Rams Hurting: Matthew Stafford Has More Arm Pain

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams hurting: Matthew Stafford has more arm pain; Van Jefferson needs knee surgery

BY GARY KLEIN
STAFF WRITER

Receiver Van Jefferson is not the only member of the Rams passing attack with a physical condition that is cause for concern.

Add quarterback Matthew Stafford to the list.

Jefferson will have knee surgery Tuesday, putting his status for the Sept. 8 opener against the Buffalo Bills “up in the air,” and the Rams took steps to ensure that Stafford is ready to play in that game without lingering pain in his right arm, coach Sean McVay said Monday.

Stafford played through arm pain while leading the Rams to a Super Bowl title, and he received an injection in his elbow during the offseason. He did not throw passes during organized-team activity workouts, but he had been a full participant in training camp practices.

On Saturday, Stafford was asked how his arm felt, and if he was having to do anything different to manage it between workouts.

“It’s coming along,” he said. “I’m kind of right where I want to be and just continue to get it feeling better. Get it stronger.

“As far as things different, piecing this thing together every year is a little bit different,” he said, running his hands in front of his body. “So, yeah, there’s different challenges. We go from there.”

On Monday, Stafford participated in individual drills but did not take part in full-team drills. McVay said Stafford’s workload would be “lessened” during the weeks leading up to the opener because he continues to experience discomfort.

“He’s still feeling a little bit of pain,” McVay said. “He could push through it. ... We felt like the smart thing was let’s really just take it a week at time. ... The most important thing is for him feeling good and healthy on Sept. 8.

“We could certainly push, and he could really grind through this, but that’s not the goal with somebody like him. It’s not something that we’re concerned about, but we just want to be really smart with somebody as important as a quarterback is.”

Jefferson had surgery on his left knee in the weeks following their Super Bowl victory over the Cincinnati Bengals. He did not participate in drills during organized-team activities but made several impressive catches in the first week of training camp before he was absent Saturday.

Tuesday’s procedure will be on the same knee for what McVay described as a “little knee tweak” that was unrelated to last season’s issue.

“It is the same knee, but it is a little different area,” McVay said. “And it’s a minor thing that we’ll be able to clean up.

“So we’re encouraged.”

Jefferson’s absence plunges one of the NFL’s potentially most potent receiving corps into a series of question marks as the Rams prepare for the Bills, who are regarded as a Super Bowl contender.

Cooper Kupp, the reigning NFL offensive player of the year, and new addition Allen Robinson provide McVay and Stafford two elite targets.

But the loss of Jefferson could cut deep.

The third-year pro last season caught 50 passes, six for touchdowns. He also displayed deep-play capability and averaged 16 yards per catch.

Second-year pros Ben Skowronek and Tutu Atwell are in line to replace Jefferson.

Skowronek, a seventh-round draft pick, caught 11 passes for 133 yards last season. He can play numerous receiver positions and also excels on special teams.

Atwell, a second-round pick, is attempting to come back from a disappointing rookie season. The 5-foot-9, 165-pound Atwell appeared overmatched and could not find a role as a receiver. He returned kicks for eight games until he suffered a season-ending shoulder injury.

During the offseason, Atwell sought guidance from Kupp and worked closely with the All-Pro to improve and gain strength. He made several plays Monday.

McVay also continues to openly court free agent receiver Odell Beckham Jr. to re-sign with the Rams.

Last season, Beckham signed with the Rams after the trade deadline and helped them make their Super Bowl run. He suffered a knee injury in the second quarter of the Super Bowl and has been recovering from surgery.

Beckham is not expected to be ready to play until midseason.

But after McVay listed the receivers on the roster who could benefit from increased opportunity, he could not help adding a rejoinder.

“And then we’ll continue to see if we can continue to figure when Odell will come back at some point as well,” he said.

LA Times

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm very concerned about this and felt it needed it's own thread. If mods disagree, please merge.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I remember Kurt Warner's second year with the Rams he mentioned a sore arm in camp. He said it happens every year because they throw more in camp. I guess its what they mean by arm fatigue. At least I hope that is the case with Stafford.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
I'm very concerned about this and felt it needed it's own thread. If mods disagree, please merge.
Meh.

This is the kind of story that wouldn’t have even been reported before the internet/social media era. A clear case of too much information. When he’s questionable for a real game, I’ll worry. Until then, not so much.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
1+1=2

So you're telling me if you throw the football a lot your arm gets sore? FuckinA

oldnotdead

Legend
I think Harris and Tutu can hold the fort until Jefferson returns. OBJ won't be ready until mid-December. They can even play Higbee out there on occasion. McVay plays a lot of bunched formations perhaps more so than the more conventional 11 personnel alignment. It's why they could use their TEs as well as Skowronek, Harris, and Tutu. I'm not concerned. McVay has options.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Harris get more snaps with the ones now. He brings more to the table than Skowronek who is a limited possession type receiver. Both Harris and Tutu provide a greater threat level than Ben. Harris in particular brings a tall and very fast target into that Y position.

Stafford is showing his wear and tear. That is why I've always assumed this is his one and only contract. Tendonitis is a progressive disease and will only get worse as he ages. IMO they will hang on to Perkins for at least one more year due to Stafford's arm, and the question marks at QB in SF and Seattle. Perez is a better option than Wolford but he's not a starter and neither is Wolford.

