Rams Make OT Isaiah Battle Highest-Paid Practice Squad Player In NFL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams were in big need of youthful OT's before the 2015 NFL draft. All of a sudden we went into the regular season with FIVE! (Robinson, Havenstein, Donnal, Williams & Battle)! That a boy Snead!:yess:

Wonderful problem to have three young promising OLT's on this Ram team. Williams was a big UDFA surprise:shocked:. Battle just looks (if nothing else) like a prototype modern NFL starting OLT. Robinson needs to get his act together here shortly or those two very young mentioned rookies could give him a challenge sooner than most think.

Question was asked if any of these OT's can play OG? Just not real sure if any of these five with the exception of Robinson @ OLG can. With Reynolds, Brown, Wichmann & Rhaney I see no need to at this time to ponder that question.

The real question that I have for the future:thinking: is of the five OT's mentioned above...... which can be the teams future swing reserve OT? With Robinson & Havenstein as the starters. Its just a guess here on this Robinson play thus far & the second move of Jamon Brown @ OG....is that the veteran Garrett Reynolds (playing @ OLG) was....is and will be calming & positive effect on the very young OLT Greg Robinson. I have posted before that I also thought that Garrett played the left side better than the right.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It's obvious they like him since they did this, but this move to me means another team tried to grab him from our practice squad. So we paid him whatever he'd get there (and maybe more) plus he doesn't have to move him and his family, he gets to stay with his current teammates, a great OL coach in Boudreau, just familiarity everywhere, and I assume we also guaranteed to bring him up from the PS at some point soon, so he has the same chance of one day starting here than anywhere else.

I think this is great for us though. Battle has a ton of talent, maybe he's a starter for us in the future. Can he ay guard? Is he strictly a tackle? Could be an interesting development to watch, this season and in the future.

This was a low risk maneuver to protect a fifth round investment. It should have been done as soon as Battle hit the PS. An Oline needy team could have tried to sign him immediately.

Yep. Makes sense. I am surprised we don't see this more often.

I don't see both Battle/Williams and Wichmann moving into the starting 5... if GRob kicks inside, Wichmann isn't playing over him or Brown. And if Wichmann replaces anyone, it'll likely be Reynolds if he doesn't play well at LG.

Of course, right now it's GRob/Reynolds/Barnes/Brown/Havenstein, and that's probably not changing anytime soon unless they totally stink it up for a few games.

Too bad one of Battle/ Williams/ Wichman wasn't a center

Good move to keep Battle. He could very well be another cog to a talented and deep offensive line, so I like this move.

Did you really just say that?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Battle has great mobility and if he were to develop into a top teir OT he would be a great fit for a Zone blocking scheme. Not so coincidentally the Rams have switched to a zone scheme. When they drafted GRobinson they were more of. Power run scheme.

When Battle was drafted and the Rams revealed the switch I instantly though Battle was taken specifically for this scheme...if he develops.

I also thought that he was low risk because even a league average OLT is worth more than a fifth in a trade.

I would love to know what the coaches really think about the OLT trio on the roster. Williams looked very good in preseason. Do they think he can become a starter? Do they think or just hope Battle can become a starter? If these players do ascend then there won't be any hope to retain them come free agency and the investment would be lost.

If we were talking about developmental Guards or Centers this wouldn't be as interesting but OLT is still a primo, high demand position and if things panned out the Rams could have some interesting trade chips in the future.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
It might be - if we still haven't found his best position.

But I think he is the LT and will be for a long time.
Patience is part of that equation in terms of moving a guy around too. He's basically spent one training camp at LG and one at LT. Shall we try for a 3rd training camp at RG and expect different results? That's ADD coaching and irresponsible to be honest.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
So
Leaving him there if he continues to look ordinary against any decent pass rusher isn't good either. I think he's best at LG.
So what's your criteria as far as a timeline to expect a player to jump from position to position until he eventually "gets it?" One year? 8 games?
So much impatience up in here.

I agree he's progressing slowly but come on...would you also advocate trying him at RT if he was moved to RG tomorrow and still didn't "get it" by week 12?

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
So

So what's your criteria as far as a timeline to expect a player to jump from position to position until he eventually "gets it?" One year? 8 games?
So much impatience up in here.

I agree he's progressing slowly but come on...would you also advocate trying him at RT if he was moved to RG tomorrow and still didn't "get it" by week 12?

