Rams like Micah Kiser, but LB will be an open competition’

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams like Micah Kiser, but linebacker will be 'an open competition'

[theramswire.usatoday.com]

Cameron DaSilva

There may not be a position group in the NFL with less proven talent than the Rams’ inside linebacker unit. After losing Cory Littleton in free agency, they’ve been left with a host of players who barely have any starting experience in the NFL.

In fact, Troy Reeder and Travin Howard are the only two linebackers left who took a single defensive snap for the Rams last season, though neither of them played more than 300 individually.

In a normal offseason, they’d be getting ready to compete for starting jobs during OTAs next week, but that competition will have to wait until minicamp and training camp eventually take place at some point.

And when the Rams do hit the field, it’s going to be “an open competition,” according to defensive coordinator Brandon Staley.

“I think it’s competitive. You’ve got to let things play out. Inside linebacker, in particular, there aren’t very many guys that have played a lot of football there, so that’s going to be an open competition,” Staley said on a conference call with reporters Thursday. “You’ve gotten glimpses of those guys. Troy Reeder, T-Howard and Kenny Young, you’ve gotten glimpses of them as pro players. I know we have high regard for Micah Kiser within our building. He had that unfortunate injury in the preseason. We’ve just got to let the position sort itself out when things go live.”

It’s not surprising that Staley singled out Kiser as someone the Rams like. He was supposed to be a starter next to Littleton last season, but he suffered a pectoral injury in the preseason, which landed him on IR and forced him to miss his second season in the NFL.

Kiser has still never taken a defensive snap as a pro, but he should be considered the frontrunner to win one of the two inside linebacker jobs. Howard would be a nice complement next to him, given his range and coverage ability as a former safety. But as Staley said, things will sort themselves out when practices start.

As for the outside linebacker spot, Staley didn’t share as many details. He did say that players such as Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, Samson Ebukam, Jachai Polite, Natrez Patrick and Justin Lawler will be fighting for spots on defense. Staley also said he was excited to reunite with Leonard Floyd and add Terrell Lewis in the draft, both of whom fit the mold of his prototypical edge rusher.

“On the edge, excited to add Leonard and Terrell Lewis. And then you’ve got Obo and Samson, Jachai Polite, Natrez Patrick, Justin Lawler – those guys will be fighting for positions,” he said.

With a shortened and modified offseason, it’s going to be hard to sort out these positions on defense because players are only meeting on Zoom and working out individually. So when practices do resume, the Rams will have to study their linebackers quickly and determine who the best players are.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think most of feel that Kiser is an upgrade over Troy Reeder now let's hope Travin Howard is ready to step up in Cory Littleton's role.

I liked Kiser quite a bit coming out Virginia and was excited to see him perform last season, unfortunately it did not come to fruition because of the injury. Then we were hopeful Bryce Hager would do the job and before we knew it, some kid out of Delaware who looked slow was starting and nobody was talking about it. Did the coaching staff even acknowledge that Troy Reeder started because it sure seemed like they didn't.

Kiser is very smart too, so with new DC Brandon Staley focusing on stopping the run, Micah Kiser was tailor made for it and maybe he'll improve in coverage as well.
1590160808649.png

Kevin

Pro Bowler
There may not be a position group in the NFL with less proven talent than the Rams’ inside linebacker unit.

Seems like a stretch to say this. Terms like position group and unit can apply to any functional part of a team. There could be four rookie quarterbacks starting this season along with a few rookie RBs and wideouts. I would say that any position group with a rookie starting by default Has the least proven talent.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
There may not be a position group in the NFL with less proven talent than the Rams’ inside linebacker unit.

Seems like a stretch to say this. Terms like position group and unit can apply to any functional part of a team. There could be four rookie quarterbacks starting this season along with a few rookie RBs and wideouts. I would say that any position group with a rookie starting by default Has the least proven talent.

I can think of loads of other unproven groups. Cincinattis QB room for a start.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Littleton was solid but come on, it's not like we lost Ray Lewis, Brian Urlacher and Derrick Brooks...

