Rams make 2y offer to RFA Center Ryan Groy(Buffalo)/Bills match offer

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Hopefully it is a front loaded contract ; the larger amount this year will tie Buffaloes hands against this years CAP and help the Rams out next year if the Rams have to part ways next season, the Cap hit would be smaller.

TexasRam

Legend
Jrry,

What do you think of this Center? Don't remember seeing him in any of your mocks but I'm sure you have an opinion on him?

We seek your Wisdom oh great one. We have come to your forum seeking understanding.

tumblr_nb5607F3Li1qf9mevo1_500.gif

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Hopefully it is a front loaded contract ; the larger amount this year will tie Buffaloes hands against this years CAP and help the Rams out next year if the Rams have to part ways next season, the Cap hit would be smaller.

You beat me to it, as it is with their other two Centers they have over $8.5mil tied up in CAP, trying to match the Rams two year front loaded contract could have their investment jump to the $14.5mil range for just this one position on the OL. Along with decent guaranteed money, I'm not seeing it. He's going to be ours. jmo.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jrry,

What do you think of this Center? Don't remember seeing him in any of your mocks but I'm sure you have an opinion on him?

We seek your Wisdom oh great one. We have come to your forum seeking understanding.

tumblr_nb5607F3Li1qf9mevo1_500.gif

He was in my last two mocks, so I like him. He stepped in when Wood was hurt this year and played well over his seven starts. He's not Travis Frederick, but Kromer has coached him in each of his last two stops, so he clearly likes the kid. Groy definitely has the size and strength that Kromer looks for in an OL. Personally, I think he's a solid Center. And I'm good with that.

Big boy (6'5" 320) with power. High effort guy who is assignment sound. Can generate movement and uses angles well. Plays a bit high which negates some of his natural power. Pretty mediocre athlete and mover (a little heavy-legged). Big, powerful hands and good arm length for a Center.

Last edited:

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
If the Bills do match, can we submit an amended, better offer sheet if we really want him? Or are we limited to one shot at him?

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Took a glance at the bills forums and the fans really like Groy. If it wasnt for Wood's contract, I think some would want to keep Groy and instead of Wood.

TexasRam

Legend
He was in my last two mocks, so I like him. He stepped in when Wood was hurt this year and played well over his seven starts. He's not Travis Frederick, but Kromer has coached him in each of his last two stops, so he clearly likes the kid. Groy definitely has the size and strength that Kromer looks for in an OL. Personally, I think he's a solid Center. And I'm good with that.

Big boy (6'5" 320) with power. High effort guy who is assignment sound. Can generate movement and uses angles well. Plays a bit high which negates some of his natural power. Pretty mediocre athlete and mover (a little heavy-legged). Big, powerful hands and good arm length for a Center.

I must have missed your last two mocks.

Is there any better projected center at our rd2 pick?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

The two most discussed centers from the draft are Pocic & Elflein, and both have been receiving late 2'nd round, early 3'rd round grades for the most part. Pocic had been leading the category pretty much from the end of the college season until the Combine, but I see that CBS posted new grades yesterday which lowered Pocic to a solid 3'rd and raised Elflein to a 2-3. As @jrry32 mentioned earlier how Kromer prefers bigger men on the OL, and besides the fact that Groy is a young, somewhat experienced vet, he's also bigger than what the best of the 2017 draft has to offer. Anyway, as posted earlier, Wisconsin is well regarded for pumping out prepared offensive linemen, and so far, Groh appears to be the real deal. jmo.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Yes.

But I'd rather use our second on another position. If we grab Groy, we can take a talented CB, edge rusher, or WR/TE with our second.

If the Bills do match, can we submit an amended, better offer sheet if we really want him? Or are we limited to one shot at him?

One shot.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
People saying this is a far cry from Fisher, that's not exactly true. Once Fisher first started here he signed CB Cortland Finnegan, C Scott Wells, WR Steve Smith, DT Kendall Langford, OLB Jo-Lonn Dunbar and a few other guys. We were all very excited about it too.

I love the way this offseason is going but I just can't get too excited anymore. My heart can't handle it.

Limey

Rookie
Apart from the positives about Groy himself (size, age, success with Kromer etc) not needing to consider taking a C in round 2 is another benefit of getting this done. I still want Watt in round 2, but a CB, WR or TE would be OK with me.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
If they get this done I will be ecstatic, bringing in talent at LT C WR and CB that's just awesome! Not to mention I hate drafting o line men !!!!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Trumaine
Gaines
Hill
Joyner
Webster
Jordan

Lots of depth there. I like it.

I would keep Trumaine unless there is a significant gain in a trade.

If the Bills match maybe the Rams should give up on getting picks for Tru and try to trade him straight up for Groh. They would not be on the hook for a CB that doesn't really fit the system.

Okay so I have a question. Now that we've done a decent job filling holes, is it possible that we actually let tru play and sign him later? I mean, I only wanted him gone because we didn't have cap space to sign free agents. We've signed 4 lol. I'm kind of okay with his veteran leadership with a rookie and Webster

He is more of a zone CB. Wade P. Likes press cover corners. It could mean they draft a corner in round 2. There could be 3 good press cover corners at the top of round 2. It would suck if an offensive weapon like TE Evan Ingram was still on the board. He is a great fit for MvcVay's offense.

Rams smartly waited until after Eric Wood's and Richie Icognito's roster bonuses were paid so it is not really an option to cut those big money guys to make space for Groy. Love how we are operating this offseason.

Genius!

Apart from the positives about Groy himself (size, age, success with Kromer etc) not needing to consider taking a C in round 2 is another benefit of getting this done. I still want Watt in round 2, but a CB, WR or TE would be OK with me.

I have about four other players that I would take over Watt in round 2. I think the board overrated him a bit.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the Bills match maybe the Rams should give up on getting picks for Tru and try to trade him straight up for Groh. They would not be on the hook for a CB that doesn't really fit the system.

The Bills don't even have $16.7 million in cap room. And that would be a bad trade if all we got was Groy.

I have about four other players that I would take over Watt in round 2. I think the board overrated him a bit.

Watt has strong film, strong production, and the analytics love him. He'd be the ideal pick for us in the second.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Possible but they would really need to sign him to an extension then. They're sitting right now at about $20 million in cap space.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Again work has been crazy totally fell asleep on Groy being with Kromer in Chicago too....Sure hope the Bills don't match, sure would love to improve a Center as that position has been an ongoing issue for quite some time.

And his Wikipedia page states that he's a member of the Los Angeles Rams so it must be true. They just need to update him from a Guard to a Center.

Ryan "Yorg" Groy (born September 30, 1990) is an American footballoffensive guard for the Los Angeles Rams of the National Football League (NFL). Groy was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Chicago Bears in 2014. He started 3 games in his rookie season, while appearing in 4 total for the Bears. He played college football at Wisconsin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Groy