Well for one I've said from the moment we drafted him that he would be a better guard so I'm not just coming up with this out of the blue.

As far as how long to leave him there if the light bulb doesn't go off? Depends on if there's a LT worth taking in the draft when we select, or if there's a solid youngish FA available.

As for advocating him just jumping from spot to spot I said earlier in this thread that a player good enough to move him mid season isn't on this roster. So I'm not advocating moving him in this season. I don't think a potential move at the end of a season is all that impatient. If he doesn't make serious strides by the end of the year I'd look at our options for sure. Why wouldn't we? We already know the guy can play guard from before so to me this scenario is completely plausible. I want the best 5 on the field. If that means we can draft a top tackle or get a proven FA and move him I think we should be open to it. I'm not being negative by saying that his pass blocking right now isn't good enough for LT right now.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Well for one I've said from the moment we drafted him that he would be a better guard so I'm not just coming up with this out of the blue.
I get that part. He came out of college a raw mauler = Guard.

As far as how long to leave him there if the light bulb doesn't go off? Depends on if there's a LT worth taking in the draft when we select, or if there's a solid youngish FA available.
More specifically how long do you keep him at LT? Then at LG? Then at RG? You see what i'm getting at? Patience. Let him learn a position for more than 10 months before declaring it's time to move him around again.

As for advocating him just jumping from spot to spot I said earlier in this thread that a player good enough to move him mid season isn't on this roster. So I'm not advocating moving him in this season. I don't think a potential move at the end of a season is all that impatient. If he doesn't make serious strides by the end of the year I'd look at our options for sure. Why wouldn't we? We already know the guy can play guard from before so to me this scenario is completely plausible. I want the best 5 on the field. If that means we can draft a top tackle or get a proven FA and move him I think we should be open to it. I'm not being negative by saying that his pass blocking right now isn't good enough for LT right now.
Ok well we disagree here. Fair enough. IMO it would be an impatient, snap judgement type move. I'd like to keep him at LT at least through the end of training camp next season and see where he's at. If by that time someone else emerges and passes him by as a better LT then damn straight, he loses the job.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I get that part. He came out of college a raw mauler = Guard.

More specifically how long do you keep him at LT? Then at LG? Then at RG? You see what i'm getting at? Patience. Let him learn a position for more than 10 months before declaring it's time to move him around again.

Ok well we disagree here. Fair enough. IMO it would be an impatient, snap judgement type move. I'd like to keep him at LT at least through the end of training camp next season and see where he's at. If by that time someone else emerges and passes him by as a better LT then damn straight, he loses the job.

I'd keep him at LT until the end of the year. I don't think his ability to play guard will ever be an issue so I don't forsee him ever having to move again. It may seem like impatience, but really this is a playoff team now in my mind. We're another good WR and some consistent line play away from being able to challenge for NFC champ. 4 years waiting on Quick to even become average, now we're talking GRob safe for three before even considering to move him, even though a good LT FA or pick may be available? At a certain point we would have to move past waiting on potential and look for production or we'll never get to the promised land. Best case scenario he puts it together and renders this conversation unnecessary. But if he doesn't, I think keeping an eye out for a guy who can step in and solidify that position would be wise.

Edit
Don't forget we're expecting Brown to switch back and forth from left to right and he hasn't played but 5 games. If a 4th round pick can be expected to reasonably do that, I think giving two years is enough for the #2 overall to lock down a job. And if course he'd be moving back to a position we know he can play so we wouldn't be just cutting bait.

Last edited:

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
Smart move, hopefully this keeps Battle exactly where we want him till we need him.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I hope I was mislead, but I have not read a single thing that makes me think that Battle can be a starting LT in this league. That is not to say that he can't, I just have not heard anything other than he would be a liability at this level...especially at LT. I would be interested in @CoachO thoughts on this as he may have gotten some looks at camp this year.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hope I was mislead, but I have not read a single thing that makes me think that Battle can be a starting LT in this league. That is not to say that he can't, I just have not heard anything other than he would be a liability at this level...especially at LT. I would be interested in @CoachO thoughts on this as he may have gotten some looks at camp this year.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/201...e-2015-nfl-supplemental-draft-scouting-report

At the NFL Supplemental Draft this Thursday, July 9, NFL teams are giving consideration to the latest group of eligible players. These athletes, who missed the deadline to declare their draft eligibility but are no longer able to compete for a college team, are essentially using their last shot to stand out for teams before training camp begins. It's rare for a player to be selected in the supplemental draft; troubled receiver Josh Gordon was the most recent selection in 2012. That can be attributed in part to the NFL's rules for the event.

