Rams in no hurry to choose a starting center/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams still in no rush to choose starting center
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...ms-still-in-no-rush-to-choose-starting-center

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- More than halfway through training camp and the preseason, the St. Louis Rams are still in no rush to choose a starting center.

According to coach Jeff Fisher, it's an ongoing process that might not get clarity until the last possible minute.

“It's going to be a really good race," Fisher said. "We probably won't make a decision until the opener or until kickoff.”

One would think the Rams will probably make a decision before they kick off Sept. 13 against the Seattle Seahawks, but in the three-way competition among Tim Barnes, Barrett Jones and Demetrius Rhaney, none have separated from the pack just yet.

Barnes started the preseason opener against Oakland, and Rhaney started the second against Tennessee. Most likely, Jones will get his chance to run with the first team Saturday night against the Indianapolis Colts.

At that point, all three will have had their chance to work with the starting group and the first round of cuts will be made. But it doesn't mean the Rams will stop the rotation they have going in the middle.

"The thing is, that's why we wanted to get guys working with [quarterback Nick Foles] every day," offensive line coach Paul Boudreau said. "We rotate the centers so one period Timmy is working with him, the next period Barrett is working with him and we have been doing it day to day.

"So it really doesn't matter who the center is now."

But while it might not matter much now, it certainly will when the season starts. The Rams have been patient with letting the competition play out. Some would argue that approach isn't ideal to build chemistry on the line, especially since the center is the guy primarily responsible for making the protection calls at the line of scrimmage.

So while there seems to be a lack of urgency to make a decision and settle in with Barnes, Jones or Rhaney, the counterargument to that is rushing into a decision could lead to choosing the wrong player, and then having to start all over again.

Given the relative lack of playing experience among Barnes, Rhaney and Jones, it's easier to understand why the Rams don't want to rush into a choice. Barnes is the only one of the three to start a game (he has got four), Jones has only played in spot duty and Rhaney has never appeared in a regular-season game.

Which is why Boudreau is preaching patience while putting a premium on deciphering which of the three candidates is best equipped to step in and handle all of the mental aspects that go with playing the position. Which is why Jones is probably a slight favorite with a chance to bolster his case by playing well against the Colts.

"I have confidence that whoever wins this job is going to be because of earning it," Boudreau said. "It's not because of longevity or we drafted a guy. I don't give a [darn] about that. It's one of those deals where you get into the game and you want the best five up there. So who is going to keep it all calm, who is going to make the right call and who is going to make us get in the right protections as far as getting in the game and knowing what to do."

Until the Rams are sure they have the player who can do all of those things, they're content to keep watching and waiting to make a decision.

V3

Hall of Fame
No, no need to get the starting O-line more reps together so they can develop chemistry and can perform as a unit.

Reps matter, Rams. You're near the bottom of the NFL for preseason snaps for your starters on the O-line, two of which are rookies, your C is practically a rookie, and your LT still looks like a rookie. They(the O-line) should be playing a lot more in the preseason and they should have already narrowed the C down to two.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm surprised they have not made a decision yet. Not questioning a coach like Boudreau here, but I think it would be best if they settle it this weekend so the last string of practices include plenty of snaps for the starter to get ready for the Seahawks.

So my guess is they want Jones to step up and take it on Saturday night. I hope that is the way it breaks down for a couple reasons:

1. Of the centers Rhaney is the guy who might be able to help out at OG in a worst case scenario. Best case scenario would be him as backup IMO.

2. I respect Barnes but don't think he has the upside to be any type of answer. If he wins the job he's gonna hold it down until next offseason/draft and hopefully play well enough to give this team a chance.

Lastly I do think the Rams' approach has much to do with the fact that they hope they'll have two dominant OGs in the middle. And if Roger stays healthy I admit it lessens the impact of who will start there because he and Brown would give this team a very powerful interior.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I'm truly conflicted here. I see both sides of the argument regarding the delay in making the C decision.

They sure don't want to pick the wrong player to start. A development setback is the last thing they need.

But on the other hand, there is real value in giving the chosen starter all the snaps possible to hasten the gelling process.

The problem is that none of the candidates has been able to clearly seize the position. And it's not because all 3 look like Pro Bowlers, unfortunately.

If it were my call, I would just pick one and roll with him for the remaining preseason. We're probably at the point where gelling value outweighs the hairsplitting value.