Agreed, Littleton was a great coverage LB but not a great MLB. He was constantly washed out on running plays.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I thought when we drafted Kiser we had a steal. Great against the run, very good recognition skills, and good on the blitz. Yes there was questions about his coverage skills but I still thought he would be great vs the run. After watching how bad he looked in the preseason I'm not expecting much. He made Hager look good out there :palm:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think Kiser has benefitted from a crazy groundswell of fan support not just on this site but others too. But he hasn't really done anything to deserve it.

The guy was a one-dimensional run stuffer in college and not an elite run stuffer either, I had him more at that solid range as he had issues getting buried in traffic and wasn't rare in his anticipation or athleticism. And dropping into zone he looked like a fish out of water. As a pro he's been working and learning and that's cool and all but in spite of the Rams singing his praises I remain skeptical he will live up to expectations.

So IMO the competition should really be wide open which is a good thing. There will only be 1 ILB on the field for a lot of snaps most likely (due to the fact our DBs are better) so I am just as intrigued by Howard, Reeder, Patrick, etc as I am with Kiser. May the best man win.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Agreed, Littleton was a great coverage LB but not a great MLB. He was constantly washed out on running plays.
I think they would have attempted to keep him if he could stop the run.

He was really so so in that area.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg

I think the addition of DT robinson and the improved secondary will help our linebackers tremendously. I also think staleys scheme is more linebacker friendly and under his coaching at least 2 of these inexperienced guys are going to make a big splash.

Its now or never for obo and i think he rises to expectations. Ebukam keeps getting better and there is alot of raw talent with the rest.

I feel this position group will take advantage of the coaching, improved dline and secondary and surprise us.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Our outside linebackers look really good. When you have Terrell Lewis and Jachai Polite as backups, you know you look good. And Ebukam, Okoronkwo, and Floyd (who can play inside) are solid.

Inside, I'm a little concerned. I do like Travin Howard a lot, actually; he reminds me of Littleton. I could see a huge competition for those remaining slots. I'm not a fan of Reeder; I think he's a possible cut. Kiser could be a potential cut as well if he fails to live up to expectations. Kenny Young is okay, I guess, but he'll be competing with Howard for that specific starting job. You have Clay Johnston who should figure into things, if he's healthy (and if he's not, I can see him on the PUP/IR.) Rozeboom and London are sleeper picks to make this roster; I think Rozeboom is going to be solid, in particular.

Ram65

Legend
Let the competition begin soooooooooon! It's wide open.

I see a lot of sub packages on defense.

“On the edge, excited to add Leonard and Terrell Lewis. And then you’ve got Obo and Samson, Jachai Polite, Natrez Patrick, Justin Lawler – those guys will be fighting for positions,” he said.

Nice to see him mention Polite.

I can see Leonard moving in the middle on passing downs if Lewis is as good as I think he will be. Ebu, Obo and Polite can help out off the edge with Lewis. Fox can rush the passer as well. Patrick and Lawler are on the bubble.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Littleton was solid but come on, it's not like we lost Ray Lewis, Brian Urlacher and Derrick Brooks...

(It's always funny to me how people's opinions of players nosedive after they're gone to other teams.)

This is probably a dumb question, but since we're overloaded with depth/talent at OLB, how come none of them can be moved to the inside pool?

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
I think Kiser has benefitted from a crazy groundswell of fan support not just on this site but others too. But he hasn't really done anything to deserve it.

The guy was a one-dimensional run stuffer in college and not an elite run stuffer either, I had him more at that solid range as he had issues getting buried in traffic and wasn't rare in his anticipation or athleticism. And dropping into zone he looked like a fish out of water. As a pro he's been working and learning and that's cool and all but in spite of the Rams singing his praises I remain skeptical he will live up to expectations.

So IMO the competition should really be wide open which is a good thing. There will only be 1 ILB on the field for a lot of snaps most likely (due to the fact our DBs are better) so I am just as intrigued by Howard, Reeder, Patrick, etc as I am with Kiser. May the best man win.

