Rams may soon be the NFC West team to beat.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

KNUCKLEHEAD

I won't say it unless you don't.
Rams may soon be the NFC West team to beat
By Steve Rivera - July 1, 2016

Despite the recent news that Jared Goff might not be ready for “Prime Time”, the team as a whole might be, soon. In Los Angeles, timing may prove that great things are on tap for the Rams.

And sooner rather than later.

Football is a funny thing, and as teams will rise, eventually they tend to decline. Say what you want about New England, as they may be the exception to the rule, but teams on top one year, don’t always repeat the next. Like it or not, free agency has given us parity, and therein lies the greatest equalizer.

Except in New England.

That said, if you look at the NFC West, there’s room at the top. While Seattle has been the dominant team, nothing from the 2015 season tells me they are a perennial mortal lock.

As for the Cardinals…, well, as goes Carson Palmer, so do their fortunes in the desert.

And San Francisco?

As smoldering dumpster fires go, that is one that could flare at any moment, and does anyone really see Chip Kelly turning a team around that’s on the same trajectory as his own?

Which brings me to the Los Angeles Rams.

Sure, Jeff Fisher hasn’t found anything resembling a winning record yet as head coach. And no one would ever tell you that something as trivial as a change of longitude and latitude could or will alter their fortunes.

But despite the bumbling's of the Rams brain trust, proof may lie in the depth chart currently being crafted in L.A.

If the latter part of 2015 is an indicator, Case Keenum can at least manage a game. If Tyler Higbee was a ‘gift’ in the fourth round, then he might be just that to the Rams offense.

Todd Gurley, who is being hyped as a potential NFL rushing king, might end up being the most valuable player for the Rams. Right now, it’s fair to say that the fortunes of this team begin and end with him.

And then last, but certainly not least, is the first overall pick in this year’s draft, Jared Goff.

If Russell Wilson is still the class of the division, and Carson Palmer, as his age may indicate, is on the downside of his career, then Jared Goff may be the future of this team, and the division in more ways than one.

As for Kaepernick, well, at best that’s a jump ball. Can he recapture his swagger from the Harbaugh days, or is he a one trick pony?

If timing is everything, then the Rams may be on the brink of great things in the NFC West.

Sometimes, it really only is a matter of time.

And in Los Angeles, maybe it’s just that for the Rams; time.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/rams-may-soon-nfc-west-230447201.html

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
I will say this is the most uplifting article so far for the entire month of July.. A toast to mr. Rivera

post-17617-blues-brothers-toast-gif-Imgur-wJW2.gif

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'll Toast it in everyway possible!!:yess::cheers:
gurleykoolaid.png

Grier Beer.jpg
drunk-smiley-emoticon.gif
"I'm always all in..
Bet It all.jpg

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Uplifting article indeed, ... although not meaning to put a damper on it, for the last two seasons (2014, 2015), the sports media has had us believing we were the next young upstart team prepared to ruin the plans of higher ranked teams. I'm not hearing any of that so far this off-season, I guess once burned the media chose to be twice shy. And while the media stroked our hopes, we actually looked more like the SOSAR's.

On paper, imo, we are a better team than the two previous years, ... i'm also happy the network media stars aren't blowing smoke up our arses this time around. Better to go into this with our eyes open and mouths a bit more humbled, too high of expectations can hurt exceedingly during a crash. I'll be wary until the Rams prove to me they are as competitive as I believe they should be, ... and that means posting wins, not excuses. It means if we are again struck by injuries, we have the depth to overcome. I'm not from Missouri, but this time around i'll follow their motto, ... show me. jmo.

…..

Legend
That qualifies as writing?

I hate to ruin the good vibe, but its interesting how he casually dismisses Arizona, even though they've proven they can make they playoffs without Palmer. Then provides zero evidence that Seattle cant be the same #1 scoring offense as they were the 2nd half of last season, even though they arguably have the worst OL in history.

But really....that's an article? The "maybe its time" article of the year. lol

Yep...step right up folks. We now have Tyler Higbee, so maybe its time!

Next article up...."Crazier things have happened."

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Love the enthusiasm, but the team is a couple years away IMO. Tough year this year, but they get better and better the next few years. They should be rounding into championship form just in time to move into their new home.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
but its interesting how he casually dismisses Arizona, even though they've proven they can make they playoffs without Palmer
They have? When was that? Its was 3 seasons of non winning without him, won 10 games with him and just missed the playoffs in 2013. Don't know how they make the playoffs in 2014 without him as they were 6-0 in his starts and merely 5-5 without...
I'm all in on the Kool Aid myself but I cant deny that the memory of high expectations with "Sack City" still linger....

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
That qualifies as writing?

