Rams miss Robert Quinn

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Initially I was in favor of releasing Robert Quinn because he seemed to be injury prone and not having the same impact as he did in the past. It looks like I was wrong and he has been rejuvenated.

Click the link below to see the charts.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...rboard-pass-block-win-rate-pass-rush-win-rate
***************************************************************************************
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2018/12/20/nfl-rams-pass-rush-block-win-rate-stats/

Rams among league leaders in pass-block, pass-rush win rate
By: Cameron DaSilva

gettyimages-1052710764.jpg

Much has been made about the Los Angeles Rams’ recent struggles to rush the passer – outside of Aaron Donald – and protect Jared Goff. They’re both very warranted concerns, but over the course of the entire season, the Rams’ offensive line has been great.

Additionally, the defense is still overly reliant on Donald as a pass rusher, but his dominance up front makes up for a lot of the Rams’ inefficiencies on the edge.

ESPN created new metrics this season called pass-rush and pass-block win rate. Essentially, it measures how often a pass rusher or offensive lineman wins his battle against the guy across from him by either holding a block for 2.5-plus seconds or beating a block in under 2.5 seconds.

The Rams don’t have any representatives in the OLB/DE category, but to no one’s surprise, Donald is at the top of the list for defensive tackles. he has a win rate of 42 percent, which is substantially higher than the next-closest player, Chris Jones (35 percent). Strangely enough, Robert Quinn is No. 1 among edge rushers at 40 percent.

On the offensive side of the ball, Andrew Whitworth is first among tackles with a win rate of 92 percent. Right tackle Rob Havenstein isn’t far behind at 87 percent, good for 10th in the NFL. At guard, Austin Blythe doesn’t make the list, but Rodger Saffold – a Pro Bowl snub – is third with a win rate of 88 percent.

usatsi_11340892.jpg

Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports

The most surprising player on the list is John Sullivan, who’s had a down year by his standards. He’s fifth among centers at 86 percent.

As a team, the Rams are No. 1 in pass-block win rate (62 percent) three points ahead of the next-closest team, the Browns. That number has certainly dipped in the past three weeks with Goff getting pressured fairly often, but it’s telling that the Rams are still at the top of the list.

Defensively, only the Panthers have a higher pass-rush win rate (62 percent) than the Rams (59 percent). A large portion of that is thanks to Donald, but L.A. is getting plenty of pressure on opposing quarterbacks.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Yeah at this point I would have rather kept Quinn and drafted someone in place of Peters and dare I say have Hill starting in his stead. He is either playing hurt all season or he just doesn't give a damn IMO. I can't see how he went from one of the best CB's in the league to being one of the absolute worst. I admit he has been a little better since Talib has come back but he's still giving up way too many big plays. Hill could do just as bad of a job for a fraction of the price.
What we need is someone else to create pressure from the edge and that was Quinn's strong point. Yes, he only had one or two moves but he was good at them.
Now we are seeing teams double or wham block AD and no one else is getting home to the QB and that's a big big problem. Come playoff time that will be one of the things that could be our downfall.
Fowler has been pretty good but even he's not beating his 1v1 most of the time. I expect him to get better and better as he plays for Wade and If we end up keeping Fowler I hope we can sign him to a reasonable contract. After that I can see the Rams drafting a OLB or getting a young FA with potential. There's so many holes in our front seven it's really hard to know where to start but we have to start somewhere, these guys just aren't getting it done. EkuBum has been pretty terrible all season. The dude just doesn't have it. Besides his one good game against the Chiefs he's a liability against the pass and run. Always peaks inside and gets beat to the outside, we can't have that if we're going to be expected to win any playoff games. Teams will exploit that to 10th degree.
It's hard to say who'd we would even keep around on our DL next year. Unless Suh has a couple monster games in the playoffs I don't see him coming back. Brockers has been MIA since week 3 and Longacre is going to have a hard time finding a place on any team with what I've seen from him this year. The dude is playing so out of position it's not even funny.
It's going to a be a rough offseason for this defense that's for sure, with so many moves going to be made it's going to be tough to get the D to top 15 status.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Nice stat for Robert!

Still, my understanding is that Quinn has been pretty middling in Miami, and that nobody is too upset about the team likely moving on from him next season.

He pretty much is just a situational pass rusher at this point.

Which, to be fair, might well have been a better use of some of the Rams' free agent money this off-season given our anemic pass rush and the disappointing play of Peters. :/ Hindsight is 20-20, but with Donald consistently eating double or triple teams, you can't help but think Quinn would have gotten home more than our current DLers have.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Watched some dolphins games and Quinn has been a non factor.
Pretty similar season to last year, absent most of the year then finishing strong. (4.5 of his 5.5 sacks came in last 5 games)

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He’s improved his play going back to a 4-3. It’s a pretty big assumption he’d have done the same continuing to be in Wades 3-4. Loved RQ but I don’t know if in the end we really do miss him.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He’s improved his play going back to a 4-3. It’s a pretty big assumption he’d have done the same continuing to be in Wades 3-4. Loved RQ but I don’t know if in the end we really do miss him.
Well, we can miss the 4-3 AND Robert Quinn, can't we?

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They lost me at "Espn created a new metrics this season" I'm sure they create a ton of metrics to make their story sound like they did "research".

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
The problem the Rams had with Quinn was he was horrible dropping back in coverage and while rushing the QB he outran containment on the edge.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, we can miss the 4-3 AND Robert Quinn, can't we?
The RQ of his first contract maybe, after that it's debatable. People seem to think we traded the RQ but forget that was 5 years ago. This article talks up a guy with 5.5 sacks and claims he'd be a game changer on this defense.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
The RQ of his first contract maybe, after that it's debatable. People seem to think we traded the RQ but forget that was 5 years ago. This article talks up a guy with 5.5 sacks and claims he'd be a game changer on this defense.

Well he'd be better than anyone else on our team sans AD.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
This article talks up a guy with 5.5 sacks and claims he'd be a game changer on this defense.

Yep. In spite of multiple mistakes we've made defensively wrt the roster getting rid of Quinn was a good decision.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He has more sacks than any of our starters besides AD and he only plays on passing downs. I don't know what there is to debate
Pretty sure exactly what I said :D Whether this 4-3 DE is better at OLB than anybody we have playing the position. As for only playing passing downs that's an interesting idea not sure where you pulled that from. He's played almost 61% of defensive snaps for Miami this year when the leader on the DLine is playing just under 63%. These kind of conversations never cease to amaze me. Last year we were all talking about how bad RQ was in Wades defense inspite of his sack number and now all of a sudden he's great and we desperately need him back. Interesting though that Quinn is great having played just under 600 snaps on defense to get 5.5 sacks. Yet Fowler who's played 2/3 that number for 4 sacks isn't as good. Oh well guess we'll just keep pining for our injury prone former 4-3 DE to play Edge in our current 3-4 defense.