Rams Interest in TE's in the draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
Cameron DaSilva

12 hours ago
Hints can always be taken based on which prospects teams are meeting with leading up to the NFL draft. For the Los Angeles Rams, two positions have stood out as somewhat surprising.

Not only did they meet with a handful of running backs at the combine last month, but they’re also showing a clear interest in tight ends. In recent months, they’ve met with several players at the position, both draft prospects and free agents.

The Rams reportedly discussed signing Jordan Reed, who was released by the Redskins this offseason after clearing the league’s concussion protocol. They met with Purdue’s Brycen Hopkins at the Senior Bowl before he put together an impressive performance at the combine. And just this week, they met with two more tight ends in the Pacific Northwest: Oregon’s Jacob Breeland and Oregon State’s Noah Togiai.

It’s obvious the Rams are interested in adding reinforcements to the tight end room, even if not for a high cost in free agency or early in the draft. So what does this all mean for their current group of tight ends? That’s a good question.

Tyler Higbee finished the 2019 season with a stunningly productive stretch of five games, topping 100 yards in four of them. In total, Higbee caught 69 passes for 734 yards and three touchdowns last season.

Gerald Everett ended the year in a very different way. After injuring his knee in Week 11 against the Ravens, Everett didn’t catch a pass the rest of the season. He missed three games and played just four offensive snaps in the final two weeks as the Rams kept him on the sidelines. His final tally? In 13 games, he caught 37 passes for 408 yards and two touchdowns.

Higbee and Everett entered the 2020 offseason in polar opposite ways. Higbee finished on a high note, while Everett’s 2019 season couldn’t have ended much worse. Higbee just signed a four-year extension in September, while Everett has just one year left on his rookie deal.

On the surface, the Rams’ interest in tight ends would seem to put Everett’s future with the team in jeopardy. He’s younger, has a more intriguing skill set and is entering the final year of his contract. And given the way the Rams handled the position at the end of the 2019 season, it’s clear they feel good about Higbee.
“We’ve got big plans for him,” Sean McVay said at the combine. “That’s something that I thought it was great for him to be able to maximize those opportunities and we think he’s got a very bright future.”

But if the Rams are determined to free up cap space, there’s no mistaking which players offers more potential savings by being cut or traded.
If the Rams trade Higbee, they’ll save $6.2 million in cap space this year. If they deal Everett, the savings will only be $1.3 million. The Rams would save the same amount by cutting Everett, but releasing Higbee would only save them $200,000; that’s not really an option.

Could it be possible that the Rams featured Higbee so heavily late in the year to drive up his trade value? Two years ago, the were reportedly trying to get a sixth-rounder for him. Surely, the price has gone up after his breakout season. The Rams could probably get a fifth-rounder for Higbee now, if not a fourth.
As for Everett’s trade value, it’s difficult to gauge. He’s younger and a former second-round pick, but a team will only be getting one season out of him if he doesn’t sign an extension.

The Rams’ interest in tight ends doesn’t mean either player will be traded or cut. It could just be them doing their due diligence ahead of the draft in the event that one of their targets slides on Day 3.

But it’d be silly to ignore their interest in the position, given the number of players they’ve looked at.

Geez DeSilva continues to show me he knows nothing about the NFL and the Rams in particular. Hello, DahhhSilva perhaps it has to do with Everett is a UFA at the end of this coming season? He will find an eager market for his services and the Rams could easily be outbid for him. Why doesn't it occur to Cameron that it is the reason the Rams locked up Higbee with an extension while they could? They would be remiss if they didn't look at possible Everett replacements. Everett has emerged as a legitimate downfield threat from the TE position. Higbee has proved himself a good short to midrange possession receiver, i.e. the typical position role for a TE.

So it could be that the Rams will potentially offer Everett up as trade bait to get something for a player they are likely to lose in 2021. Or they simply will go with their compensatory pick route for losing Everett. Either way, it makes perfect sense to look long and hard at possible replacements. If they were to trade him it would be for nothing less than a mid to high second round pick or low first round pick or a good edge rusher if it's a player for a player type of trade.

oldnotdead

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just to throw this out there but Everett + pick 52 puts them right around pick 16 in the first round. The Dolphins and Raiders are at 18 & 19 respectively with multiple first-round picks. That might put them in range for a decent edge rusher.

I'm just saying......

