Rams know what they'd be getting if they draft Matthews --PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams know what they'd be getting if they draft Matthews
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_a0649f18-02c7-5218-89ed-4edd0d28edf3.html

Jeff Fisher hadn’t seen Jake Matthews in years before they talked at the NFL scouting combine in February.

“He was about this tall,” Fisher said, raising his hand a foot or so above a table top.

Then Matthews, the highly-rated offensive tackle from Texas A&M, arrived at the Rams’ suite for his formal interview at the combine.

“He walked in the door, and it was if his dad was walking in the door,” Fisher said.

Fisher would know.

Bruce Matthews, Jake’s father, spent the last seven seasons of his Hall of Fame career playing offensive line for Fisher’s Houston Oilers-Tennessee Titans teams.

When Fisher watches Jake on tape at Texas A&M as part of his preparation for next month’s draft, he sees a lot of Bruce on the field.

“With Bruce having played all the position and being selected to the Pro Bowl ... he was probably one of the more flexible offensive linemen to ever (play),” Fisher said. “I think Jake’s got some similar traits. We haven’t see Jake play center yet or guard. But athletically, he can do both I’m sure.”

Competitiveness?

“He appears to be as competitive as his dad,” Fisher said. “His dad, if he was in this room, he would be doing something of a competitive nature.”

Durability?

“The one thing that’s been consistent throughout is durability in the family,” Fisher said. “Yeah. That’s hard to explain. It’s not incorrect to assume that Jake’s also going to be durable.”

Last but not least, is Jake Matthews as athletic as his father?

“I’ll have to tell you after the private workout,” Fisher said. “Don’t know. I would assume so.”

But it all helps explain why the latest Matthews off the assembly line shouldn’t be overlooked as an option for the Rams at No. 2 overall. That’s where he sits in the Post-Dispatch’s second mock draft for 2014, also know as “Mock 2.0.”

In “Mock 1.0” one month ago, we had the Rams taking defensive end Jadeveon Clowney at No. 2 after Houston took Central Florida quarterback Blake Bortles.

Fresh off Clowney’s highly-acclaimed workout Wednesday at South Carolina’s pro day, “Mock 2.0” has Houston taking him at No. 1. That leaves the Rams with their choice of any of the top offensive tackles at No. 2.

Matthews isn’t quite as physical as Greg Robinson of Auburn or Taylor Lewan of Michigan. But he’s a polished, technique-sound, accomplished blocker.

As the saying goes, he’s a “plug-and-play.” In other words, draft him, plug him into the starting lineup on Day One and watch him play for the next 10 years.

Then again, when it comes to the Matthews’ family, 10 years might be underachieving. His father, after all, made it 19 seasons including 14 Pro Bowls.

“It’s gonna be hard to get to 19 years and 14 straight Pro Bowls,” Jake said, smiling. “That could be difficult. That’s a pretty lofty goal to shoot for.”

When Matthews looks at his family’s football lineage, it’s unlike just about any in the history of the NFL.

Jake’s grandfather, Clay Matthews Sr., played in the NFL in the 1950s. Then came his father Bruce and his uncle Clay Matthews Jr. (Clay Jr. played 19 season for the Browns and Falcons.)

And now, Jake is about to join the third generation in the NFL.

His cousin, Clay Matthews III, is a four-time Pro Bowl linebacker for the Green Bay Packers. Another cousin, Casey Matthews, plays linebacker for Philadelphia.

That’s a long legacy to live up to.

“I’d like to think I wasn’t grand-fathered in,” Jake said, laughing. “I hope I earned my way here. It is special — the family I came from, and the relationships.”

It also makes for a tremendous resource, whether it’s advice on preparing for the draft from Clay. Or advice on how to execute a block from his dad.

Jake’s earliest memory of his father playing in the NFL is Super Bowl XXXIV, when the Rams defeated Fisher, Matthews and the Titans 23-16 to conclude the 1999 season. Matthews started at left guard in that game. Jake was a couple of weeks shy of his seventh birthday.

