Rams May Already Be Bracing for the End of the Todd Gurley Era

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...be-bracing-for-the-end-of-the-todd-gurley-era
The Rams May Already Be Bracing for the End of the Todd Gurley Era
Mike TanierMay 2, 2019
hi-res-2d2f4f8cb1b50f88c6463101dee5ac81_crop_north.jpg

There's a sense of tragedy built into the brief careers of great running backs like Todd Gurley II. As soon as we really get to know and appreciate them, it's almost time to say goodbye.

When we last saw Gurley, the Rams' $57.5 million All-Pro running back looked like he was in danger of Thanos-poofing out of existence.

Gurley was an MVP candidate in the first 12 games of last season. After a pair of poor games in December, he sat out the final two regular-season games, resting what was thought to be a minor knee injury.

In the playoffs, Gurley split carries with C.J. Anderson, a lovable waiver-wire veteran who looked like he had been trying to stay in shape at Old Country Buffet before the Rams called him. Anderson saw the bulk of the action in the NFC Championship Game while Gurley rushed just four times for 10 yards, one goal-line touchdown and several blunders. Neither back could get anything going in the Super Bowl as Gurley rushed just 10 times for 35 yards and the Rams offense bricked in a 13-3 loss to the Patriots.

In the months since that loss, the Rams have acquired a suspiciously large amount of Gurley insurance.

First, the Rams matched an offer sheet from the Lions during free agency to keep running back Malcolm Brown in Los Angeles for two more seasons. Brown was Gurley's backup before a late-season clavicle injury prompted the Rams to rent Anderson's services.

The Rams then traded a pair of late third-round picks to move to the early third round of the draft to select Memphis running back Darrell Henderson. Between the trade for Henderson and the matched offer for Brown, the Rams clearly prioritized the back end of their running back depth chart.

Meanwhile, Gurley's knee remains a source of mystery.

Anderson said on Undisputed in February that Gurley was far more injured in the playoffs than "everybody in the building thought, including himself." John Breech of CBSSports.com reported in March the team could consider a stem-cell treatment for Gurley's knee; Sean McVay vaguely conceded "new methods" and a "program" for Gurley's knee were being discussed.

Maybe this is all just much ado about some minor transactions and a lingering sprain. Or maybe this is the beginning of the end for Gurley and the Rams.

8965cc4ddab50ae496f62f0df4412e04_crop_exact.jpg

Memphis running back Darrell Henderson was drafted by the Rams in the third round, the place from which more than a few eventual star running backs have emerged in recent seasons.John Raoux/Associated Press
Now before we get carried away and tell you to trade Gurley off your fantasy dynasty league or something, let's be clear: There are many reasons to think the Rams are just taking reasonable precautions about Gurley's health, not laying the groundwork to something earth-shattering:

• Gurley told reporters (per the Rams website) in mid-April that his knee feels fine, that he feels better after some rest, that he doesn't need any unusual procedure and so forth.
  • Gurley has also been supportive of Brown (advocating for his backup to get a pay raise) and Henderson (he sent a congratulatory tweet, our culture's most sincere expression of true feelings), so he doesn't sound too worried about his job security.
  • McVay said the team selected Henderson because of his unique skill set, which provides a "different threat" for their offense. The 5'8" Henderson does indeed look like more of a handy change-of-pace back than a threat to take anyone's starting job. And Brown has never been more than the guy who soaks up carries when Gurley needs a breather.
  • Gurley rushed for 1,251 yards, added 580 receiving yards and scored 21 touchdowns in 14 regular-season games last year. He still looked pretty darn amazing as of early December.
  • Here's the biggie: Gurley is in just the second year of the four-year, $57.5 million deal he signed in July. He's already guaranteed a huge hunk of cash for the 2020 season because of some shrewd contract triggers designed to protect Gurley from ruthless NFL running back economics (bum knee + two bad games + hotshot rookie = INSTANT CAP CASUALTY).
That's a lot of caveats to slalom through before we bid a premature farewell to the Gurley era. The official story—Henderson is just here to catch some screen passes; Gurley will be fine—is mostly convincing.

