Rams May Already Be Bracing for the End of the Todd Gurley Era

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Todd is going to be ready for the year. I believe it. But let's not be blind and pretend the team has been upfront about his health.

I hope he has 1,200 yds 15tds, 600 yds receiving and another 4-5 receiving tds.

Then Henderson getting 700-800 yds 6tds to complement him. A good 1-2 punch with Brown thrown in the mix a series or two.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Actually I hope they really dial him down this season, as suggested in other posts McVay can use MB & DH & maybe even Kelly against teams we expect to win against. (how long's it been since I could say that lol)
If he has 600 yds,6 tds and 300 yds receiving by the playoffs, I'd be a happy camper. After that he can average 200 yards from scrimmage for all I care & 3 tds / playoff game :)

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
....and, yes I think TGII has a knee issue, but from posts already on this subject, I think he can do a pain management program & still be ready for impact in the playoffs. The writer of the article is just trying to piggy back on all the hoopla so far about TGknee. Drafting DH has nothing to do with Todd's knee -- well maybe a bit, so we can start spelling him & stop relying on him as our primary weapon out of the backfield. Had that Dallas RB F/A kid worked out like McVay hoped I don't think we're having this conversation.
Had we actually resigned CJ Dadbod, then yes I think it would've been fair to start speculating on TG's knee. But we didn't. So we can stop now.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
If Gurley's playoff performance didn't make you nervous, then you must have ice water running through your veins.

If CJ spelled Gurley and ran for 8.0 YPC, I'd be concerned. Gurley had 10 yards on 4 att vs N.Orleans. CJ had 44 on 16. Gurley had 35 yards on 10 attempts in the SB. CJ had 22 yards on 7. The whole offense sucked. We won the NOrleans game on Greg Z's foot.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Actually I hope they really dial him down this season, as suggested in other posts McVay can use MB & DH & maybe even Kelly against teams we expect to win against. (how long's it been since I could say that lol)
If he has 600 yds,6 tds and 300 yds receiving by the playoffs, I'd be a happy camper. After that he can average 200 yards from scrimmage for all I care & 3 tds / playoff game :)

I gave you an "ouch" because 600 yds and 6 tds? that would mean Todd became kind of irrelevant. 37 yds /game? He's either healthy, or not. The in-between thing is kind of luke-warm, to me. What is the point?

:rant:I will spit you out of my mouth!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Or here’s a novel idea. What if the Rams smartened up and realized overusing Gurley early and often wasn’t good for Gurley, the Rams, his contract or the playoffs. If the Rams strategically utilize an effective RB1B for 30% of the RB touches throughout he season and have not 1 but 2 RB weapons for the playoffs then the ineffective RB attack they encountered against the Saints and Patriots will be greatly improved. I would rather have Gurley as an effective RB1A option for the next 3+ years versus permanently running him into the ground by week 12 of 2019. Have faith in our coaches. They are quickly proving to be the best group in the NFL but won’t get that credit until they win a Super Bowl.

Kind of the way I see it .

Otherwise...

tempests

Hall of Fame
Questions will swirl until Todd puts on the pads again and shows us what he still has left.

If he's well enough to play, It's going to be hard not to give him the ball, especially if the Rams are having a hard time moving it without him.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The truth is that we all saw in Todd Gurley as that special kind of back. We saw the guy that could break Dickerson's record, and be a lock for the Hall of Fame. Maybe not as much of a lock as Aaron Donald, but after 8 or so years of consistently great play, he should be on the short list of retired RB's to get in. If what we saw in the playoffs was not a fixable injury and was simply wear and tear or arthritis, he'll never produce consistent play like I envisioned and dreamed of. If he's not that great back anymore, we over payed him for sure, and I doubt we will ever re-sign him to another contract after this one.
I hate that

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
:)

If it comes to that then if a seasons rest can actually heal Gurley then let him sit out the season. Healthy he is an amazing weapon. Injured he is a liability. He's under contract sure but another RB can take some snaps for peanuts. If Gurley can't be back to his true form by 2020 then reconsider his being on the team considering his contract. BTW I don't begrudge him his contract, I'm glad for him he has such financial security. I would love to see him pick up where he left off before his latest injury. When healthy he truly is the Faulk of this offense. He makes everyone on offense better.

Last edited:

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Sooooo avg 15 touches a week. And once we’re are up comfortable scoreboard wise. Perhaps we rest him (n)

IBruce80

Tokyo Ram
Securing backs, I believe, is in part to making an offence like we had with Gurley and CJ, especially like in fje dallas game.
I'm feeing Gurley will be fine, but may or not be susceptible to injury.
He will be by far our biggest offensive threat.
With depth and another back taking a portion of carries, I see a soid running game once again.
These acquisitions arent to replace Gurley but to strengthen our attack.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'm not so optimistic. If Gurley's problem is arthritis, it is unpredictable. The drop off in his ability while injured was drastic. He's a ticking time bomb imo.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
We all want clarity regarding TG, but IMHO it’s impossible to get it.

I don’t think TG himself knows how healthy he is.

I don’t think TG’s orthopedists know, either. Even an expert would have trouble predicting how his knee will hold up. Even a simple ‘yes or no’ on the arthritis question wouldn’t clarify all that much...the progression of the condition can vary wildly.

The Rams selection of Henderson is a clear indication that, yes, there is indeed concern.

But as far as being able to predict how TG’s knee will hold up in 2019? IMHO, nobody knows.

I like to speculate as much as the next guy, and when it comes to TG3’s knee, I’ve done plenty of speculatin’ already. But in the end, we’ll all just have to be like Forrest Gump with his box of chocolates. We’ll have to wait and find out what we’re gonna get.

Status
Not open for further replies.