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
No chance that trade up occurs. Everett doesn't move the trade needle. C'mon

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hope they give Devin Asiasi a good look.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I've been an advocate of the Rams using ACE sets a majority of the time, and it would require (for me, at least) two TE's who know how to block well with enough athleticism to come across the line and throw some wham blocks in addition to them being decent receivers. This would open up the short game for Goff and provide Gurley with more options as well. If Higbee could clone himself, this would be my ideal situation; but since he can't, I'd be all kinds of on board if the Rams were able to draft Kmet or Trautman.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just to throw this out there but Everett + pick 52 puts them right around pick 16 in the first round. The Dolphins and Raiders are at 18 & 19 respectively with multiple first-round picks. That might put them in range for a decent edge rusher.

I'm just saying......

So one year of Everett is worth approximately pick #28, when he has NOT been a successful second round pick?

Umm, no.

As I've posted before, Everett is worth a guy who is a quality backup, nearing free agency himself. Basically trading for some other team's strength at a Rams' weakness. One year of a guy who has not been a star and is going to be a free agent is not going to fetch a ton of draft pick value.

fearsomefour

Legend

I'm just saying......
Raiders have a stud TE.
Also, can’t see a team giving pick for Everett.

Wisconsinram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Mike
The Rams are showing interest in a number of possible TE's. Everett is in the last year of his rookie deal. While I think he has a ton of potential and perhaps has been underutilized, I have to believe they are preparing to move on. After all, how much could he possibly demand in a contract extension at this juncture of his career? It's not as if he has had the "breakout" year that leads to a free agency fortune. And after Tyler showed what he can do in the last half of the year, it doesn't appear he will be having that kind of year this season, either. So if the Rams truly had him in "the plans' for the future, why wouldn't they find the right deal to extend him now?

If the Rams wanted him and he realized his true value, what would it take to extend him and why aren't we hearing about how they are in negotiations?

I really like the player, but have to believe his tenure here has an end date.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He lime him too but I had higher hopes for Everett. I agree he can be replaced and is not a need to have.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I am normally not this stubborn on a player...

Everett’s pass catching skills just leap off the screen at me. I want him here.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am normally not this stubborn on a player...

Everett’s pass catching skills just leap off the screen at me. I want him here.

abso-fucking-lutely.

if the rams let go of cooks next year there should be ample cap space to sign everett. surely his blocking is up to scratch by now.

we've already seen how good he is catching the ball and getting yac.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
abso-fucking-lutely. If the rams let go of cooks next year there should be ample cap space to sign everett. surely his blocking is up to scratch by now. We've already seen how good he is catching the ball and getting yac.
I see flashes of near greatness every now & then with this receiver. But then Everett vanishes for excessive long periods of time.

What's ROD's thoughts on why has this former Snead top draft selection (now entering his 4th season & last under his rookie contract) has not paid the dividends anticipated when Snead utilized his highest valued draft asset in 2017 to acquire him?

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
With Everett leaving after this season and the dev time TE requires there is room to expect the Rams to add a TE in the draft. And having Higs as their inline guy who can threaten a bit in the passing game, and Mundt developing into an excellent depth inline TE it seems like they would be looking for potential passing game threats for their 12 sets.

So I don't know that Kmet or Trautman are in play, simply because of other team needs that are greater, though I'd be happy with either of them. IMO Kmet is going off the board first and almost surely before we're up. Trautman I'm not sure if he makes it to 52 (before the combine I thought he would surely be off the board) but I'd be very tempted because I think he's going to be a very nice passing game weapon.

But honestly we're better off going with any number of the smaller passing game types that are in this draft, with an eye to replacing Everett on the roster next year. Or just taking a wideout in that given round instead since that position will probably have more value. I don't think TE is any more likely than any other of those depth/need positions.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh and @oldnotdead since you need an avatar and are such a huge fan of Austin Blythe here's something you can use cheers! :D

1584205470215.png

Ram65

Legend
I see flashes of near greatness every now & then with this receiver. But then Everett vanishes for excessive long periods of time.

What's ROD's thoughts on why has this former Snead top draft selection (now entering his 4th season & last under his rookie contract) has not paid the dividends anticipated when Snead utilized his highest valued draft asset in 2017 to acquire him?

