Rams hire DL coach Eric Henderson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
https://www.chargers.com/team/coaches-roster/eric-henderson

Former NFL defensive lineman Eric Henderson “Coach Henny” will begin his second season as the Chargers assistant defensive line coach in 2018.

In his first year with the organization, the Chargers ranked fifth in the NFL with 43 sacks. Joey Bosa garnered his first Pro Bowl selection while Melvin Ingram also earned a spot in the annual all-star game. Bosa ranked seventh in the league with a career-high 12.5 sacks while Ingram equaled his career-best with 10.5 sacks.

A native of New Orleans, La., Henderson was a three-time All-Atlantic Coast Conference defensive end at Georgia Tech before spending three years in the National Football League with the Cincinnati Bengals (2006-08). As a collegian, Henderson set a school record at Georgia Tech for career tackles for loss (59.5) while also racking up 175 tackles, eight pass breakups and seven forced fumbles. His 25 career sacks rank fourth in school history. Following his NFL career, Henderson spent three seasons (2009-11) with the Las Vegas Locomotives of the United Football League, helping the team win a pair of League championships.

In 2012, Henderson segued into coaching as a defensive assistant at Georgia Military College, where he worked with the outside linebackers and secondary. Henderson helped coach the Bulldogs to a 7-4 record and an appearance in the CHAMPS Heart of Texas Bowl.

In 2013, Henderson moved on to Oklahoma State where he spent three seasons (2012-15) as a graduate assistant and a third (2015) as a defensive quality control coach. During his three years in Stillwater, the Cowboys went 27-12 and made three bowl appearances. Henderson helped tutor defensive end Emmanuel Ogbah, who earned All-America accolades, was named Big 12 Conference Defensive Player of the Year in 2015 and was drafted in the second round of the 2016 NFL Draft (32nd overall) by the Cleveland Browns.

Henderson spent the 2016 season as the defensive line coach at Texas-San Antonio. The Roadrunners went 6-6 during the regular season before facing New Mexico in the Gildan New Mexico Bowl.

Henderson earned a bachelor’s degree in management from Georgia Tech and is working toward a master’s degree in educational psychology.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Did I miss something? What happened to Bill Johnson?
Rams hiring Eric Henderson as defensive line coach

The Los Angeles Rams are adding a new member to their coaching staff, hiring Eric Henderson to be their new defensive line coach, according to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network.

It’s especially significant in the #FightForLA, as Henderson is being hired away from the Chargers, where he had served as their assistant defensive line coach. It’s unclear at this moment what’s happening with current Rams defensive line coach Bill Johnson, although it’s possible he’s no longer with the team.

Henderson played college ball at Georgia Tech, and then spent a few years in the league with the Bengals. A defensive end himself, Henderson then worked his way up the coaching ranks, going from the Georgia Military College to Oklahoma State to the Chargers in 2017.

It’s the latest instance of turnover for the Rams’ coaching staff in what’s been a busy offseason. Quarterbacks coach Zac Taylor left to take the Bengals’ head coaching job, Shane Waldron was moved to quarterbacks coach, and Jedd Fisch was promoted to assistant coordinator/offense. The team also hired Wade Phillips’ son, Wes Phillips, to be their tight ends coach.

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2019/02/22/rams-hire-eric-henderson-as-defensive-line-coach/

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Love this hire, Bill Johnson IMO was one of the weak links on the coaching staff!
8IucnQLp_400x400.jpg

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Agree, I love the move. Just caught me by surprise, as I hadn't heard anything about Johnson.

Well, many felt he was an assistant the Rams could upgrade and @jrry32 before the playoffs made this recommendation of replacing Johnson. Johnson one of the good ole boys and I think good friends with Wade, but Henderson is an upgrade and I applaud McVay for having an eye for coaching talent on the defensive side of the ball too.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's an interesting move. I trust McVay and Wade's ability to evaluate other coaches. I did feel we needed to make some changes on defense. My one complaint is that I'm not a fan of Joe Barry. I was hoping we'd replace him.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I think due to the friendship w/ McVay its going to take Barry to "shit the bed" to get replaced. He was the weakest coach to date imho. Barry is overrated

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Love this hire, Bill Johnson IMO was one of the weak links on the coaching staff!
8IucnQLp_400x400.jpg

Saints fans laughed at the rams signing him. They said their dline was ineffective when he was it's coach. As soon as he left they began getting pressure on the qb and played better as a group. Now fans are fans and the upgrade of their defense at other positions would have undoubtedly helped their dline, but i thought i would share their views. Because the line as a whole was not great under his watch.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I see some kinks in the linebackers and I believe thats in the Joe Barry department. As Jrry mentioned his opinions toward him. And I concur. Yeah Johnson had to go, but Barry should be in that same boat...We’ll see I guess...

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Joe Barry was the Redskins' DC for a while, and was considered ineffective and was very unpopular. I think prior he was with the Lions during their disastrous season(s)?

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Just a side point and something I found interesting is that we are getting him from our cross town rivals and future stadium mold growing piece of crap.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Wow, called it!! In a previous thread earlier in the year we discussed possible changes and Johnson being fired/let go was a prediction I think many of us shared. Just not enough production around our STUD AD.

Here’s hoping whatever he did with Bosa/Ingram/Luigit he does with our boys!

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Do we actually know anything useful about him? He's coaches at some colleges and assisted with the chargers. Do we know what kind of impact he's had or anything like that?

I'd love to be able to point to something and say "he does this thing well which will help us".

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Joe Barry might be on thinner ice than we think, guys. He might be sweating bullets as we speak.

I mean, if we can see it surely McVay and Wade can see it.

Another thing. Gotta admire the way McVay is willing to crack some eggs in order to make his omelet.

Doesn’t seem to put much stock in the “good ole boys” network like some other HC’s have done, to their sorrow.

Maybe this Henderson cat is another Kromer type steal. We’ll see.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Do we actually know anything useful about him? He's coaches at some colleges and assisted with the chargers. Do we know what kind of impact he's had or anything like that?

I'd love to be able to point to something and say "he does this thing well which will help us".

He's a young coach. But I'm not one to doubt McVay or Wade on this. If Wade is willing to let a close coaching friend go for a young coach, that guy must have ability.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
He's a young coach. But I'm not one to doubt McVay or Wade on this. If Wade is willing to let a close coaching friend go for a young coach, that guy must have ability.
I didn't mean to doubt. I was just hoping we had something specific to get excited about.