I hate to ruin the good vibe, but its interesting how he casually dismisses Arizona, even though they've proven they can make they playoffs without Palmer. Then provides zero evidence that Seattle cant be the same #1 scoring offense as they were the 2nd half of last season, even though they arguably have the worst OL in history.

But really....that's an article? The "maybe its time" article of the year. lol

Yep...step right up folks. We now have Tyler Higbee, so maybe its time!

Next article up...."Crazier things have happened."

Yup............that was a waste of time.

I'm going to get one of those sports writer jobs and just copy and paste posts from the net and get paid.

mad-stacks-t-shirt.jpg

…..

Legend
They have? When was that? QUOTE]

They still went 3-4 without him and made the playoffs. (4-4 if you count the win against us in the game he got injured) Then later Drew Stanton suffered a knee injury (also to the Rams) and they had to start Ryan Lindley in the playoffs.

But that's not my main point. My main point was how casually he dismissed the Cardinals using the ol "what if Carson wasn't there"

Last edited:

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Uplifting article indeed, ... although not meaning to put a damper on it, for the last two seasons (2014, 2015), the sports media has had us believing we were the next young upstart team prepared to ruin the plans of higher ranked teams. I'm not hearing any of that so far this off-season, I guess once burned the media chose to be twice shy. And while the media stroked our hopes, we actually looked more like the SOSAR's. I'm not from Missouri, but this time around i'll follow their motto, ... show me. jmo.

I feel ya Riverum.. The article never said this year or made crazy playoff predictions... it merely stated...

If timing is everything, then the Rams may be on the brink of great things in the NFC West.

Sometimes, it really only is a matter of time.

And in Los Angeles, maybe it’s just that for the Rams; time.

Anway we can always read articles like this one below to keep us in check and let the air out of the ball errrrr balloon LOL

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/29708/pff-puts-rams-at-no-29-in-roster-rankings

But the news wasn't so good for the Los Angeles Rams. PFF apparently doesn't think too highly of the Rams' roster, ranking it No. 29 out of 32 teams. That's down from 2015 when they ranked the Rams No. 22, but a little better than 2014, when they checked in at No. 31.

Within the NFC West division, the Rams rank ahead of the San Francisco 49ers, who came in last on the list. Arizona at No. 8 and Seattle at No. 13 finished well ahead of the Rams.

Defensive tackle Aaron Donald finished first among all players in PFF's individual player rankings, but that was not enough to bolster the team's overall rating much. Using their grading system, PFF listed Donald, ends Robert Quinnand William Hayes, running back Todd Gurley and cornerback Trumaine Johnson as the team's five best players.

PFF also listed four places the Rams could use an upgrade, naming left tackle, linebacker, guard and center on that list. One of the biggest questions they have is one we've discussed here recently, and that is whether left tackle Greg Robinson can take a step forward and become a consistently productive player. Stabilizing that spot would go a long way toward improving this ranking.

Overall, this feels too low to me, as the Rams have consistently been able to finish in the middle of the pack since coach Jeff Fisher arrived.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
What can I say?

I doubt that the Rams are quite ready to seriously challenge for the division championship against the likes of the Seahawks and Cards.

But I do think they are capable of a 10-6 season despite their schedule.

The Rams have assembled some serious talent at many positions. If Goff settles in fairly quickly, we will surprise a few teams. Maybe in our own division.

So I don't think that a wild card playoff appearance is off the table this season.

Camp and preseason will give us some strong clues. By opening day we will surely have a better read on our status.

Right now it's just fan speculation. But what else is there at this time of year?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They still went 3-4 without him and made the playoffs. (4-4 if you count the win against us in the game he got injured) Then later Drew Stanton suffered a knee injury (also to the Rams) and they had to start Ryan Lindley in the playoffs.

But that's not my main point. My main point was how casually he dismissed the Cardinals using the ol "what if Carson wasn't there
Your points seem contradictory. They went 3-4 without him. That kind of play doesn't get a team in to the playoffs. That's the point. They only made the playoffs because of the lead they had due to Carson Palmer. Without him, they are basically the Rams.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Overall, this feels too low to me, as the Rams have consistently been able to finish in the middle of the pack since coach Jeff Fisher arrived.
Ditto! And now we have a QB for the Future too!

…..

Legend
Your points seem contradictory. They went 3-4 without him. That kind of play doesn't get a team in to the playoffs. That's the point. They only made the playoffs because of the lead they had due to Carson Palmer. Without him, they are basically the Rams.

does it really fuckin matter to you that much? You're right, the Cardinals are mere shells of themselves without Carson Palmer.

You win the debate and the internet.

Congratulations.

Thanks

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
:shooting:#29
:shooting: 29
............... 9

Fixed it for ya.

Last edited: