Rams most over-achieving player

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/a...louis_rams_most_overachieving_player/16754782

In what was a promising-yet-dismal campaign for the Rams in 2013, there were a few bright spots that left the fan base clinging to hope for seasons ahead. During the month-long run up to training camp and the subsequent kickoff of the 2014 season, this got me thinking. Who has been the most overachieving player on this Rams’ roster in recent seasons?

There are a handful of worthy candidates, as the Rams’ depth chart features a number of late-round draft picks and players who’d been written off by other teams. Before dishing out the award though, we must determine what constitutes overachieving.

First, it has to be a player that came into the league with little to no expectations placed on them to perform. These players usually come in the form of late selections in the draft or have entered the league through the undrafted free agent process. Second, it must be a player who has performed at a level that surpasses the expectations placed on them, with the widest gap between “level of play” and “perceived abilities” as major contenders for the superlative. Pretty straightforward.

With that said, there are a few candidates who could be considered among the Rams’ most overachieving player. These are the players who most would consider the bright spots in what was a very up-and-down 2013 season. We’ll go with a runner-up format before revealing our pick, so let’s get started.

First runner up: Defensive End Robert Quinn

It’s difficult to call a former first-round pick an “overachiever” when they are expected to develop into top players. However, removing Quinn’s draft status from the equation, his evolution into the 2013 PFWA Defensive Player of the Year in his third season is remarkable. Rams fans will know Quinn’s story well, but prior to his being selected at 14th overall in the 2011 draft, Quinn revealed to the world that he’d been playing with a brain tumor the size of a dime. From Pete Prisco’s profile on Quinn earlier this Spring:

“Quinn said the tumor, which was at the top of his spinal cavity, was preventing the fluid from flowing in and out of his brain like it should. It was building up and causing pressure on his brain, thus the headaches. Doctors operated, drilling two holes to drain the fluid, but leaving the dime-size tumor in his head.”

Additionally, prior to his junior season at North Carolina, Quinn was booted from the Tarheel squad after lying to investigators about receiving improper benefits from a travel agency. As he entered the 2011 draft with questions about both his health and character, Quinn seemed like a long shot to become the player Rams fans know him as today. For that, his inclusion on the list is validated.

2. Tackle Joe Barksdale

I’ve made no secret of my admiration for Barksdale’s play in 2013. As the right side of the Rams offensive line rotated constantly in the wake of injuries, Barksdale emerged as a surprisingly stout right tackle. His consistent level of play earned him the distinction as the team’s second-highest grading offensive lineman from Pro Football Focus (behind tackle Jake Long) and contributed to the emergence of Rodger Saffold’s potential at guard.

Barksdale is a former 2011 third round selection of the Baltimore Ravens but was released by the team in 2012 despite featuring in all of the team’s contests that year. The Rams scooped him up on waivers shortly thereafter, where he’d feature on special teams and in spot duty for the remainder of that season. His breakout 2013 came as a welcome surprise to just about everyone, and if the offensive line emerges as a sudden strength of this team in the upcoming season, Barksdale’s emergence figures to be a big part of it.

1. Punter Johnny Hekker

In just two seasons, Hekker has gone from an undrafted free agent signing into a record-breaking, Pro Bowl talent. Signed out of Oregon State in 2012, Hekker entered the league unkown to just about everyone except those who follow Beaver football closely, but it wasn’t long before he became an impact player and fan favorite.

He was a Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Week nominee in just the second week of the season after a 48.7 net yard outing against the Redskins, and he’d even throw a touchdown pass to former Rams wide receiver Danny Amendola two weeks later on a fake field goal attempt. In 2013, he’d bring his level of play to another level. On his way to earning a Pro Bowl selection (as one of just two Rams to make the team, the other being Quinn), Hekker would finish first in the league in max hang time with a booming 5.60 seconds, which contributed to his limiting opposing returners to just 79 total return yards for the entire season. It goes without saying, but as a result, his 44.2 net yard average broke the NFL’s single season record of 44.0 established by San Francisco’s Andy Lee in 2011.

Look for the trio of Hekker, Barksdale and Quinn to further establish themselves as cornerstones of this team in 2014.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Gentlemen have I missed something on Barksdale? Felt he got beat from time to time. Now he did play well too, but I still believe the Rams were somewhat concerned with the position and is why Zack Martin was in play. I do realize Barksdale could become a free agent in 2015, however, you don't trade away many draft picks for an offensive lineman to play RT when you have one.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
The fuck?? Overachieve has such a negative connotation to it, at least when I hear it.

1st thing...Robert Quinn overachieved based on the merits of what he did in college and his benign tumor? No, that doesn't make it validated. You can't simply just say, he's becoming a star? Is that so fuckin hard to do?

Second, he mentions Joe Barksdale overachieved, but his reasoning is b/c of that, the OL is now a strength? When I hear overachieve, I think that the season is a fluke, and he'll become an average or below average player the following year.

Which leads me to Johnny Hekker, how the hell does one overachieve for 2 seasons? Like Robert Quinn, it's easier to say he's becoming a star. Even at punter.