I think I tried answering this question at least once if not more. It's a big mystery why Everett has a good game and then he doesn't get the opportunities you expect him to get. McVay game plans based on the defense he plays each week. For the most part, he doesn't use two TE sets as he feels going with three WRs is best. Higbee is the better blocker so he gets the nod at the one TE spot. It was a shame that Everett got hurt and missed games late in the season. At least Higbee stepped up once McVay made a commitment to get him involved in the passing game. Everett has made plays and had a decent year considering is playing time and targets. He does add speed to the TE position.

LouisvilleRam

Hall of Fame
I don't understand some of these negative post towards Everett and these same type post were made about Higbee not long ago. Remember both of their stats suffer because of the playing time and talent of each other.Both are very good after the catch (YAC).

Last edited:

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Everett was open deep for at least 3 TD's that Goff couldn't connect on. He gets open on damn near any LB and he's pretty good on most Safeties too. He does take plays off and it has messed up the timing on some pass attempts. He needs to focus a little more to reach the next level. He looked really good in the Thursday night game against Seattle. Biggest issue is he gets dinged up with his violent play style.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One thing I think we could really use in this offense is a TE who has a feel for option routes. Which, for those who are not familiar, is basically running up to the defender's feet and getting him to commit, then making your cut the other direction. And if the defender is not in the area as expected you simply cut to where there's more space. Some guys just have a feel for this (like Witten) and it's why some TEs who aren't great athletes but who can do this routinely tend to get so open.

This would have been very effective last season when so many of our route combinations were sat upon by defenders. But I just don't know that we have anyone who has a good feel for running it. I would think this would benefit Everett greatly, however I don't see us running it really OR if we are running it he's just not very good at it.

Here's the game vs SF which came on the heels of his 136 yard game vs Seattle, which is one where I expected him to really factor in. But to this point he's been blanketed by DBs and the Rams have had him line up inside and out but on most plays the earlier reads were open or he simply did not get open. This is an example of how this game looked for him, and IMO it has a bit to do with design (9ers were all over our route combinations which is why we have a new OC), a bit to do with defensive play (Jimmy Ward who had a great season snuffs him out here), and a bit to do with Everett (his movement here doesn't exactly help him gain separation)...

Situation
1584211579731.png

#20 Jimmy Ward (left of #29) moves directly over him with man assignment
1584211722227.png

At the snap Ward is lined up with outside technique, and #54 Warner is backing off after faking blitz (he's lined up over Blythe). Warner will drop into a short zone to defend the drag area.
1584211813235.png

With a plus DB like Ward over the top with outside technique an option route should be dragged inside here (left) as Everett is not going to beat him breaking into the technique side. But it's either not an option route or Everett plays it wrong, cutting it outside into the DB.
1584212262699.png

As Jared reads back to his side, Everett reverses back with the DB all over him.
1584212336072.png

And to Everett's credit he makes a contested catch here with Ward all over him. But it's not a gainer where there's a chance for him to get the ball with some room to do what he does best, which is gain YAC.
1584212432930.png

We don't know play design or the calls of course, but as I watched this game Everett was easily nullified by the 9ers for the reasons cited above. This is just opinion here, but I feel like IF the Rams are not allowing him to "option" his short routes at the very least, they are failing to maximize his potential for contribution. And IF the Rams are giving him the green light to option he's not very good at it in spite of his considerable passing game gifts.

Last but not least this game was extremely painful to watch in protections too. But the play design in the passing game was just terrible in this first matchup vs the 9ers. Their defense was all over almost every route combination with DBs in favorable position and leverage as well as behind a great pass rush our OL could not handle. So IMO our problems were multiple and not hanging everything on Everett other than to say he was part of a very mediocre effort coming off that huge Seattle game.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Later in same game in a last gasp situation, Goff puts it up to Everett down the near hash which is a great opportunity for him but he slows up causing the incompletion vs Sherman on what should have been a TD. This one would have given him a good postgame box line if he simply would have run the route all the way out.

Situation
1584213804503.png

Presnap Everett is lined up bottom hash
1584214006355.png

At the drop Goff properly diagnoses the go route, noting the safety's shallow position leaving Sherman by himself
1584214062685.png

As Gerald crosses the 40 he starts to slow up, not expecting the ball no doubt, just as Goff winds it up. Sherm is already beat here.
1584214136993.png

Everett notices the ball in the air too late and can't get there
1584214226632.png