Besides, it's not written in stone. A change could be made later if the backup deserves the promotion to starter.

Coaches at this level are paid to evaluate and make tough decisions. So make the decision, already!

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I'm just assuming that he'll go with Barnes against the she-whores based on experience alone.

IMO he should have been named the starter by default back at start of training camp with Jones and Rhaney told to try and beat him out. That way everyone knows where they stand and the most experienced centre knows it's his job to lose.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
If we don't have a clear cut starter at this point, then these guys are all backup quality centers at best.

FRO

Legend
It shouldn't be surprising, Fisher likes to take his time. See the OC hiring process. I would like to pick a C and have the starting line play 3 quarters. That's just me. Fisher has his reasons and wants to make the right pick.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
I'm all for making the right choice, but how many times can we hear, "we aren't worried about this or that" before it translates to "we don't have a clue"?
We can't start every season with the same old we'll fix that mentality...sh-t has to get fixed sooner or later or you own up to the fact that its broken and you can't fix it.
Show some damn urgency somewhere.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
It's little things like this that contributes to the slow starts we have every year. The first quarter of the schedule is brutal so I hope our oline is ready.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
My trust in Fisher is beginning to sway more and more. I like the guy, but I can't help but believe we would already be one of the best teams in the NFL with a coach like Pete Carroll or Bill Belicheck.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
To me it depends on Barrett Jones' play this week. It should be his chance to start. As a back surgery patient and longtime OL I really wonder if he can finally fulfill the dream we pictured when we thought we stole him in the 4th round. He still seems to get steamrolled when pass blocking. He looked really well against 2nd and 3rd stringers last week getting to the second level and beyond with Watt eating big chunks. The back surgery just scares me as it will hit you again out of the blue during a long season and hopefully playoffs.Never faced a NFL season. GOD BLESS HIM...

Not knowing the plays called and who is making the best line calls as we don't get to do film study. We are truly blind to what is really being done and helping the team the most as we just watch plays on TV. We are in the dark to the communications made that are so vital to true success of each play and what that specific center sees with his eyes while the "D" is still moving and trying to confuse him. Jones was known for his high I.Q. and ability to lead at Bama.

My eye says Barnes looks the best overall not being pushed back into Foles and he makes me think we should have used our 4th round pick this last year on one of 3 centers (taken 4th Rnd) after we took Andrew Donnal. (Will he make final cut?)The seahawks taking one of those 3 centers right after the Donnal pick. If Barnes is our starter I think we are using one of our two second round picks next season on our next REAL STUD starting center. USC,Wisconsin,ND have the top rated centers going into this next season with the top 5 being SR's but the top two are projected now as 1st or 2nd rounders and the Wisconsin kid is the only JR. but he is the only one at the 320lb weight I like in my centers facing Pro Nose Tackles. The others are just under 300lbs but always add muscle weight before combine days.

We all expected one of our 3 guys to show some real seperation by now and Coach Paul would of already (If sure of a special guy) had pulled the string on getting our starter more reps with the other 4 starters going into the seahawk game and a Real Fast start this season knowing our first 5 games are blockbusters before the bye week. I feel Coach Fisher will get his full 5 year contract and probably an extension from Stan this season. Knowing Todd Gurley needs time and if the young OL where settled along with Foles being more comfortable and safer behind our front wall.

The center will be better than Wells was playing with 3 injuries last season but that is not enough for me when I want a stud center that has just one position (Not Fisher style) I know. If we are gonna be that Run First offense that throws from play action as the defense is looking run then Dangit give me a stud center to go with Greg Robinson , J. Brown , Havenstein and pray Saffold can finally solve his shoulder issues. Foles then may not have such happy feet. Just wish Center was given more IMPORTANCE to how Snead approached it when or if he thought about it one night drinking some fine Scotch. I'm very worried B. Jones looks good this week then his back issue raises its ugly head on a major hit or just a bad or funky twist that is a normal occurance. Who will we have kept for the back-up Center spot? Then what? Just call me concerned. Watch the Saints rock this season with that stud center for Brees. He'll look revived again.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
If we don't have a clear cut starter at this point, then these guys are all backup quality centers at best.

I agree. We don't have an NFL level center. And a lot of signs pointed to that before the off season even started.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Unlike a bar, they're not going to get any better looking closer to closing time.