Perkins isn't a deep-strike thrower. That said his game is a 10-25 yards downfield passing game. It will be interesting to see if he's strengthened his arm. I like his throwing motion which is compact and quick. He also brings an aspect to the game that none of the others can. Perkins is a very good running QB when he has to. He can pick up a 3rd and long with his arm or his legs. He's downright fast. He showed good development last year as a pocket passer and if he has built upon that he's a legitimate backup/starter. At 6'3" and 215 lbs he's not small.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Not a mod, but I agree. Didn't throw in the offseason program and was supposed to be "good to go" for camp.
Is it a big deal? No idea, but it's something. And I'd rather have nothing than something going on with my QBs arm in training camp.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Not a mod, but I agree. Didn't throw in the offseason program and was supposed to be "good to go" for camp.
Is it a big deal? No idea, but it's something. And I'd rather have nothing than something going on with my QBs arm in training camp.
Not just that, but all the videos we've seen from camp have been him throwing at like 70% effort or with way less velocity than normal. He's obviously restraining himself and 5 weeks before the season starts that's not great news. He needs to throw to get his arm back in shape and can't do that if he's in pain.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I'm not concerned about Stafford arm once the season starts he will play through whatever pain he has. What does concern me is, how many more seasons will he want to play through the pain. Stafford is as tough as they come, but having won a Super Bowl, possibly 2, will he still have the desire to play through the pain?

As I have learned, it gets harder to work/play through the pain as you get older.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I'm optimistically thinking this just falls in line with how McVay always rests his well-seasoned vets and puts a big emphasis on health and physically peaking at the right times, when it counts, no starters in preseason, etc. Apart from building some chemistry with ARob, does he really need to be out there?

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
For those who like facts and direct quotes, here are a few:

From day 1 of camp:
Stafford told reporters that he’s “definitely knocking some rust off and feeling it again.” Seeing how his elbow reacts to a throwing session after missing spring workouts.

Sean McVay said Stafford will be on a “pitch count” during training camp, but the elbow didn’t restrict him from doing anything on the first day.

“It’s an interesting thing, trying to have a little bit of governor on there and at the same time, just try and be as smart as I can. It’s a process,” Stafford said, via the LA Times. “Gonna have to sit there, work through it, trust it, and we’ll figure it out as we go.”

On Saturday:
“It’s coming along,” Stafford told reporters. “I’m kind of right where I want to be and just continue to get it feeling better. Get it stronger. You just lose those reps through the offseason and [I’m] trying to gain some of those reps back at the moment.”

Yesterday:
“We’d lessened Matthew’s workload today,” coach Sean McVay told reporters on Monday. “Really when we look at it, we’ve got five weeks until September 8. He’s still feeling a little bit of pain, he could push through it. You guys have been out here, he’s been throwing and competing in team settings. We felt like the smart thing was let’s really just take it a week at a time.

“He ended up getting about 40 to 50 throws in individual. We didn’t take part in the team activities and that’s really more a result of he’s got so much experience. The most important thing is for him feeling good and healthy on September 8. We could certainly push and he could really grind through this, but that’s not the goal with somebody like him. It’s not something that we’re concerned about. We just want to be really smart with somebody that is as important as our quarterback is and as experienced as he is to be able to put together a plan that we feel like is in his best interest and in our team’s best interest.”

Draw your own conclusions.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
This elbow issue might be a managed prob for Stafford the rest of his career. Good thing is he won that ring already. Thankful for that.

Rams need to start taking shots at QBs in the draft. Get one they really like aligned behind Stafford. I figure that is in play next year, then you milk out 9's remaining time as much as you can while the kid learns the offense for hopefully a couple seasons on the sideline.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Draw your own conclusions.
I draw that everything was okay until he started throwing and now he's experiencing some pain and they are managing him accordingly.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Anyone that says there is definitely no reason to be concerned is not a former athlete that has dealt with chronic soft tissue injuries.

Chronic soft tissue injuries range in severity to a huge degree. Some will nag you forever and you'll never quite feel like 100% yourself again. I know because I've dealt with them first hand.

You have to think that NFLers like Stafford have better genetics than a guy like me, not to mention access to top notch treatments, and far more time in the day of focus on rehab/treatment/etc. as it is their full time job. I am not saying it is time panic. But at the end of the day, it's a human body, approaching its mid-to-late-30s, that has been asked to perform repetitive and demanding motions endlessly for years, while taking a pounding from NFL defenders. Yeah. I'd say things could be starting to develop/worsen for Mr. Stafford, to the point that fans would notice a decline on the football field. Stafford under-threw quite a few deep balls last year. Maybe his chronic issue means he'll never get that last 10 yards back on his deep ball? Who knows. If that's the extent of his functional limitations - if any - that is hardly a doomsday scenario.

I'm not going to worry until I see decline on the field. But I don't think it as simple as saying an athlete can play through pain. Pain tolerance might not be the issue.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
I draw that everything was okay until he started throwing and now he's experiencing some pain and they are managing him accordingly.
Not sure how you got there when McVay said he’d be on a pitch count from day 1. Sounds like “a little bit of pain” was expected.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Not sure how you got there when McVay said he’d be on a pitch count from day 1. Sounds like “a little bit of pain” was expected.
No matter how they spin it, this is a major concern. He's been off all Spring and he is in some pain already after a few days. I don't like that.