“But I’ve gone back and looked at him (on film),” Jake said. “Just a guy who plays hard, finished — really impressive to watch. I’m proud to call him my father. I’m trying to do the same thing he did, and if I could do half the things he did. I think I’d have a great career.”

Jake said his father wasn’t the type to push football on him, much less playing the offensive line. In fact, Jake played quarterback when he was younger. He didn’t more to the offensive line until his sophomore year in high school. But once he switched, his father was a huge help.

“I mean, having a Pro Football Hall of Famer help you figure out the position was definitely beneficial to make me the player I am today,” Jake said.

At A&M, he played left and right tackle. He handled the coaching staff change from Mike Sherman to Kevin Sumlin — and from pro style to spread offense — without trouble.

Now, he’s ready for the next step, which could include renewing his relationship with Fisher.

“I was just a kid running around when my dad was playing,” Jake said. “I knew (Fisher), but not really too well. ... I would love to play for him.”

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The quotes make it seem like fisher us pretty enamored with Matthews

jap

Legend
The Fisher King is gushing about all the blue chippers, making everyone play the guessing game. ;) Jake is clearly the most versatile choice, and, if his durability mirrors that of his old man, that would be a welcome relief for the Rams who have suffered from so many OL injuries in recent years.

This draft could go in so many different directions. If the Texans go QB, and the Horns feel they haven't gotten adequate offers for the #2 overall selection (the Clowney Pick), it would be super to tap Jadeveon. However, if they do that, I would surely hope they have a plan in place to move up to snare Jake or Greg and give themselves a LT for decade or more. The needs at safety or mitigated somewhat by the presence of Cody Davis, although they may still grab someone in a later round if they have enough ammunition in picks after the first two selections to move up for someone credible, although a third CB may be a more pressing need. I am guided here by the coaching brass' earlier statements about getting solid contributors in Round One.

If the Texans go with Clowney @ #1 overall or the Horns feel they received adequate compensation to swap the #2 overall pick, they probably target one of the two blue chip OT's, a #3 CB, and maybe a safety for development. Adding a WR in such a rich class would be smart with solid contributors available in the first two days.

It's always important to hit on selections, but with a playoff/championship push this upcoming season, getting contributors and shifting the attitude over completely to a winning, mistake-free disposition is really key now. We probably would have had a winning record and even made the playoffs last year if Sam the Ram remained healthy. It's time to put the finishing touches on this Horns makeover!

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Matthews is the safest pick but I don't think he'd have the biggest impact over a long period of time.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
You don't think keeping the QB upright is going to have an impact on the Rams long term?

I know that all Matthews has done so far is excel at doing whatever was asked of him on a football field, so I can see why there might be some hesitation.
Hopefully we'll get to see him pick up some tennis balls in his gym clothes so we can all get really excited.

FRO

Legend
Matthews is fun to watch play. Very athletic out on the edge, he locks down his man. I want him, Clowney, or Watkins.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
IMO this is the pick, now like everyone else I hope for a trade down to pick up some extra picks to take him at 4 or 5, however, Thomas was not going to do a mock that included trading. Many had the Rams including yours truly going Robinson, however, given Fisher's affinity for his past players I strongly believe that Matthews whether at 2 or 4 or even 5 will be the pick!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I get excited about the flash of Clowney and Watkins...

But this is probably the player I want most. Solid. Durable. Longevity.

My concern with the oline is the biggest on this team.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

But this is probably the player I want most. Solid. Durable. Longevity.

Agreed on all counts the O-Line is the biggest need and it now appears Fisher is going to take the most finished product who can step in on day one and play. Funny some will not see the flash, but when he's playing at an all-pro level for the next several years they will take it for granted because, he's just another Matthews!

SaneRamsFan

Rookie

But this is probably think player I want most. Solid. Durable. Longevity.

