Rams make 2y offer to RFA Center Ryan Groy(Buffalo)/Bills match offer

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Groy and the bills probably talked about a deal at some point and Groy and/or his agent may have thought he was worth 4 or 5m, and the Bills disagreed. so instead of locking him in at 2.5m or w/e the 2nd rd tender price is, and having to talk him down from the bar he set for himself being in that 4-5m range, they let him go try and find his value. He came back with 2.5m so now he, and the Bills know exactly where teams value him. If they think hes worth that much they simply match it, but now they dont have to overpay because Groy mistakenly thinks hes worth more than the Bills are offering.

Theres really no downside to the Bills using the original draft pick tender, because in the end they were only going to pay him at whatever price they felt he was worth, so if he landed a better offer they simply move on and find his replacement a year earlier.

@Picked4td, thank you for the explanation. I agree with what you are saying in general. But, there are some details here that I'm not sure I understand or not making my point clear. You say let him find his value. I say why? The team has the leverage in the negotiation. He is a Restricted FA for a reason. You can keep the player from reaching the market, regardless of what he thinks his value is. If you think the player is a back up and value him somewhere between 1.5 and 2 mil per season, and don't want outside bidding on the player, tender him at 2-mil, not 1.3. If the Bill's match the Rams offer, they will have to pay 3.5 mil this season which is almost 3X what they tendered him at. And, it is 75% more than than the 2nd pick Comp tender of 2-mil. I guess I'm only seeing the value of the upcoming season and not beyond. I don't understand why you would let a 3rd party inflate the value of a contract when you're in full control of keeping it low.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe

BOO THIS MAN! BOO!

maxresdefault.jpg

bluecoconuts

Legend

That's looking at things in a bubble, which is what most fans do. Groy was good for them, he can play multiple positions, and he's probably worth that contract. In a bubble it seems pretty no brainer to match that offer, they can and he's been good for them.

But expand on that bubble a little and you see that they have a new scheme, and there are questions about how well he fits in that scheme. 2.5 million for a backup isn't ideal, especially when you have other positions of need.. 2.5 million for a guy who can't play well in your scheme is how people get fired.

There's also 10 OL on that roster already... Now one of those ten is a RFA like Groy, but it seems they'll likely keep him... So now you have 11 guys on your roster, one has to go already unless you're going to carry 11, which is stupid. So they're gonna have to cut someone, might as well let it be him.

Who knows what they'll do.. I guess we'll find out Saturday though, hopefully the next two days at work go by quickly and quietly. I think the longer it goes on the less likely it is they match. If they wanted to match they would have already, which tells me they either are leaning towards not matching and they're finishing up their homework, or they're not gonna match but they're not gonna let us know ah ahead of time and instead make us wait out the 5 days.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
That's looking at things in a bubble, which is what most fans do. Groy was good for them, he can play multiple positions, and he's probably worth that contract. In a bubble it seems pretty no brainer to match that offer, they can and he's been good for them.

But expand on that bubble a little and you see that they have a new scheme, and there are questions about how well he fits in that scheme. 2.5 million for a backup isn't ideal, especially when you have other positions of need.. 2.5 million for a guy who can't play well in your scheme is how people get fired.

There's also 10 OL on that roster already... Now one of those ten is a RFA like Groy, but it seems they'll likely keep him... So now you have 11 guys on your roster, one has to go already unless you're going to carry 11, which is stupid. So they're gonna have to cut someone, might as well let it be him.

Who knows what they'll do.. I guess we'll find out Saturday though, hopefully the next two days at work go by quickly and quietly. I think the longer it goes on the less likely it is they match. If they wanted to match they would have already, which tells me they either are leaning towards not matching and they're finishing up their homework, or they're not gonna match but they're not gonna let us know ah ahead of time and instead make us wait out the 5 days.

Yeah - why wait the fulll 5 days ??If you want a player isn't it best to make him feel wanted. He knows Kromer wants him. Both with 3 different teams?

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
Yeah - why wait the fulll 5 days ??If you want a player isn't it best to make him feel wanted. He knows Kromer wants him. Both with 3 different teams?
There are actually a few reasons to wait.
  • If they are working on signing other FAs, those potential signings may factor into their willingness to match the Rams offer.
  • The time allows them to feel out what signing a replacement would cost.
  • The Bills have two other RFAs that could be offered deals at any time. Holding off gives them flexibility in case they have to match other deals as well.
If they already made up their mind that they are matching, then you can throw these out, otherwise it makes sense to hold off as long as possible.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Man o man..Why couldn't we have just offered an extra million and not stressed over this.

Wasn't Barnes making like $3.5M this year ?

CanRamFan

Starter
Name
Joe
I can see both sides of this. There's reasons for Buffalo to match or pass, but ultimately we have to remember the Rams organization has a lot more info than we do. From the Rams perspective it has to be either :

1. The current offer is the highest value they place on Groy and just simply aren't willing to pay any more than that

Or

2. They have inside info and are really confident Buffalo won't match the Rams offer

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
What makes you so sure they will match? If you read the entire thread, then you should agree that there are a few reasons for them not too.

Groy is a good player. Could start at a C or even G I think on most teams. He is quite young and at an incredibly reasonable salary. He would cost less than Barnes last year. For 1M in cap space, I just don't see a team folding.

Of course I could be wrong. I just think the Bills make a huge mistake by not matching

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
I think the chances are in our favor that the Bills decline to match. Their opinion of him is shown in how they tendered him only for right of first refusal; shows they don't see him as much more than depth. That contract isn't starter money, but it's likely too much for the Bills to want to pay.
They must (Rams Front Office) know something we don't