They had all the centers in the program for at least a year, they should have known already what they had. Should have picked the starter day one of camp and let the other two try to unseat him. That's competition, what we have is a on going lesser of three evils audition.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
To me it depends on Barrett Jones' play this week. It should be his chance to start. As a back surgery patient and longtime OL I really wonder if he can finally fulfill the dream we pictured when we thought we stole him in the 4th round. He still seems to get steamrolled when pass blocking. He looked really well against 2nd and 3rd stringers last week getting to the second level and beyond with Watt eating big chunks. The back surgery just scares me as it will hit you again out of the blue during a long season and hopefully playoffs.Never faced a NFL season. GOD BLESS HIM...

Not knowing the plays called and who is making the best line calls as we don't get to do film study. We are truly blind to what is really being done and helping the team the most as we just watch plays on TV. We are in the dark to the communications made that are so vital to true success of each play and what that specific center sees with his eyes while the "D" is still moving and trying to confuse him. Jones was known for his high I.Q. and ability to lead at Bama.

My eye says Barnes looks the best overall not being pushed back into Foles and he makes me think we should have used our 4th round pick this last year on one of 3 centers (taken 4th Rnd) after we took Andrew Donnal. (Will he make final cut?)The seahawks taking one of those 3 centers right after the Donnal pick. If Barnes is our starter I think we are using one of our two second round picks next season on our next REAL STUD starting center. USC,Wisconsin,ND have the top rated centers going into this next season with the top 5 being SR's but the top two are projected now as 1st or 2nd rounders and the Wisconsin kid is the only JR. but he is the only one at the 320lb weight I like in my centers facing Pro Nose Tackles. The others are just under 300lbs but always add muscle weight before combine days.

We all expected one of our 3 guys to show some real seperation by now and Coach Paul would of already (If sure of a special guy) had pulled the string on getting our starter more reps with the other 4 starters going into the seahawk game and a Real Fast start this season knowing our first 5 games are blockbusters before the bye week. I feel Coach Fisher will get his full 5 year contract and probably an extension from Stan this season. Knowing Todd Gurley needs time and if the young OL where settled along with Foles being more comfortable and safer behind our front wall.

The center will be better than Wells was playing with 3 injuries last season but that is not enough for me when I want a stud center that has just one position (Not Fisher style) I know. If we are gonna be that Run First offense that throws from play action as the defense is looking run then Dangit give me a stud center to go with Greg Robinson , J. Brown , Havenstein and pray Saffold can finally solve his shoulder issues. Foles then may not have such happy feet. Just wish Center was given more IMPORTANCE to how Snead approached it when or if he thought about it one night drinking some fine Scotch. I'm very worried B. Jones looks good this week then his back issue raises its ugly head on a major hit or just a bad or funky twist that is a normal occurance. Who will we have kept for the back-up Center spot? Then what? Just call me concerned. Watch the Saints rock this season with that stud center for Brees. He'll look revived again.
I agree 100% about the back surgery.
But what I have noticed last year and this is he always seems to favor his left leg, foot. Thats the one I believe he had Lisfranc surgery on when he was drafted, Some people have a hard time coming back from that even in normal life let alone as a NFL player.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I'm surprised they have not made a decision yet. Not questioning a coach like Boudreau here, but I think it would be best if they settle it this weekend so the last string of practices include plenty of snaps for the starter to get ready for the Seahawks.

So my guess is they want Jones to step up and take it on Saturday night. I hope that is the way it breaks down for a couple reasons:

1. Of the centers Rhaney is the guy who might be able to help out at OG in a worst case scenario. Best case scenario would be him as backup IMO.

2. I respect Barnes but don't think he has the upside to be any type of answer. If he wins the job he's gonna hold it down until next offseason/draft and hopefully play well enough to give this team a chance.

Lastly I do think the Rams' approach has much to do with the fact that they hope they'll have two dominant OGs in the middle. And if Roger stays healthy I admit it lessens the impact of who will start there because he and Brown would give this team a very powerful interior.
I just wish, all of these guys would also get GAME reps at Guard too, if the end game is finding the best 5, because we need to find the best 8, and the best 10 or 12 too, if you consider the PS.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Seriously though, the answer is David Wang. Look at him destroying Donald right here.

55c4108ced2da.image.jpg

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
If you have 3 Centers, either each is really good.... or you don't have one...

I haven't seen any of them that are really good..... but I'm just hoping now that we end up with a decent/adequate player there.