My feellings exactly. I start getting enticed by the thought oof the higher profile players, but at the end of the day I thInk we need this to be a meat and potatoes draft. I dont really care whether its robinson or matthews but our first pick needs tto be one of the two. None of this take clowney at two than trade back up business because we just llost another potential quality starter in that deal. The idea is gain one so if we trade back up we are down two, and that in my opinion is the worst ppossible move. You have to leave this draft with your ol stocked with quality as well as a safety, a corner, and an olb. That doesnt happen if you throw away picks so you can have clowney. Now if our fo sees it differently ok I back tbeir play. They know more than I. But this is the way I see it. Even if its not a ton you get in return, trade down.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
19 seasons from one player is like two #1 choices ,if he plays 15 and starts 90% of the games it will be the best pick Fisher ever made

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
19 seasons from one player is like two #1 choices ,if he plays 15 and starts 90% of the games it will be the best pick Fisher ever made
This could be the next Orlando Pace type lineman for the long haul. That would be fine with me! So many players get mustered out due to injury, if he's from a good stock with a history of longevity, it's a great pick. Not a sexy pick or huge splash like Tavon Austin, but solid and what we need to make sure Sam's not getting killed back there.

tbux

Rookie
I think Matthews is solid- not spectacular. I think it depends on where we end up picking ( I am of the opinion we will trade back) . If we stay at 2- I don't see us taking him - if we trade back- I have to think Watkins, Matthews and Robinson are the 3 we would be looking to take. I don't buy all of the family hype- I think Robinson is the better fit as I think he is the better run blocker and has the highest upside. We will see I guess.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
This could be the next Orlando Pace type lineman for the long haul. That would be fine with me! So many players get mustered out due to injury, if he's from a good stock with a history of longevity, it's a great pick. Not a sexy pick or huge splash like Tavon Austin, but solid and what we need to make sure Sam's not getting killed back there.
(y)
yup get it over with

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I'm warming up to this pick, and with the Fisher connection, he's probably our guy. I just hope we can trade down to #6 or something and still get him.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Durability?
Would that not be high on anyone's list for any OL that the Rams could get? Name me any other position that has had the numerous injuries since Fisher arrived than the OL cadre. Just last yr alone Rams lost four of the five starters to injury and 2012 was even worst.
How many starter injuries did the DL or the WR's/TE's or the RB's or the LB'ers in comparison...CB's had one safeties had one

Matthews isn’t quite as physical as Greg Robinson of Auburn or Taylor Lewan of Michigan. But he’s a polished, technique-sound, accomplished blocker.
As the saying goes, he’s a “plug-and-play.” In other words, draft him, plug him into the starting lineup on Day One and watch him play for the next 10 years.

Fisher lost starting ORG/emergency ORT Harvey Dahl & starting OLG & back up swing OT Chris Williams from last yrs OL Rams have not drafted any OL'ers in the first or second days of the 2012/2013 drafts in addition Fisher does not have a any of his Wavier Wire Contingencies (WWC's) OL'ers who have started any NFL games. Brandon Washington did finish the 17 wk game @ OLG. Rams have to critical needs an immediate starter @ OLG & a starter @ OLT in pre season & possibly early regular 2014 season games. it would seem to me that Matthews could be the only prospect that could fulfill those two critical needs in one prospect.

Getting this "Plug-&-Play"OL'er is what the doctor would order!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I forgot about WWC Center Tim Barnes who did start four games and finished five NFL games for the first time since he was a ram in 2011.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
It would be the dream scenario to me if the Rams could trade down to 6 and still get Mathews, a little risky, but the best of both worlds to me. I think he is the safest pick out there for the Rams. He's NFL caliber without a doubt. Will you hear his name called much? probably not until later when they are reading off the pro bowl roster and then it will probably be an annual occurrence. I believe in the Mathews gene pool because, well, it's kinda hard to dispute.