to the Dome in consecutive weeks.

However, Jeff Fisher doesn’t buy that narrative.

After the initial five contests, the Rams’ coach isn’t willing to admit those games presented the toughest part of the team’s schedule.

“We can make a case that the record should be better than it is.” Fisher said. “It’s where it is right now, and we have to focus on the next opponent.”

Long-time NFL head coach Bill Parcells used to put a team’s record into perspective frequently when asked if he thought his team was better, or perhaps worse, than their record indicated, saying “You are what your record says you are.”

And so go the Rams.

It’s difficult to call a week seven game a “must win”, but it’s as close to that as it can be at this stage. For a reasonable chance to make the playoffs, the Rams would need to finish 9-7, meaning St. Louis would need to finish the season at 7-4 to reach that goal.

With road games remaining at Seattle, Baltimore, and Cincinnati, the next two home games are crucial.

This is the Rams, however, so counting those road games as losses or the next two home games as wins is hardly a certainty.

If Foles continues to struggle with his new team and offense, any opponent can beat St. Louis, despite the defense playing to its capability.

Winning games by scoring 12.5 points per contest (the average of the Rams’ last four games) is a near impossibility, unless you’re the Pittsburgh Steelers, and you’re playing the St. Louis Rams.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The offense is about to heat up. Starting against Cleveland.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Don't go to Cook early and sustain drives. Get Tavon going with the Jet Sweep motion on the first play. Find a creative way to get Gurley the ball in the passing game. Start Bailey over Britt.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Did I just read Reference to The offense heating up an Cook in consecutive posts?
I would love to believe that Cook(ing) will be the reason for the Heat But Cooks servings have been quite cold.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I hope our offense, isn't with my missing socks and Tupperware lids. If it is, we may be screwed.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Don't go to Cook early and sustain drives. Get Tavon going with the Jet Sweep motion on the first play. Find a creative way to get Gurley the ball in the passing game. Start Bailey over Britt.
Absolutely dying to see TG in the passing game!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If you take the Green Bay game out of Foles performance, we most likely would say he is an efficient , fairly mistake free QB..I think he had One INT and 4 of them in GB....I am seperating GB out because:
1. Rarely does a QB get beaten like he was that day, without leaving the game horizontal. Massive pressure isn't good for any QB's performance
2. It's like commentators act like we were not playing maybe the best team in the NFL at Lambeau?
3. Our Rookie Oline is doing pretty well at Run Blocking, and have been turnstyles otherwise (see point one).
4, Their Pass Rush has more sacks than we do (see point 3).

Foles will make plays to WR's and maybe TE's not named Cook. Gurley will run behind Justice Cunningham and Cory Harky, and make maybe 200 yards for the first time ever against a Browns D that isn't very good against the run. Austin wil be used heavily. R-E-L-A-X

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The Rams need to get the offense up to around 23-24 ppg.
IMO that (in conjunction with our defense) would make us contenders.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
Cleveland has one of the worse run D's in the league at the moment. I can't imagine it'll be a problem racking up points against them on the ground.
Do our WR's and TE's have enough to get open on 1v1's off of play action though? You'd like to think so but I'm not filled with confidence these days... : - /

FRO

Legend
You can't blame Foles entirely for the offensive woes. He has had some bad games, but he is not the guy who should be getting a majority of the blame.

lockdnram21

Legend
Start Quick over Britt. Bailey isnt a outside receiver

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Hopefully Quick is closer to being what we saw last yr after another week. We have really missed that kind of production. But I really think we need to start with the run and keep going with the run early on. Seems to me that we have abandoned it fairly early in games and that has put Foles and the young OL into a bad spot. We didn't fully commit to the run the last two games until the 2nd half. We need to do that earlier. Let Foles, Gurley and the OL get into a rhythm and then the PA pass will open up.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Quick could be a nice boost to the offense down the stretch.

He's a big wild card. We don't know why he's getting limited opportunities, other than we suspect he's being eased back in mentally and physically.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I know that its nuts but Lets try mixing up our plays instead of running for no gain on every first down.

jap

Legend
You can't blame Foles entirely for the offensive woes. He has had some bad games, but he is not the guy who should be getting a majority of the blame.

Sports fans and the media tend to be simple minded in their approach to the blame game. They like to zero in on someone they want to label the scapegoat and heap all their abuse on him. A similarly unfair approach occurs when teams win, where instead the target player is treated as the hero and unfairly receives all the credit. More often than not, the scapegoat/hero resides at the QB position.

Nick, understanding this and understanding also that he is dealing with a team loaded with young kids, has stepped forward and publicly accepted the blame for offensive woes as a part of his leadership duties. I would hope that internally the team is dealing with the real culprits at fault and helping them to correct and improve their respective games for the overall good of the team.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
If you take the Green Bay game out of Foles performance, we most likely would say he is an efficient , fairly mistake free QB..I think he had One INT and 4 of them in GB....I am seperating GB out because:
1. Rarely does a QB get beaten like he was that day, without leaving the game horizontal. Massive pressure isn't good for any QB's performance
2. It's like commentators act like we were not playing maybe the best team in the NFL at Lambeau?
3. Our Rookie Oline is doing pretty well at Run Blocking, and have been turnstyles otherwise (see point one).
4, Their Pass Rush has more sacks than we do (see point 3).

Foles will make plays to WR's and maybe TE's not named Cook. Gurley will run behind Justice Cunningham and Cory Harky, and make maybe 200 yards for the first time ever against a Browns D that isn't very good against the run. Austin wil be used heavily. R-E-L-A-X
Four XLNT points!!!
My Biggest hope, after the Bye, is that the Rams start using Gurley a lot like we did Marshall Faulk in the GSOT Days!!:D It would probably = an average of 100+ Rushing yards, 100+ Receiving yards, and 2+ TD's per game!!:boxing::D

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Sports fans and the media tend to be simple minded in their approach to the blame game. They like to zero in on someone they want to label the scapegoat and heap all their abuse on him. A similarly unfair approach occurs when teams win, where instead the target player is treated as the hero and unfairly receives all the credit. More often than not, the scapegoat/hero resides at the QB position.

Nick, understanding this and understanding also that he is dealing with a team loaded with young kids, has stepped forward and publicly accepted the blame for offensive woes as a part of his leadership duties. I would hope that internally the team is dealing with the real culprits at fault and helping them to correct and improve their respective games for the overall good of the team.
Stop it with that rational, well thought out stuff!!! BURN IT ALL DOWN!!!!! START WITH FOLES!!!!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
If Foles continues to struggle with his new team and offense, any opponent can beat St. Louis, despite the defense playing to its capability.
I tend to agree....Don't know why everyone, well, a lot of you, don't see this.....Cook isn't the main problem in the offense....

RamWoodie

Legend
The OP has to be kidding!!! There are two games where Foes had very little time to throw at all. Those two games are Washington and Green Bay.

Foles doesn't find offense! What needs to happen is oles has to have time to throw!!!

Where I think the Rams are missing is in their failure to have good "sight adjust" plays based on what the defense shows. To have WRs as big as Britt and Quick and not have quick slants and hitch routes that make CBs have to come up and make good tackles just boggles my mind.

The Rams are not playing to the strength of those two!