Then his conclusion his these guys will become cornerstones?

Basically, this article makes no sense. It's a negative connotation that's supposed to be made positive.

I remember when we signed Johnny and the only thing I knew about him was this:

(better without sound)

Relative to that he overachieved massively.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Gentlemen have I missed something on Barksdale? Felt he got beat from time to time. Now he did play well too, but I still believe the Rams were somewhat concerned with the position and is why Zack Martin was in play. I do realize Barksdale could become a free agent in 2015, however, you don't trade away many draft picks for an offensive lineman to play RT when you have one.

We don't know what the plan was for Martin or how serious they were when considering trading up for him. He may have been more smoke than fire its hard to say. What we do know is that Barksdale played every game, wasn't perfect but was more than good enough to win with. Yes, he was beat a couple of times, but what RT doesn't get beat from time to time. The RT position wasn't a constant turnstile, as it has been in the past. I don't ever remember thinking "Barksdale is getting us killed" last year.
I think he is exactly what we needed: a starting O-lineman who doesn't have to be a high pick or have a big contract and still gets the job done while providing consistency in his play and even better, his ability to stay on the field.

I'll happily take a few more "Bazooka" Joes on this team...

SierraRam

Recreational User
Yeah - not a big fan of the term "overachiever" either. Maybe these guys were "underrated"...

Anyway, Rodney McLeod went undrafted but played FS and the slot for us last year. He'll be in the mix this year, too.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
My first impulses were Barks and Hekker, I expected Quinn to dominate with 14 sacks or so. 19 is just freakish, so yeah.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
The guy who played center when Wells went down.

2012 DRich defined overachiever.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay

I think you have missed something, yes. Barksdale is an above average RT who excels in pass blocking and is solid in the run game. He got beat a few times, but that happens to almost every RT.

As for Martin, he might not have played RT. He has the ability to play Center as well, and quite possibly would have played OC, getting the best 5 OL on the field. And even if he was to play RT, if the Rams thought he was a significant upgrade over Barksdale (heard the Rams had an elite top 5 grade on Martin), they might as well pull the trigger, because making the team better is the priority.

Wonderboy

Rookie
For me it was Zac Stacy. Once he got the chance to be the lead guy, he was an absolute stud. I'm not saying nobody was excited about him coming out but he was a 5th rounder. You never know what you're getting at that point. I think we got a guy that can go with him, though. Now pairing him with Mason gives us a potentially dominant 1-2 punch with Benny a very solid #3. But the award for me definitely goes to the ROOKIE Zac Stacy!

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
I believe Zuerlein deserves mention as well...I wouldn't suggest that he exceeded expectations, but his potential remains unlimited.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title

Zack was gonna play OG in the pros...Short arms and all.....And probably be a backup....

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For me it was Zac Stacy. Once he got the chance to be the lead guy, he was an absolute stud. I'm not saying nobody was excited about him coming out but he was a 5th rounder. You never know what you're getting at that point. I think we got a guy that can go with him, though. Now pairing him with Mason gives us a potentially dominant 1-2 punch with Benny a very solid #3. But the award for me definitely goes to the ROOKIE Zac Stacy!

Agree... I think a lot of Rams fans were pleansantly surprised at how well he did.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
The first sentence told me all I needed to know about what was to follow. "In what was a promising-yet-dismal campaign for the Rams in 2013"

"Dismal" - dingy, dim, dark, gloomy, dreary, drab, dull, bleak, cheerless,depressing, uninviting, unwelcoming, gloomy, glum, melancholy, morose, doleful, woebegone, forlorn,dejected, depressed, dispirited, downcast, despondent,disconsolate, miserable, sad, unhappy, sorrowful, desolate,wretched.

This better describes the mood and denizens of a certain Rams forum which will not be mentioned. Come on Mr. Author, surely there's a better word to describe the Rams 2013 season than dismal. Love - the Grammar Nazi.

Rambition

Rookie
The freak?? Overachieve has such a negative connotation to it, at least when I hear it.

1st thing...Robert Quinn overachieved based on the merits of what he did in college and his benign tumor? No, that doesn't make it validated. You can't simply just say, he's becoming a star? Is that so freakin hard to do?

Second, he mentions Joe Barksdale overachieved, but his reasoning is b/c of that, the OL is now a strength? When I hear overachieve, I think that the season is a fluke, and he'll become an average or below average player the following year.

Which leads me to Johnny Hekker, how the hell does one overachieve for 2 seasons? Like Robert Quinn, it's easier to say he's becoming a star. Even at punter.

Then his conclusion his these guys will become cornerstones?

Basically, this article makes no sense. It's a negative connotation that's supposed to be made positive.
yes, i agree. there's no reason to use the term "overachieve" rather than, say, "surprised." besides that, it's a backhanded compliment at best.

cracengl

Rookie
I would characterize Quinn that way, only because last year he seemed to put it all together more quickly than I would have thought. He went from a guy who they knew would be a good pass rusher, but probably not a great run stuffer to a well rounded bad ass. I mean, there were even people during training camp saying he looked like a one trick pony. I guess he put all of that to bed.