Yet the official story during the playoffs and Super Bowl, from both McVay and Gurley, was also that Gurley was healthy. Gurley claimed he just had a "sorry as hell" game against the Saints. McVay pretended giving C.J. Dadbod lots of extra carries was a tactical decision.

Sure, they were dis-informing the Patriots by concealing Gurley's injury. But it sounds like they are still practicing information control. And what happens if Gurley rushes 10 times for 35 yards in some September game and a "different threat" like Henderson has a big game? Will we be talking about keeping Gurley fresh for the late season and playoffs? Or will we be talking about stem cells, mystery injuries and perhaps second thoughts about a very expensive investment?

Not even a two-time All-Pro like Gurley is immune to the powerful forces that shape the careers of running backs:

Running back careers are short. Gurley is just 24 years old but already has absorbed 1,229 NFL touches, many of them grueling journeys between the tackles during the Jeff Fisher dark ages. The football encyclopedias are full of running backs whose careers peaked around their fourth seasons and/or 25th birthdays. For a recent, unfortunate example: Check out how things have gone for Devonta Freeman since the Falcons' Super Bowl.

The difference between good and great at running back is slight. The Rams watched Anderson walk off the street last year and gain 299 yards in two late-season games, so they understand the concept of replacement value at the position. Gurley at his best is a difference-maker worth every penny of an eight-figure salary. Gurley at about 90 percent of his best can be replaced by a third-round pick.

baced6d69ea035d54926554fcdf0b29f_crop_exact.jpg

C.J. Anderson arrived in L.A. via the waiver wire last season and emerged as the Rams' primary ball-carrier through much of the postseason.Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images
Rookie running backs are drafted to play. Henderson was selected in the third round, just like Alvin Kamara, Kareem Hunt, David Johnson, Duke Johnson, Tevin Coleman, James Conner and others in years past. Third-round running backs have a habit of starting out as "different threats" and becoming the primary threat or the successor to an expensive, underperforming (or disgruntled) veteran.

In the wake of the Odell Beckham Jr. trade, there's no such thing as an indispensable superstar, and even players with guaranteed money left on their contracts can wind up on the market under the right set of circumstances.

The ideal situation for the Rams—and for fans who love watching outstanding running backs and hate seeing careers cut short so quickly—will be for Gurley's knee to spring back to health so he can enjoy another 1,800 scrimmage-yard season. Anderson can munch the fourth-quarter clock, Henderson can do Darren Sproles-like stuff, and everyone will forget last year's postseason disappearance as a fresh Gurley trucks and hurdles defenders in this season's playoffs.

That's what the Rams want, for Henderson, Anderson and the talk about alternative knee therapies to be just a contingency plan.

But after an offseason of vague stonewalling and bolstering the running back depth chart, the contingency looks less and less like a fallback option and more like the plan of attack.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
LOL, nope. That's all I have to say. Gurley is going to come back stronger than ever. That's my feeling.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
LOL, nope. That's all I have to say. Gurley is going to come back stronger than ever. That's my feeling.

But - but the Rams resigned their backup at a fairly low price (especially the 2nd year) and then drafted a 3rd down back, a role they've been trying to get for the past couple of years. Clearly Gurley is done.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Also, LAWL, this writer doesn't realize that C.J. Anderson is not on the Rams. This guy isn't credible in the least.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Also, LAWL, this writer doesn't realize that C.J. Anderson is not on the Rams. This guy isn't credible in the least.

You bring up a good point, and yeah he's filling space.

But I'm nervous about Gurley, not gonna lie. What happened at the end of the year and the playoffs has me worried. He had a great game against Dallas after two weeks of rest and then struggled very badly for two games that were two weeks apart.

jjab360

Legend
If Gurley's playoff performance didn't make you nervous, then you must have ice water running through your veins. And just to further the narrative, both McVay and Gurley have since publicly admitted that they told a couple of "alternative truths" leading up to the big game in regards to Gurley's health.

That being said, I'm confident that an offseason of rest and recovery will get the big guy back to where he should be, but I doubt we'll see him taking practically every snap like he did for most of last season. There's a reason why RBs need breathers more than almost any other position.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
No player in NFL history has ever had a nagging injury.

