Rams hoping the 'other' Michael Thomas turns into a draft steal

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams hoping the 'other' Michael Thomas turns into a draft steal
By Nick Wagoner

[espn.go.com]

LOS ANGELES -- New Los Angeles Rams receiver Michael Thomas didn't have to wait long to hear his name called during the NFL draft.

Sitting at home with friends and family in Chicago, Thomas watched as former Saints running back Deuce McAllister stepped to the podium and called his name with the 47th overall pick in the draft. Under normal circumstances, Thomas would have been excited for the culmination of his football dreams. But there was one big problem.

New Orleans was picking a different Michael Thomas. The Saints went with the Ohio State version, a player who had long been pegged as a first or second-round choice and had attended the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis.

Instead of landing with the Saints or at any time in the second round, Thomas had to wait much longer to hear his name again, listening intently for the designation of "from Southern Mississippi" to be sure it was right.

As it turned out, the Rams finally came calling in the sixth round, using pick No. 206 to secure Thomas' services. For Thomas, being chosen behind someone sharing his name wasn't nearly as surprising as having to wait until the draft's penultimate round.

“I was anticipating going earlier, but I was just being patient and didn’t let it get to me," Thomas said. "I just knew I was going to get picked, but I didn’t know when."

Actually, Thomas had some preconceived projections for his draft status that fall in line with where the other Thomas went.

“To be honest, probably second through the fourth, no later than the fourth," Thomas said. "But, obviously that didn’t happen. I just stayed patient and kept thinking positive about it and here I am.”

Thomas' surprise at lasting as long as he did is actually well-founded. After bouncing from junior college to Southern Miss, Thomas was one of the country's most productive receivers. In 2015, he finished with 71 catches for 1,391 yards and 14 touchdowns. At 6-foot-1, 200 pounds, it wasn't like Thomas lacked size and reports pegged his 40-yard dash time at his pro day in the 4.4-4.5 second range so speed wasn't necessarily the issue, either.

Of course, had Thomas posted those numbers at the combine, his stock probably would have soared when matched with his production.

“It was really a surprise," Thomas said of not getting a combine invite. "That just motivated me more to keep going. That put a lot of fire in me to keep going, keep working hard, and thinking positive the whole way through.”

Thomas said after the draft that he didn't think the lack of a combine invite hurt his stock but he also couldn't quite put his finger on why he didn't go earlier. Even the deeper analytical sites like Pro Football Focus believe Thomas has the look of a potential late-round bargain. PFF recently named Thomas one of its top 10 sleeper picks in the draft after giving him the 11th highest grade of all wideouts in this year's draft class.

According to PFF's metrics, Thomas averaged 2.98 yards per route run, which was fifth best among receivers in the class.

"Michael is a guy who played at Southern Miss, and played on the outside there," Rams general manager Les Snead said. "He ran a lot of routes for them and caught a lot of balls. What you notice about him is being able to catch the ball when there was a defender near him, and pluck the ball out of the air when somebody was covering him or draped on his back, per se.”

After the draft, one Rams personnel man agreed with the assessment that Thomas could be the sleeper of the class. In joining the Rams, Thomas finds himself in position to make a run at a roster spot.

In terms of true outside receivers, the Rams have only Kenny Britt and Brian Quick on the roster. Britt and Quick will be unrestricted free agents after the season and Quick has never lived up to his draft status as an early second-round pick. If Thomas can pick up the offense and NFL route tree in short order, he should have a chance to not just secure a spot on the 53-man roster but possibly even contribute as a rookie.

“I bring dynamic playmaking skills," Thomas said. "I can stretch the field, make things happen, make plays, execute plays, and that’s what I’m looking forward to doing with the Rams. Keep making plays, executing, and winning games.”

And perhaps make a name for himself in the process.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I like rookies....but until I see wonderlic scores on these guys, I'm pretty reserved in thinking they'll contribute in their first season....Isn't the playbook still written in latin?

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
Fisher & Snead are broadcasting to the recent WR corp. And the message is "you gotta earn your spot". And to me, the guy who must fight for and earn his spot,besides Britt and Austin, is Brian Quick.

The Rams rookie WR corp are hungrier and motivated as they're the late round picks and UDFA with a chip on their shoulder and trying to prove that they belong on the Rams and in the NFL.

Jared Goff will have his weapons to throw to. Fisher and Snead are bringing intense competition to what was the weakest spot on the Rams roster.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Fisher & Snead are broadcasting to the recent WR corp. And the message is "you gotta earn your spot". And to me, the guy who must fight for and earn his spot,besides Britt and Austin, is Brian Quick.

The Rams rookie WR corp are hungrier and motivated as they're the late round picks and UDFA with a chip on their shoulder and trying to prove that they belong on the Rams and in the NFL.

Jared Goff will have his weapons to throw to. Fisher and Snead are bringing intense competition to what was the weakest spot on the Rams roster.
I love the approach actually. It's really smart. Light a fire under these guys and see who jumps highest. As you say - they seem to have targeted these talented guys who were a bit snubbed and who have got a chip on ther shoulders for a reason. Let the competition begin!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I love the approach actually. It's really smart. Light a fire under these guys and see who jumps highest. As you say - they seem to have targeted these talented guys who were a bit snubbed and who have got a chip on ther shoulders for a reason. Let the competition begin!
(y)(y):D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D(=14 WR's!)