Teams are ordered via a lottery system based on their records in the previous season. The Bills, with a 9-7 record and a finish outside of the playoffs, will be placed somewhere between the Nos. 11 and 20 picks in this order. Once the order is set, teams are allowed to bid a draft pick in a specific round on any players they want to draft. If a player is bid upon, the team who submitted the highest bid is awarded the player, and sacrifices the corresponding round's pick in the next year's draft.

With the inherent risk in the supplemental draft (submitting a pick for a player doesn't necessarily award him to a team, and all of the players in the event carry different flaws or character concerns that aren't as prevalent in the spring event), it's understandable that so few players are picked. In this year's class of seven prospects, however, there may be one that merits a selection: former Clemson left tackle Isaiah Battle.

Isaiah Battle
  • Position: Offensive Tackle
  • Class: Senior
  • College: Clemson
  • Ht/Wt: 6'7", 310 pounds
Scouting Report
Battle played in 27 games and started 16 during his three years with Clemson. He certainly has the build for the position; at nearly 6'7" with 35-inch arms, Battle has enough length to keep most defenders at bay even when his technique fails him. He's also a great mover, with good agility and plenty of burst. He can pull around the end or block downfield on a screen, and doesn't have trouble with positioning. Battle doesn't have issues with motivation; he often heads straight at his opponents, burying his head to drive them away.

Right now, Battle's biggest flaw is a weak anchor. That stems from two causes: an underdeveloped lower body, and issues with his technique. Battle has skinny legs, and played between 285 and 295 pounds during most of his Clemson career. He has the frame to bulk up, and started to do that in his senior year, but that will have to continue in the NFL. Battle also has to learn how to use his size properly; he doesn't play with his feet under him, leaning forward and bending at the waist to make blocks. It saps him of strength and messes up his balance.

There are other parts of Battle's technique that need more consistency. While his kick-slide is potentially very good, he doesn't always mirror his opponents well enough. Sometimes he steps in place while his opponent attacks his outside shoulder, and that leads to bad positioning. His hands are also inconsistent; he's just as likely to place them on an opponent's chest as they are to do the same to him, and that's not something that should be happening with his long arms.

Then there are the character concerns. Battle was ultimately dismissed from Clemson following a few different incidents in his college career. He was suspended in 2013 after punching a player on the field, then again in 2014 for an unexplained incident. Battle was recently cited for speeding and possession of marijuana after a traffic stop. While he wasn't arrested, that event earned him his collegiate ouster. Battle is entering the supplemental draft because he has a child on the way, but it's also because he's out of chances in college.

Verdict
Battle has some talent and physical tools, but he more time in the weight room, and his fundamentals need work. A left tackle with his size and movement ability is not easy to find, which should give him a shot at being selected on Thursday. Still, he has a long way to go before being ready to start, and his history of incidents doesn't help his cause.

People should definitely consider the Bills a potential landing place for Battle. The team only has three roster locks at offensive tackle in Cordy Glenn, Seantrel Henderson, and Cyrus Kouandjio. If Buffalo thinks Battle has a future in this league, they could certainly use him for depth. Rex Ryan also has connections to the Clemson program through his son, who plays for the team.

That being said, there are plenty of other teams that could use an athlete with Battle's upside, and several of them will slot ahead of Buffalo in the per-round pecking order. I'd be surprised if a team offers more than a fourth-round selection for Battle - and with the Bills already down one 2016 NFL Draft pick (Round 7, involved in the Matt Casseltrade), they may not be willing to yield another one for a project player with character concerns.

My reading of this is that right now he wouldn't be an asset at left tackle. If he adds enough strength in the weight room, and picks up NFL caliber technique, that would change. One of the things I like about them giving him a raise is that means the Rams think he is working hard at getting the strength and technique he needs.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
LOL, no you didn't. I was making fun. I know you were vehemently against resigning Incognito. I had no problem with it.

It was just a joke.

Ah. Punny puns are very punny, I guess. ;)