Rams hire DL coach Eric Henderson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
For those of you who have been wondering if Wade will retire, consider the fact the Rams have hired his son to be TE coach. I would think Wade would stay on a least for another season just to say they coached together for at least one season and be the first father-son to win a SB.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
. Because the line as a whole was not great under his watch.

In fairness, Johnson was there a while, so he did have some success, but Henderson seems to be on the rise as he was the Assistant DL Coach with the Chargers and his contract was up he wanted to coach his own group, so it seems like a great fit.

Again nothing against Johnson, but I concur with @jrry32 if Wade Phillips is allowing a close friend and veteran Coach go in Johnson, Henderson must be somebody the Rams like very much.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I didn't mean to doubt. I was just hoping we had something specific to get excited about.

Well, Henderson has had success at the collegiate level and at the NFL Level, plus he's a former player which helps in getting buy in from players. Add in a young defensive coach that was sought after by a couple of organizations.

So go ahead @1maGoh go crazy, go crazy!

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Just a side point and something I found interesting is that we are getting him from our cross town rivals and future stadium mold growing piece of crap.
Huh???? The lased has a mold problem??? All the rain I guess? Please elaborate if so.....

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
My one complaint is that I'm not a fan of Joe Barry. I was hoping we'd replace him.

That's going to be a tough one Counselor and I knew that when they showed McVay & Barry biking together when McVay was hired. Barry is fine as LB Coach IMO, he's had some success, but would I love the Rams to hire a LB Coach and keep Barry as Assistant Head Coach only? That's a resounding yes, but doubtful IMO. My hope is when Wade retires or leaves when his son Wes gets a Head Coaching gig, McVay does not promote Barry and he becomes McVay's Larry Marmie.

It does not seem like that would happen, but until it unfolds I will always be a tad nervous because Barry has been a defensive coordinator with the Detroit Lions and the Washington Redskins and his defenses were always at the bottom and that's being nice.

imrs.php

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
In fairness, Johnson was there a while, so he did have some success, but Henderson seems to be on the rise as he was the Assistant DL Coach with the Chargers and his contract was up he wanted to coach his own group, so it seems like a great fit.

Again nothing against Johnson, but I concur with @jrry32 if Wade Phillips is allowing a close friend and veteran Coach go in Johnson, Henderson must be somebody the Rams like very much.
Yes there were many of us that thought that the Rams Org needed to bring in some new blood to the defenseive side to help Wade out my No#1 was the DL coach.

Another benefit that the Rams get from this hire might be with the four Chargers UFA DL'ers:
Darius Philon DL'er 6-1 300
Brandon Mebane Nost Tackle 6-1 315
Damion Square DT 6-2 295
Corey Liuget Nost Tackle 6-2 300

I would try to entice old man & former Ram killer Mebane in here for his last two yrs before he retires to start @ NT on run downs.

I have let it be known for a long time that I really like this quick of the ball Philon too. Philon is the type of DL'er who Wade would love to add to this DL. He could play both the 3 tech & the 5 tech DL posts.

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend
Hiring Eric Henderson seems like a good move. Former player that has made the college coaching rounds and been an assistant defensive line coach in the NFL. Interesting to see what direction the Rams go with the defensive line with a new coach.

Another benefit that the Rams get from this hire might be with the four Chargers UFA DL'ers:
Darius Philon DL'er 6-1 300
Brandon Mebane Nost Tackle 6-1 315
Damion Square DT 6-2 295
Corey Liuget Nost Tackle 6-2 300

Has to make you think he could bring one over. Mebane could be a nice year cap filler as he is 34 YOA. Luiget is younger at 29.

How and where does he see Brockers fitting in?

How does he view the young guys and backups that didn't play much?

It should be good to bring in some fresh eyes to reevaluate the entire defensive line group. I think this move is the beginning of some bigger changes on the defensive line. AD needs some help.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
McVay has used some new uncommon titles for NFL team coaches too. Shane Waldron was the Passing game OC & TE coach but dropped the TE's & added the QB coaching duties. So now has a new title of Offensive Coordinador/Passing Game/Qb's coach.

Jedd Fisch was the senior offensive assistant in 2018 now promoted to a new title of Assistant Offensive Coordinator. Fisch specialty is in the passing game. Guess he will serve under Waldron?

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
McVay has used some new uncommon titles for NFL team coaches too. Shane Waldron was the Passing game OC & TE coach but dropped the TE's & added the QB coaching duties. So now has a new title of Offensive Coordinador/Passing Game/Qb's coach.

Jedd Fisch was the senior offensive assistant in 2018 now promoted to a new title of Assistant Offensive Coordinator. Fisch specialty is in the passing game. Guess he will serve under Waldron?

It's about titles and empowering your assistants. The titles help coaches when they go for interviews as Head Coaches, so next year I would not be shocked if the Rams lost Waldron as a Head Coach and Jedd Fisch as a collegiate Head Coach.

After the Rams win the Super Bowl next year, Waldron will be the hot commoditiy being that he coached under Belichick & McVay and would not shock me if Waldron replaces Ron Rivera in Carolina in 2020. Just to throw something out there early.