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
I like rookies....but until I see wonderlic scores on these guys, I'm pretty reserved in thinking they'll contribute in their first season....Isn't the playbook still written in latin?

Either that or Arabic. But for sure I know the coaches read it with their back to the players. (n)

I do like Thomas. It may come down to Thomas on the PS and take a chance he'll be snagged or put him on the 53 and cut Quick.

lockdnram21

Legend
Either that or Arabic. But for sure I know the coaches read it with their back to the players. (n)

I do like Thomas. It may come down to Thomas on the PS and take a chance he'll be snagged or put him on the 53 and cut Quick.
Marquez will be gone before Quick

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I have been on the Thomas bandwagon since early January. I was surprised that he didn't get a combine invite. He has good hands, has some speed and his ability to go up and get it is great. He made some very tough catches for S.Miss.

I would like to know why so many teams passed on him.

RamzFanz

Damnit
the guy who must fight for and earn his spot,besides Britt and Austin

Austin isn't going to have to fight for anything. He's as locked in as locked in can get.

I don't see it. Quick, as of now, is almost a complete bust. Marquez may not be great, but he's good and reliable like a Wes Welker. He also contributes on ST.

Quick has the measurables, but they aren't translating, and his hands have been OK whereas Marquez has zero drops. Can Quick even run a proper route? I can't even swear he understands the playbook yet. He was a ghost last season.

We could blame QB play but then how did Britt have 19 YPR and so many more receptions?

Not saying he couldn't emerge. He had a notable rookie season and he's fast. But I have to believe he's the first starting vet out the door if rookies show up big.

Last edited:

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Austin isn't going to have to fight for anything. He's as locked in as locked in can get.

I don't see it. Quick, as of now, is almost a complete bust. Marquez may not be great, but he's good and reliable like a Wes Welker. He also contributes on ST.

Quick has the measurables, but they aren't translating, and his hands have been OK whereas Marquez has zero drops. Can Quick even run a proper route? I can't even swear he understands the playbook yet. He was a ghost last season.

We could blame QB play but then how did Britt have 19 YPR and so many more receptions?

Not saying he couldn't emerge. He had a notable rookie season and he's fast. But I have to believe he's the first starting vet out the door if rookies show up big.
I doubt he would have gotten a new contract if the Rams felt he was anything close to a bust. I think they feel like he's cleared a huge hurdle playing sparingly and not getting hurt again last year, especially the hit he took in the last game of the year. Now that he's getting a little more money I think he has to be 3rd on the chart and it will take some doing to knock Quick off this roster.

Should be great to watch over the OTAs and preseason, hopefully we'll start getting daily reports detailing the competition.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame

RE: Quick he was a ghost last season at least in part due to rehabbing from a terrible injury. If he's not back to where he was getting to the year before then yes - you're right he's a full on bust. But I think he needs another real actual year to assess properly.

Athos

Legend

Lol no. Your Quick era is almost at an end.

Marquez is a ST gem and looked great as a WR late in the season if there'd been a decent QB to get him the ball and numbskulls not creating penalties.

Quick doesn't ST. If Thomas explodes or even McRoberts or North flash, Quick is gone.

lockdnram21

Legend
Lol no. Your Quick era is almost at an end.

Marquez is a ST gem and looked great as a WR late in the season if there'd been a decent QB to get him the ball and numbskulls not creating penalties.

Quick doesn't ST. If Thomas explodes or even McRoberts or North flash, Quick is gone.
He looked OK as wr. Now we have cooper and Higbee will be in slot a lot. Don't bank on Quick being gone. He has to stink it up in camp for him to do that. PS and I'm not saying I want Quick to be here cause I don't. Just feel as Quick as they signed him they really wanted him. Marquez will be cut or practice squad

lockdnram21

Legend

Just watch and see.

Final six will be
Austin
Britt
Cooper
Quick
Thomas
Those are locks to me
With north, marquez, and Mcroberts battling for last spot

lockdnram21

Legend
I doubt he would have gotten a new contract if the Rams felt he was anything close to a bust. I think they feel like he's cleared a huge hurdle playing sparingly and not getting hurt again last year, especially the hit he took in the last game of the year. Now that he's getting a little more money I think he has to be 3rd on the chart and it will take some doing to knock Quick off this roster.

Should be great to watch over the OTAs and preseason, hopefully we'll start getting daily reports detailing the competition.
This^^^^^

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave

Marquez will make the 53, Quick maybe, maybe not. Marquez contributes on almost if not all ST, Quick might want to start playin a lil ST himself. I really want Quick to return to where he was before his shoulder injury, just dont know if he will ever regain the confidence he had before he got hurt.

lockdnram21

Legend
Marquez will make the 53, Quick maybe, maybe not. Marquez contributes on almost if not all ST, Quick might want to start playin a lil ST himself. I really want Quick to return to where he was before his shoulder injury, just dont know if he will ever regain the confidence he had before he got hurt.
Put it like this I don't think marquez will see much time at wr this year if any.