He's benefiting from the Coaches and GM praising the guy. First of all he played a lot of football and made a lot of tackles in the ACC. But the only real reason people are talking him up is because his coaches and team are talking him up. Nobody is going to give someone a chance in the NFL because of fans on the internet. The guy is earning his opportunities and the confidence shown in him from those who are paid to develop talent.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
Rams like Micah Kiser, but linebacker will be 'an open competition'

[theramswire.usatoday.com]

Cameron DaSilva

There may not be a position group in the NFL with less proven talent than the Rams’ inside linebacker unit. After losing Cory Littleton in free agency, they’ve been left with a host of players who barely have any starting experience in the NFL.

In fact, Troy Reeder and Travin Howard are the only two linebackers left who took a single defensive snap for the Rams last season, though neither of them played more than 300 individually.

In a normal offseason, they’d be getting ready to compete for starting jobs during OTAs next week, but that competition will have to wait until minicamp and training camp eventually take place at some point.

And when the Rams do hit the field, it’s going to be “an open competition,” according to defensive coordinator Brandon Staley.

“I think it’s competitive. You’ve got to let things play out. Inside linebacker, in particular, there aren’t very many guys that have played a lot of football there, so that’s going to be an open competition,” Staley said on a conference call with reporters Thursday. “You’ve gotten glimpses of those guys. Troy Reeder, T-Howard and Kenny Young, you’ve gotten glimpses of them as pro players. I know we have high regard for Micah Kiser within our building. He had that unfortunate injury in the preseason. We’ve just got to let the position sort itself out when things go live.”

It’s not surprising that Staley singled out Kiser as someone the Rams like. He was supposed to be a starter next to Littleton last season, but he suffered a pectoral injury in the preseason, which landed him on IR and forced him to miss his second season in the NFL.

Kiser has still never taken a defensive snap as a pro, but he should be considered the frontrunner to win one of the two inside linebacker jobs. Howard would be a nice complement next to him, given his range and coverage ability as a former safety. But as Staley said, things will sort themselves out when practices start.

As for the outside linebacker spot, Staley didn’t share as many details. He did say that players such as Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, Samson Ebukam, Jachai Polite, Natrez Patrick and Justin Lawler will be fighting for spots on defense. Staley also said he was excited to reunite with Leonard Floyd and add Terrell Lewis in the draft, both of whom fit the mold of his prototypical edge rusher.

With a shortened and modified offseason, it’s going to be hard to sort out these positions on defense because players are only meeting on Zoom and working out individually. So when practices do resume, the Rams will have to study their linebackers quickly and determine who the best players are.

I was thrilled when the Rams drafted Kiser and I still think he will earn a starting LB position for the Rams and have a good career with them!!!

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Ummm, I think Mark Barron will be our ILB.

or someone like him.....

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

or someone like him.....

i don't think so man. every move the team has made this offseason indicates they want a defense that can tackle well. i don't think barron fits that bill.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

or someone like him.....

I believe Travin Howard will be one starting ILB, so Howard was a Safety, however, nobody else on the roster fits Barron's mold and it's a different scheme under Staley and IMO, he wants to have one of the ILB a tad bigger.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He's benefiting from the Coaches and GM praising the guy. First of all he played a lot of football and made a lot of tackles in the ACC. But the only real reason people are talking him up is because his coaches and team are talking him up. Nobody is going to give someone a chance in the NFL because of fans on the internet. The guy is earning his opportunities and the confidence shown in him from those who are paid to develop talent.
You're starting to tread on the sacred ground of thinking the team and coaches are infallible. The longer you're a fan of this game, however, it will teach you that they're not. In fact clapping along with everything the team does or says would render sites like this obsolete.

I actually enjoy talking football without the constraints of agreeing with everything they do. Then discussing said opinion with others who do the same. If that's not you, no worries, click right on by brother cheers. (y)