RIP Todd Gurley

Thank God we signed CJ Anderson

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You bring up a good point, and yeah he's filling space.

But I'm nervous about Gurley, not gonna lie. What happened at the end of the year and the playoffs has me worried. He had a great game against Dallas after two weeks of rest and then struggled very badly for two games that were two weeks apart.

Yea I mean, something is definitely up with him. The media asked him point blank if he had arthritis, and he neither said yes or no.

That's not good.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Yea I mean, something is definitely up with him. The media asked him point blank if he had arthritis, and he neither said yes or no.

That's not good.

Right now at this point I think it's fair to say he does have arthritis. It can be managed but I'm concerned we won't ever see him play like he is capable of for a full season.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's what the Rams want, for Henderson, Anderson and the talk about alternative knee therapies to be just a contingency plan.
Yup, that's EXACTLY what they want.
Surprised they didn't mention how happy Sean Mannion is to have Anderson back

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Right now at this point I think it's fair to say he does have arthritis. It can be managed but I'm concerned we won't ever see him play like he is capable of for a full season.

Gurley being drafted #10 overall scared the crap out of me !! Then after his rookie year he had a really bad season.

McVay has been solid as a coach & letting payers dictate there work load.

Gurley took one of the worst hits at Georgia. He had to rehab from a serious knee injury that will catch up to him.

Gurley is such a hard worker he took so many offseason reps & works after practice as well.It is something McVay should limit !! Gurley Needs those for reduce his practice reps big time.The pain starter after the Raiders game. You can see by his numbers when he started to feel better.
Reggie & McVay pissed me off BigTime when they allowed Gurley back in the game against Philly !! The Rams could have kept Gurley healthy.

dang

Legend
Or here’s a novel idea. What if the Rams smartened up and realized overusing Gurley early and often wasn’t good for Gurley, the Rams, his contract or the playoffs. If the Rams strategically utilize an effective RB1B for 30% of the RB touches throughout he season and have not 1 but 2 RB weapons for the playoffs then the ineffective RB attack they encountered against the Saints and Patriots will be greatly improved. I would rather have Gurley as an effective RB1A option for the next 3+ years versus permanently running him into the ground by week 12 of 2019. Have faith in our coaches. They are quickly proving to be the best group in the NFL but won’t get that credit until they win a Super Bowl.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Or here’s a novel idea. What if the Rams smartened up and realized overusing Gurley early and often wasn’t good for Gurley, the Rams, his contract or the playoffs. If the Rams strategically utilize an effective RB1B for 30% of the RB touches throughout he season and have not 1 but 2 RB weapons for the playoffs then the ineffective RB attack they encountered against the Saints and Patriots will be greatly improved. I would rather have Gurley as an effective RB1A option for the next 3+ years versus permanently running him into the ground by week 12 of 2019. Have faith in our coaches. They are quickly proving to be the best group in the NFL but won’t get that credit until they win a Super Bowl.

There's an interesting case to be made here both ways.

Two years ago - Eagles - for as well as Nick Foles played - and he played REALLY well - there is no way the Eagles were the best team in the NFL once Wentz went down - IMO they won by having home field advantage and getting one outlier/unbelievable game from Foles to win it all.

Last year - Rams - went balls to the wall with all skill players - our best two got injured, it came back to bite us - I think we all agree that had Gurley and Kupp been healthy, we win it all.

BUT - Gurley and Kupp were healthy the prior year and we got bounced from the playoffs - yes, our team was better this year, but you could make an argument that it's worth risking injury to go for home field - this worked out for Philly, even though their injury was more random. Even though we didn't have it, having the first round bye seemed to almost lock us into the NFCCG, where a number of players (Goff, Cooks, GZ) played LIGHTS out and got us the win.

Where McVay bothered me were the games we blew teams out - we would have won without Gurley at all and I'm hoping he makes a plan for that next year. The games against the Cards and Niners (first games against them) come to mind.

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hope you are right.

I'm genuinely worried about TG. I hope he'll be fine, but am really glad the depth chart behind him looks good.

Status
Not open for further replies.